NEurope
Wii

Yooka-Laylee

I don't care about how this weighs on the current argument but man, I feel sorry for you on this. Banjo Kazooie is one of the greatest games of all time. I couldn't get an N64 at launch, I didn't get one for over two years after release actually. When I could finally have one, after a price drop and at Christmas, Banjo Kazooie - a game I had played a lot at my friend's house - was my only must have title. Before SM64, Goldeneye or anything like that, I wanted Banjo Kazooie. The music, atmosphere, humour, charm, size, variety of worlds, general fun and quality of gameplay/controls and intelligence of it all... did I mention the music? There are very few equals out there. The generation's best developers (after Nintendo) at their absolute peak.

I encourage you to hunt down this game if you have a means of playing it (Xbox 360?) then you might understand what we're all excited about except nando.

Yeah I appreciate it's hugely popular. I could easily be wrong but I suspect Banjo, like Goldeneye, was one of those games you had to play at the time to appreciate. I think if I went and played it now it wouldn't do anything for me.

Yeah I appreciate it's hugely popular. I could easily be wrong but I suspect Banjo, like Goldeneye, was one of those games you had to play at the time to appreciate. I think if I went and played it now it wouldn't do anything for me.

Goldeneye, yes.

Platforming hasn't progressed much since Banjo-Kazooie and Mario 64.

I don't care about how this weighs on the current argument but man, I feel sorry for you on this. Banjo Kazooie is one of the greatest games of all time. I couldn't get an N64 at launch, I didn't get one for over two years after release actually. When I could finally have one, after a price drop and at Christmas, Banjo Kazooie - a game I had played a lot at my friend's house - was my only must have title. Before SM64, Goldeneye or anything like that, I wanted Banjo Kazooie. The music, atmosphere, humour, charm, size, variety of worlds, general fun and quality of gameplay/controls and intelligence of it all... did I mention the music? There are very few equals out there. The generation's best developers (after Nintendo) at their absolute peak.

I encourage you to hunt down this game if you have a means of playing it (Xbox 360?) then you might understand what we're all excited about except nando.

How did you feel about Banjo-Tooie and Donkey Kong 64? Neither were anywhere close to the majesty of Banjo-Kazooie so it's probably fair to be apprehensive about Yooka-Laylee at this point :heh:

Personally I always found Banjo to pale in comparison to Mario 64, always felt like a poor imitator to me. Saying that, I'm excited for this!

I was always Banjo > Mario 64. Just felt more fun to play, and the world's were more interesting and had a good sense of humour.

I can't even think of the last proper 3D platformer I played...probably Galaxy 2?

How did you feel about Banjo-Tooie and Donkey Kong 64? Neither were anywhere close to the majesty of Banjo-Kazooie so it's probably fair to be apprehensive about Yooka-Laylee at this point :heh:

I feel like both games tried to expand the formula by the wrong means. One decided that sheer scale was the thing people loved and leaned into boosting that aspect, and the latter jumped up the complexity and "collect-fest" angle to create the illusion of depth. Not that either game was bad, by any means, but no, they didn't hold a candle to BK. Hopefully though Yooka is a child of a more introspective time for developers (which I certainly feel that we're in) where they're free of overhead interference and able to appreciate the core of what makes good things... good.

Edited by Shorty

Personally I always found Banjo to pale in comparison to Mario 64, always felt like a poor imitator to me. Saying that, I'm excited for this!

Yeah I agree. I think I rented Banjo over a weekend once, or maybe I bought it and returned it, but I didn't like it nearly as much as Mario64.

I feel like both games tried to expand the formula by the wrong means. One decided that sheer scale was the thing people loved and leaned into boosting that aspect, and the latter jumped up the complexity and "collect-fest" angle to create the illusion of depth. Not that either game was bad, by any means, but no, they didn't hold a candle to BK. Hopefully though Yooka is a child of a more introspective time for developers (which I certainly feel that we're in) where they're free of overhead interference and able to appreciate the core of what makes good things... good.

This is a cracking post.

An interview from E3 2016 I just stumbled across on You Tube...

It gives some insight into the "speech" used in the game.

Plus there's some excellent back and forth between Grant Kirkhope and Steve Mayles. :D

My two cents on Banjo and how it's aged @Ronnie , is that I played a tiny tiny bit of the N64 version. So without nostalgia I can say playing it on the 360/One it is still a fantastic and well made game. If you do get the chance to play it, try it out.

Backers who spent over £20* are going to get Toybox access on Steam sent out soon.

From their mailer:

What is the Toybox?

The Toybox is a self-contained, spoiler-free sandbox designed to give Yooka-Laylee backers a taste of the platforming mechanics set to appear in the final game. There are moves to try, custom-built props to play with, secrets to discover and yes, shiny collectibles to hunt out, but it's only a small sample of the finished production - and visually incomparable.

Is the Toybox a demo?

The Toybox has been created from scratch for our backers and is not a traditional ‘demo’. In particular, the environments you see in the final version of Yooka-Laylee will be far more vast and detailed than the intentionally-simple playground you’ll be able to jump around in this week. There are also far more moves, animations and general polish included in the main game.

* I believe this is the case, not sure if there was also an opt-in.

I've got my Toybox Plus. Playing it right now!

Quick impressions, it plays great, the music is great, the voices are adorable, the humour's on point and it exhudes joy all around.

Yup, it seems like the real deal! :D

It's not a demo in the traditional sense, but rather it's a custom made test area with various game mechanics to try out and shiny trinkets to collect. I can record footage/stream if you guys are interested...

Edited by Dcubed

I've got my Toybox Plus. Playing it right now!

