NEurope
Wii

Amiibo: General grievances thread

Let's try this again, shall we? :p

This is a thread to discuss general annoyances about amiibo. Be it paywalled on disc content, overpricing, scalpers, shortages, order limits, etc.

I think everybody knows I don't like amiibo. And if I did like them, I may have an even bigger problem with them because they seem so hard to buy. My biggest problem with them is the paywalled on disc content. I don't agree with it and I don't like that they're getting an increasing role within games and where they'll eventually lead.

I don't see amiibo doing anything in game that couldn't be done without them. The only thing they can do is transfer save data from one Wii U to another. But there are other ways around that. They also have very limited memory which can be a problem if you want to use them on multiple games.

To those that say the content wouldn't exist without amiibo, that simply isn't true. There's been countless examples of content(e.g. cheat codes) that could have been locked to amiibo in previous generations had they been around. We only need look at Bayonetta 2. That game has Samus, Link, Peach, Daisy and Fox costumes. They exist and yet are not locked to amiibo. Or todays example. The unlockable Yoshi skins based on the Smash Bros. amiibo was said wouldn't exist without amiibo. There's no reason why they couldn't. The other alternatives exist within the game and they've no amiibo.

If I've paid for a game, I should be entitled to all the content on the disc. I don't get a discount for not having access to that content. People can say they're collectibles with the added benefit of some extra content within games. I don't see them like that. Nearly every game now seems to be getting their own amiibo collection.

Then there's other problems, like what if you want the content but not the amiibo clogging up your space? Where's the alternative methods of buying said content? Or what if you want the content and can't buy the amiibo which is a real problem?

I will say to their credit, the production of the amiibo now compared to launch are vastly superior in quality. I wouldn't mind amiibo if they were kept away from games. Have them as collectibles, fine, no problem. But when they start impinging on my hobby and telling me there's content right in front of you but you can't have it unless you buy a key. No thanks.

There's other problems but they're more for those of you that do collect the amiibo.

I wish they were more readily available. I hate being forced to buy every single one of 'em immediately.

Even Japan seemed to be short on figures. Mostly just common ones available everywhere.

As for the game stuff, I'm pretty okay with it. I bought them as figures. I think their unlocks are best kept to minor extra content like skins though - more substantial stuff runs the risk of just pissing off fans who can't get hold of the required figures.

If it's a downloaded update to the game is okay then? Just the on-disk locked content?

Don't take this the wrong way, but how long will you moan about it for? Until it stops? They're here, they're very successful, you know most nintendo games will be using them so are you going to moan after every single release? Not having a go, genuine question. Star Fox will use them, Mario Maker will, Zelda will, I think every single nintendo game will use them. Is there ever a point you just accept it?

I wonder if people would mind Amiibo less if the content they offered was actually considerably more substantial? Like it was actually proper story/levels/maps DLC for games.

Maybe it being such small little extras actually makes it a bit more annoying?

Mind you, if Amiibo were to be how you purchased proper DLC for Nintendo's games, they'd have to be available to everyone who wants it, so not gonna happen.

Ask 99% of people who buy amiibos and they'll tell you they bought them to have a neat little figurine for their desk or to collect or whatever. No one buys them for in-game skins. The fact that they unlock minor stuff in game is there to reward collectors. I know all this will once again go over your head, but maybe a small part will finally sink in.

And in terms of value, they really are excellent. One figure can unlock so much in multiple games, it's a great business model by the big N.

If it's a downloaded update to the game is okay then? Just the on-disk locked content?

Don't take this the wrong way, but how long will you moan about it for? Until it stops? They're here, they're very successful, you know most nintendo games will be using them so are you going to moan after every single release? Not having a go, genuine question. Star Fox will use them, Mario Maker will, Zelda will, I think every single nintendo game will use them. Is there ever a point you just accept it?

No. No. Indefinitely. Yes. Yes. No. There's your answers.

You like them, good for you. I don't. Would you look at that, we have different opinions. That's what this thread is for. You don't have to come into this thread. I'm not going to attack you because you like them. How did we cope without amiibo beforehand? They don't make a game any better.

I get your point, @Wii, and if there is ever a time where I feel like I'm genuinely missing out by not having access to an Amiibo then I'm sure I would be more concerned about the whole thing.

As it is, though, I enjoy having things like the Mario Kart 8 costumes and the upcoming Yoshi's Woolly World patterns are another nice inclusion :smile: It's not like I'm missing out on any stages or anything important by not having every Amiibo.

I actually worry more about games that are more centrally focused on online play or even subscription services like PlayStation Plus. I loved Mario Strikers: Charged Football on Wii, for example, and a huge part of that was the amazing time spent playing online. None of my friends like the game, so the offline multiplayer is of no use to me, and now the online is disabled due to the servers being shut down, which was inevitable eventually :hmm:

While Amiibo may access some content locked on a game disc, there are modes in other games that will eventually becomed locked permanently when the online mode is no longer accessible. I can't unlock patterns for my bike in ExciteBike: World Challenge anymore due to this, which is unfortunate.

Subscription services scare me more, however. There's a relatively strong argument for suggestions that PS+, which offers games access to loads of 'free' games each month, amongst other things, is excellent value for money. For certain types of gamers this is true but what happens to all of these games that you currently have access to if the service is no longer available?

I know I went a little off topic there, but the point remains that there's plenty of other things that concern me significantly more than whether I can access a Link costume for my Mii, or not :heh:

Edited by nekunando

Subscription services scare me more, however. There's a relatively strong argument for suggestions that PS+, which offers games access to loads of 'free' games each month, amongst other things, is excellent value for money. For certain types of gamers this is true but what happens to all of these games that you currently have access to if the service is no longer available?

