NEurope
Fused King

NINTENDO @ E3: Let the Hype juices flow

Nintendo messed up big time there's no denying that. They had no big reveals, they just filled the direct with meaningless chatter about things we already knew about. Seriously what were Nintendo thinking when they made this direct for E3!?

No major franchises announced for Wii U, i know they said Zelda U was not going to be at E3 but i expected to see a new trailer because that alone would of been HYPE.

They may have focused on games coming this year and early next year but isn't E3 the place to showcase projects coming to your system be it a year or 2 away to keep the interest going? Maybe it's Nintendo being secretive i don't know... but with all the NX talk it's likely the focus has been moved to that which would explain the poor showing for Wii U.

iirc Wind Waker HD only spent 6 months in development, i mean couldn't they have announced a couple HD remakes for the fans since they knew they had no major announcements for Wii U. Surely it wouldn't take much resources away from NX.

I was surprised there were no HD remake or more GC games .

I was surprised there were no HD remake or more GC games .

That truly is baffling.

I was talking to Blade and lostmario about this and I don't understand why they didn't knock out a remaster of F-Zero, Mario Sunshine or Twilight Princess. They knocked out Wind Waker pretty fast and even if they can't spare any resources then do what every other company does and outsource these projects to other teams. It seems like a no brainer move that could help beef up the release schedule.

Didn't Nintendo expand their workforce? And yet we're facing into a similar situation as the Wii.

[TWEET]610885268615225344[/TWEET]

They keep saying that they're learning from their mistakes but they're like the boy who cried wolf at this stage. What lessons are they learning exactly?

That truly is baffling.

I was talking to Blade and lostmario about this and I don't understand why they didn't knock out a remaster of F-Zero, Mario Sunshine or Twilight Princess. They knocked out Wind Waker pretty fast and even if they can't spare any resources then do what every other company does and outsource these projects to other teams. It seems like a no brainer move that could help beef up the release schedule.

I agree. I was informed of one ahead of time and am perplexed that it wasn't in the show.

Thinking about it, let's assume that they didn't have the Direct two weeks ago and they left the Smash stuff and Earthbound for this. That'd have made the Digital Event have:

Starfox

Super Mario Maker

Mario Tennis

Zelda: TriForce Heroes

Hyrule Warriors Legend

Dr. Mario Miracle Cure Available after the event

Chibi Robo: Zip Lash

Yoshi's Woolly World

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Fire Emblem Fates

SMTxFE

Smash DLC - Ryu, Roy & Lucas Available after the event

Earthbound Beginnings Available after the event

Metroid Prime: Federation Force

Metroid Prime: Blast Ball

Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam

Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer

Animal Crossing amiibo Festival

Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water

Art Academy Atelier/Home Studio

Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon

Yo-Kai Watch

Bravely Second

Little Battlers Experience

Mario & Sonic at the Rio Olympic Games

Devil's Third

Sonic Boom

Project Treasure

Skylanders amiibo stuff

Indie Sizzle Reel

Maybe Monster Hunter X & Monster Hunter Village + Dragon Quest 8 (though these are Japan only for now)

This would have been a seriously solid, albeit not megaton dropping performance and there would not have been complaints. Nintendo messed up by having the Direct two weeks ago. It's not that Nintendo lacks content, it's just they spaced this stuff out too much over the past few weeks and that worked to their detriment.

There Nintendo, I fixed your marketing for you. If you have a time machine, go fix it. If not, BLOODY LEARN FOR NEXT YEAR. Don't do a Direct within a bloody month of E3

Honestly if that's what being a Nintendo fan in the current day means getting excited about... I guess they're not for me anymore.

It just helps confirm to me they're not the same company anymore, and as @Hero\-of\-Time helped me realise, they're going far to Japanese only for my gaming preferences.

The difference between the list you posted above and the range of First and Third party games the N64, Gamecube and early Wii saw, is night and day.

I think it is a genuine point that people are creaming over games a couple of years away, when all Nintendo shoed was games in the immediate. In the utter madness of some peoples extreme opinions its a point worth making.... Except not on here. Because people attack you for fucking absolutely everything you do.

