NEurope
Fused King

NINTENDO @ E3: Let the Hype juices flow

The way Nintendo could approach survival horror is with Metroid.

I know I've said it before but if you imagine Dead Space, but with a 3rd person Samus Aran, it's actually a pretty fantastic fit.

You could have mutated Space Pirates and all the bugs the Metroid series is known for providing the scares, and maybe something like the SA-X to keep you on your toes at all times.

Not for Nintendo to approach on the Wii U, but in the hands of a different developer on their next platform maybe.

I've also brought this up from time to time.

After having playing Metroid Fusion and experiencing the survival-horrorish elements in it, I could see how lonesome and scary space exploration would fit the Metroid Franchise.

I'm still game for a Samus X Captain Falcon bounty hunter game though.

A game that could span many genres.

I've also brought this up from time to time.

After having playing Metroid Fusion and experiencing the survival-horrorish elements in it, I could see how lonesome and scary space exploration would fit the Metroid Franchise.

I'm still game for a Samus X Captain Falcon bounty hunter game though.

A game that could span many genres.

Starfox x F-Zero x Metroid as a trilogy. Crossovers aplenty but three separate games with their own separate gameplay but all link together with the narrative and characters.

I'd be all over that.

Starfox x F-Zero x Metroid as a trilogy. Crossovers aplenty but three separate games with their own separate gameplay but all link together with the narrative and characters.

I'd be all over that.

Wow that sounds great

Metroid already contains elements of the horror setting for sure. Tell me that you didn't play certain areas of Super Metroid and weren't shitting bricks? The SA: X was also heart-pounding and even certain moments in Prime, especially the ghosts.

I think I made suggestions related to this before, also think @Retro_Link had similar ideas. It could easily be converted into a survival horror as the settings are already there to be tapped into, whether that's on Zebes, or in something like the Bottle Ship. The soundtrack is haunting at many different points, perfect for something of this type.

The tricky thing would be sorting out the pace of the game as this is where survival horror either lives or dies. Getting that balance right between tension and action is difficult. Alien: Isolation is one of the best games I've ever played, purely because it got the balance right between these two bits of criteria.

I can't see Nintendo going for it, though. We're far more likely to get something like Prime 4 than this almost re-imagining of the Metroid series.

(also, fuck you ALL for completely ignoring that Nintendo had one of the best survival horror games ever with Eternal Darkness on the GameCube)

Metroid already contains elements of the horror setting for sure. Tell me that you didn't play certain areas of Super Metroid and weren't shitting bricks? The SA: X was also heart-pounding and even certain moments in Prime, especially the ghosts.

I think I made suggestions related to this before, also think @Retro_Link had similar ideas. It could easily be converted into a survival horror as the settings are already there to be tapped into, whether that's on Zebes, or in something like the Bottle Ship. The soundtrack is haunting at many different points, perfect for something of this type.

The tricky thing would be sorting out the pace of the game as this is where survival horror either lives or dies. Getting that balance right between tension and action is difficult. Alien: Isolation is one of the best games I've ever played, purely because it got the balance right between these two bits of criteria.

I can't see Nintendo going for it, though. We're far more likely to get something like Prime 4 than this almost re-imagining of the Metroid series.

(also, fuck you ALL for completely ignoring that Nintendo had one of the best survival horror games ever with Eternal Darkness on the GameCube)

Eternal Darkness was the one reason I felt the Vitality Sensor could have gaming applications.

Wow that sounds great

Indeed. Though it's really just a fanboy's dream. Imagine a Starfox stage where you're flying in Samus' Gunship as the Arwing is out of commission or something akin to that.

It'll never happen, but damn it'd be sweet.

I said that this would return in the 2015 prediction thread. It could be a remaster or even a full blown remake. It would be a great fit for Retro.

I'd be all over that.

Ugh! - Is how I feel when I see such good ideas for a Nintendo game, but know that the reality is that Nintendo no longer has the ambition and maybe even creativity to even invoke such ideas.

Still waiting for basic instalments of franchises you would expect to have happened already...

(Pokemon, FZero, 1080, Starfox, Excitebikes, amongst the myriad of others)

I felt that way quite a lot through Prime. Maybe it was because I was younger though.

