NEurope
Fused King

NINTENDO @ E3: Let the Hype juices flow

8 locations is pathetic. I'd also hope that they don't just use NES Remix's NWC mode; I wanted to see something grander that better encompassed their total console history instead of just the NES...

... Not that it matters much to us anyway, you know, America = The World and all that :p

8 locations is pathetic. I'd also hope that they don't just use NES Remix's NWC mode; I wanted to see something grander that better encompassed their total console history instead of just the NES...

... Not that it matters much to us anyway, you know, America = The World and all that :p

Don't worry, the PR says the main competition will have lots of other games

Don't worry, the PR says the main competition will have lots of other games

Yeah just noticed, cool!

Hope that they do some sort of new NWC compilation thingy that includes games from all different consoles and that they put it up on the eShop!

I figured it out. It's 8 cities because it's a reference to the 8 bit NES. That's why NES Remix is included in the Nintendo "World" American Championships as well. It's so obvious, how did we miss the double entendre? Brilliant marketing. :blank:

Yeah, f**k you Nintendo for your totally optional and fun little diversion. Pathetic stuff from them as usual.

Yeah, f**k you Nintendo for your totally optional and fun little diversion. Pathetic stuff from them as usual.

Did you not read @Rummy's last post or just choose to ignore it?

Apologies, couldn't resist rising to the latest batch of complaining

If you really couldn't resist then perhaps some self-reflection is in order.

No self reflection needed thanks, I just have a low tolerance for bull$hit

No self reflection needed thanks, I just have a low tolerance for bull$hit

..and looking in the mirror would presumably push you over the edge..? :blank:

I'm half joking there.. but seriously, I sometimes I feel like there's only a select few of us on here actually playing and enjoying games at the moment whilst everyone else is participating in petty squabbles.

My advice is to shut down your computer, go play something and have some fun : peace:

E3 will certainly be fun, whatever happens :grin:

The Nintendo World Championship seems to be an NoA initiative, so it makes sense that, despite the name, it'll happen only in the USA.

The 8 cities thing is a bit more worrisome, as it suggests that's all they could do, not what they wanted to do. Makes me think this initiative's only got half-support from the head honchos in Japan.

I just presumed they want to see how it goes and build it. test the waters. Maybe one day there will actually be a WORLD series.

Reaction: Nintendo Dropped the Ball, Not the Mic, With Its Nintendo World Championships 2015 Qualifiers

Less an event to capture social media, more one-off E3 show

630x.jpg

Following Nintendo's outline of its E3 plans last week, we got rather optimistic and hopeful about the Nintendo World Championships 2015, stating that the E3 event could be just the beginning. We cited the ongoing success of the truly global Pokémon tournaments as a potential blueprint, suggested that the Wii U could be the centrepiece in order to boost the system's popularity, and that Nintendo could do something special to promote the new system's games. Our argument was that this E3 event could be a launchpad for future global events that take in regional tournaments and utilise online resources - all of which should be possible with Nintendo's partnerships and current experience.

That could still happen, but we're a lot less optimistic that such ambitious plans are anywhere near the agenda having heard the details today for the Nintendo World Championships 2015 Qualifiers. They're taking place at just eight Best Buy locations, and will use the Championship mode in Ultimate NES Remix on 3DS to find eight winners that'll join eight guests at the live finals at the NOKIA Theatre in LA on 14th June. The only consolation is the scope for an interesting live event, "which will be a multi-round competition with a variety of Nintendo games".

Hopes that Nintendo would have rolled out plenty of heats at Best Buy stores around the US and a unique competition game build have fallen by the wayside, as a result. There's a whiff of last-gasp planning to proceedings at this stage, with limited scope that suggests this was a relatively late decision; it's as if Nintendo booked the NOKIA Theatre but dawdled on the actual event until it was almost too late. If this has been organised at a month's notice then, absolutely, this event is pretty much as expected.

original.jpg

Not quite what we had in mind

Our optimistic viewpoint had hoped for more, however. We'd hoped this had been in the works for a number of months, that Nintendo of America was aiming to make a big splash and really build a frenzy of excitement ahead of E3. In hindsight that was unrealistic, though it's certainly disappointing to come to that conclusion.

The problem with this eventual outcome and the backlash from many online is of Nintendo's own making. We've highlighted before that nostalgia is powerful, and the company can use it as a strength but also suffer the consequences if it's underutilised. The E3 reveal video was watched over one million times within a few days, and it placed the Nintendo World Championships right at the heart of its message. Of course there was going to be excitement, that was the whole point.

The issue is that if you're going to play on nostalgia, you can't then serve up an offering so underwhelming in comparison to those origins. The 1990 event - as far as we can tell from multiple unofficial histories - had 30 qualifying events in 29 cities; each had three age categories, and 90 finalists took part in the iconic finals, captured so wonderfully in the video below.

Nintendo's mistake is simple. It brought to mind an event that's gone down in folklore, so the fair assumption was that it had plans to go all out for the 2015 iteration; sure, it would be unlikely to match that exact scale, but the issue is that the announced qualifiers don't even come close.

The logo and video have been a mistake, in that respect. Though many - arguably the majority - of potential viewers of the finals in 14th June won't care, those that are most devoted to the company seem to be - in many cases - disappointed by the outcome.

With an event that seemed targeted to its most faithful fans, Nintendo has gone from successfully building excitement to deflating all concerned in a remarkably effective way.

Our final initial reaction is a little more positive, though - we still hope that the live event in LA will be a lot of fun, and will hopefully draw a good crowd. Nintendo should take the opportunity in the next month to come up with a solid line-up of challenges for various games, ideally on Wii U if they're being blown up on an arena's screens. As for requests that some have made for a special demo download with a Championships build to be released on the eShop, perhaps we shouldn't hold our collective breath on that one.

Nevertheless, we'll be tuning in for the live event - it should be a fun slice of E3 silliness, though it could have been more.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/05/reaction_nintendo_dropped_the_ball_not_the_mic_with_its_nintendo_world_championships_2015_qualifiers

Edited by Wii

I have E3 off work :D

Same. It's a yearly tradition to book it off and gather round with friends/family, bingo cards in hand as we stay up throughout the night and I'll be damned if I'm gonna break it this year! :D

Same. It's a yearly tradition to book it off and gather round with friends/family, bingo cards in hand as we stay up throughout the night and I'll be damned if I'm gonna break it this year! :D

Bingo cards?

Bingo cards?

You've never done E3 bingo cards? They're good fun!

e3_2012_s_bingo_t.jpg

You make up a list of things that are likely/unlikely to appear and make a bingo card out of them. It's fun knocking them off the list as it happens!

Way too much time on my hands today, here's my bingo card for Nintendo's E3....

bingo.jpg

No you don't.

*cracks whip*

I still need to get mine booked in.

I've been taking E3 week off for so many years now that I can't actually remember the last time I DIDN'T take it off. :D

I still need to get mine booked in.

I've been taking E3 week off for so many years now that I can't actually remember the last time I DIDN'T take it off. :D

Ive booked the day off for Sony and Nintendo's presentations.

I can't take it off. I have to work during the presentation and end up missing half of it ;;

It's times like these that I enjoy having Tuesdays and Wednesdays off, it seems to be on these days in June when most of the E3 magic happens. :)

I'll watch them all after the event. I can't take it off work and I'm not hyped for Nintendo anyhow. Mostly hyped for what will show for the PS4.

I think they'll have Wii U games.

Hoping there'll be discs with three dip switches on them :P

My holiday for E3 week is now officially been booked in at work. My body is now ready....still not hyped, though. :(