NEurope
Fused King

NINTENDO @ E3: Let the Hype juices flow

I agree.

What Nintendo need is another Rare. They need a Western developer that can create something like a Nintendo exclusive FPS but tailored to suit the strengths of a Nintendo system like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.

One of Nintendo's biggest mistakes during the Wii and DS era was not to invest more into acquiring studios or building new studios that could take this role.

Nintendo could easily have a studio like Bungie to churn out a Western orientated game like Halo every few years.

I think if Nintendo could produce a first person shooter as an exclusive, a simulation or realistic racer and a gritty third person adventure, they would have three more important bases covered and have another important group of exclusive franchises under their belt.

Project Cars raised $5,000,000 from crowd funding (I think I'm right on this?) to get this game off the ground. I'm pretty sure Nintendo could stump up that kind of money to get a game into development and ensure exclusivity. What's more, if the game sold 250,000 copies (not a huge number for an exclusive) it would have brought in more than double that spend at $50 a copy.

These are only basic maths - but I do believe that Nintendo could easily benefit from bringing small and talented independent developers on board in order to pad out their releases and benefit from a wider range of exclusive games on their systems.

As I said. Nintendo need to buy Playtonic :p

Don't think you got my point before then (despite disagreeing with it :heh:), I'm saying Nintendo themselves shouldn't be trying to create those kind of games. Publishing them, fine. Funding them, fine. Getting 3rd parties (wherever they're from) to create them, fine.

But as far as development is concerned, Nintendo should continue to do what they've always done and what they do best.

There may have been a bit of confusion about just getting 3rd parties to do that sort of content. I agree with your statement there.

Basically, they need Western studios so that they can better cater to our needs and wants.

I can't see Playtonic wanting to be gobbled up by another giant who tell them what to do, potentially squandering their IP like Microsoft did or locking them into a path they don't want to go. Once they're being their own boss, selling to every gamer, why take a back step?

Basically, they need Western studios so that they can better cater to our needs and wants.
Well, your needs. Not so much mine, but yeah. :)

I can't see Playtonic wanting to be gobbled up by another giant who tell them what to do, potentially squandering their IP like Microsoft did or locking them into a path they don't want to go. Once they're being their own boss, selling to every gamer, why take a back step?
Indeed, don't reckon it'd be that straightforward in this particular situation though. Those guys seem to have a lot of love and respect for Nintendo, I imagine they'd actually love to work for them again.

I just don't see the advantage - sell far less copies of your game and be told what to do. If it was all about being on the payroll for them then they'd have just stuck with Microsoft, no?

If it was all about being on the payroll for them then they'd have just stuck with Microsoft, no?
Don't think Microsoft were ever a good match for Rare (and possibly the reason why members of Playtonic left in the first place) so no, not really.

I know which era of Rare I'd rather have been a part of, put it that way. ;)

I just don't see the advantage - sell far less copies of your game and be told what to do. If it was all about being on the payroll for them then they'd have just stuck with Microsoft, no?

Not quite that simple though, it's not two options - be on a payroll, don't care who with; and then being completely autonomous. There are shades within that. If they want to make Nintendo styled games, get a good deal with Nintendo and to be given reign to make new IP in certain styles/genres but with bigger budgets; they may well go for it. They may not. It's just not as black and white as you seem to say it is.

YOUR needs and wants. Not mine.

Don't think Microsoft were ever a good match for Rare (and possibly the reason why members of Playtonic left in the first place) so no, not really.

I know which era of Rare I'd rather have been a part of, put it that way. ;)

Indeed. Nintendo let their studios do what they want (within reason) afterall. Retro wanted to do Donkey Kong again, and so they did that rather than be forced onto Metroid

I don't think Playtonic has any interest in being owned by anyone and I don't think Nintendo has any interest in owning Playtonic, so there.

Bringing the topic back to E3, I was watching some past conferences the other day. 2013 struck me as being better than I remembered.