It pulls of horror elements really well. But I think the reason why I found those moments so memorable is because they were [bullshit klaxon] a distinctive part of a bigger thing. Metroid - Prime particularly - is better than just one genre. It was so great because it weaved several of them together; adventure, FPS, puzzle, horror. Setting out to just make a survival horror Metroid seems, I dunno, kinda reductive? I think we need more pure survival horror games, but if a talented studio like Retro was to set out to make one, I think I'd just as rather it be a new IP.

Ugh! - Is how I feel when I see such good ideas for a Nintendo game, but know that the reality is that Nintendo no longer has the ambition and maybe even creativity to even invoke such ideas.

Still waiting for basic instalments of franchises you would expect to have happened already...

(Pokemon, FZero, 1080, Starfox, Excitebikes, amongst the myriad of others)

Oh god...you poked the sleeping bear

tumblr_n65m1nkLiJ1rpn9eno2_r1_500.gif

I couldn't think of anything worse than a Metroid x F-Zero x Starfox crossover! God no!

I just don't think the universes fit together at all. Starfox is too cutesy and F-Zero is too camp. Metroid belongs in it's own universe without any other series tarnishing it.

Oh god...you poked the sleeping bear

tumblr_n65m1nkLiJ1rpn9eno2_r1_500.gif

Yes Pokemon. How the hell can they not see how compatible a game like Pokemon Snap is for the Gamepad?

The Pokemon home console love and ideas were immense back on the 64 and even GC. I mean, things like the Transfer Pak and at least TRYING and adventure WITH a battling mode. I'll always give them credit for TRYING.

Yes Pokemon. How the hell can they not see how compatible a game like Pokemon Snap is for the Gamepad?

The Pokemon home console love and ideas were immense back on the 64 and even GC. I mean, things like the Transfer Pak and at least TRYING and adventure WITH a battling mode. I'll always give them credit for TRYING.

Oh you're talking spin-off, not main series. The sleeping bear has been subdued

tumblr_mn3rdtG3AB1qme8z3o1_400.giftumblr_ndmsuiKagr1sqaae3o1_400.gif

I concur. We should see some soon, though. Pokkén is bound to be Wii U

Though let's be real, a true 3D open world Pokémon game on the Wii U would be fucking awesome ;) It's a shame they don't want my money!

Though let's be real, a true 3D open world Pokémon game on the Wii U would be fucking awesome ;) It's a shame they don't want my money!

Because it wouldn't work. Pokémon has to be portable

Nintendo fans used logic.

It isn't very effective against the Pokemon Company.

Nintendo fans used logic.

It isn't very effective against the Pokemon Company.

They have a greater logic and knowledge of the audience. Trust me.

Never change Serebii, never change.

He has got a point, you know?

I don't for one second believe Pokemon would do nearly as well on a home console than a portable one.

For every person who wants a WiiU version, there's probably 5 who say "Nah, it's perfectly fine on a handheld"

The whole concept around Pokemon is built around the portable console, take that away and you lose half of the original point.

Also, let's wait until Game Freak can actually make a game that doesn't struggle and fail to run at a steady frame rate before pestering them for a home console version, shall we?

There's no logic to removing the portable aspect. There's nothing that home consoles can provide that can make it worthwhile.

I didn't mean "Never change" as an insult, I basically nipped it in the bud to let him know I was deliberately baiting him into the old debate that's been done to death ;)

But hey, the first time I played Silver and Sapphire were on emulators whilst I waited for them to come out in English and it didn't affect my enjoyment. I didn't even know a wink of Japanese at the time!

Any way, moving on..

I will piss myself laughing if Ryu is supposed to the winner of the Smash fan nomination campaign.

I think the idea that Pokémon needs to be portable in an online and connected world is a little out of date! You can swap, battle and play online, you don't need to take you game with you when you can connect to anyone anywhere!

I think the idea that Pokémon needs to be portable in an online and connected world is a little out of date! You can swap, battle and play online, you don't need to take you game with you when you can connect to anyone anywhere!

Why remove one thing when online is already in the game?

Portable is still such a HUGE thing in Pokémon.

I didn't mean "Never change" as an insult, I basically nipped it in the bud to let him know I was deliberately baiting him into the old debate that's been done to death ;)

But hey, the first time I played Silver and Sapphire were on emulators whilst I waited for them to come out in English and it didn't affect my enjoyment. I didn't even know a wink of Japanese at the time!

Any way, moving on..

I will piss myself laughing if Ryu is supposed to the winner of the Smash fan nomination campaign.

That campaign ends in October and it's not designed for there to be a winner