Quick impressions, it plays great, the music is great, the voices are adorable, the humour's on point and it exhudes joy all around.

Yup, it seems like the real deal! :D

It's not a demo in the traditional sense, but rather it's a custom made test area with various game mechanics to try out and shiny trinkets to collect. I can record footage/stream if you guys are interested...

Might be good for the site provided its okay with Playtonic. Is it mentioned in the email if you can (if not I'll get in touch with them)?

(doing site business out in the open because we're cool and transparent and not disorganised and amateur, obviously)

Might be good for the site provided its okay with Playtonic. Is it mentioned in the email if you can (if not I'll get in touch with them)?

(doing site business out in the open because we're cool and transparent and not disorganised and amateur, obviously)

Yes, you can stream, record and stuff.

Can I stream or capture video of the Toybox?

Yes, go nuts. Bonus points if you do it in your pants.

They specifically said that it's ok to stream/record whatever :)

Edit: Right, no, seriously. WHERE IS THIS DAMN SECRET BUTTON!!!?!?! I'm going mental here!!

They specifically said that it's ok to stream/record whatever :)

Edit: Right, no, seriously. WHERE IS THIS DAMN SECRET BUTTON!!!?!?! I'm going mental here!!

I saw them acknowledge on Twitter there's problems with the button disappearing and they're looking into it.

Perhaps they didn't actuall include one.

Actually, I've already seen it. Here's a clue

OpPb36o.jpg

I saw them acknowledge on Twitter there's problems with the button disappearing and they're looking into it.

Cheers. Found it in the end.

Actually led to a secret for the final game!

3ABF9E32-6A58-446D-B9C3-9166A28ABECB_zps4gco95xl.jpg

9B7037DB-A7CE-448A-8398-B53E13B69819_zps2xjmd15a.jpg

Yeah, I think this game's gonna be tight :)

I regret not holding money back when I was earning much less to back the Kickstarter. All these glowing impressions from the Toyboy mode makes me frustrated I can't get in on the action. 2017 feels so far away.

Naturally, I had to give it a go.

It really does feel like a Banjo game. Right down to the blatant Talon Trot knock off! It is really strange that it runs at a silky smooth framerate, I've played the N64 games so much that the concept of a 60 FPS Banjo game feels really bizarre!

There's a few kinks to work out, of course. The cameras a bit iffy at times. But there was so much in there that made me grin like an idiot. From Yooka's very posh voice, to the lack of Toybox budget meaning we couldn't read repeat dialogue, also the Wifi there sucks.

The animation is top notch too, there's small touches like Yooka tilting his head when changing direction which gives the feeling of weight behind doing so. Even walking slowly got a good chuckle out of me, because for some mental reason, they decided to give him one hell of a swaggy walk.

They don't say a damn word throughout and yet both of them just ooze character.

Special props go to the fall damage animation which not once failed to make me smile. Not sure encouraging players to fall from high places is the way to go, but I'm cool with it.

I seriously can't wait for this game!

Well, I was hoping to be posting in here with loads of impressions and praise but alas... the Toybox + does not seem to be working for me. :sad:

I got both codes from the Backerkit, installed the Toybox first and then the Plus content in the same manner, ran the setup application, connected my Xbox One controller via USB and then... I get all of the splash screens from that wonderful Playtonic logo, Team 17, right through to the "We recommend using a gamepad/the Toybox does not save your progress" screen followed by nothing.

Should I just send a report in to Steam or start a thread in the community on there? I thought it best to try here first so here are a few things I have tried...

Controller/no controller

Max settings/low settings

Toybox +/-Toybox +

And my setup is...

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Processor: AMD A6-6400K APU with Radeon HD Graphics (2 CPUs), ~3.9GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Display Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Any advice appreciated please as I'm at a loss as to why it's not working, I seem to be quite comfortably above the system requirements so unless it's a bad install or something similar then I have no idea. ::shrug:

I've had no problems at all, so I'm not really sure what to suggest I'm afraid.

Your system should have no trouble running it at all I'd imagine. You can try uninstalling/re-installing it, but I'd suggest asking on the Steam forums as I'm a bit clueless about it TBH.

The only other piece of information I've found out is that when it crashes after the splash screens, it cites the reason as "ApphangB1" which I've researched, some people seem to have had success by going into C:/Programfiles(x86)/Steam then apparently by deleting everything in that folder apart from the SteamApps folder and Steam.exe, restarting the PC then loading up Steam again apparently that has worked for some.

I don't want to go down that route right away though so I'm going to try updates and things like that first because as for uninstalling the Toybox from Steam, I've never had to do that before and I don't want to mess anything up and then not be able to access it at all unless it's easy to do and I won't have any problem downloading both the application and the dlc again.

*sigh* Hopefully I'll get to play it before this day is out. :p

-----------------------------------------------------

I'll just send a report and call it a day, hopefully it's not just me having issues and it will get fixed.

Edited by S.C.G

Played the toybox to completion yesterday, it's a lot of fun. It really does feel like they've distilled the BK formula and applied it here. I did play with a keyboard though, which I wouldn't recommend; that said, the platforming feels tight.

Nice to see the NPC humour is there still as well, that's pretty much crucial to a BK-style game.

Having watched the above I have to say I just don't get the appeal. I love platformers but I just don't see what's so fun or interesting about this. It looks like a shallow collect-a-thon. The whole thing just seems very dated to me and I suspect will rely pretty much excusively on nostalgia for good reviews. Obviously it's only a tech demo sandbox, but I was bored after about three minutes, so will probably give this game a miss.