NEurope
Fused King

NINTENDO @ E3: Let the Hype juices flow

It's a trade show - When they release new hardware and need to talk about console strategy and design to get the interest of 3rd parties, many stakeholders and the thousands of other people in the business, they'll do a presentation. E3 is where deals and done and hands are shaken - It's the business pinnacle of the industry.

Nintendo can afford to not do one now because it would be a waste of time..they can't convince people to develop for the hardware. All they've got is there own software to talk about now. Thankfully they are doing it in the right way as their video last year was really good. I hope they keep this up when they unveil new hardware in the future and get their feet back into the industry in a big way. I would hate to see a return of the some of their recent conferences (apart from 2010, that was really good from what I remember).

Microsoft tend to have piss poor conferences but there have been loads of good Nintendo and Sony conferences. Nintendo also have some horrific ones, and Sony had a couple of poor ones over the years.

The difficult thing for Sony over the years is that they've had to talk about so many different things (VITA, PS3, Now, Indies, 3rd parties). Nintendo's advantage is that they have nothing to talk about other than a few games, which means they can focus on those.

You do realise Nintendo do still do all that at E3, right?

You do realise Nintendo do still do all that at E3, right?

I never claimed otherwise. Although let's face it, they are probably doing much less of it at the moment.

I never claimed otherwise. Although let's face it, they are probably doing much less of it at the moment.

Yeah, but you're implying that having a stage show is pivotal to it, which it really isn't.

Yeah, but you're implying that having a stage show is pivotal to it, which it really isn't.

I said it's very important to the business side of it, which it is. There was actually a brilliant event at GameCity (Nottingham) recently where a lot developers and former shareholders were explaining how they go about dedicating funding for game development/supporting a console and almost all of them pointed out that if they can't be convinced of a consoles vision at E3 then that's half the damage done. I'm not saying it's impossible to do this with an online video, however it's very difficult (I don't think it's ever been done, actually). I'll try and see if it was covered by any local media actually - the transcript of that event would be a brilliant read.

Anyway, Nintendo don't have much business to do with trade and developers at the moment because the Wii U is dead in the pan. Even with brilliant first party software like Splatoon, it's not going to get resurrected. It would be a waste of money to do anything other than a direct. Besides, Direct's are also much more fun and engaging to their target audience (fans).

You're forgetting the live presentation they did behind closed doors in 2013 (can't remember if they did one in 2014). Developers and the press mingling as Iwata and co demoed all the games on the show floor.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=live+demo+2013+e3+miyamoto&client=safari&hl=en-gb&biw=320&bih=460&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=8fl2VZPeG4naUeSrgbAI&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ

Pretty sure they did it last year too

====================

[tweet]608307402312679424[/tweet]

Hmmm...

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

220px-Mole_mania_boxart.png

If they reveal anything other than this, I'll be disappointed :heh:

[tweet]608307402312679424[/tweet]

Hmmm...

Can you dig it, ey? Iiiiiiinteresting...

Would be mad if they were working on a music/rhythm game. :)

And no doubt make many people go mad too. :heh:

But at the same time, it's probably going to be Donkey Kong related...

...maybe it's DK Jungle Beat 2! :hehe:

Can you dig it, ey? Iiiiiiinteresting...

Would be mad if they were working on a music/rhythm game. :)

And no doubt make many people go mad too. :heh:

But at the same time, it's probably going to be Donkey Kong related...

...maybe it's DK Jungle Beat 2! :hehe:

Cranky Kong spin-off:

Cranky Kong's Grave Digging

Diglet dig Diglet dig Diglet dig Diglet dig Diglet dig Diglet dig Diglet dig Diglet dig Diglet dig Diglet dig Diglet dig Diglet dig Diglet dig Diglet dig Diglet dig Diglet dig Diglet dig Diglet dig Diglet dig Diglet dig Diglet dig Diglet dig

(I've started re-watching Pokémon, that episode was this morning)

At first, the 'Can you dig it?' tweet left me feeling a little disappointed as it doesn't exactly lead you towards something like a new Metroid.. but you know what? That's OK :smile:

Metroid and Mario Strikers may be the 2 games I've realistically been hoping for this E3, but I've always been aware of the strong possibility that neither may appear, despite Retro Studios and Next Level Games both working on projects at the moment.

Whatever Retro Studios have in store, I just hope it's fun :grin:

They've bought the rights to Dig-Dug and they're gonna make a 1st-person adventure game with it.

It's a trade show - When they release new hardware and need to talk about console strategy and design to get the interest of 3rd parties, many stakeholders and the thousands of other people in the business, they'll do a presentation. E3 is where deals and done and hands are shaken - It's the business pinnacle of the industry.

You listened to this weeks RFN yet? Jonny was saying how Nintendo ain't making it easy for the media to get to talk to them and have been essentially giving them the middle finger.

You listened to this weeks RFN yet? Jonny was saying how Nintendo ain't making it easy for the media to get to talk to them and have been essentially giving them the middle finger.

Yup, pretty much.

Thing is, I'm pretty sure Reggie and NoA understand all that. The problem is that Iwata is the CEO of NoA and there are huge cultural differences between Japan and the rest of the world. Their strategy for communication might work for Japan but it's not a one size fits all approach. A lot of this would be easier if NoA were allowed to have some kind of autonomy is decision making.

Highly recommend that people listen to this weeks RFN...it's E3 prediction week :D

Incidentally, they released a new video hyping up Sunday's World Championships. I won't be watching until Monday morning though

Any suggestions or requests for what to feature in the remaining countdown numbers? :)

Any suggestions or requests for what to feature in the remaining countdown numbers? :)

Ice Climbers

Mole Mania

Metroid

F-Zero

Advance Wars

Ice Climbers (NES style)

Captain Toad

Cat Mario

please

(Awesome 6 animation!)

g5kdWdM.gif

and maybe a special "1 day after" one

xzIVQTm.png

Edited by D_prOdigy

Dunno whether this is E3 related or not but...

Today, on June 10, 2015, Nintendo Co., Ltd. filed a trademark for "Diddy Kong" in Europe via the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (OHIM). It is a basic CTM filing for a long list of goods and services, primarily video games though. It was made public today.

Mentioned in the hyrule warriors ads thread, but Im worried nintendo are going to fuck this all up. Chubby Robo, pokemon, Devil's third, hyrule warriors, lucas coming out, smash dlc video.... these are all semi decent NEW things to pad out their direct.... They better not have absolutely shot their load!

Chubby Robo
:laughing::bowdown:

Pretty sure there will still be plenty of surprises, don't worry.