NEurope
Wii

Yooka-Laylee

Latest email says a £1,500,000 goal will allow them to use a full orchestra for the music, then they'll concentrate more on making a great game. Brilliant news :)

Hmmm... Banjo Kazooie music done by an orchestra... Not really feeling that. I can imagine it losing that feelz.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out, but does anyone else find the character designs a bit bland? And I really don't like Laylee's nose. It looks like I. R. Baboon's arse.

I am happy to see this has got off the ground, as I'm a massive Nintendo fan and this looks so much like a Nintendo/Rare game.

I'm also sad that Nintendo didn't buy Playtonic and this isn't an exclusive Wii U games.

However, despite this forum exploding and despite plenty of nostalgic joy over the Kickstarter, I am not getting too excited over the game or how well it will perform. $1.5 million only equates to 30,000 people spending $50, in modern terms 30,000 sales is nothing.

I hope this revives the 3D platformer and I hope it does big business, but as of yet, we simply don't know how it will pan out. Just because a small vocal minority of backers put their weight behind something doesn't ensure it will be a success.

As for the characters, I like them. It feels like an N64 game in the way Shovel Knight felt like a NES game. Which to me, is a good thing!

$1.5 million only equates to 30,000 people spending $50, in modern terms 30,000 sales is nothing.

You change them dorrah to Pound Sterling NOW. :blank:

I'm also sad that Nintendo didn't buy Playtonic and this isn't an exclusive Wii U games.

(not singling you out, but it's the easiest to find quote to make the following point)

I'm not sure why people want Nintendo to buy out Playtonic to make this exclusive. Surely it being multiplatform and having a potential wider audience is better for the company and for the fans. Furthermore, if it does well on other consoles it might encourage others to make platform games, whereas if it just did well on Wii U it could be met with "oh yeah that's because Wii U is 70% platformers"*

*I know not true unto itself, but it's a notion that exists and the percentage was just random.

tl;dr multiplatformidity = yay

Hmmm... Banjo Kazooie music done by an orchestra... Not really feeling that. I can imagine it losing that feelz.

Nuts & Bolts' soundtrack claims otherwise ;)

Say what you will about the game, but you can't fault it for it's music :)

One of the best features of the Banjo Kazooie soundtrack was how it changed dynamically depending on the situation, like if you went in a new area or underwater. Could that still be done as well with an orchestrated soundtrack?

Also that Nuts & Bolts soundtrack just sounds like remixes of Banjo Kazooie, did it have any decent original stuff?

Nuts & Bolts' soundtrack claims otherwise ;)

Say what you will about the game, but you can't fault it for it's music :)

The majority of that appears to be music from the first game. And although it still sounds nice. It doesn't sound "the same", if that makes sense.

I am happy to see this has got off the ground, as I'm a massive Nintendo fan and this looks so much like a Nintendo/Rare game.

However, despite this forum exploding and despite plenty of nostalgic joy over the Kickstarter, I am not getting too excited over the game or how well it will perform. $1.5 million only equates to 30,000 people spending $50, in modern terms 30,000 sales is nothing.

I hope this revives the 3D platformer and I hope it does big business, but as of yet, we simply don't know how it will pan out. Just because a small vocal minority of backers put their weight behind something doesn't ensure it will be a success.

As for the characters, I like them. It feels like an N64 game in the way Shovel Knight felt like a NES game. Which to me, is a good thing!

Correct me if I'm wrong (literally, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not using it in the same way as the saying "correct me if I'm wrong" I'm basically saying "I don't know" but;

Assuming it comes out, is it not already a success? The reason that 30,000 sales is nothing for other games is because it might not make profit/that kind of thing, whereas this game is made by 7 people, so....there's less to get lost in a company.

If they've covered things like external providers (orchestra, production of physical copies) in the stretch goals, does it matter how many it sells?

If they've all made enough money to live off for the few years this will have taken....they might just do it all again?

I could be chatting complete shit.

The majority of that appears to be music from the first game. And although it still sounds nice. It doesn't sound "the same", if that makes sense.

Well, there is original music as well, but that world has loads of remixes from BK/BT so it makes for a good comparison.

I get what you mean by it not quite sounding the same, but I reckon that Grant Kirkhope's style actually translates very well to orchestra; so I'm happy to see them shooting for an orchestral score with Yooka Laylee :D

One of the best features of the Banjo Kazooie soundtrack was how it changed dynamically depending on the situation, like if you went in a new area or underwater. Could that still be done as well with an orchestrated soundtrack?

