NEurope
Wii

Yooka-Laylee

That's the beauty of video games: It's all a matter of opinion. :)

If I had been in your position I would've given up on the game very early, though.

That's the beauty of video games: It's all a matter of opinion. :)

If I had been in your position I would've given up on the game very early, though.

Of course it is. Wouldn't do for us all to like the same.

And like I say, there is some fun to be had with this game. I was / am a HUGE fan of the Banjo series, so I was very keen to see this game through.

But I don't think anyone can say that it isn't without it's frustrations, even if they enjoyed it overall.

I think that's just the nature of this type of game though, so some of it was expected. But it does too much wrong, in my opinion, compared to B&K which has made it totally annoying in parts.

Mike1988uk is playing it at the min (he too, loved the B&K games) and he's been texting me with how pissed off he's been at certain sections, and they have tended to be the same ones I've wanted to smash something over! :laughing:

Yooka -

- Laylee

content-2-35142-yookalaylee64sidebox.jpg

64-Bit

Edition

Better late than never. ;)

Larger size images can be made available on the forum if required.

I took some pictures of the 64-Bit edition a while ago with the intention of putting them on site.

This is the best I could do for now though, so at least you can see what the box and cartridge looks like. :D

: peace:

http://www.playtonicgames.com/greenandpurplepatch/

switch2.jpg

As our first significant game update nears completion, we will soon be entering the Nintendo Switch-specific testing phase. And hopefully, if our test team doesn’t break it too badly, we’ll be in a position to deliver you a final release date shortly after.

We’re also pleased to confirm that all of the important additions and changes contained in our upcoming game update will be included on day one in the Nintendo Switch version of Yooka-Laylee, in addition to the ability to play on the go!

Thanks again for your patience. We’re looking forward to putting Yooka-Laylee for Nintendo Switch in your hands!

Well that's nice :) Lots of nice improvements in this update too. Glad to see that the Switch version will have all the improvements right off the bat (and lizard).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

I've got to say, those updates sound terrific.

All of the things that were seemingly annoying, gloomy gem grotto, some of the controls, camera, mine and arcade challenges etc, are all showing as being improved.

This will really make me tempted to pick it up again on Switch.

As much as I wanted to punch something whilst playing the game on my One, when the game was good, it was very very good so hopefully all of these improvements will make it the game it should have been day one.

Was there any word on a release date for the Switch version of this (or Rime) at E3?

Was there any word on a release date for the Switch version of this (or Rime) at E3?

Nothing. The indies were largely ignored. :(

Here's a small update regarding the Switch version.

The Playtonic team continues to work flat-out on the Nintendo Switch version of Yooka-Laylee. We’re aware of the huge demand for more news on this and appreciate your patience as we work out the final issues. As soon as we’re 100% confident with this version and everything is approved, we will make sure you’re first to know the release date!

I wonder if a release for this year is even on the cards at this point? I'm still hoping for some king of amiibo support to be implemented, with the possibility of a Yooka-Laylee being released alongside the game.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Here's a small update regarding the Switch version.

I wonder if a release for this year is even on the cards at this point? I'm still hoping for some king of amiibo support to be implemented, with the possibility of a Yooka-Laylee being released alongside the game.

Every time someone mentions the possibility of that amiibo, I have a little cry.

I would buy the crap out of that one. Damn you, Chameleon bias...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Every time someone mentions the possibility of that amiibo, I have a little cry.

It would be such a missed opportunity if they don't release one.

9 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Are you going to paint it blue?

• Like 1

The update came out for PS4 and One too. 

I am currently playing it (again) on PS4 despite basically kicking right off over it when I played it on the One. 

I guess I just like torturing myself. :D

I'm enjoying it a lot more this time, but it's only because I know how to do certain things that I didn't on my first play through. 

I'm up to world 4, so don't know if I'll benefit from the updates now, as most of the annoying stuff they patched (gloomy gem grotto), I've already done, but I'll go back and see. Controls and camera feel tighter, there's a dedicated move list now upon start menu which is good and those damn voices have been cut out more which makes it more tolerable. The totals menu is now really fast to navigate through, another of my annoyances from last time, and there are very clear signs on how to get to the next world, something that I spent a lot of time scratching my head over! 

So far so good. 

On 07/06/2017 at 4:57 PM, Dcubed said:

http://www.playtonicgames.com/greenandpurplepatch/

switch2.jpg

Well that's nice :) Lots of nice improvements in this update too. Glad to see that the Switch version will have all the improvements right off the bat (and lizard).

That game looks like the kind of game my fiancée MIGHT like.. not sure how she'd like a 3d platformer like this though... but maybe worth a try :D

27 minutes ago, Pestneb said:

That game looks like the kind of game my fiancée MIGHT like.. not sure how she'd like a 3d platformer like this though... but maybe worth a try :D

I reckon she might do... But we still have no date for the Switch version yet...

How is there still no word on a release date for this? I've been holding out for the Switch version but think I'll just pick it up for PS4 at this stage.

2 minutes ago, Rob3008 said:

How is there still no word on a release date for this? I've been holding out for the Switch version but think I'll just pick it up for PS4 at this stage.

Hold that thought at least until tomorrow night at 11PM UK time... we might get a release date by then or soon after. :)

• Like 2

Unity issues are causing delays. :(

"Hello! Because it's been a little while since we last refreshed you on our progress, today we have an update on our efforts to complete Yooka-Laylee for Nintendo Switch.

The Playtonic team has been working tirelessly to bring Yooka-Laylee to Nintendo Switch and we're very nearly there (we promise!) However, we've encountered some final technical hurdles and had been waiting for the arrival of Unity 5.6 in order to fix them. Although this has now been released, it has unfortunately introduced other issues which we are working with Unity to resolve before we can submit to Nintendo and lock in our release timeline.

We understand the frustration that it's taken so long to get the game in your hands but we hope that you understand that we're working as fast as we can and want the game to perform as well as it possibly can on Switch. Once these remaining issues are resolved we hope to finally be able to commit to and share a launch date. Thanks as ever for your patience and please bear with us - we are getting there!

In the meantime, see this page for a sneak peak of how the lizard and bat are looking!"

Battle Chasers ( another game I'm eagerly awaiting ) is suffering from similar issues with the Unity engine and has also been delayed on the Switch.

At this point I think they'd be smart to look to a December release, to put some distance from Odyssey next month.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ronnie said:

At this point I think they'd be smart to look to a December release, to put some distance from Odyssey next month.

I definitely agree. I would have bought this if it was released today but any closer to Mario and I just won't have the time to do it justice. A January release would actually be quite good but that will never happen as they want the Christmas sales.

Wahey! They actually got it out within the year! Honestly didn’t think they’d make it!

Keen to see what optimisations and changes they’ve made since the original release...

Wonder if the sales are going to take a hit now that SM Odyssey has been out and perhaps quenched the thirst for this type of game.

Otherwise, good news. Hope that this isn't another RiME-incident.

8 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I'm pretty confident it's not. The reason for the delay was optimization. And the video on IGN looked good, though I only watched it for a minute.

It's a shame it's digital only for the moment, but I'll be pre-ordering this regardless.

27 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

The IGN footage looks very solid.  See for yourself.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1