NEurope
Fused King

NINTENDO @ E3: Let the Hype juices flow

Talking about DLC for games in the main E3 shpwing and having that as a major point is NOT acceptable!

Unless it's DLC for Destiny, then that's ok obv.

He didn't say that.

Fantastic post @Zechs Merquise!

Also, @Serebii, people would have still complained had the earlier Directs not been shown and were instead included in the Digital Event. Talking about DLC for games in the main E3 shpwing and having that as a major point is NOT acceptable!

New game announcements are what's required, not padding for games already out!

Yeah, but there were new game announcements in the Direct and between the Direct and the Digital Event. That's the thing I'm getting at. I'm also not saying the Digital Event would suddenly be "oh my god, best ever", I'm saying it would have been a far more solid showing.

The Smash DLC is one thing in the list and you focus on that and act like that was the focal point of my post.

You're twisting my words.

Does someone with time want to check what Sony and Microsoft showed last year?

All this talk of "at least Nintendo showed what is coming out in the next twelve months", I'm just curious if the others have a different approach and use E3 to focus on the long term future as, in a lot of cases, we know a lot about games coming out soon and showing them at E3 could be a waste of precious time.

I'm disappointed but the fact that the only new Wii U games they showed were that awful Animal Crossing game and Mario Tennis makes it clear where their development is focused. If their available teams started work on big projects as late as 2013/early 2014 it would be too late due to long development cycles. Hell, Zelda has virtually missed the entire generation and will come out right at the end. Xenoblade is in the same boat.

It's better to push smaller, less exciting titles onto teams (or even better, to external developers AKA Platinum) so everyone can get used to development tools for NX. As Reggie said, Nintendo are in a period of transformation. The last thing they want is to arrive at E3 2016 in the same place they were at E3 2011/12, with nothing to show but HD sequels to Wii titles. They know they need to wow the public again and I'm sure they will be hoping to show off some kind of software strategy next year. They were about 18 months late with everything on Wii U and didn't release enough groundbreaking content. I can only hope they address this next year. Until then it's slim pickings.

To be honest, I wouldn't be so frustrated if it wasn't for the fact that Zelda, Metroid and Starfox all look horrendous. What happened to Nintendo's famous art styles? Starfox looks okay given its rushed development cycle but this is Nintendo we're talking about - Where's the love and attention to detail?

I do expect a lot better when NX is launched but man people thought with the Wii slowdown development was ramped up for the Wii U and we saw what happened their. I would assume the HD development will be easier now and more important the company realises the importance of launching a new console with the right software after the last two mistakes.

Realistically can Nintendo support a platform by themselves. PS4 at this time doesn't have much 1st party games on the horizon but when you have third parties picking up the slack it isn't so much an issue.

I actually bothered to charge up my laptop at home with the intention of watching the Digital Event later after it had finished to see what Nintendo was going to show off (and this is despite my laptop very much being on its last legs) but checking up on little bits and pieces over the course of the hour yesterday evening put that plan to rest (it at least freed up my evening to play a bit of The Witcher 3 :grin:).

As far as showings go, that was pretty poor for a manufacturer and developer who is having to single handedly support its home console. The omission of even a trailer for Zelda was just stupid and in hindsight, I suspect Nintendo themselves realise that a trailer for it would have been beneficial even if the game isn't ready to be at the show in playable form. And the new titles shown have clearly done little to appease gamers. Hell, even StarFox Zero looks ropey as anything and considering it's being developed by Platinum, that goes some way to saying how bad things are for Nintendo.

It's not only in their best interests but also in the interests of the games industry for Nintendo to continue to provide a strong and solid slew of games, and though I and other may be tired of some of their bigger franchises, that slew of games should and must include those and that showing does nothing to support their position currently as they really are running on fumes. Yes, they may wish to only announce things for a certain time frame but going off of that showing, it's clear there isn't much there to show and interest has shifted elsewhere.

I think it speaks volumes when someone like Bethesda Software can do a conference with essentially 3 games and put on a much better showing than that.

My and others interests may have changed away from Nintendo, and so some might claim I have no right to make comment on what they have to offer, but the expectation of a company to do more than that is still there in the larger sense of the industry and if I was a shareholder, I'd be looking for some answers.

I think it speaks volumes when someone like Bethesda Software can do a conference with essentially 3 games and put on a much better showing than that.

You're absolutely right, very depressing thought.

