Wii

Yooka-Laylee

Recommended Posts

I hate to admit it but I would probably triple dip this to play in bed and in lunch breaks on Switch. If the price was lower. I do have a £17 Grainger Games voucher from a trade in but I’d rather put that towards Zelda DLC or RE Revelations 2 or something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking beautiful in handheld mode! Rather enjoying the nostalgia-service, but it feels artificial unlocking abilities in this way after Odyssey and BOTW basically dropping you in a playground and saying "GO".

Dialogue is funny and I think they've pitched the knowingness just right. There's just way too much text!

Seems to work perfectly as a portable game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this not available as a physical release?  Can't seem to find it anywhere.

While I would prefer it on Switch, £35 for digital or £12 for physical PS4 is a bit...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ashley said:

Is this not available as a physical release?  Can't seem to find it anywhere.

While I would prefer it on Switch, £35 for digital or £12 for physical PS4 is a bit...

No, there is no physical edition on Switch - unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah bit of a kick in the teeth that Switch owners not only had to wait so long for the game, but now they have to pay way over what a physical PS4 or Xbox copy would cost. 

I’d happily play it again if they lowered it to below £20 but doesn’t seem like that’s happening just yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Is this not available as a physical release?  Can't seem to find it anywhere.

While I would prefer it on Switch, £35 for digital or £12 for physical PS4 is a bit...

It's not worth £35 so I'd say go with the PS4 version if you really want the game but I'm not sure I could wholeheartedly recommend it :smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Playtonic updated their blog to celebrate the 1 year anniversay of the game.  In it they said this....

Quote

Yes, hands up, we’ve been a bit quiet for a while. But we promise it’s because we’ve been far too busy working on covert goodness, and not because we’ve been down the pub for 4 months. Soon we’ll start talking more actively, both about extra content for Yooka-Laylee, plus… other stuff. Shhh!

I'm very excited to hear about the extra content and what other things they have planned. I loved the game and would love an excuse to revisit it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Why does it always have to be extra content...just make new games/sequels.

I imagine that there were things they couldn't fit in the the game in time for release. Plus, with them being a very small studio, it's probably easier for them to build upon a game that they already have finished, rather than constatly making new stuff.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I imagine that there were things they couldn't fit in the the game in time for release. Plus, with them being a very small studio, it's probably easier for them to build upon a game that they already have finished, rather than constatly making new stuff.

While I can understand that reasoning I still don't like all of this "extra content" we keep getting for games that already are a complete experience in itself (like this one or Ni No Kuni II). But hey, I usually don't pay for something like that so... :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I imagine that there were things they couldn't fit in the the game in time for release. Plus, with them being a very small studio, it's probably easier for them to build upon a game that they already have finished, rather than constatly making new stuff.

Pretty much this.

 

They've probably started pre-production work on their next game as well, they did hint at "other stuff" after all; but yeah, it's much easier to add to an existing game than to build something completely new from scratch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has the game ever been discounted on the eShop? Crazy that you can pick it up for a tenner on the other platforms but it's still £34.99 on the Switch. I wonder if they plan on doing a cartridge release with this new content? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Has the game ever been discounted on the eShop? Crazy that you can pick it up for a tenner on the other platforms but it's still £34.99 on the Switch. I wonder if they plan on doing a cartridge release with this new content? 

No. I'm waiting for it to be as I find it very much too expensive compared to other platforms. I'd be fine with £20-£25.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how it sold on the Switch? I can't imagine it doing great numbers seeing as it came a hell of a lot later than the other versions and was far more expsensive. Uusally when an indie game sells well the developers send out a tweet but I don't recall that ever happening for this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have really soured the relationship with the Nintendo fans with the constant delaying, fairly high price compaired to the other platforms and no physical release. And it didn’t help that the game didn’t live up to a lot of people’s expectations.

It’s really a shame especially when looking back at the start of their campaign for this game. They talked a lot about how much they’d love to release it on Wii U and their fond memories developing for Nintendo back in the N64 era.

 

Edited by markderoos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, markderoos said:

They have really soured the relationship with the Nintendo fans with the constant delaying, fairly high price compaired to the other platforms and no physical release. And it didn’t help that the game didn’t live up to a lot of people’s expectations.

It’s really a shame especially when looking back at the start of their campaign for this game. They talked a lot about how much they’d love to release it on Wii U and their fond memories developing for Nintendo back in the N64 era.

 

Well it’s hardly their fault that the Wii U got replaced by the Switch before they finished the game; and Nintendo fans ended up getting an absolutely superb port as a result (arguably the best version of the game even!)

 

While the lack of physical release and high price (for the time) was unfortunate, those are decisions that Playtonic are not responsible for, but rather Team 17.

 

You can fault the game for a lot of things, but I can’t really fault Playtonic for their treatment of the Nintendo fan base.  Don’t forget that the Wii U version was originally the only console version that Playtonic themselves were making (Team 17 handled the PS4/Xbone versions); so it’s no surprise that it took longer when they had to scrap everything and start over.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Well it’s hardly their fault that the Wii U got replaced by the Switch before they finished the game; and Nintendo fans ended up getting an absolutely superb port as a result (arguably the best version of the game even!)

