NEurope
Cube

Guitar Hero Live

I loved this back in the day but...that day was so long ago now. :p

Not sure if there's a crowd for this.

Not sure if people are gonna jump back on the music game genre again.

It died big time. Wish there was new DJ hero game coming out instead though.

guitar-hero-live-controller.jpg?quality=65&strip=color&w=560&h=373

That's the new guitar.

Instead of having the five buttons placed side by side, there will instead be buttons buttons; three black and three white placed in two rows. Actually makes a bit of sense but I'm not sure if it's as intuitive as the original scheme.

I'm actually ready for a new Guitar Hero / Rock Band and advertising with a song by The Black Keys certainly helps! I'm guessing the instruments (or at least the guitar) won't be compatible with Rock Band 4 though, considering the new layout.

Well it's... certainly interesting to see them take a different approach with this one!

Was expecting it to be mostly the same as before...

Good on em to try something different here at least! Will make for an interesting battle between GH and RB this time. With one representing change and newness, while the other is a direct continuation of the past.

Well it's... certainly interesting to see them take a different approach with this one!

Was expecting it to be mostly the same as before...

Good on em to try something different here at least! Will make for an interesting battle between GH and RB this time. With one representing change and newness, while the other is a direct continuation of the past.

Is there a rock band game too, then?

Have we gone back in time? Is it 2007 again or something?

Is there a rock band game too, then?

Have we gone back in time? Is it 2007 again or something?

Yup! (Though RB doesn't seem to be Wii U bound...)

Rock Band 4 and Guitar Hero Live are going very different routes.

Rock Band 4 is carrying on with it's expansive library of songs (which they say will transfer to next gen... probably with a fee) while Guitar Hero Live is going for the visual aspect of things and a streaming library.

Guitar Hero Life seems more 'up to date' but I'm not particularly sure it's in a way that I want. Plus it requires a new plastic instrument. Do I really want another in my home? I'm not sure.

I'm not getting the negativity here, I think the direction this is going in is absolute genius! I'm definitely going to be picking this one up *for PS4* (as long as the tracklist is decent.)

I'm not getting the negativity here, I think the direction this is going in is absolute genius! I'm definitely going to be picking this one up *for PS4* (as long as the tracklist is decent.)

In fairness, it does look pretty cool. My initial reaction isn't that of enthusiasm because...I feel like the wave for this sort of thing has passed. It was awesome at the time, particularly when GH3 was out and Rock Band came onto the scene and you had people who would argue about which was the better game. GH3 was one of my most played Wii games and I loved it.

I dunno, maybe it'll surprise us and maybe there is a new audience of younger gamers out there who didn't play GH2/3, RB, etc and who would jump on something like this. The two options they've given us for the game (particularly the one with the music videos) are really interesting and it'll all be about drip-feeding extra content into the game and how they plan to do that.

In fairness, it does look pretty cool. My initial reaction isn't that of enthusiasm because...I feel like the wave for this sort of thing has passed. It was awesome at the time, particularly when GH3 was out and Rock Band came onto the scene and you had people who would argue about which was the better game. GH3 was one of my most played Wii games and I loved it.

I dunno, maybe it'll surprise us and maybe there is a new audience of younger gamers out there who didn't play GH2/3, RB, etc and who would jump on something like this. The two options they've given us for the game (particularly the one with the music videos) are really interesting and it'll all be about drip-feeding extra content into the game and how they plan to do that.

Fair point, the entire music genre of games did die off after the last GH/RB games. Although I do think there's a new generation of audience that this will appeal to. I do admit, it may be a bit early to get hyped, as we don't know exactly how they'll release the content, but things are definitely looking interesting!

Seeing as the game + the guitar will at least go for 99.99€ I'd say: Just get a cheap electric guitar and look for easy tabs. Much more fun.

Also...no backwards compatibility...so you have to buy all the songs again. :indeed:

Not sure if it will be successful on any platform

I invested so much into Rock Band last gen, I don't think I could do afford fiinancially or time wise for more music genre games.

I invested so much into Rock Band last gen, I don't think I could do afford fiinancially or time wise for more music genre games.

Well I guess if you get the new Rock Band then you should at least have all that back catalogue you paid for last gen.

I've never understood people saying to just get a real guitar. It's like saying buy a football instead of buying Fifa. Sure the real thing is more skillful, but the game has scores/challenges to beat, things to unlock and a sense of being a celebrity. The real thing just lets you play alone in a room and often sounds awful, whereas GH or RB lets you feel like you're playing the song perfectly, even if it is fake.

