NEurope
Dcubed

HOLY SMEG!! Red Dwarf series XI AND XII announced! (2016-2017)

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2015/05/02/red-dwarf-returns-twice/

Saturday 2 May, 2015 - UKTV's leading entertainment channel, Dave, today announced it has greenlit two new series of Emmy Award winning comedy sci-fi classic, Red Dwarf.

Red Dwarf XI and Red Dwarf XII begin production in the autumn before airing on Dave in 2016 and 2017.

Co-produced by Grant Naylor Productions and Baby Cow Productions, Red Dwarf XI and XII are written and directed by Doug Naylor. The series once more reunites Chris Barrie as Rimmer, Craig Charles as Lister, Danny John-Jules as Cat and Robert Llewellyn as Kryten.

Red Dwarf XI and XII are commissioned by Richard Watsham, Director of Commissioning at UKTV, ordered by Dave General Manager, Steve North and will be overseen and executive produced for UKTV by Simon Lupton, Commissioning Editor at UKTV. The Executive Producer for the production company is Baby Cow's Henry Normal, and the Series Producers are Richard Naylor and Kerry Waddell.

Doug Naylor said: "Steve North and everyone at UKTV have been so supportive of Red Dwarf from the start of their involvement with the show. Steve originally asked for more shows back in 2012 but frustratingly it's taken until now to get our ducks in a row and all the boys available at the same time. Now they are, we're all absolutely delighted."

Simon Lupton, Commissioning Editor, UKTV, said: "Red Dwarf has superb talent attached; writing, directing and acting plus an expert team who absolutely know what they are doing when it comes to delivering a stand-out piece of television. It has a universal appeal that manages to touch long-standing fans and recruit new ones. It is fantastic to be collaborating with them again on the next phase of the Red Dwarf adventure."

Steve North, General Manager, Dave, said: "Red Dwarf is a really important show for us and I'm delighted that we are bringing more new episodes to our viewers. Above all else it's a really funny show and one that is held in great affection by millions of people, including the Dave team. We've built up a great relationship over the years with Doug and the cast and it's a privilege to be working with them again."

To celebrate the announcement UKTV has added a bespoke collection of previous episodes, including the complete Red Dwarf X series, to its on demand service UKTV Play, which is available via the iOS or Android app, Virgin TV, YouView and at uktvplay.co.uk. Red Dwarf X will also be available as a box set on Sky Go and Sky Set-top boxes.

In 2009 Dave made its first move into scripted comedy commissions with Red Dwarf: Back to Earth, followed by a six-part series, Red Dwarf X in 2012.

Red Dwarf: Back to Earth was the biggest ever non-terrestrial commission with over 2.6 million viewers tuning in to catch up with the four hapless space explorers as they returned to television for the first time since the BBC series ended a decade earlier. Red Dwarf X topped over 2 million viewers and never dipped below 1.6 million across the series.

Red Dwarf has enjoyed phenomenal success since it first aired in 1988 on BBC2. It brought in more than eight million viewers for series eight, sold over 11.5 million DVD and videos worldwide, broadcast in some 25 territories worldwide and won International Emmy and British Comedy Awards.

New Banjo Kazooie successor, then new Red Dwarf!! This has been a good damn week! :D

I actually really quite enjoyed Series X. It wasn't the absolute best the series has ever been, but it was surprisingly good IMO, so high hopes for this one!

YEESSSSSS!!!! I absolutely adore Red Dwarf, and love the cast in a way that I don't with any other actors! The chemistry between them is amazing. I remember back in the '90s my schoolfriends told me how great the programme was, and so I watched it, my first-ever episode being... (consults Wikipdedia) The Inquisitor on 27th February 1992. Since then I've been hooked.

I have been reminding myself of them on Dave over the past few years and they are so bloomin' funny. It's interesting to see the significant changes between series. This scene in Better Than Life (Red Dwarf II) cracked me up so much:

Smoke me a kipper!

I was surprised at how good Red Dwarf X was so I'm glad to see it coming back. One of the rare times where a revival has actually worked.

Very happy and two series is completely unexpected. I feel a marathon working my way through them all again for the umpteenth time is on the books.

I don't know what to say about this! i'm a little Tongue tied!

:yay:

Brill. :D

Reckon we'll see Dwayne?

I watched it, was ok. Not the greatest, maybe not the worst. I don't think I kept up properly with the last series, and there's definitely signs of age there; but it wasn't terrible. They went with an idea for the episode and really ran with it as Dwarf does - just wasn't entirely my cup of tea. Got a few chuckles at least. I was more excited for the two older episodes after it tbh :p

I thought it was decent. Nowhere near the best, but certainly not the worst. It was hard to put my finger on what exactly was missing, it just felt like they hadn't quite found their feet. The missus (who hadn't watched Red Dwarf before) found it funny.

Not the strongest start to the new series, reminded me of Lemons, which was my least favourite episode of Series 10. Hopefully the rest fare better...

I really enjoyed series 10, but even that had a couple of dud episodes, so i've got high hopes for this.

The first episode wasn't stellar though.

It's been a very good series, in my opinion.

Samsara had a brilliant (but chilling) sci-fi idea - the Karma Drive. Like all great sci-fi, it held a mirror up to humanity. Imagine something that could be programmed by authorities to project their personal morals onto everyone. Very thought-provoking, and I laughed out loud at the skeletons having an orgy. :heh:

Give & Take - Loved the characterisation of Cat. When Kryten and Rimmer rescued Lister and Cat, it cemented Rimmer as the true hero of Red Dwarf (we all know he is!)

Officer Rimmer - A great showcase of Rimmer's desire to be above others! He was right to try and destroy the other spaceship, as he was only defending StarBug (he's the highest-ranked for a reason). I loved the barbershop quartet, and there was a huge belly laugh when Kryten and Rimmer tried to unjam the printer!

Krysis had a laugh-out-loud moment with the guttural foreign language lesson, and let's face it - Red Dwarf began in 1988. Most of its fans could relate to the central premise of this episode.

On 5/5/2015 at 5:15 PM, Nolan said:

Fuck, I still haven't watched past VIII....

This is still true......fuck. 

11 hours ago, Nolan said:

This is still true......fuck. 

Stop getting drunk and fix it, you utter smeghead!