 

While the lack of physical release and high price (for the time) was unfortunate, those are decisions that Playtonic are not responsible for, but rather Team 17.

 

You can fault the game for a lot of things, but I can’t really fault Playtonic for their treatment of the Nintendo fan base.  Don’t forget that the Wii U version was originally the only console version that Playtonic themselves were making (Team 17 handled the PS4/Xbone versions); so it’s no surprise that it took longer when they had to scrap everything and start over.

You’re absolutely right that Playtonic isn’t to blame for the situation but that’s not how most fans see it.

I think most Nintendo fans just see that it was planned for release on Wii U and most were absolutely delighted for it. It took a while before they let the fans know that it wasn’t releasing on Wii U anymore but instead they chose to launch it on Switch. Then it didn’t make launch day, nor did it release alongside the PS4 and X1 versions. When it did launch, there was no physical version to be seen and it was even more expensive than the PS4 and X1 versions at that moment. In the meanwhile reviews weren’t that great either.

So yeah, they aren’t to blame for the most part but I can neither blame the Nintendo fans’ reaction to the scenario above.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I wonder if they plan on doing a cartridge release with this new content? 

I'd like a physical release of the complete edition. I'll forgive them for not releasing a physical release earlier.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally defeated Capital B last night, having gained the minimum 100 Pagies needed, after pretty much 20 hours of play time...

Mixed feelings on the game overall to be honest. 64 era games are probably my favourite so when this was announced, even though I didn't back it, I couldnt wait.

The first world Tribal Tropics I really enjoyed and felt like "here we go!"...but the quality declined steadily as the game got further along, with the Casino level in particular being a shocker.

It definitely had its moments and I did enjoy it, but my overall feeling is they advertised a "spiritual successor to Banjo Kazooie" but instead gave us one to DK64 and BT; while I personally did enjoy both of those games, they weren't a pacth on BK and for the size of the team at Playtonics they should have been focussing on smaller worlds with more quality than these larger ones with just empty spaces and a lack of soul.

Never thought I'd say this in a million years before I'd played them, but Super Lucky's Tale on the Xbox was a much better game.

Still, got this one finished before DK comes out on Friday, whether or not I try to 100% it I'm not sure as of yet!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

 

Never thought I'd say this in a million years before I'd played them, but Super Lucky's Tale on the Xbox was a much better game.

 

Woah woah woah!!

That's one bold claim! 

:p

I've played both and whilst I enjoyed Lucky because of how easy and accessible it was, I think this was the much much better game. Mainly because it was way more inventive for a start. 

The levels are much better in Yooka, although I completely agree re the casino world. Awful. Needs to be destroyed immediately. 

But the number of moves for the characters is way more substantial than Lucky and opens the door for different styles of gameplay - something I found Lucky lacked massively. 

Interesting to read your findings though! Ultimately, I was really disappointed in YL, and I played through it twice and completed it fully both times. I felt like the patch they put in helped a fair bit over the originals, but the game could have been much better than it was. I hope a sequel is on the cards because I think they could really nail a second game. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aneres11 said:

I hope a sequel is on the cards because I think they could really nail a second game. :) 

I'm not entirely sure I agree! With Banjo-Kazooie, absolutely everything came together in such a magical way be it the characters, the worlds, the music, the graphics or whatever else. Those guys have never came anywhere close to matching the quality of it sense.

Bigger certainly doesn't mean better so Playtonic would be wise to scale everything down to a more manageable size with more of an emphasis on a tighter and more compact experience with less roadblocks throughout and less unnecessary traversal.

I'm not saying they won't make a better game next time around but I don't really have any faith in them producing a truly great game..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

Woah woah woah!!

That's one bold claim! 

:p

I've played both and whilst I enjoyed Lucky because of how easy and accessible it was, I think this was the much much better game. Mainly because it was way more inventive for a start. 

The levels are much better in Yooka, although I completely agree re the casino world. Awful. Needs to be destroyed immediately. 

But the number of moves for the characters is way more substantial than Lucky and opens the door for different styles of gameplay - something I found Lucky lacked massively. 

Interesting to read your findings though! Ultimately, I was really disappointed in YL, and I played through it twice and completed it fully both times. I felt like the patch they put in helped a fair bit over the originals, but the game could have been much better than it was. I hope a sequel is on the cards because I think they could really nail a second game. :) 

Haha I've been known to make wild claims before! 

I think that simplicity of Lucky's is what made it more enjoyable, to be honest.

I definitely appreciate what you're saying and in terms of game mechanics and things to do their is barely any competition as Yooka packs so much in...but in terms of just enjoying the game, lil' Lucky was a joy!

Agree though I'd like to see Playtonic build on what they've learned and done with Yooka, but I just hope they actually make that BK successor this time! :p

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now