NEurope
Blackfox

Trevor McDonald is bullshit.

Yes, Tonight with Trevor McDonald is nothing more than bullshit scaremongering. Why? Well, in tonights episode, they discussed the upcoming thread from birdflu.

Now, instead of suggested what could and might happen, they proceeded to tell the TV population that it was on our doorstep. They assured us all that there wasnt enough drugs for 99% of the population.

However, they failed to mention the lack of reports of human cases and the fact the government is stocking up on anti-viral drugs.

Its just a pity that British TV is having to resort to the Americanism of scaring the nation.

Discuss.

Can the media do anything right at the moment? It's like when they started those "petrol shortages" warnings, which causes people to go out and fill up...therefore resulting in a bigger shortage. :hmm:

I would rather they didn't do an article or a "story" on something, when they are not in full possession (sp?) of the facts. Like here.

scaremongering, ah the brainwashing of our times..."terrorists live next door to you, this is our excuse of wasting time in other countries...an other news, sharks have attacked new york, this sudden wave of killer sharks is killing our women and children, this is an excuse for killing them and eating them har har"

this is exactly what i though when wathcing this appalling television show. why waste valued air time on such shit as this when they could have showed the episode of coronation street as one hour long piece. damn how i yearn for an hour long corrie. anyway, on the show they said that there were about 100 cases of bird flu that had been reported or something, hardly a pandemic or epidemic yet i think :hmm:

You fear, therefore you consume.

Pretty much the West summed up there. Bad opinion polls, things not going your way? Start a war! (Ok forget what happened to Mr. Blair, which I think was brilliant. It's always a trick to unite the country behind such a noble and patriotic cause to beat some other countries asses).

this is exactly what i though when wathcing this appalling television show. why waste valued air time on such shit as this when they could have showed the episode of coronation street as one hour long piece. damn how i yearn for an hour long corrie. anyway, on the show they said that there were about 100 cases of bird flu that had been reported or something, hardly a pandemic or epidemic yet i think :hmm:

Or have the whole one and a half hour for Corrie :hehe:

I was half watching this, I didn't really think anything of it at the time but I see what you mean. Why are they giving us all these statistics when there isn't a threat?

Yes, Tonight with Trevor McDonald is nothing more than bullshit scaremongering. Why? Well, in tonights episode, they discussed the upcoming thread from birdflu.

Now, instead of suggested what could and might happen, they proceeded to tell the TV population that it was on our doorstep. They assured us all that there wasnt enough drugs for 99% of the population.

However, they failed to mention the lack of reports of human cases and the fact the government is stocking up on anti-viral drugs.

Its just a pity that British TV is having to resort to the Americanism of scaring the nation.

Discuss.

HEY, HEY stop complaining the UK has way more drugs than than the US

Oh man, I'm building me a bunker just in case.

install a bunk bed and im coming to your's when it all goes down!

...ill bring protection.....

will a hammer be sufficient ?

I don't watch Tonight with Trevor McDonald. It's so fake, it doesn't even have Trevor McDonald for most of the programme!

Bring back World In Action! They knew how to make a fucking current affairs series! :bah:

That is the exact reason why I don't watch much TV anymore - I got a subscription of a big german newspaper and that is enough news for me. All this crazy headline and the sensationalism is insane but I guess it would not be shown if nobody would watch it. To be honest I think in our world today those headlines are the right thing for most of the people (aka the lemmings of our society).

I actually think he's a good reporter, and by no means scare mongering, you ask why they havn't mentioned any cases, well they said this is what could happen if the virus adapts, i think they gave a ballanced report, which was informative, we can't just ingnore any possible future threats, and i by no means found it to be anything like americain reporting.

Can the media do anything right at the moment? It's like when they started those "petrol shortages" warnings, which causes people to go out and fill up...therefore resulting in a bigger shortage. :hmm:

To be fair they did keep publishing interviews in print and showing stuff on TV from the oil companies saying there was no shortage what so ever.

It was the fault of the fools and greedy folks that caused the panic buying.

I'm feeling quite smug in that I didn't take part in all that, and as well not having to queue for hours, I'll be getting petrol cheaper than the folks that did panic buy it.

Though I always feel quite smug.

Nice post Haden, top Brass Eyeing there.

To be fair they did keep publishing interviews in print and showing stuff on TV from the oil companies saying there was no shortage what so ever.

Aye, i give them credit for that. But that was after the damage had been done, really.

This thread fits in really well with Radiohead's Idioteque.

"We're not scaremongering,

This is really happening, it's happening.

[…]

Who's in the bunker?

Who's in the bunker?"

Athriller's in the bunker.

To a certain degree it does boil down to the individual. Most people on here are mature enough to make our own decisions on things - and thusly take what we see on TV with a pinch of salt.

However if tomorrow on the BBC news they said there WAS a fuel shortage, then you can gaurentee people would swarm the petrol pumps - because they can't be sure of the accuracy of the news they don't want to take a risk.

Just like when Trev says Birdflu is a real issue - alot of people really are going to worry. Personally I think hes getting just like one of these tabloid newspapers, and is telling people what he thinks is good news - not whats relevent news. And he knows if the public think he is reporting important news then people will watch it. Which is all he cares about.