It's perfectly possible. Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 did that, as does Mario Kart 8, Viva Piñata, Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, Skyward Sword and Super Mario 3D World.

Also that Nuts & Bolts soundtrack just sounds like remixes of Banjo Kazooie, did it have any decent original stuff?

Showdown Town's music is really nice! (and comes along with plenty of variations as you walk around too ;) )

Edit: Should also say that I'm glad to see that they're addressing my concerns about the stretch goals bloating the production and forcing them to expand their focus; with everything extra they're earning being instead put towards polish and stuff outside of the core game development - exactly what I was hoping to hear! :D

Edited by Dcubed

(not singling you out, but it's the easiest to find quote to make the following point)

I'm not sure why people want Nintendo to buy out Playtonic to make this exclusive. Surely it being multiplatform and having a potential wider audience is better for the company and for the fans. Furthermore, if it does well on other consoles it might encourage others to make platform games, whereas if it just did well on Wii U it could be met with "oh yeah that's because Wii U is 70% platformers"*

*I know not true unto itself, but it's a notion that exists and the percentage was just random.

tl;dr multiplatformidity = yay

I don't think you're singling me out at all, and I'm more than happy to answer as to why I believe Nintendo and Playtonic would be good together and why I feel Nintendo acquiring them would have been a positive move.

Firstly, Nintendo need to acquire more developers. They need talent. They have had hugely successful partnerships with the likes of Rare, HAL and Retro Studios. But they need more partnerships like that. Some companies wouldn't fit with Nintendo - whilst I feel others would. Playtonic are definitely a company that would feel right under Nintendo's wing.

Secondly, there's no other company in gaming that have been producing games for as long at such consistently high quality as Nintendo. What's more, Nintendo are the masters of the platform genre. If anyone can help polish a game or help a team get their product to the next level or the gold standard - it's Nintendo. I think a small team like Playtonic would benefit hugely from the input Nintendo can provide and it could well lead to a much better product in the end.

Thirdly, this game feels like a Nintendo game. Certain games just feel at home on certain systems. This isn't just a retro-style game, its an N64 game. It's just so Nintendo/Rare it's unreal. I feel it would be at home on a Nintendo console - from the animal 'mascot' style protagonists, the bright colours and the silly names, it feels Nintendo. Rare had their best output when paired with Nintendo, their games fit Nintendo systems. I believe Playtonic have come up with a game that has that similar fit. Rare seemed to die when in the wrong hands. The same is true for other developers - I don't feel Bungie (despite their pedigree) would be at home with Nintendo. Master Chief wouldn't look at home on a Nintendo console as he does on Microsoft's console. This is obviously something that is highly subjective, certain things just go together and when I saw that mock-up of an N64 box for this game, it worked on every level, it just felt Nintendo.

Yeah I agree with this. I'd rather have it unorchestrated. It feels better

Thirdly, this game feels like a Nintendo game.

Absolutely. It's also a reason why they put the Wii U before PS4 and Xbox in their press releases and Kickstarter, which usually never happens.

Similar story with Shovel Knight "feeling" like an NES game and how it was a Nintendo exclusive (ish) for a long while.

I don't think you're singling me out at all, and I'm more than happy to answer as to why I believe Nintendo and Playtonic would be good together and why I feel Nintendo acquiring them would have been a positive move.

Firstly, Nintendo need to acquire more developers. They need talent. They have had hugely successful partnerships with the likes of Rare, HAL and Retro Studios. But they need more partnerships like that. Some companies wouldn't fit with Nintendo - whilst I feel others would. Playtonic are definitely a company that would feel right under Nintendo's wing.

Secondly, there's no other company in gaming that have been producing games for as long at such consistently high quality as Nintendo. What's more, Nintendo are the masters of the platform genre. If anyone can help polish a game or help a team get their product to the next level or the gold standard - it's Nintendo. I think a small team like Playtonic would benefit hugely from the input Nintendo can provide and it could well lead to a much better product in the end.

Thirdly, this game feels like a Nintendo game. Certain games just feel at home on certain systems. This isn't just a retro-style game, its an N64 game. It's just so Nintendo/Rare it's unreal. I feel it would be at home on a Nintendo console - from the animal 'mascot' style protagonists, the bright colours and the silly names, it feels Nintendo. Rare had their best output when paired with Nintendo, their games fit Nintendo systems. I believe Playtonic have come up with a game that has that similar fit. Rare seemed to die when in the wrong hands. The same is true for other developers - I don't feel Bungie (despite their pedigree) would be at home with Nintendo. Master Chief wouldn't look at home on a Nintendo console as he does on Microsoft's console. This is obviously something that is highly subjective, certain things just go together and when I saw that mock-up of an N64 box for this game, it worked on every level, it just felt Nintendo.

