NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Monster Hunter Stories (3DS 2016)

16 hours ago, Dcubed said:

The official site does make mention of Amiibo...

... but I don't think we're getting the actual Monster Hunter Stories Amiibo...

Bah! I was hoping they would bring them across. I guess if I want them then i'm going to have to import them. :(

Anyone else had a crack at the demo yet? I've only played around half an hour or so on it and i'm really liking what i've seen so far. Apparently the demo is quite meaty and lasts for around 6 hours if you do all the sidequests. Luckily all your data carries over to the full game and you get some extra goodies as well.

I was a little torn as to whether to keep the main character as he was or create my own avatar. Usually if a game does already have a main character I tend to just leave it as that. I decided to do away with Lute and his look and create my own person instead.

I'm looking forward to continuing the demo on my lunch break. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Anyone else had a crack at the demo yet? I've only played around half an hour or so on it and i'm really liking what i've seen so far. Apparently the demo is quite meaty and lasts for around 6 hours if you do all the sidequests. Luckily all your data carries over to the full game and you get some extra goodies as well.

I was a little torn as to whether to keep the main character as he was or create my own avatar. Usually if a game does already have a main character I tend to just leave it as that. I decided to do away with Lute and his look and create my own person instead.

I'm looking forward to continuing the demo on my lunch break. 

Saw yesterday there was a demo for it, and the art style really appeals to me so I'l definitely give it a go.

Anyone else playing the demo? I'm really enjoying it! :D

The battle system is pretty simple, but fun.  Predicting what kinds of moves monsters are gonna use is good fun and there seems to be some sort of combo system that lets you deal more damage by doing certain moves in a certain order that I haven't quite figured out yet (plus this is just the very beginning of the game; like I mentioned in my quick preview on the main site, I'm sure they'll add more wrinkles to the battles as you go on).  I like how you interact with the world as well, it's very Monster Hunter esc; they've done a great job at translating MH's world traversal into an RPG here! (Actually reminds me a lot of Okami in many ways) and the areas are pretty big, with lots of places to explore.  I really like it, out-of-battle gameplay here feels more interactive than your typical RPG.

The story seems pretty simple, but rather charming...

Spoiler

(though it's pretty hilarious the game plays off on this guy's mum getting killed as this big tragedy before we even see her, way to go and make her likeable before killing her :laughing: )

... I'm actually kinda growing on the characters too.  They're all pretty likeable (and even the weird looking feline isn't as bad as I thought he would be).  Also baby Rathalos is so cute it hurts (Actually, all of the monsters are pretty damn squee :heart:).  Hilariously, you actually don't create your own character right away, but in the middle of a story sequence, meaning that your main character suddenly changes their physical appearance (and possibly gender) in the middle of a cutscene and nobody bats an eyelid :laughing: 

Music is outstanding as well! I simply love the main theme! And the rest of the music is already getting pretty catchy.  The production values are pretty superb overall; you can really tell that it had a substantial budget behind it, before it underperformed in Japan at least.

Yeah, seems like a really good time overall.  Looks like it could end up being one of the 3DS' best RPGs.  It's a real shame that it's probably gonna bomb in sales, because the game itself seems pretty great.  I'm really glad to see it get localised; it defintely helps to soften the blow of Capcom's Double Cross and it's a lovely addition to the 3DS' late life.

The demo is very substantial BTW.  It's the entire begining portion of the game and you can carry on from where you left off when you get the full game (I hear it's around 4-6 hours long!).  Don't sleep on it people!

Edited by Dcubed

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Anyone else playing the demo? I'm really enjoying it! :D

The demo is very substantial BTW.  It's the entire begining portion of the game and you can carry on from where you left off when you get the full game (I hear it's around 4-6 hours long!).  Don't sleep on it people!

Did you just decide not read anything I posted this morning? :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Did you just decide not read anything I posted this morning? :D

I did kinda just jump in... expecting to see that nobody else was playing it... (what, with the total lack of buzz it's getting).

Glad to see that it's not totally being ignored here though :)

Edited by Dcubed

I'm playing it too.  I've been playing a lot of demos on 3DS recently, but unfortunately it's harder to convince me to buy the full game as the hardware ages.  Bit of a shame really, as I would have bought a lot of this software in the earlier days.

