NEurope
Fused King

NINTENDO @ E3: Let the Hype juices flow

We only got 4 years out of the GameCube, right? So a four year life span for the Wii U, while isn't great, is hardly unheard of.

3rd party support on the Gamecube kicked the living daylights out of the Wii U by comparison. I think the Gamecube had a better library overall. Though you're not comparing like with like there. Nicer graphics now, online, fresher in the memory, VC.

£50? i'd expect a few free games!

You'll get to use your Wii U games. In a special mode called Wii U mode.

We only got 4 years out of the GameCube, right? So a four year life span for the Wii U, while isn't great, is hardly unheard of.

Closer to 5 if you ask me - but even so the generations are getting longer and overlapping a bit more. Wii was also 6 years, so going by those last 2 Nintendo ones...4 years isn't exactly spectacular(even less so in the grander scheme of things).

The Wii barely had a game of note released in it's final year or two, and that console sold 100 million, compared to the Wii U's 10 mil, so let's be reasonable here.

I don't understand why they should give vouchers or free games away?

Offering £50(or whatevs) credit isn't necessarily all that bad an idea. Say it goes heavier on a digital distribution model(lower overheads, bigger profits, pass it on etc) and you get some 3rd parties on board with that too - £50 to kickstart the ecosystem wouldn't be terrible, would it?

Related - are Microsoft's Games with Gold still going? Free games with PS+? It's again just getting something on par - of course the specific games model is a bit better as it gives control over what you can push.

Offering £50(or whatevs) credit isn't necessarily all that bad an idea. Say it goes heavier on a digital distribution model(lower overheads, bigger profits, pass it on etc) and you get some 3rd parties on board with that too - £50 to kickstart the ecosystem wouldn't be terrible, would it?

But why only to Wii U owners? People will say as an apology, but why would they need to apologise? The Wii U has great games, they don't owe us a Metroid Prime. Not to mention the dodgy PR it would generate offering former owners free games, it would just look desperate and would also put off people who didn't own a Wii U who were considering buying NX.

But why only to Wii U owners? People will say as an apology, but why would they need to apologise? The Wii U has great games, they don't owe us a Metroid Prime. Not to mention the dodgy PR it would generate offering former owners free games, it would just look desperate and would also put off people who didn't own a Wii U who were considering buying NX.

Well said

YUAI9pa.gif

In fairness it's not like Nintendo hasn't done it in the past. The Ambassador scheme was kind of a similar idea (but with a much smaller time scale).

Yeah wouldn't want to ruin Nintendo's stellar PR history :heh:

Gamecube was supported for the duration though. Wii U was dead on arrival. Lack of games at launch, no third parties and let's he honest many of us said the wii u was toast 18 months ago and Nintendo were going to slow down development and look what's happened.

I don't blame them as putting more money into wii u would be ridiculous. It sucks as a wii u owner but just have to take the L and move on as quickly as possible.

I remember a year or so ago when Nintendo offered new 3DS owners a free, high quality game (Mario 3D World, A Link Between Worlds?) - I didn't see them as desperate - it just made me happy.

Nintendo surely doesn't 'owe' us anything, but to buy a console at full price which never really lived up to its potential and gets botched fairly early - And it being all Nintendo's fault - well, I can kinda understand why people will be irate by that and maybe be cautious with a future Nintendo console purchase.

That's acting somewhat like entitled gamers. It's not like the Wii U has nothing.

No but Nintendo might need to offer an incentive for wii u owners to buy the next console. Not saying it's a must just an idea.

Gamecube was supported for the duration though. Wii U was dead on arrival. Lack of games at launch, no third parties and let's he honest many of us said the wii u was toast 18 months ago and Nintendo were going to slow down development and look what's happened.

I don't blame them as putting more money into wii u would be ridiculous. It sucks as a wii u owner but just have to take the L and move on as quickly as possible.

Oh sod off. Nintendo have supported the Wii U very well.

Let me get the list out. Here is a list of first party published titles for the Wii U up to the end of 2015

New Super Mario Bros. U

Nintendo Land

Sing Party

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (Published by Nintendo outside of Japan)

Lego City Undercover

Game & Wario

Pikmin 3

New Super Luigi U

The Wonderful 101

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD

Wii Party U

Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games

Super Mario 3D World

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Sonic Lost World

Wii Fit U

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Mario Kart 8

Wii Sports Club

Hyrule Warriors

Bayonetta 2

Bayonetta

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

Mario Party 10

Splatoon

Super Mario Maker

Yoshi's Woolly World

Art Academy Atelier

Fatal Frame: Oracle of the Sodden Raven

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Devil's Third

Star Fox Zero

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash

Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival

Total: 36

Plus download only:

Art Academy: SketchPad

Pokémon Rumble U

NES Remix

Dr. Luigi

Wii Karaoke U by JOYSOUND (Europe only)

NES Remix 2

Pushmo World

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars

amiibo tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits

Total: 9

So that's 45 Nintendo published titles on the Wii U.