The whole point of PS+ is that you no longer have access to the games when you stop paying. That's why you get so many games with it.

And in terms of value, they really are excellent. One figure can unlock so much in multiple games, it's a great business model by the big N.

Unlocking the content already on your disc. Bargain.

Certainly is, especially when you get content from more than half a dozen games from the same figurine. A figurine which would cost just as much in shops without NFC functionality.

The whole point of PS+ is that you no longer have access to the games when you stop paying. That's why you get so many games with it.

I know, so you wouldn't be able to play any of the games you downloaded from the service unless you keep paying Sony money forever :blank:

Like I said, the model will suit plenty of people but, personally, I'm not sure I'd be fond of spending the money each month and not really owning anything, especially if access could be taken away for a multitude of reasons, be it Sony discontinuing the service or them no longer being in business.

I don't really want to take the discussion too far away from Amiibo, though, so I'll leave it at that :grin:

No. No. Indefinitely. Yes. Yes. No. There's your answers.

You like them, good for you. I don't. Would you look at that, we have different opinions. That's what this thread is for. You don't have to come into this thread. I'm not going to attack you because you like them. How did we cope without amiibo beforehand? They don't make a game any better.

But it's not about a difference of opinion, I know you don't like them, fine, I just wanted to know how long you were going to moan and bitch about it that's all. Just wondered if you'd ever accept it. When something isn't going to change, what's the point?! It's not like you even bitch at nintendo? What do you get out of it? Just to vent?

Isn't online mulitplayer on-disk you have to pay for on the PS4 and XB1?

And I asked him, he said it iSN'T about on-disk DLC. It's just the whole concept of amiibo...

But it's not about a difference of opinion, I know you don't like them, fine, I just wanted to know how long you were going to moan and bitch about it that's all. Just wondered if you'd ever accept it. When something isn't going to change, what's the point?! It's not like you even bitch at nintendo? What do you get out of it? Just to vent?

And I asked him, he said it iSN'T about on-disk DLC. It's just the whole concept of amiibo...

It is about on disc paywalled content. I said at the beginning and end of my first post that it's my biggest problem with them. You need to match up my answers with your questions.

amiibo don't benefit games in any meaningful way. They're a gimmick.

Oh FFS.

THEY ARE FIGURINES!!!!!!!

Get it through your head that they are cool looking COLLECTIBLE FIGURES and that that is the reason people buy them! jesus.

Stop finding things to annoy you, stop nitpicking every single f-ing thing. Sit back. Relax, and just shrug your shoulders. They're wildly popular, people love them and your life or well being is in no way threatened because you miss out on Yoshi skins or Mario Kart racing suits.

Again, in case you missed it, one more time: THEY ARE PLASTIC FIGURINES. THAT is what you are paying for. Not the unlockables.

Edited by Ronnie

No, it's not. But then you already knew that. Online multiplayer is enabled by servers they keep running and maintain.

@Ronnie just leave it. He left the main thread and took the "complaining" you hate so much elsewhere and you just followed him!

@Ronnie just leave it. He left the main thread and took the "complaining" you hate so much elsewhere and you just followed him!

Alright fine, I will

It is about on disc paywalled content. I said at the beginning and end of my first post that it's my biggest problem with them. You need to match up my answers with your questions.

amiibo don't benefit games in any meaningful way. They're a gimmick.

I wasn't talking to you here.

Though now you're saying it IS on-disk...?!

And you're right, they don't benefit them in a meaningful way, so why do you react the way you do every time a game announces its amiibo functionality?!

I sometimes wish @Wii and @Ronnie were locked on the N-E Disc. I would not be buying those Amiibo ;)

Please take the comment with the light-hearted humour it is intended..

I remember a time where this sort of content could only be unlocked if you had a GBA to connect to your Gamecube. Or an E-card reader to access the extra content in Super Mario Bros 3. Or a Super Game Boy to access extra stuff. Or etc.

Anyway, as long as the content itself is small, I don't really mind whatever in-game content is there locked behind the Amiibos. I've dealt with Fire Emblem musics being hidden behind a special edition Double Dash CD, Ocarina of Time Master Quest inside a special edition Wind Waker, the Tingle Tuner being something that only GBA owners could do*, Pokémon trading depending on a link cable that only a couple of people in school had, and on top of that, the 151st Pokémon being found in a different country altogether.

*(As a side-note, I remember how much people complained that Mewtwo "only" cost an entirely separate console, but he actually didn't. Lucky kids these days, not having in-game content locked behind a handheld!)

The biggest in-game bonus I've seen from an Amiibo was an extra weapon in Hyrule Warriors, which did cross the line of what I consider "small". It was an isolated incident, and nothing similar occurred yet.

Overall, I don't really have an issue with them, as they're collectibles first, and in-game bonuses second. As long as they don't pull off something like the HW example, I'm cool with them.

No, it's not. But then you already knew that. Online multiplayer is enabled by servers they keep running and maintain.

And amiibo functionality takes extra work that needs to be paid for.

Strange Nintendo don't need to charge. Strange Sony didn't last gen either. Strange PC doesn't. Or mobile. Strange strange strange.

I remember a time where this sort of content could only be unlocked if you had a GBA to connect to your Gamecube. Or an E-card reader to access the extra content in Super Mario Bros 3. Or a Super Game Boy to access extra stuff. Or etc.

An amiibo is much cheaper than a GBA and a Super Gameboy...

I wasn't talking to you here.

Though now you're saying it IS on-disk...?!

And you're right, they don't benefit them in a meaningful way, so why do you react the way you do every time a game announces its amiibo functionality?!

I mean what have amiibo got to do with gaming, what is their benefit? Not the content they unlock.