Anyway, the game seems very good.  Having a mount is something genuinely different to most RPGs.  I like the way you can build up rapport (I forget the term used in the game) in battles, then mount your monster and access better attacks that way.  It adds a lot of strategy and, though not exactly the same, reminds me of games like Panzer Dragoon Saga or Skies of Arcadia where there was a bit more to it than a normal RPG.

My big gripe is the graphics - they're just not smooth or sharp.  Though I like the art style, the graphics themselves push the 3DS too much.

• Like 3

What a lovely game, really enjoyed the demo so far!
I love the character designs and the vibrant world, such good lucking visuals on such limited hardware!
The battle system is alot of fun too, I'm normally not a huge fan of turn-based battles, but these are very quick and full of action.

It's hard to go back to the 3DS after being spoiled with the Switch screen though.
I really hope we end up getting some big 3rd party support on the Switch rather soon.

• Like 2

I put some more time into the demo last night. I managed to get another monster on my team and bought and upgraded some new weapons and armour. I seen a Kut-Ku kicking around the area and decided to fight it with my beginner gear. Yeah, that didn't go well. I ended up losing a life. I need to have another stab at him now that i've got better gear.

This is out on Friday. I take it i'll be the only one on here buying and playing it? :p I went and preordered with the Nintendo UK store in order to get the DLC beasties.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

This is out on Friday. I take it i'll be the only one on here buying and playing it? :p I went and preordered with the Nintendo UK store in order to get the DLC beasties.

I really like everything this game is doing, and if the Switch wasn't a thing this would be a must buy.  However, I've moved on, and there's no turning back for me baby!  With regret, though.

Just now, londragon said:

I really like everything this game is doing, and if the Switch wasn't a thing this would be a must buy.  However, I've moved on, and there's no turning back for me baby!  With regret, though.

Not having a go at you or anything but I find this mentality very bizarre. It's something I have seen both on here and on other gaming sites. Just because a new console comes out doesn't make older ones irrelevant, especially something like the 3DS which is having a killer year and still has games like this, Metroid and Pokemon on the horizon. I just find it baffling that gamers are willing to pass up on potentially fantastic games just because they've got a relatively new toy. ::shrug:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Not having a go at you or anything but I find this mentality very bizarre. It's something I have seen both on here and on other gaming sites. Just because a new console comes out doesn't make older ones irrelevant, especially something like the 3DS which is having a killer year and still has games like this, Metroid and Pokemon on the horizon. I just find it baffling that gamers are willing to pass up on potentially fantastic games just because they've got a relatively new toy. ::shrug:

Totally agree with this. Why would Nintendo abandon the 3DS just because the Switch launched? The 3DS potentially had another year in it at least.

Personally, I'm still enjoying my 3DS more than my Switch at the moment.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It certainly doesn't make the 3DS irrelevant, but I see it as a lack of time.  I have very limited periods that I can fit gaming into.  At the moment with Mario + Rabbids and Splatton 2, a few sessions of ARMS, and MK8 online and that's all my allotted time.  I'd rather play those games at this particular time.  If somewhere down the line, I tire of all those, then maybe I'd purchase Metroid on the 3DS, but that is looking very unlikely for the foreseeable future.  Plus I do like my new toy, and it goes everywhere I do.  My 3DS has passed onto my son's capable hands who is using it for BoxBoy at the moment.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, londragon said:

It certainly doesn't make the 3DS irrelevant, but I see it as a lack of time.  I have very limited periods that I can fit gaming into.  At the moment with Mario + Rabbids and Splatton 2, a few sessions of ARMS, and MK8 online and that's all my allotted time.  I'd rather play those games at this particular time.  If somewhere down the line, I tire of all those, then maybe I'd purchase Metroid on the 3DS, but that is looking very unlikely for the foreseeable future.  Plus I do like my new toy, and it goes everywhere I do.  My 3DS has passed onto my son's capable hands who is using it for BoxBoy at the moment.

Fair play. 

15 minutes ago, Ike said:

Personally, I'm still enjoying my 3DS more than my Switch at the moment.