So don't go parroting around bullshit that there was nothing. There's an average of just under one (0.97) first party published retail title a month for the Wii U

Now, just to be an ass. I'm going to compare PS4 retail titles

Killzone: Shadow Fall

Knack

Driveclub

Infamous Second Son

LittleBigPlanet 3

Minecraft

MLB 14: The Show (Retail version in North America, digital download only in PAL)

SingStar: Ultimate Party[5] (PAL only)

The Last of Us Remastered

The Order: 1886

Bloodborne

MLB 15: The Show

God of War III Remastered

Until Dawn

Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection

Tearaway Unfolded

Total of 16 Sony published retail titles on PS4 over 25 months. That's an average of 0.64 a month

They did do more download titles and have funded & published a lot of indie titles, so granted they do have that. That takes them up to 52 titles for the PS4.

And Microsoft

Dead Rising 3

Forza Motorsport 5

Killer Instinct Pin Ultimate Edition

Ryse: Son of Rome

Zoo Tycoon

Forza Horizon 2

Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Killer Instinct: Combo Breaker Pack

Kinect Sports Rivals

Minecraft

Project Spark

Sunset Overdrive

Forza Motorsport 6

Gears of War Ultimate Edition

Halo 5: Guardians

Rare Replay

Rise of the Tomb Raider

ScreamRide

State of Decay: Year-One Survival Edition

Total: 19

Again, over 25 months, that's an average of 0.76 retail titles a month.

So yeah, don't spout your bullcrap here. Nintendo have supported the Wii U, very much so. They even had equivalent launch support for the Wii U to the PS4 had

Edited by Serebii

I really think the NX will be a hybrid based on wii u, so all wii u games will work straight off the bat!! Which would be worrying... but that's another discussion.

Anyway, this time next month we won't really give a shit about this e3, it's such an in the moment thing and I can't believe how worked up people get about it!

I really think the NX will be a hybrid based on wii u, so all wii u games will work straight off the bat!! Which would be worrying... but that's another discussion.

Anyway, this time next month we won't really give a shit about this e3, it's such an in the moment thing and I can't believe how worked up people get about it!

I'm expecting an apology Direct in a few weeks, like we had in June 2012

Let me get the list out. Here is a list of first party published titles for the Wii U up to the end of 2015

New Super Mario Bros. U

Nintendo Land

Sing Party

Lego City Undercover

Game & Wario

Pikmin 3

New Super Luigi U

The Wonderful 101

Wii Party U

Super Mario 3D World

Sonic Lost World

Wii Fit U

Mario Kart 8

Wii Sports Club

Hyrule Warriors

Bayonetta 2

Bayonetta

Mario Party 10

Splatoon

Super Mario Maker

Yoshi's Woolly World

Art Academy Atelier

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Devil's Third

Star Fox Zero

Plus download only:

Pokémon Rumble U

NES Remix

Dr. Luigi

NES Remix 2

Pushmo World

So don't go parroting around bullshit that there was nothing. There's an average of just under one (0.97) first party published retail title a month for the Wii U

Knack

Driveclub

Infamous Second Son

LittleBigPlanet 3

Minecraft

MLB 14: The Show (Retail version in North America, digital download only in PAL)

Bloodborne

Until Dawn

Tearaway Unfolded

Total of 16 Sony published retail titles on PS4 over 25 months. That's an average of 0.64 a month

They did do more download titles and have funded & published a lot of indie titles, so granted they do have that. That takes them up to 52 titles for the PS4.

And Microsoft

Dead Rising 3

Forza Motorsport 5

Zoo Tycoon

Forza Horizon 2

Kinect Sports Rivals

Minecraft

Project Spark

Sunset Overdrive

Forza Motorsport 6

Rare Replay

Rise of the Tomb Raider

ScreamRide

So yeah, don't spout your bullcrap here. Nintendo have supported the Wii U, very much so. They even had equivalent launch support for the Wii U to the PS4 had

I'll speak from my own experience of owning the Wii U and ps4. The drought periods of the Wii U have been far worse. I don't go months without playing my ps4 but the Wii U I do. I guess the more important question is have they supported the Wii U with the right games and the market has answered with a resounding no!!! This Nintendo specific forum alone shows you what many Nintendo fans feel about Nintendo efforts with the Wii U.

You seemed to ignore the comment about the GameCube had third parties the Wii U doesn't.

Edited by liger05

@Serebii There was nothing for long periods of time, especially after launch. Had it not been for Monster Hunter my Wii U would have been just sat there for months.

There have been games but the spacing on them has been all over the place. This year they have done a better job at spreading them out, so I'll give them that.

Unlike Nintendo, Sony/Microsoft don't have to rely on their own studios to pump stuff out to keep their platform afloat. They don't need to invest in 1st party stuff as much as Nintendo because the 3rd party titles are the games that the masses are interested in. It's why you see both of them partnering up for things like Destiny and Creed.

