NEurope
Fused King

NINTENDO @ E3: Let the Hype juices flow

Reggie: Iwata didn’t apologize for the Nintendo Digital Event

“It was not an apology. It was not a statement about the content we’re showing, essentially it was an ‘I hear you’ message.”

“Mr. Iwata is in Japan and what he’s trying to do is help explain to consumers in Japan what’s going on at E3. The correct translation of his message was: ‘Thank you for your feedback. We hear you and we are committed to continuing to meet your expectations,’ was essentially his message.”

“One of the things I find interesting is that if you look at E3 historically for Nintendo, typically what happens is a press briefing happens or our digital event happens, and then over the course of the next couple of days people see the games get to play the games and the appreciation and understanding of what we’re doing increases over those three days and continues to build into the holidays."

“Splatoon is a game that people are loving right now, but if you rewind to E3 last year, Splatoon was being viewed as, ‘Yes, it’s innovative and it’s different, but the controls are a little hard and I don’t understand the mechanic of turning into a squid and going through the ink.’ There were all of these complaints. But now you look at the finished product and the satisfaction is huge.”

“For us, our goal is to make sure we announce the content, help people understand the content, but most importantly get hands on with the games.”

“I haven’t heard the feedback (for this year’s Best Buy demonstrations), but I think the feedback is going to be quite positive because what we do is make great games and they show well and they really lead to consumer excitement.”

Why do I hate you so Reggie? And it should have been an apology.

Edited by Wii

“It was not an apology. It was not a statement about the content we’re showing, essentially it was an ‘I hear you’ message.”

“Mr. Iwata is in Japan and what he’s trying to do is help explain to consumers in Japan what’s going on at E3. The correct translation of his message was: ‘Thank you for your feedback. We hear you and we are committed to continuing to meet your expectations,’ was essentially his message.”

“One of the things I find interesting is that if you look at E3 historically for Nintendo, typically what happens is a press briefing happens or our digital event happens, and then over the course of the next couple of days people see the games get to play the games and the appreciation and understanding of what we’re doing increases over those three days and continues to build into the holidays."

“Splatoon is a game that people are loving right now, but if you rewind to E3 last year, Splatoon was being viewed as, ‘Yes, it’s innovative and it’s different, but the controls are a little hard and I don’t understand the mechanic of turning into a squid and going through the ink.’ There were all of these complaints. But now you look at the finished product and the satisfaction is huge.”

“For us, our goal is to make sure we announce the content, help people understand the content, but most importantly get hands on with the games.”

“I haven’t heard the feedback (for this year’s Best Buy demonstrations), but I think the feedback is going to be quite positive because what we do is make great games and they show well and they really lead to consumer excitement.”

It was an apology. All native Japanese speakers I know have said that. I don't know what drugs Reggie is on, but I want some.

...:zzz:

What, you only 'hear us' now..? You should have listened when your products weren't selling.

How did Iwata get this job? fuuuuu...

Reggie's right though, satisfaction with the games does tend to grow over time. Look at Mario 3D World, Wind Waker, Splatoon, Donkey Kong, Hyrule Warriors.

But never mind that, far easier to spew immature hatred of him. :indeed:

Reggie's right though, satisfaction with the games does tend to grow over time. Look at Mario 3D World, Wind Waker, Splatoon, Donkey Kong, Hyrule Warriors.

But never mind that, far easier to spew immature hatred of him. :indeed:

All those games he mentioned, especially Splatoon, left positive impressions when they were announced. It's bizzarre that he's comparing them to this year's reaction, but then again he's the same guy who said Animal Crossing on Wii was for core gamers....:heh:

"We hear you and we are committed to continuing to meet your expectations."

You need to start before you can continue.

All those games he mentioned, especially Splatoon, left positive impressions when they were announced. It's bizzarre that he's comparing them to this year's reaction, but then again he's the same guy who said Animal Crossing on Wii was for core gamers....:heh:

I don't get where he got the negative reaction to Splatoon either. But like Serebii says, he's on drugs.

Statements like that are painfully annoying lol... They aren't learning any lessons.

He didn't say continue. Reggie is spinning.

It's fine; let them dig themselves further into the grave. They're so irrelevant right now that I'm past caring.

Edited by Sheikah

It's all just quite upsetting really. I don't want to be disillusioned by what they're doing at the moment but it's quite hard.

I suppose that's another reason why so many people were are so annoyed at the Direct. When I learned it was going to be 51 minutes, I thought 'great, this is going to be packed with stuff'. Then they opened the show with the puppets, and I thought the style and the humour was fantastic, totally Nintendo and refreshingly different to Sony, MS and the third parties. Then straight out of the gate they bleed into Star Fox in such style, and I was was honestly thinking it was the perfect start to an E3 presentation - then after Star Fox it was just an utter disaster.

Usually E3 shows build to something and this blew all its beans in the first few minutes!

yeah this was exactly how I felt while watching it live. The fun intro and then the section dedicated to Star Fox was perfect but then it all went down hill from there.

A few times my interest went up only for it to come crashing down, such as them showing a new Animal Crossing game for the Wii U, which I immediately assumed was a full blown AC game, only to find out its a party game that needs Amiibo's to work. :sad:

I also noticed that 'Project Giant Robot' game was absent this year.

It's fine; let them dig themselves further into the grave. They're so irrelevant right now that I'm past caring.

Ok, then stop posting that you don't care. If you didn't care, you'd not be coming and posting it all ;)

So really, you do care and secretly want them to improve, as we all do.