Come next e3, sony will show final fantasy 7, shenmue and uncharted again. All of the games Nintendo showed will be out and we'll be playing them.

Is all that that easy to understand? I know it isn't a black and white piece of pure ferocity and passion but it's clear as I can be.

So many are unhappy about the scarce smattering of new content Nintendo announced because it looked like bollocks. People are excited about Sony's showing because the games all looked amazing and/or were highly desired by the fans. Nothing else really matters.

The whole "Nintendo has more in the next 12 months, with Sony you'll have to wait 2 years" argument comes across as very desperate, like you're trying to salvage a point based on a technicality. I would rather wait 2 years (much less in TLG and Persona V's case) for great games I want than have a truckload of dogshit dumped on my front garden within the next 6-12 months. It's also totally incomparable, since the other consoles have third party games like Fallout 4 and Batman coming.

Honestly if that's what being a Nintendo fan in the current day means getting excited about... I guess they're not for me anymore.

It just helps confirm to me they're not the same company anymore, and as @Hero\-of\-Time helped me realise, they're going far to Japanese only for my gaming preferences.

The difference between the list you posted above and the range of First and Third party games the N64, Gamecube and early Wii saw, is night and day.

I never said it'd be an event "to get excited about", I said it'd be a solid, but not special, event and wouldn't elicit the massive outrage that has occurred. There would be people grumpy, sure, but it would be nowhere near as bad.

Come next e3, sony will show final fantasy 7, shenmue and uncharted again. All of the games Nintendo showed will be out and we'll be playing them.
It's different to the way Nintendo showed us Wooly World, Xenoblade and Mario Maker for the second E3 in a row is it? :indeed:

It's different to the way Nintendo showed us Wooly World, Xenoblade and Mario Maker for the second E3 in a row is it? :indeed:

This was, believe it or not, the FIFTH E3 that the Wii U was shown at. Nothing has changed.

This was, believe it or not, the FIFTH E3 that the Wii U was shown at. Nothing has changed.

Five years? Holy shit...

A mate said to me yesterday that in his opinion Nintendo, in regards to the NX, needs to have the biggest launch in video game history to turn the Wii U disaster around.

I disagree with "the biggest launch in video game history", but I agree with the fact they need a freaking big launch...a launch with changes left and right.

:shakehead

And the best one was still 2011 where they had a game that didn't actually happen - the tech demo of Link fighting a giant spider.

The best way to get over the disappointment of the Nintendo Direct is probably just to get back to playing some games :heh:

With all the hype and excitement leading up to yesterday's event, I hadn't really played anything for the last couple of days. I put that right by having some fun with Splatoon this morning and realising that I still have so much I want to play, regardless of what came yesterday!

The biggest issue I think I have with the games that were revealed is that pretty much everything feels recycled. Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam Bros seems like the offspring of Dream Team Bros and Sticker Star. Metroid Prime: Federation Force feels like they've brought Hunters back from the dead. The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes has more than a little bit of A Link Between Worlds going on. Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival is like a mash up of Mario Party 10 and the Animal Crossing Plaza. Hyrule Warriors Legends seems to be a scaled down version of the Wii U original. Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash initially appears to be an HD version of Mario Tennis Open.. with Mega Mushrooms! Even Starfox Zero manages to come across as a polished up N64 game and I actually hope it gets more time spent on it. It really looks like it needs it :blank:

As much as I'm looking forward to Super Mario Maker, it obviously recycles heavily too, even if it should be fun :smile:

For their E3 presentation, it's almost as if Nintendo haven't been to the shops for a couple of weeks and threw together the leftovers of whatever was in the fridge for dinner, scraping off some of the mould ::shrug:

It all points towards them getting prepared for their next move but past evidence would suggest that this is by no means a guarantee.

For me, the Wii U has definitely been worthwhile given all the hours of great entertainment it has given me since launch but I still feel like it is a few games short of being entirely satisfactory. Starfox Zero will hopefully turn it around..