Finally, I've mentioned this in the past but most of Nintendo's games, while very polished and fantastic to play, don't last very long. You can usually knock them out in around 15 hours tops. Hell, I practically sat and finished NSMB Wii in couple of sittings over the past couple of days. The other two usually make games with online modes to keep people playing for longer. You finish the story and then have something else to do. Again, meaning they don't need to make as many games to keep people invested in their machine.

Please Understand incoming? :D

In fairness it's not like Nintendo hasn't done it in the past. The Ambassador scheme was kind of a similar idea (but with a much smaller time scale).

That was very very different, that was as an apology for lowering the price of the system so soon after launch. New owners got the lower price, old owners got free games.

We're talking about giving Nintendo owners free money for games as an apology for... what? I still can't figure that part out.

I remember a year or so ago when Nintendo offered new 3DS owners a free, high quality game (Mario 3D World, A Link Between Worlds?) - I didn't see them as desperate - it just made me happy.

I don't remember that at all? It was about 4 months ago the new 3DS launched.

...We're talking about giving Nintendo owners free money for games as an apology for... what? I still can't figure that part out.

For telling us the console would have all the features it's competition would and that it would be up to par with online/voice chat etc..? :p

It still burns me that Reggie blatantly lied saying it'd have all of it. I was so looking forward to the WiiU and online gaming with it... :(

Because they're probably the most potent/likely market to buy an NX when it comes?

Who do you think is going to be buying this next gen Nintendo console - given how things are now? They don't turn these things around in a night.

New Super Mario Bros. U

Nintendo Land

Sing Party

Lego City Undercover

Game & Wario

Pikmin 3

New Super Luigi U

The Wonderful 101

Wii Party U

Super Mario 3D World

Sonic Lost World

Wii Fit U

Mario Kart 8

Wii Sports Club

Hyrule Warriors

Bayonetta 2

Bayonetta

Mario Party 10

Splatoon

Super Mario Maker

Yoshi's Woolly World

Art Academy Atelier

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Devil's Third

Star Fox Zero

Plus download only:

Pokémon Rumble U

NES Remix

Dr. Luigi

NES Remix 2

Pushmo World

Knack

Driveclub

Infamous Second Son

LittleBigPlanet 3

Minecraft

Bloodborne

Until Dawn

Tearaway Unfolded

And Microsoft

Dead Rising 3

Forza Motorsport 5

Zoo Tycoon

Forza Horizon 2

Kinect Sports Rivals

Minecraft

Project Spark

Sunset Overdrive

Forza Motorsport 6

Rare Replay

Rise of the Tomb Raider

ScreamRide

And you tried to object to the Classic Serebii Tactic :laughing:

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

Just been watching some of Gametrailers twitch back.

They mention Animal Crossing Amiibo Party basically using the 3DS games assets, and point to that as being a 'we need to make an Animal Crossing game using Amiibo, so let's make this quick budget game'.

That game could have looked like the Mii Plaza!

maxresdefault.jpg

Budget is one thing that comes across massively in the Nintendo Direct.

I mentioned it in the StarFox thread but I can't remember a time before when Nintendo were proud to show off a game so unpolished in it's presentation before.

Starfox

Animal Crossing Amiibo Party

Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer

Metroid Prime Federation Force

Currently these all come across as titles where they seem to be happy for them to reach a certain standard of presentation and then they're done. Very un-Nintendo.

Then you have Mario Tennis, probably the quickest and easiest Mario Sports game to make, let alone Nintendo sports game.

Triforce Heroes... gives the impression of a quick multiplayer Zelda with a tacked on gimmick.

And again, Paper Jam, just seems to be like reusing assets.

I dunno, does it all just seem very budget this year, a little desperate, and maybe trying to cash in on things quickly?

Edited by Retro_Link

Yeah, wouldn't surprise me, I love the fact iwata instantly tweeted, it shows they are listening. They made a big mistake this e3, misjudged things badly, but it isn't as big a deal as people are making it out to be. But they do need to sort their messaging out. They could show a trailer for Zelda tomorrow and it'd all be forgiven!

Because they're probably the most potent/likely market to buy an NX when it comes?

Who do you think is going to be buying this next gen Nintendo console - given how things are now? They don't turn these things around in a night.

They don't owe us anything. They released a console and supported it for at least four years with some excellent games. Giving away free games for no reason would just be bizarre and seem very very desperate.

You'll get to use your Wii U games. In a special mode called Wii U mode.

But you'll be made pay a bit extra for the upgrade. :p

Find it hilarious when people say the gamecube was loads better etc etc forums like this didn't say the same, they hated it, the n64 was loads better, except during r n64 people moaned about that too, no games, lost games to sony, that just had final fantasy 7 released and it's the world's best gsme.... :)

Im pretty sure we'll look back in the Wii u very fondly in the long run.

They don't owe us anything. They released a console and supported it for at least four years with some excellent games. Giving away free games for no reason would just be bizarre and seem very very desperate.

I'm not sure where you got from my post that I was saying they owed 'us' anything nor that they should 'give away free games for no reason'. I'm talking about selling hardware and software by getting the thing installed.