Sometimes you seem as delusional as Serebii, maybe even worse as you dont really seem to ever have a clear opinion or a stance on the situation.

Here you argue that the showing wasn't awful or as bad as people here are suggesting, yet in the same message, state that its obvious that Nintendo are phasing out the Wii U... You acknowledge that the showing was crap...? or don't you?

Why does FF7 being "two years away" (like as if you know) mean anything? The fact is a games company has chosen to remake a game that fans have been wanting for over a decade. Thats enough. Thats future proofing your console and sealing deals with fans.

At the very least, have a stance, have a clear-cut opinion before you label mine as being a drama queen.

I seriously don't why I other talking to some people on this forum, get no where.

People struggle when anyone has any nuanced opinion other then love/hate.

I'll make this really clear. The direct was awful. They gave us the Metroid we didn't want, the Zelda, although looks great, not the one we wanted, and a disappointing star fox. They had no big reveals for the Wii u, no big surprises, which is quite obvious what people want from e3.

Okay. Clear?

Now. Stepping back. Thinking about the next 8-12 months, they just showed games in the immediate, the games we'll actually be playing rather than future games which would make it more spectacular. Should they have shown us a big future game, I thikn is yeah, and I think the response from people says the same thing. But do we have to be so pathetically childish to cry and whine about it like some people are?

I think it is a genuine point that people are creaming over games a couple of years away, when all Nintendo shoed was games in the immediate. In the utter madness of some peoples extreme opinions its a point worth making.... Except not on here. Because people attack you for fucking absolutely everything you do.

Come next e3, sony will show final fantasy 7, shenmue and uncharted again. All of the games Nintendo showed will be out and we'll be playing them.

Is all that that easy to understand? I know it isn't a black and white piece of pure ferocity and passion but it's clear as I can be.

He didn't say that.

But in the sony thread and everything people have been mentioning destiny DLC as a positive and great thing. So how come it'd be meaningless for Nintendo to do the same....?

It's not about either being wrong or right though, it's about the double standards that have been a cancer on these boards for a few years now.

Edited by dazzybee
Automerged Doublepost

Come next e3, sony will show final fantasy 7, shenmue and uncharted again. All of the games Nintendo showed will be out and we'll be playing them.

As well as other titles in development.

I think it is a genuine point that people are creaming over games a couple of years away, when all Nintendo shoed was games in the immediate. In the utter madness of some peoples extreme opinions its a point worth making.... Except not on here. Because people attack you for fucking absolutely everything you do.

Is all that that easy to understand? I know it isn't a black and white piece of pure ferocity and passion but it's clear as I can be.

But as Zechs mentioned in his post that I heavily agree with - it isn't NEW stuff. A lot of it we already know about. Hell, some we already had last year at E3!

Now back track a year. Nintendo had a killer showing and were applauded for it! This article summed it up perfectly: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-13-directly-to-you-nintendo-wins-e3-on-its-own-terms

A year on and it's an unmitigated disaster. The kind that leaves you scratching your head.

It's not just a lack of games that is shocking - but the games Nintendo chose to actually give us is equally perplexing. Whereas Sony gave the fans a FF7 remake - something they have been crying out for. Microsoft announced a new Gears of War and a 10 year anniversary of the original. Nintendo on the other hand gave us a cheap, nasty and frankly insulting Metroid spin off. Who actually wanted this? An Animal Crossing board game - not a single person I know would have had that on their wish list. Mario Tennis is great when it's an addition to a packed conference, but as the one stand alone new Wii U reveal it's pathetic - almost insulting.

As I watched the Microsoft press conference I was wowed by the Halo footage and thought Recore looked great. When I watched the Nintendo conference I saw the same footage of Yoshi that I've seen for a year now. I saw the same Xenoblade footage. Then to top it off I was treated to footage from the 80s and 90s of old Mario games and people messing around dressed as Mario.

But in the sony thread and everything people have been mentioning destiny DLC as a positive and great thing. So how come it'd be meaningless for Nintendo to do the same....?

It's not about either being wrong or right though, it's about the double standards that have been a cancer on these boards for a few years now.

I haven't been over there so I can't comment, but a single example of something being praised from a greater whole is hardly enough to support this argument. For some Destiny DLC is a positive and great thing maybe, for some maybe not - I'm sure for the rest of content it holds true too. There's people here happy with SOME of what was shown - to isolate a single aspect/comment about a single aspect and apply that on a whole is foolish - as it appears to me with your Destiny DLC argument.