We all agree Nintendo needs to buy more developers and while I think Playtonic (does anyone else keep wanting to write Platonic?) would be a good fit, I don't think that's a reason Nintendo should buy them. I genuinely think it would be better for Playtonic to go it alone. After all, they let Microsoft and there must be reasons for that. I'm sure they want the independent vibe right now and while Nintendo and Microsoft are very different companies, it would still mean they're owned by a company, which they might not even want.

I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt that they can polish it themselves. It depends what/who they would get from Nintendo if Nintendo was to help them out. Don't forget, some of the Playtonic guys have been making games for longer than some of us have been born. It's a difficult one really because you could argue the toss either side as there's no way of knowing how things might pan out differently really.

I can't help but think that this feels like an N64 game simply because it's the only way Rare would have released a game back in the day. Had they been multiplatform would we be saying this? Nintendo's games and Rare's games are both reflective of the environment of which they were created. While quirky weirdness is usually associated with Japan (for good reason), it's also steeped in British tradition. It's something America lacks, by and large. It's why Nintendo and Rare worked together so well, but it's not why Playtonic need Nintendo. I feel that YL feels Nintendo, but that's because we know no better. I want to see how it does on other consoles. Probably not so well, but as I said before, I feel multiplatformidity is most beneficial to Playtonic right now. By all means, get some cool Wii U exclusive stuff going on to honour the history, but don't be restricted by history.

And can we all agree that multiplatformidity is a great word I made up?

I suspect this will sell best on Wii U, in the same way that Rayman Legends did. It's too colourful and kiddy for all the kids playing COD.

I suspect this will sell best on Wii U, in the same way that Rayman Legends did. It's too colourful and kiddy for all the kids playing COD.

I've always thought the Rayman Legends selling best on WiiU thing was a myth.

According to vgchartz, it sold better on the PS3 and PS4 (separately) than it did on the WiiU.

Yeah I agree with this. I'd rather have it unorchestrated. It feels better

I'm sure that if enough people want it, there will be an option to choose.

I've always thought the Rayman Legends selling best on WiiU thing was a myth.

According to vgchartz, it sold better on the PS3 and PS4 (separately) than it did on the WiiU.

0.5 mil on Wii U to 0.54 on PS4, sounds like it's only just overtaken in pure numbers but install-base wise Rayman clearly appeals more to the Wii consumer.

Latest email says a £1,500,000 goal will allow them to use a full orchestra for the music, then they'll concentrate more on making a great game. Brilliant news :)

Personally I'm not that keen on orchestral music in video games, unless it's done superbly like in Mario Galaxy.

I think an orchestrated soundtrack will sound great. I love hearing orchestrated versions of classic tunes, not just from Banjo-Kazooie but Zelda, Mario and others too. The Nuts & Bolts soundtrack is fantastic.

More so, I think that Rare's biggest fans also remain Nintendo owners until this day.

I'm discretely hyped for this. The graphics seem quite nice, the camera is in the right place and the character movement seems promising. However, the test level seems to be as tile based as Mario 3D World :(

There's really no point judging the pre-alpha footage at all, that won't even be a map in the game, it's nothing more than concepts and engine testing.

Yup, that's likely the "playground" that they're giving to some backers.

The soundtrack to Nuts and Bolts is superb, up there with Mario Galaxy, I actually think it surpasses it in some says because it has the quirky Banjo edge so I'm really hoping that stretch goal is met.

And from what I've seen of the suggestive tweets from Rare lately and the general outcry for Banjo I'm 90% sure we'll be seeing an Xbox One Banjo Kazooie at E3 this year. With the release of Yooka-Laylee there could be some serious rivalry now between the two.

EDIT: and whilst we're posting music

Edited by Josh64

The soundtrack to Nuts and Bolts is superb, up there with Mario Galaxy, I actually think it surpasses it in some says because it has the quirky Banjo edge so I'm really hoping that stretch goal is met.

And from what I've seen of the suggestive tweets from Rare lately and the general outcry for Banjo I'm 90% sure we'll be seeing an Xbox One Banjo Kazooie at E3 this year. With the release of Yooka-Laylee there could be some serious rivalry now between the two.

EDIT: and whilst we're posting music

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/report-rare-just-showed-off-a-banjo-kazooie-game-with-kinect-controls

:(

They claim it was an "experience" just for that, but I doubt that