NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

So this is supposed to be getting revealed today. The thread title may need changed as I don't think the name has been confirmed yet.

Yesterday, Kotaku posted some info about the game.

1247750830243440043.png

This fall’s Assassin’s Creed, which will be officially announced tomorrow as Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate, will give players access to two main characters: Jacob and Evie (pictured above in concept art leaked to Kotaku). They’re brother and sister, said a source, and they’ll be heavily involved in the criminal underworld of Victorian London, where the game is set. (We hear it’ll be out this fall for PS4, Xbox One, and PC.)

There have been playable female heroes in Assassin’s Creed games before, most prominently in 2012’s Assassin’s Creed: Liberation, which starred an assassin named Aveline and was reissued for consoles last year. Still, Ubisoft ran into backlash last year during E3 after Assassin’s Creed Unity creative director Alex Amancio said in an interview that the dev team cut female assassins from that game’s co-op because they’d require “double the animations.” Amancio’s comments were mocked by those who felt that the couple hundred or so developers working on the average Assassin’s Creed game could surely have managed. A subsequent statement from Ubisoft noted that “we recognize the valid concern around diversity in video game narrative,” and pointed to the diversity—in terms of gender and ethnicity—of past Creed protagonists.

Shortly after Amancio’s remarks at E3, Far Cry 4 director Alex Hutchinson said that his team was close to adding a female hero but “[didn’t] have a female reading for the character” or “all the animations” in place. He described the omission as frustrating and predicted that such options would be easier to implement in the future.

These soundbites, extrapolated and turned into headlines that didn’t always do justice to the complexity of the issue, led game developers and critics to speak out against Ubisoft on Twitter using the hashtag “#womenaretoohardtoanimate.” So it wouldn’t be shocking to see Ubisoft play up Evie’s role as they start marketing Syndicate tomorrow and at E3 in June.

From what I’ve heard, Jacob will still likely qualify as the game’s main character. The balance in story missions may favor the brother about 75% to 25%, according to a person familiar with Syndicate, who spoke under condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk publicly about the game. Syndicate will not have any multiplayer modes, according to that source, but you’ll be able to swap between Jacob and Evie while exploring the world between missions.

Ubisoft did not respond to a request for comment this morning.

Whatever workload issues were affecting Unity don’t seem to be slowing down the Assassin’s Creed series; Ubisoft seems committed to releasing at least a handful of Assassin’s Creeds, big and small, every single year, and in fact, there are already three others planned for 2015: last month’s Assassin’s Creed: Chronicles: China and two upcoming sequels, set in India and Russia (the China game stars the female assassin Shao Jun). Last year’s main entry, Unity, was a mess in many ways, although the last-gen Rogue was lauded by critics. We’re all hoping this one will be more like the latter.

Victorian London and a female lead, time for me to get back into AC games!

Just... don't release it til it's finished, Ubi.

I wish it was a female lead for all the game really? why are Ubisoft so scared?

Can't wait for more info! haven't bought Unity yet as i had little faith, but this interests me almost as much as Black flag did

Here's hoping it doesn't have game breaking glitches, missing faces and can actually handle a massive crowd without frame-freezing (like Unity did)

I wont be buying this until its much cheaper after launch, if at all. Unity was a mess but I also found it really boring in comparison to other AC games.

will give players access to two main characters: Jacob and Evie. They’re brother and sister, said a source,

But memory is passed down via DNA...

But memory is passed down via DNA...

That rule stopped mattering by 4. The DNA doesnt have to come from the user anymore.

Well, just watched the reveal. Looks good, but i'm reserving judgement.

After seeing how the Witcher 3 makes an open world feel alive and lived in...well, the crap UbiSoft churn out doesn't even come close to cutting it any more. And that grapple hook? Assassin's Creed: Batman? Jog along losers.

Also, the environment thing was meant to be in the very first Assassin's Creed. How has it taken 8 games?

The music was good, though.

The trailer was cool, but that gameplay was boooooring.

Edited by Retro_Link

Not convinced by that.

Didn't play Unity, but it looked rather boring in comparison to Black Flag (Which I genuinely enjoyed).

This looks like another boring AC game with some batman features thrown in.

The setting and location is a selling point I'll give them that, but it looks like Unity again which just didn't interest me whatsoever.

Sure we'll be seeing more if it at E3, but yeah so far not a likely purchase.

Well since i've not got unity i might get this....after launch during a price drop, whilst it looked good the gang thing turned me off - more specifically "EVERYONE I'M A SECRET ASSASSIN SO IS MY SISTER YOU WORK FOR US NOW KEEP IT SECRET ONLY TELL EVERYONE IN THE AREA"

I played it a couple months ago at an event. Felt like a slick Assassin's Creed. Got to say, between AC fatigue and some absolutely brilliant open world games pushing on with the genre and doing lots of new things (like Witcher 3, MGSV and even Batman), this game feels like a tired open world.

Last one I owned was Black Flag which I thoroughly enjoyed. Think it's best for me to pick one of these up every other year or so - definitely want this one!

Reviews are out and the scores seem to be all over the place. Polygon, Gameinformer, Gamespot and IGN all have positive things to say about it, yet other outlets either don't care for it or say it's all a bit meh.

Having enjoyed Black Flag, Rogue and Unity, I think I may give this a whirl sooner rather than later.

Mine came today. (First time shopping with Simply Games - ordered it yesterday, it arrived today, a day early!)

I haven't played an AC since Black Flag, and whilst this isn't a million miles away by any means, it's certainly fun. Been playing it for about seven hours straight so that must be a good sign. London looks great. :D

Thought I was going to be the only one :p

Got it today, but only got to play half an hour before having to leave for work. Will be continuing after a quick dinner.

Actually surprises me it got that good of a score from Gamespot.

I droped Assassins Creed after Black Flag. I might pick this up if I run ut of stuff to play.

My copy arrived earlier, will have most of the evening on it. I have heard that none of the stuff that was in Unity made it over. So none of that log into x website or app to unlock a chest shit, which i hated. No co-op or random missions needing a 2nd player or anything, which sounds promising indeed.