But as Zechs mentioned in his post that I heavily agree with - it isn't NEW stuff. A lot of it we already know about. Hell, some we already had last year at E3!

I haven't been over there so I can't comment, but a single example of something being praised from a greater whole is hardly enough to support this argument. For some Destiny DLC is a positive and great thing maybe, for some maybe not - I'm sure for the rest of content it holds true too. There's people here happy with SOME of what was shown - to isolate a single aspect/comment about a single aspect and apply that on a whole is foolish - as it appears to me with your Destiny DLC argument.

First bit: oh I know. That's why as an e3 conference it was awful, nothing to excite which is what we all want. but I'm just saying in the grand scheme of things it's not the deal people are making it to be.

Second: yeah of course. Im not arguing about destiny dlc, I don't care either way. I'm just saying I think the issue ronnie had is the double standards of one being great and a plus, but if Nintendo did it wouldn't have made a difference. (And to reiterate I'm not even saying Kav has these double standards, he may not give a shit about the destiny dlc either). These double standards happen all the time.

He didn't say that.

And I certainly wouldn't have done!

Ronnie, if you've seen any of my thoughts on Destiny you'd know I think the DLC is the most overpriced, thin on the ground content I've ever seen (moreso than I think of Splatoon).

It's ridiculous that DLC is in any of the briefings in my eyes.

Ha, and he clearly doesn't.

This could go horribly wrong, but could people do a list of all the games coming to each console this year? I would genuinely be interested. Maybe not all indies or whatever, maybe exclusive indies only.

It would be good to see I think. Can Wii u and 3DS be added together ;)

I dont think I've ever really had an issue with DLC in a conference as long as its surrounded by actual games. Something like a Destiny expansion seems big enough to warrant a place but I wouldnt say the same thing for say cosmetic DLC.

Ha, and he clearly doesn't.

This could go horribly wrong, but could people do a list of all the games coming to each console this year? I would genuinely be interested. Maybe not all indies or whatever, maybe exclusive indies only.

It would be good to see I think. Can Wii u and 3DS be added together ;)

I would think that list would be changing all this week wouldnt it? Like we only just found out Persona 5 was a 2015 release for the US this morning.

@dazzybee

The criticism in regards to everyone slagging off Nintendo's showing DLC in a direct and not slagging off Sony is unfounded.

Activision is a third party publisher whereas Nintendo have to single handly bring new content to their consoles. Sony is therefore right in showing Destiny DLC in their conference. Sony has the third parties on board.

Well, you're asking the wrong guy. I don't give a damn about Destiny DLC.

I was just pointing out that kav didn't say anything like "it's ok for others to do"

What's with all the comparisons with Sony and Microsoft? It's like saying you can't be hungry because people in Africa have less to eat.

I just look at Nintendo's show and I feel really empty handed, especially when looking at Wii U for 2016.

The show had a lot of charm when it comes to style and presentation but there should've at least be one surprising jawdropping megaton announcement. Instead it felt like fillers, small releases, far too much repeating of things we know about for (over) a year (Yoshi, Mario Maker, Starfox)...

I know there will be more games, but I need to see them, have them announced to have something to look out for.

Haven't felt so unhyped about Nintendo home console gaming in a very long time... :(

Sure, the current library has a lot of superb games but that's all in the past; hype comes from stuff you can look forward to.

Should have realised it was going to be bad when we seen the 3 muppets at the start. Some of it was admittedly funny though. The rest of the show was not.

I look forward to this event all year and it was a horror show yesterday. I've said very little in this discussion but I'm hugely disappointed, dismayed, appalled. Strangely enough I'm not angry though I initially was(though it may return). It's almost like it's par for the course these days.

Nintendo have major problems. Selling the NX to the competition console owners, 3rd parties, casuals and burnt Wii U owners is going to be a big ask. If the hardware isn't right I dread the decisions they'll potentially have to make if it fails. They control their own destiny(for now), they just have to make the correct choices.

Nintendo messed up big time there's no denying that. They had no big reveals, they just filled the direct with meaningless chatter about things we already knew about. Seriously what were Nintendo thinking when they made this direct for E3!?

No major franchises announced for Wii U, i know they said Zelda U was not going to be at E3 but i expected to see a new trailer because that alone would of been HYPE.

