NEurope
Fused King

NINTENDO @ E3: Let the Hype juices flow

You cretin :p

That's what I think every time I look at your site ;)

Stumbled upon an article over at Games Industry and some curious points:

Nintendo doesn't feel like it fits well with E3 right now. It's not just troubled by the dismal sales of the Wii U, it's also deeply uncomfortable with being the only major company in the industry that's still seriously committed to family entertainment...I can understand why the creators of the former [Yoshi's Wooly World] don't see much value in investing heavily in promoting it alongside the latter [Doom reboot]. Wrong place, wrong time, wrong audience.

Nintendo hobbled its own event, making it even more disappointing than it needed to be, and all it achieved was to make itself look even weaker, even more troubled, next to the might of Sony and Microsoft.

Here's what Nintendo should have done - should have had the courage to do - nothing.

To make this work, though, Nintendo needs to commit to the strategy. This year, it tried to have its cake and eat it; to participate in E3 without committing to it, without making a big deal of it. It failed so miserably that the Internet spent a few hours genuinely believing that Iwata had apologised for the whole sorry affair.

The one point that struck me was that perhaps the Direct was considered (by many) to be so poor compared to Sony/Microsoft is entirely because Nintendo allowed for it to be placed alongside the others for comparison. Had they skipped E3 and showed us this stuff in a month's time, away from the fanfare and showmanship of E3, would we have been so concerned?

Okay, final rantish type of post re Nintendo at E3...

But why make AC a party game doe? I mean, I mean... Theres Nintendoland, Mario party, some Wii U Party game - not sure how well they did but surely there is some sort of graph that shows which genre is being represented and there is no proper Animal Crossing on Wii U...

....So why in hell make a Wii U AC a party game???

I REALLY want to move on and think positively but it makes you flipping think so much... Just how?... Why?

SHould we just nip it in the bud and say its because of NX development? Fine. But its just based on previous decisions Im not sure if this was something of a planned and intelligent move or just plain Nintendo doing their usual kamikaze nose-dive stuff - and going by the puppets presentation, they seemed very confident and WILLING to present this reel.

jesus.

Okay, final rantish type of post re Nintendo at E3...

But why make AC a party game doe? I mean, I mean... Theres Nintendoland, Mario party, some Wii U Party game - not sure how well they did but surely there is some sort of graph that shows which genre is being represented and there is no proper Animal Crossing on Wii U...

....So why in hell make a Wii U AC a party game???

I REALLY want to move on and think positively but it makes you flipping think so much... Just how?... Why?

SHould we just nip it in the bud and say its because of NX development? Fine. But its just based on previous decisions Im not sure if this was something of a planned and intelligent move or just plain Nintendo doing their usual kamikaze nose-dive stuff - and going by the puppets presentation, they seemed very confident and WILLING to present this reel.

jesus.

It's simple. It's cheap and easy and forces people to buy Amiibo. Job done.

That's what I think every time I look at your site ;)

Stumbled upon an article over at Games Industry and some curious points:

The one point that struck me was that perhaps the Direct was considered (by many) to be so poor compared to Sony/Microsoft is entirely because Nintendo allowed for it to be placed alongside the others for comparison. Had they skipped E3 and showed us this stuff in a month's time, away from the fanfare and showmanship of E3, would we have been so concerned?

It's ridiculous. Everyone agreed Nintendo knocked it out of the park last year, but this year they didn't bring heavy hitters so now they "don't get it" when they did everything else the same?

I would say to that, that Nintendo failed on its own merits regardless of the others. I came in from work that day and just focused on Nintendo's event and knew about other stuff (like FF7) later.

The Wii U has been failing so quite naturally there was a level of expectation. And like the other two, Nintendo had the same amount of time to prepare their event as well as being the most experienced.

Edited by King_V

It's ridiculous. Everyone agreed Nintendo knocked it out of the park last year, but this year they didn't bring heavy hitters so now they "don't get it" when they did everything else the same?

What are the games as big as MK8 and Smash Bros. last year? What's the big Christmas game? Zelda was supposed to be. Zelda helped make E3 great last year and was a no show this year. So that's another promise broken.

I'll be happy with Xenoblade Chronicles X but many won't as it's a niche title.

Nintendo seem as interested in selling amiibo as they are making games. Money is money to them. There was 18 new amiibo shown at E3.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

In this regard, I think you can mind your own business.

The baiting and ensuing arguments on these forums are surely everyone's business, and funnily enough I don't appreciate the implication that I or anyone else is mentally retarded for their beliefs about E3, but I apologise if you think I've overstepped the mark. I also didn't mean to single you out, my issue isn't with you but with attitudes in general, so sorry if you bore the brunt.

I just don't think it's right to condemn people for trying to defend or understand Nintendo, they have just as much right to an opinion as the people attacking or upset with Nintendo, and that I will not apologise for. : peace:

...do you see the contradiction?

The baiting and ensuing arguments on these forums are surely everyone's business, and funnily enough I don't appreciate the implication that I or anyone else is mentally retarded for their beliefs about E3, but I apologise if you think I've overstepped the mark. I also didn't mean to single you out, my issue isn't with you but with attitudes in general, so sorry if you bore the brunt.

