NEurope
Dog-amoto

Gears of War: "Don't-call-it-a-Remaster" Ultimate Edition

Can't wait for this to hit PC. And the news of that makes a small rumor of Halo MCC coming to PC feel a little more likely. And then all my reasons for an Xbone gone.

Gears 1 was always the most solid of the series. Never got to play online much though since I didn't have money for gold....or a 360. Loved it when I did play it the few times before the community died down. I still remember some tense wins, solo against 3 on a team and pulling a win out of thin air with the gnasher and lucky dodge rolling.

This was announced yesterday.

gearscollection%20hero.jpg?h=520&w=940

Today, on the eve of gamescom, Xbox and The Coalition are excited to announce that all fans who purchase Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, or the Xbox One Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Bundle, will be able to unlock the entire Gears collection via Xbox One Backward Compatibility. By playing Gears of War: Ultimate Edition on Xbox Live from Aug. 25 through Dec. 31, 2015, you’ll get access to Gears of War, Gears of War 2, Gears of War 3 and Gears of War: Judgment in Backward Compatibility when it launches this fall.

In Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, you’ll get the complete remastering of the original game – painstakingly reimagined from the ground up with stunning next-gen graphics, recaptured and rebuilt cinematics, new achievements and modernized gameplay for an even better experience. And don’t forget the new maps, modes and missions, early access to the Gears of War 4 multiplayer beta, new Achievements, improved haptic feedback and an additional difficulty level – it’s a must-have for every Gears fan and part of the greatest games lineup in Xbox history.

Insanely good deal, especially as the Ultimate Edition is a budget release.

This was announced yesterday.

Insanely good deal, especially as the Ultimate Edition is a budget release.

So are you getting it? Released here today! Great chance to get some multiplayer going and even those who still own the games on 360 could join in because of that great offer!

So are you getting it? Released here today! Great chance to get some multiplayer going and even those who still own the games on 360 could join in because of that great offer!

Yup. Bought my One today. Set it up and had a quick blast on Rare Replay. Looking forward to Friday. :yay:

Any chance of a thread title edit??

Can't wait to play this again. And with the other three games for free, there's gonna be a lot of chainsawing this weekend at my house. And once I've finished pruning the trees in my garden, I may play this game.

@Hero\-of\-Time I've seen you've managed to play a fair bit of this over the bank holiday weekend, what are your thoughts on the remaking of this classic? Worth the wait?

I'll hopefully be picking it up this week after a busy weekend!

@Hero\-of\-Time I've seen you've managed to play a fair bit of this over the bank holiday weekend, what are your thoughts on the remaking of this classic? Worth the wait?

I'll hopefully be picking it up this week after a busy weekend!

Yeah, i've enjoyed it. Played through the campaign and have started another run through on Insane with my nephew.

The online is a bit hit or miss though. The hitboxes are really messed up when using the shotgun. Sometimes you can walk up to a guy and shoot him point blank rank, only for him to turn around and one shot you.

The matchmaking is a bit broken at times. We spent ages the other night looking for players. I refuse to believe there wasn't a single person looking for a game that couldn't have been added to our lobby. This has happen a few times now.

Still, it's been fun to revisit the Gears universe and the online should keep me busy for a long while.

I'm pretty disappointed they didn't add a Horde mode. The online is a bit hit and miss for me as H.o.T says, so a Horde mode wouldve easily extended the life of this title. As it stands, once I've completed the story again on Insane and found all COG tags, there's not much left for me to hold my interest until we get the backwards compatibility of the later (and superior) titles.

And would it have hurt to include the Guardian mode from Gears 2? It was by far the best mode due to the Execution rules. Used to play the shit out of it back in the day. Assassination just doesn't cut it.

All maps have now been enabled for all game types. Guess everyone kicked off about some being exclusive to certain game types. Stupid decision and i'm glad they have sorted it so soon after launch.

I disagree with that. Certain modes and maps are more suited (I.e. Balanced) to each other. I'm fairly certain the original release had mode restricted maps.

If certain modes and maps work better together, then just play those modes on those particular maps. ::shrug:

It's good to at least have options. : peace:

I'll consider picking this up at some point, not desperate for it though.

They still need to sort Annex out. For some reason it's restricted to private matches. At least KOTH can be played and used for seriously, though.

Thinking about it, I can understand why Horde mode wasn't included as the enemies in this game are quite limited. There are no Clickers, Grinders, Maulers, Sires etc. So I kinda get that it'd be a bit boring fighting the same basic enemy over and over but I still wish they'd have included it with the newer enemies. It's not like it would affect canon or anything. You can play as Anya in multilayer and she wasn't a fighter in the first game.

Horde mode was an absolute thrill on 3, I guess will have to wait until BC kicks in and get a squad together on there! ;)

Picked this up yesterday and, with nothing planned for today, have managed to get some decent time in on it. Wow, so great to be back in the Gears universe! Finished up to the end of Act 2 in Campaign, and had a bash at some multiplayer too. Quite jarring going from 60fps to 30 on campaign, but it doesn't adversely effect it.

It's funny because I was playing through thinking "huh, looks like I remember it" and said as much to a friend, when I stumbled upon this article from Polygon:

http://www.polygon.com/xbox-one/2015/7/28/9044345/present-future-Gears-of-War-part-two (think I've linked to the second page here, if you read it start from the beginning, obviously :p )

This is a great piece on how they brought Ultimate Edition to life, the origins of Black Tusk/The Coalition, Rod Fergusson joining them and a few bits in Gears 4 too, really worth a read for any Gears fan :)

In it though Fergusson says how everyone just thinks "yeah, it's like I remember it", but the screens they put side by side, only then you realise just what a leap forward it is!

Glad to be back on Sera and in the Gears Universe again :)