Back to the actual trailer: I'm not sure I like the live aspect of it. Recorded videos always remind me of the 90s FMV games and always feel tacky, which will be even worse in this since most bands

The more I watch that trailer, the more it makes me cringe. Everything from the pre-gig huddle to the girl lustfully looking at the player just seems really forced and awkward.

Even if I did like the live aspect, it's still largely irrelevant since no one will be looking at the backgrounds when the notes start coming down.

As for a streaming, I worry that it'll be a subscription service, which is an instant no for me.

I do love the GH and RB games, but it just seems like they're adding pointless things in an effort to add something new, which isn't really needed. All I really want is a game for the new generation of consoles and a music store to buy new tracks.

Well I guess if you get the new Rock Band then you should at least have all that back catalogue you paid for last gen.

Problem is, I only have a Wii U. All my content is on Xbox 360 and if I were to buy a current gen machine it would be PS4. But I don't see myself investing in one.

I've never understood people saying to just get a real guitar. It's like saying buy a football instead of buying Fifa. Sure the real thing is more skillful, but the game has scores/challenges to beat, things to unlock and a sense of being a celebrity.

Well, if you don't find the sense of accomplishment and coolness in being able to play a kickass song on a real electrical guitar then the piece of plastic definitely suits you better.

I've played loads of Guitar Hero and Rock Band but once I've learned how to play Hysteria by Muse on my guitar those games became incredibly boring.

Well, if you don't find the sense of accomplishment and coolness in being able to play a kickass song on a real electrical guitar then the piece of plastic definitely suits you better.

I've played loads of Guitar Hero and Rock Band but once I've learned how to play Hysteria by Muse on my guitar those games became incredibly boring.

Not everyone has the interest or the skill to start learning the real guitar so these type of games can just be a fun outlet. There is a really annoying snobbery from some people who play instruments towards stuff like this sometimes.

Didn't want to come across as a snob especially since I'm only able to play a couple of songs. :p I was initially just pointing out that you get more value out of the possible price point with a real guitar.

Edited by drahkon

I thought it was quite interesting to see games like Rock Band 4 and Rocksmith starting to bridge the gap by letting you use real instruments, I think there is room for both types though.

Games and software which teaches you how to play an instrument. : peace:

As for this new Guitar Hero? If it's not backwards compatible with old guitars then I'm unlikely to invest.

If Rock Band 4 will somehow work with my Midi Guitar - plus adaptor - AND lets me keep my song backlog then that'll be a sale most likely. :)

Oh, I get it, just not everyone wants to invest that much time in learning to play a real guitar. With the different difficulty settings on GH/RB, they can get instant gratification. If your only goal is to play guitar tabs along to songs, alone in your room, then GH/RB is a much quicker route to the same level of entertainment. If your aiming to actually do something with music, then of course a real guitar is the best way to go, but this game isn't aimed at that audience.

Plus there's the whole party element of it, which is almost impossible to replicate with real instruments unless you actually start a band. Good luck finding a place to play a real drum kit though.

I thought it was quite interesting to see games like Rock Band 4 and Rocksmith starting to bridge the gap by letting you use real instruments, I think there is room for both types though.

Rocksmith is awesome, although it was too similar to playing real tabs along with music, which can be done without spending £50 on a game. I might be missing the point though, as I wasn't exactly a beginner when I got the game.

I've been playing bass since I was around 15 and learned how to play guitar a few years after that. Imo, I don't think it's necessarily "learn a real instrument" instead of playing Guitar Hero or Rock Band because they don't really do the same things.

Guitar Hero is a game. For me, the fun was being able to get a group of friends over and see who could get the highest score or who could last the longest on a really hard song without getting booed off. Even though I was decent at bass and guitar, it wasn't a case of "shit, this game is too easy" or anything. It's fun, a great party game.

It's not really educational, imo. Sure, you can probably pick up some basic coordination from guitar hero and can then apply that to bass or guitar later, or even be at an advantage if you can already play, but it's main purpose is to just be a damn fun thing to play and for me it always was.

Playing a real instrument is awesome and it's one of the most rewarding things you can do. But there's something also rewarding about struggling with a song and then getting to the end of it or beating your friend's score. There's also a visual element because you're essentially reacting to things that happen on screen, especially with the battles, so...there's room for both.