It was the first non-live conference one. I think judged it a bit harshly at the time with the thought "Donkey Kong Country: TF was the only 'new reveal', because 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and Smash were already confirmed for reveals". That was obviously kind of a bollocks mindset to have, because Mario 3D World, Mario Kart and Smash Bros. would all go on to be amazing games. Also, going from the first reveal of a 3D Mario to release within six months was quite remarkable for a company still (wrongly, I think) notorious for 'announcing games too early'.

So that was 2013 for me. Much much better than 2012 but still not a scratch on 2014. Are there any E3 conferences - Nintendo or otherwise - which you have a soft spot for in the face of adversity?

Indeed. Nintendo let their studios do what they want (within reason) afterall. Retro wanted to do Donkey Kong again, and so they did that rather than be forced onto Metroid

I always took that comment with a pinch of salt. It came after the internet backlash after seeing Retro were making another DKC game. It always felt like damage control/PR speak to me. I mean, they are hardly gonna come out and say that they wanted to make another Metroid but Nintendo wanted another DKC.

I feel another DKC game was always on the cards, whether Retro wanted to make it or not. Nintendo probably seen the sales figures of the first and wanted another success like that.

Not that I'm complaining, DKC:TF was amazing and better in every way to the previous game. Dat David Wise magic.

I don't believe that for a second.

It may be true, it may not be. All we can go on is what they have said. You can either trust what they say or be a little more skeptical. Obviously we fall into the latter group.

Bringing the topic back to E3, I was watching some past conferences the other day. 2013 struck me as being better than I remembered.

It was the first non-live conference one. I think judged it a bit harshly at the time with the thought "Donkey Kong Country: TF was the only 'new reveal', because 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and Smash were already confirmed for reveals". That was obviously kind of a bollocks mindset to have, because Mario 3D World, Mario Kart and Smash Bros. would all go on to be amazing games. Also, going from the first reveal of a 3D Mario to release within six months was quite remarkable for a company still (wrongly, I think) notorious for 'announcing games too early'.

So that was 2013 for me. Much much better than 2012 but still not a scratch on 2014. Are there any E3 conferences - Nintendo or otherwise - which you have a soft spot for in the face of adversity?

I still to this day don't understand why people are so down about 2013. I remember being thrilled at the end of the Direct, thinking what a great showing of games. They revealed Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong, Smash Bros WiiU/3DS, Wind Waker HD, Xenoblade and gave better looks at A Link Between Worlds, Pokemon X/Y and Bayonetta 2 and Yoshi's New Island. That's an impressive list of titles. Unlikely we'll ever have 4 big hitters like 3D Mario, Kart, DK and Smash all unveiled at the same time again.

I actually think it was better than the 2014 reveals (though admittedly the Digital Event was a much better "show". I guess the backlash was because people were expecting Galaxy 3 (3D World turned out to be amazing instead) and the DK instead of Metroid disappointment.

They were never going to be critical publicly unless they wanted to collect their P45.

I don't think Playtonic has any interest in being owned by anyone and I don't think Nintendo has any interest in owning Playtonic, so there.

Nintendo's E3 2008.

The best E3 ever.

Nintendo's E3 2008.

The best E3 ever.

It was so bad Nintendo later apologised for it.

Na, I like it because it demonstrates everything wrong with E3 press conferences :p

My favourite though...2010 or 2011 I guess. Reveal after reveal.

Edited by Serebii

If they focus on just your taste they are screwed (see Wii U).

Interesting comments on this thread over the last page or two.

I completely agree that they need software that appeals to western games however as others mentioned, Nintendo should NOT produce this content. Firstly because I'd rather their talents focused on their own style of video games but secondly because I wouldn't trust anyone at Nintendo, outside of maybe Monolith, to actually do it well.