I just don't think it's right to condemn people for trying to defend or understand Nintendo, they have just as much right to an opinion as the people attacking or upset with Nintendo, and that I will not apologise for. : peace:

Fair dos sir - No need to apologise. (MFing D'oh, I just saw your gender apologies m'am). :D

I don't have problems with peoples opinion, I rarely confront people about their views on here. But I think with Serebii its very obvious that he has other motives for his constant defence of Nintendo - his business/website - and thats fair enough... But what those opinions read to most people will be an opinion thats heavily biased due to having an agenda other than the facts at hand.

Sometimes its glaringly obvious.

But with regards to respecting opinions, curiously those with positive opinions re Nintendo also slander other members with less favourable viewpoints - as long as we are not abusing people - I think heated debates are perfectly fine and the 'respect other peoples opinion' (or basically not talk about other peoples opinion) doesn't exactly lead to discussions.

But anyway...

Edited by King_V

...do you see the contradiction?

Again, E3 is not just the conference

Another FPS wins best of E3 zzzzzzzz. Cuphead should have won. Beautiful, original game. Maybe it would have if multi platform.

Now we're bashing Nintendo's winning E3 from 2014. This site is such a joke at times.

What are the games as big as MK8 and Smash Bros. last year? What's the big Christmas game? Zelda was supposed to be. Zelda helped make E3 great last year and was a no show this year. So that's another promise broken.

One year later, did Nintendo keep their 2014 promises

Edited by Ronnie
Automerged Doublepost

Again, E3 is not just the conference

Given that the Direct drives the Treehouse (i.e. if they have a poor showing, people are going to, and have been, less inclined to watch the Treehouse stuff) it's a large part of E3.

Hell the only thing that people have been near-universally positive about was the Championship stuff and that was right at the start.

Another shooter wins best of E3 zzzzzzzz. Cuphead should have won. Beautiful, original game. Maybe it would have if multi platform.

Now we're bashing Nintendo's winning E3 from 2014. This site is such a joke at times.

One year later, did Nintendo keep their 2014 promises

A shooter that piqued your interest enough to go asking questions in the Other Consoles boards. Kinda says something about it.

If they wanted to give it to a AAA game at least give it to Fallout. It's still a shooter (obviously) but at least has other aspects to the gameplay. 8 out of the last 10 E3 Best in show's from IGN have been shooters.

If they wanted to give it to a AAA game at least give it to Fallout. It's still a shooter (obviously) but at least has other aspects to the gameplay. 8 out of the last 10 E3 Best in show's from IGN have been shooters.

Biggest selling game of each year:

2014 - CoD AW

2013 - GTA V

2012 - CoD Black Ops II

2011 - CoD Modern Warfare III

2010 - CoD Black Ops

2009 - CoD Modern Warfare II

2008 - GTA IV

2007 - CoD 4

It's almost as if IGN's E3 Best in Show reflects popular tastes or something...

(going back to 2006 brought back mostly American-focused sales which pegged it at Madden, but couldn't be bothered to carry on trawling through Google)

And now you are directly quoting Wii yet again

What I imagine it's like to be Wii:

My disappointment stems from what I took away from their direct, and that is Nintendo are done with the Wii U. In terms of new titles, I really didn't get much to look forward to outside of the the games we knew about.

Instead of a full blown Animal Crossing game, its getting an Animal crossing party game that needs Amiibo's to work. Granted, its free, but even as a Animal crossing fan I am finding it very difficult to care

The other new game shown was a Mario tennis title.

So as a Wii U owner I just feel let down. On one hand I can't blame them from moving on, since they are a business and the Wii U has done poorly. But then, I feel a lot of the reasons the Wii U did badly was their own doing since day one.

2014 - CoD AW

2013 - GTA V

2012 - CoD Black Ops II

2010 - CoD Black Ops

2008 - GTA IV

2007 - CoD 4

Ah yes, all those wildly different COD's each offering a totally different experience. Wonder if I can predict the next few years... So there's Black Ops III this year, I'll go for Advanced Warfare II in 2016, Grey Ops in 2017, Grey Ops II in 2018, then they'll really go crazy and release Advanced Black Ops the year after, now with anti-gravity tanks!

For the record, I'm not suggesting IGN got it wrong each year, far from it, but a little bit of variety would be nice. Slim pickings I suppose. Cuphead was something so refreshing and original, Fallout 4 looks to be an excellent game. What won it for Battlefront was basically the audio/visual.

Ah yes, all those wildly different COD's each offering a totally different experience. Wonder if I can predict the next few years... So there's Black Ops III this year, I'll go for Advanced Warfare II in 2016, Grey Ops in 2017, Grey Ops II in 2018, then they'll really go crazy and release Advanced Black Ops the year after, now with anti-gravity tanks!

For the record, I'm not suggesting IGN got it wrong each year, far from it, but a little bit of variety would be nice. Slim pickings I suppose. Cuphead was something so refreshing and original, Fallout 4 looks to be an excellent game. What won it for Battlefront was basically the audio/visual.

Ah, so you were at E3 this year and played the game? Good to know.

Ok let's try this again. There is plenty of variety in gaming. So what if COD games sell well every year? People like playing them! At some point maybe you should just accept that people like different stuff to you.

Yeah the same incessant thing being repeated over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

I know how much you hate that.

2014 - CoD AW

2013 - GTA V

2012 - CoD Black Ops II

2010 - CoD Black Ops

2008 - GTA IV

2007 - CoD 4

What an uninspiring list. I've nothing against any o of these games, some are fabulous games but... Oh boy, that's terribly predictable.