Edited by nekunando

The reason they are focusing on the next 6 to 12 months and not showing any big title in the distance is because there probably aren't any. I imagine Zelda is the only big Wii U title left, and whilst they no doubt have plenty of big titles all under wraps, they're no doubt all set for the NX which Nintendo arent' willing to reveal yet.

So we're stuck in this awkward mess.

:shakehead

And the best one was still 2011 where they had a game that didn't actually happen - the tech demo of Link fighting a giant spider.

Also...

The thing is even though the retail releases will be thin on the ground there are plenty of Virtual Console titles which could be released to plug the gaps.

Though obviously releasing EarthBound Beginnings was a smart move but a few more titles wouldn't go amiss.

Yup, it says that a site was insane enough to compare things based on YouTube likes/dislikes.

Whilst I wouldn't take too much from it - I wouldn't call it completely invalid or anything. The bias imo would be that the videos are more likely to be liked(people are going to watch content they're already interested in) than disliked(people who don't won't be going to watch and dislike it) but it's at least a little interesting to see with the numbers to go along with it.

True. Both Yoshi and XCX were announced in January 2013. So 2 and 1/2 year wait for Yoshi and nearly 3 years for XCX. I'm fine with that, at least we knew they were coming. We've have nothing like that announced for Wii U in the future since then because there is nothing.

Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem could be in development nearly 4 years from its first announcement to its release here.

That truly is baffling.

Makes you wonder exactly where all these resources are going to though - I know there's Zelda but as I've said before - if Monolith could manage with XCX why are they struggling with Zelda? Where's all of the rest of their efforts going? I know we've got titles coming but it worries me there's not a lot on the horizon afterwards...

Makes you wonder exactly where all these resources are going to though - I know there's Zelda but as I've said before - if Monolith could manage with XCX why are they struggling with Zelda? Where's all of the rest of their efforts going? I know we've got titles coming but it worries me there's not a lot on the horizon afterwards...

We were left wondering the exact same thing when the Wii U launched. We thought the twilight years of the Wii were bad because the development teams had all been shifted. How wrong we were. I've gave up trying to work out just what the hell goes on over there.

We were left wondering the exact same thing when the Wii U launched. We thought the twilight years of the Wii were bad because the development teams had all been shifted. How wrong we were. I've gave up trying to work out just what the hell goes on over there.

I am of the belief that the Wii U's launch was hampered due to them having to shift efforts for the 3DS recovery.

3DS started off slower than they anticipated and they did leave gaps for third party developers to jump in, but it didn't quite work. Their plan backfired and they had to shift to more titles for it.

They made sure to show off plenty of amiibo yesterday. There was nearly 20 new amiibo. Who needs games from a video game company when you can get scalped buying toys instead?

869cNft.jpg

smash_bros-amiibo-e3-1__large.png

8_bit_mario_amiibo_super_mario_maker-700x394.jpg

Game%20and%20watch%20amiibo%20customisations-420-90.jpg

Bowser%20Skylanders%20amiibo-420-90.jpg

DK%20Skylanders%20amiibo-420-90.jpg

Glad they have their priorities right. :blank:

Edited by Wii

Those Animal Crossing amiibo look fantastic! Shame there isn't a new Villager though.

I am of the belief that the Wii U's launch was hampered due to them having to shift efforts for the 3DS recovery.

3DS started off slower than they anticipated and they did leave gaps for third party developers to jump in, but it didn't quite work. Their plan backfired and they had to shift to more titles for it.

I think Nintendo expected 3rd parties to fill in the gaps for the Wii U. They thought having a HD console would see them get 360/PS3 game ports at a minimum.

I do think there were 3rd party games in development but as the launch sales were poor and the 3rd party games that were released sold dreadfully they were cancelled promptly.

Indeed it does. People are just going through and disliking every video Nintendo post at the moment, which is disgusting. What did Steamworld Heist do?

Whilst I obviously wouldn't be immature enough to thumbs down the video, I'm pretty disappointed in Steamworld Heist. I'm sure the game will be good but I'd have much rather seen another Metroidvania from them.

Nintendo did this. It's pretty cool. Watch on Chrome or on a mobile platform