NEurope
Wii

Yooka-Laylee

Damn, they're nearly at £1mil already... Glad to see that means they'll have character designs from Kev Bayliss and Ed Bryan. Yooka and Laylee are looking great but in a way, kinda bland too. Yooka, at least. Just reminds me of Gex or Croc or something like that.

I was never a massive 3D platforming guy but its nice to see this being funded so well for the people that were. I doubt I'll buy this but I'll probably keep an eye on it to see what comes from it, if this will be the return of 3D platformers for a while like we had with adventure games or just a one off.

1000000_one_million_views_fireworks_turquoise.jpg

IjmMzurYulKEw.gif

htPnvFI.gif

Congratulations to Playtonic Games on reaching the £1,000,000 stretch goal target in less than 24 hours. Why stop there? Keep going, make it even bigger, bolder and better. This will have caught the big boys attention.

This was Yooka and Laylee's reaction on hearing the news.

Smiling-Chameleon-Wallpaper.jpg

smiling-bat-head.jpg

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

Personally hate the look of the characters. I thought it was a wind up when I first saw it. :blank:

Hey! No!

Chameleons are cool. Shut up!

Most crucially, day 1 Wii U release has now been confirmed. How often can we say we've had parity with other platforms in regards to release dates?

[TWEET]594487419560419329[/TWEET]

yooka-laylee-stretch-goals.png

New stretch goals have been announced over on the Kickstarter page.

£1.1 million = N64 shader mode and a credits “GK Rap + Video” written by Grant Kirkhope.

£1.2 million = A developer walkthrough and commentary video.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

I've come from the thread in general gaming (no idea why it's in here when it's multiplatform, especially where there is far more discussion related to other consoles to be had, like will this make Microsoft sit up and notice? but nm)....Posted this in there so thought I'd repost it here:

2746822-traq.jpg

The pace is now putting it closer to $25 million...I doubt it will raise quite that much...but who knows....

EDIT:

Example of people wanting the moon on a stick;

They have to make a poll or something, I don't think everybody wants the same, I rather have the extra money used for content in-game, than for other versions of the game, skins, amiibos, physical releases, and things like that. If I have to choose, I'll choose more worlds, maps bigger, more move sets, more characters, more vs, co-op modes, online multiplayer, things for the game, not for us.

I know there's a lot of people for who this is their first kickstarter so temper your expectations folks!

Edited by flameboy

The success of this kickstarter is a reminder to everyone, especially Nintendo, that people still love full on 3D platform games. Give us more!

Very excited by the footage of this..can't wait :D

The success of this kickstarter is a reminder to everyone, especially Nintendo, that people still love full on 3D platform games. Give us more!

Very excited by the footage of this..can't wait :D

Arguably Nintendo as one of the only developers still making them don't really need the reminder? We had Super Mario 3D World semi recently?

What the hell...credit card only? :(

Man, I really want to pledge but I don't have a credit card...

Great to see this funded! Excited to see what is produced.

Anyway, I thought people were sick to death of platformers, especially @kav82 ?

Arguably Nintendo as one of the only developers still making them don't really need the reminder? We had Super Mario 3D World semi recently?

Super Mario 3D World is very different to a game like Sunshine or 64, which had big open worlds made for exploring. It's much more like NSMB in that the levels are very bite sized, much like the planets in the Galaxy games. Banjo is much more of a explorable-platformer like Mario 64/Sunshine that it is a SM3DW/NSMB.

We haven't really seen 3D platform games with big, explorable worlds like Banjo, Conker and Sunshine for over a decade or so. They actually discussed this on the latest episode of Radio Free Nintendo (or maybe it was Nintendo Voice Chat) where they spoke about how Nintendo consoles were the kings of big, open 3D platformers but even Nintendo themselves seemed to have moved away from that model with their platform games. Compare that to the late 90's and early 00's where they was a complete over-saturation of 3D platform games..weird how times change!

Now it's all about FPS's :(

Im warning you lot now, this thread is not to turn into a "was SM3DW a proper 3D platformer" thread!

Im warning you lot now, this thread is not to turn into a "was SM3DW a proper 3D platformer" thread!

Sorry if it sounded like I was hijacking the thread :(

I'm just delighted we're getting a 3D advernture/platform game again. I grew up on the N64 and got a Gamecube as soon as I could afford so these types of games are my bread and butter :heh:

Going back to the kickstarter..did this game break any records in terms of how quickly they hit £1mil?! I still can't believe it happened so quickly!

The way to describe it is "collectathon platformer".

The way to describe it is "collectathon platformer".

I've never actually played Donkey Kong 64 but from what I've heard, that's THE game that took collecting stuff too far, right?

Great to see this funded! Excited to see what is produced.

Anyway, I thought people were sick to death of platformers, especially @kav82 ?

You know it's expecting to release quite a while away yet right? It's not like it's just around the corner. Plenty of time to not play platformers. Plus it's more a platformer/adventure.

Also, I'll probably pick this up on the PS4, a console which isn't saturated by platformers which goes a way to lessening my annoyance at the abundance of them.

Edited by Kav

I've never actually played Donkey Kong 64 but from what I've heard, that's THE game that took collecting stuff too far, right?

Yeah definitely. The guys even acknowledge it in their kickataeter. :heh:

Collect-em-up 2.0:*A roster of shiny collectibles with gameplay progression at their core (as well as other, more valuable materials). Every collectible type in our new game will expand gameplay in a meaningful way. Yes, we employ the man responsible for DK64's myriad of trinkets, but we've had a stern word.*Our main collectible, Pagies, are used to unlock and expand new worlds in Yooka-Laylee.

Also, I'll probably pick this up on the PS4, a console which isn't saturated by platformers which goes a way to lessening my annoyance at the abundance of them.

Then you should get Splatoon, on a console which isn't saturated by shooters, which should go a way of lessening your annoyance at the abundance of them.

Then you should get Splatoon, on a console which isn't saturated by shooters, which should go a way of lessening your annoyance at the abundance of them.

I love shooters though so no. Plus, voice chat.

The game has passed the £1,200,000 mark. Time for more new stretch goals.

I'd rather they didn't bother adding little novelties for each arbitrary value, just spend more time, more effort on a great game! BK was more, much more, than a collect-fest platformer, it was funny, brilliantly designed, had a fantastic atmosphere and a tonne of variety. It had a lot of heart. They really have to nail this, not just create a platformer and have it succeed on the name alone or the fact that it's attempting to revive a genre.

Decided to fork out for:

"*DIGITAL DELUXE EDITION!*

DIGITAL GAME, SOUNDTRACK, RETRO MANUAL + ART BOOK

The full digital package! A code to download the final version of Yooka-Laylee, plus a digital soundtrack, digital retro manual and a special digital art book. Includes all previous rewards!"

Not sure if by digital code it means PC only, but I use my PS4 controller on my PC for Final Fantasy VIII, which can accomodate a Banjo Kazooie style game easily. Mainly went for this for the soundtrack, which will be awesome.

I love shooters though so no. Plus, voice chat.

Voice chat. So hot right now, voice chat.

Please keep on topic....

Edited by Shorty

[TWEET]594850810258927616[/TWEET]

[TWEET]594852151517650944[/TWEET]