Edited by Serebii

I cared until they tried to deny that they're apologising. If they're going to shaft their fans with a display like that then they can at least apologise for it. No backbone.

Clearly...

I cared until they tried to deny that they're apologising. If they're going to shaft their fans with a display like that then they can at least apologise for it. No backbone.

Did they "shaft their fans", though? I get we were hoping for big hitters, but let's not pretend that the games they showed aren't going to be enjoyable (aside from amiibo Festival)

Did they "shaft their fans", though? I get we were hoping for big hitters, but let's not pretend that the games they showed aren't going to be enjoyable (aside from amiibo Festival)

Yeah, they did. You see, people were hoping for good games. Instead they got...well, what they got. That's shafting their fans.

It'd be like if you paid to go to a concert (invested money in a console), then all they played was their less popular songs, and they played them badly (bad/unpopular games). You would consider yourself shafted.

Yeah, they did. You see, people were hoping for good games. Instead they got...well, what they got. That's shafting their fans.

It'd be like if you paid to go to a concert (invested money in a console), then all they played was their less popular songs, and they played them badly (bad/unpopular games). You would consider yourself shafted.

Instead of good games, they got games that almost everyone who has played them have said is good. Whoa, the bastards.

Yes, the games aren't what we wanted, but they're by no means bad games and saying that, just because you didn't want them, just makes you look like an entitled gamer.

I wish I was past caring but I'm not, I still care and want them to do better.

Yet it pisses me off that I do because I just keep getting disappointed!

In an ideal world they'd make an awesome machine, port-friendly for 3rd Party Devs, with all the functions you'd expect them to have... Party Chat, online modes in their multiplayer games and a full array of options/functions within those games too and also to make the games their fans are crying out for (Metroid, F-Zero, Waverace, 1080 etc).

...but alas, they'll not do this. Not until Hell has frozen over and pigs are soaring through the skies :(

So then this leads me to another hope, which one may say is sacrilege... I hope they go 3rd Party.

In an ideal world they'd make an awesome machine, port-friendly for 3rd Party Devs, with all the functions you'd expect them to have... Party Chat, online modes in their multiplayer games and a full array of options/functions within those games too and also to make the games their fans are crying out for (Metroid, F-Zero, Waverace, 1080 etc).

...but alas, they'll not do this. Not until Hell has frozen over and pigs are soaring through the skies :(

So then this leads me to another hope, which one may say is sacrilege... I hope they go 3rd Party.

Yeah going third party has worked well for the other companies that have done it :p

Going third party means that you won't be getting the games you want ever again.

I think I'm past caring on a personal level but still do on an industry one. I want to see Nintendo doing well, competition is always good for the industry and Nintendo becoming more and more of a joke helps nobody.

Think of the joy when, on some random night in October during a Direct only announced the day before, megatons are dropped left and right; Metroid, F Zero and 1080 all revealed for download the next day! ;)

No, I get where you're coming from, although the ironically that's exactly the sort of thing Nintendo would do, have a poor e3 then blow us all out of the water on some random occasion!

I think, if they drop consoles, I'd like to see them go handheld only rather than third party. They are still number one in that market (dedicated console at least) and have embarrassed the Vita. Also, and this is an anomaly, the U is the biggest selling home console in Japan. Which isn't saying a lot considering the market there, but considering the PS4 has annihilated it everywhere else even with a years head start, it's great to see! Although perhaps that has skewed their ideas of what people want to see from them...??

Yeah going third party has worked well for the other companies that have done it :p

Going third party means that you won't be getting the games you want ever again.

Hogwash. Bungie are doing just fine, delivering the kinds of games they love making (and before you start, lots and lots of people that play Destiny love it). And now a group of Rare employees have splintered off from Microsoft, look at what is being achieved. Kickstarter is really good at getting these things off the ground, too. I could easily see Nintendo creating a Kickstarter for the ridiculous numbers of games we all want! Not that they couldn't fund it themselves, but still.

No doubt you'll touch on your one example though (Sega), which went the way of the shitter before it ever went down that route and had so much other crap going on that caused them to end up the way they did.

Edited by Sheikah

Hogwash. Bungie are doing just fine, delivering the kinds of games they love making (and before you start, lots and lots of people that play Destiny love it). And now a group of Rare employees have splintered off from Microsoft, look at what is being achieved. Kickstarter is really good at getting these things off the ground, too.

No doubt you'll touch on your one example though (Sega), which went the way of the shitter before it ever went down that route and had so much other crap going on.

What the frak are you on about? You knew full well I meant going third party from making hardware.

Good god, you're just trying to pick a fight here.

Hogwash. Bungie are doing just fine, delivering the kinds of games they love making (and before you start, lots and lots of people that play Destiny love it). And now a group of Rare employees have splintered off from Microsoft, look at what is being achieved. Kickstarter is really good at getting these things off the ground, too.

No doubt you'll touch on your one example though (Sega), which went the way of the shitter before it ever went down that route and had so much other crap going on that caused them to end up the way they did.

To be fair Sega is the most relevant comparison as they manufactured consoles as well games, whereas the other two didn't :)

Just a shame Shenmue financially ruined them...*runs* ;)

Sega are the best comparison but also the worst. They were in a terrible situation when they were forced to go third party. People suggest Nintendo should go now because it would leave them a much better position than if they carry on this downward spiral and are then forced to go third party with a lot less money.