They may have focused on games coming this year and early next year but isn't E3 the place to showcase projects coming to your system be it a year or 2 away to keep the interest going? Maybe it's Nintendo being secretive i don't know... but with all the NX talk it's likely the focus has been moved to that which would explain the poor showing for Wii U.

iirc Wind Waker HD only spent 6 months in development, i mean couldn't they have announced a couple HD remakes for the fans since they knew they had no major announcements for Wii U. Surely it wouldn't take much resources away from NX.

I think even if they had launched mario maker right at the end, rather than that best buy demo thing, that would have helped for me. It would have certainly helped me forget E3

What Are The Most Popular And Unpopular E3 Nintendo Games (According To YouTube Likes)

Even the crew at My Nintendo News freely admit that Nintendo’s 2015 Digital Event @ E3 was not perfect — while some games have been seeing some love, others (as well as Nintendo as a whole) are being raked across the coals. Whether this is a response to the games themselves or a reaction when comparing the Nintendo Event to Sony, Bethesda, and Microsoft’s generally well received conference, Nintendo is getting socially and critically dismembered (prompting a quick apology from Nintendo Japan CEO, Satoru Iwata.)

However, nowhere has this vitriol been seen quite as prevalently as the YouTube videos. After checking the likes and dislikes of each individual announcement, we’ve tallied the popularity of each reveal, from the superstars to the flops. Check out the list below, and let us know whether you agree!

Italics titles are Nindies.

Bold titles are events.

Regular typeface titles are games shown during Nintendo’s Direct.

1. Typoman: 99% (745/7)
  2. Earthbound Beginnings: 98% (5406/72)
  3. Freedom Planet: 98% (1180/22)
  4. RIVE: 98% (515/11)
  5. Soul Axiom: 98% (452/8)
  6. Mutant Mudds Super Challenge: 98% (266/6)
  7. Nintendo World Championships 2015: 97% (28454/905)
  8. Super Smash Bros. New Content Approaching: 97% (18918/654)
  9. Fire Emblem Fates: 97% (3324/109)
  10. Shantae: Half-Genie Hero: 97% (1906/50)
  11. Runbow: 97% (743/23)
  12. Nindies@Home: 97% (679/20)
  13. Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water: 97% (1248/41)
  14. forma 8: 97% (364/12)
  15. Lovely Planet: 96% (617/25)
  16. Xenoblade Chronicles X: 95% (2381/123)
  17. Yoshi’s Woolly World: 91% (834/83)
  18. Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam: 90% (2376/275)
  19. Super Mario Maker: 89% (1382/159)
  20. Star Fox Zero: 84% (3024/546)
  21. FAST Racing Neo: 79% (677/182)
  22. Genei Ibun Roku #FE: 76% (1557/485)
  23. Hyrule Warriors Legends: 73% (858/316)
  24. Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer: 68% (955/442)
  25. The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes: 66% (1085/563)
  26. Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash: 64% (426/241)
  27. Yo-Kai Watch: 60% (470/310)
  28. Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games: 59% (975/687)
  29. SteamWorld Heist: 55% (364/293)
  30. Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash: 53% (1377/1206)
  31. Nintendo Digital Event: 44% (2955/3710)
  32. Skylanders SuperChargers: 23% (507/1668)
  33. Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival: 13% (540/3538)
  34. Metroid Prime: Federation Force: 9% (1511/15364)

*** This list was made on the current statistics of YouTube videos, they are subject to change (and likely have changed already).

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/06/16/what-are-the-most-popular-and-unpopular-e3-nintendo-games-according-to-youtube-likes/

That list says a lot.

I seriously don't why I other talking to some people on this forum, get no where.

People struggle when anyone has any nuanced opinion other then love/hate.

I'll make this really clear. The direct was awful. They gave us the Metroid we didn't want, the Zelda, although looks great, not the one we wanted, and a disappointing star fox. They had no big reveals for the Wii u, no big surprises, which is quite obvious what people want from e3.

Okay. Clear?

All you had to do in your previous message quoting me was control the chimp within and not call me a potentially offensive term just because I'm voicing my own opinion in my own way.

If the above is indeed your opinion, why the hell are you having a go at me for - or anyone else with practically the same opinion?? Confusing.

For me, yes, 'time has run out for Nintendo' - its not a dramatic statement, its a fact that I won't be investing in the Wii U and won't have very much high hopes for the future. I will get a PS4 at some point because of E3 - thats how fans are won and lost.