Secondly, it's worth remember that the SNES and N64 did exceptionally well in the West but their western focused I.P were done by 2nd/3rd parties. Goldeneye was done by Rare and Street Fighter 2 (and its sequels) were all produced by CAPCOM. Those games got people in the West interested and they likely spent further dollar on the system down the line in terms of software.

Wii is spot on. Time and time again Nintendo makes a great deal about having EA, Activision, Ubisoft as third party partners and by implication that means westernised games. The next breath they'll say its their job to drive console momentum to create an healthy environment for third parties. Nintendo is unable create the kind of environment EA needs with its usual cast of colourful characters, without the right demographic these third party publishers leave, and that's recognised by a significant portion of this forum and the gaming community.

Nintendo needs some more western(ised) developers, developers who can give Nintendo exclusives aimed squarely at the Xbox and PS4 crowd. I know and you know that a bunch of western developers working with Nintendo can create absolute magic; let them do this with grittier, less whimsical content and people will take notice, the wider the hardware demographic within the Nintendo ecosystem, the more attractive itll be to third party publishers. No one is suggesting this comes at the expense of Japan's usual output but if Nintendo want to appeal to this more, ahem, adult audience it is they and not consumers, not publishers who need to make the first move.

It may be true, it may not be. All we can go on is what they have said. You can either trust what they say or be a little more skeptical. Obviously we fall into the latter group.

I'm on the side that thinks that Retro Studios was out of ideas by Metroid Prime 3, so I'm inclined to believe that they didn't want to work on Metroid again, at the very least.

Kick the Mii's out of Pilotwings (preferably write an apology for Pilotwings Resort on the title screen)

I want a written apology for these sickening words :nono:

I'd absolutely take another Pilotwings on Wu-Hu, provided they brought in some changing seasons and new points of interest :smile: It's about time we got the chance to revisit this island in HD : peace:

Wii is spot on. Time and time again Nintendo makes a great deal about having EA, Activision, Ubisoft as third party partners and by implication that means westernised games. The next breath they'll say its their job to drive console momentum to create an healthy environment for third parties. Nintendo is unable create the kind of environment EA needs with its usual cast of colourful characters, without the right demographic these third party publishers leave, and that's recognised by a significant portion of this forum and the gaming community.

Nintendo needs some more western(ised) developers, developers who can give Nintendo exclusives aimed squarely at the Xbox and PS4 crowd. I know and you know that a bunch of western developers working with Nintendo can create absolute magic; let them do this with grittier, less whimsical content and people will take notice, the wider the hardware demographic within the Nintendo ecosystem, the more attractive itll be to third party publishers. No one is suggesting this comes at the expense of Japan's usual output but if Nintendo want to appeal to this more, ahem, adult audience it is they and not consumers, not publishers who need to make the first move.

I wasn't suggesting the above isn't true and that Nintendo need more western developers. I just took issue that Nintendo need to cater to "our wants" and demands. I corrected him in the same way Redshell did, HIS wants, not necessarily others.

NINTENDO’S PRESIDENT WON’T BE AT E3 2015

Iwata will monitor the reactions to E3 from back home.

Nintendo told IGN today that company President and CEO Satoru Iwata would be skipping E3 for the second consecutive year in a row.

In a statement, the company said, “Nintendo’s focus for E3 this year will be showcasing the many games we have coming for both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS. Mr. Miyamoto and other members of our development team will be in Los Angeles to explain these games and the unique experiences that each offers. Mr. Iwata’s focus in this period will be on other areas of our business that require his presence in Japan.”

Nintendo assures that Iwata will be in "constant contact" with the away team in Los Angeles, and he will monitor the reaction to Nintendo’s announcements.

Iwata skipped out on E3 last year due to an unfortunate illness. At the time, he was advised by a physician not to travel. Nintendo recently announced its fiscal earning for the year, where the company posted its first annual profit in years. The company will launch a new action shooter IP, called Splatoon, at the end of the month.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/05/18/nintendos-president-wont-be-at-e3-2015