Yeah, same for me. I think i've easily put more hours into my 3DS this year than I have my Switch. Miitopia, Dragon Ball Fusions, Hey! Pikmin, Kirby Blowout Blast, Team Kirby Clash Deluxe, Pokemon Moon....the list goes on. It looks to continue as well, what with the games like Mario & Luigi, Metroid, Monster Hunter and Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon and Pokemon Gold/Silver all releasing very shortly, too. It's been a great year for the 3DS owner.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm buying it! I've got some time off next week so hopefully I'll even get to play it soon but how long will the demo take me do you reckon? Three hours? Seeing as it's the start of the game, it would make sense for me to put in a bit of time soon I guess. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S.C.G said:

I'm buying it! I've got some time off next week so hopefully I'll even get to play it soon but how long will the demo take me do you reckon? Three hours? Seeing as it's the start of the game, it would make sense for me to put in a bit of time soon I guess. :)

Probably closer to 4-5 hours.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I put some more time into the demo last night. I managed to get another monster on my team and bought and upgraded some new weapons and armour. I seen a Kut-Ku kicking around the area and decided to fight it with my beginner gear. Yeah, that didn't go well. I ended up losing a life. I need to have another stab at him now that i've got better gear.

Definitely not! I can't wait for it! I loved the demo to bits! It definitely feels like a cut above all of the other 3DS RPGs out there and I reckon has the potential to be something really special.  Outside of the Dragon Quests, all of the other traditional styled (i.e, non strategy RPGs and non Mario RPGs) on 3DS have left me feeling a bit cold, but this one just seems to hit all the right notes for me! Even looking at it as an RPG in its own right and not as a Monster Hunter game, it really looks to be a great one!

5 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Fair play. 

Yeah, same for me. I think i've easily put more hours into my 3DS this year than I have my Switch. Miitopia, Dragon Ball Fusions, Hey! Pikmin, Kirby Blowout Blast, Team Kirby Clash Deluxe, Pokemon Moon....the list goes on. It looks to continue as well, what with the games like Mario & Luigi, Metroid, Monster Hunter and Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon and Pokemon Gold/Silver all releasing very shortly, too. It's been a great year for the 3DS owner.

Yeah, for sure.  I'd even say that 2017 has actually been better than 2016 for 3DS! Couldn't really ask for a better sendoff really!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Nice to see a bunch of free DLC is already available for the game. Needless to say I downloaded it all. :D

I noticed you were also playing it, Dcubed. You enjoying it so far?

My main beastie of choice at the moment is a Blue Kut-Ku. He can take quite a pounding and dish out a fair bit of damage, as well.

Yeah, I'm loving it so far! It's adding quite a few nice wrinkles to the gameplay as you go along too (like the cold areas giving you a high chance of missing turns unless you use this game's equivalent of the hot drink).  I'm currently rocking a team of a Velocidrome, Red Khezu, Arzuros, Aptonoth and Yian Kut-Ku.  All of them are hilariously cute!

I'm really impressed at how they've translated the Monster Hunter series characteristics into RPG mechanics.  It's really well done! It all works so well and they've done a great job of making the world feel interactive and alive! Great stuff! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2

The Anime is getting localised into English! (Actually didn't think they'd bother!)

Episode 1 is above :D 

• Thanks 1

@Dcubed and I gave the multiplayer a go this morning. It's amazingly in depth and goes to show how well thought out the battle system in this game is. You can download special rulesets to play with. (Sorry Sun/Moon, you totally ripped off this game with that) It's also very nice in that you don't really have to win to benefit, as both players get the same amount of egg fragments and their rank goes up.

My favourite was the "Herbivores" only ruleset, we both only just got to the Hunter Town, so it ended up as a big Aptonoth fight.

I'm loving the game so far, it's incredibly referential to the MonHun fanbase (Someone compared a Deviljho to a pickle! What next? A Seregios called Steve?) and every monster feels unique, just like Pokemon. OK, except for the sub-species, but that's to be expected.

Highlights for me so far are getting absolutely destroyed by a Pink Rathian I was nowhere near ready for. Managing to complete a DLC quest to fight Tigrex by the skin of my teeth, and going into a den, trying to get a Gypceros egg, but accidently bringing back a bloody Diablos! Which I can't use yet because it's rarity 4... What a tease!

This is an amazing RPG, I was always a bit worried it'd feel clumsy, but Capcom knocked it out of the park. It's an utter crime this game flopped. Even in Japan.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 2

On 05/09/2017 at 2:56 PM, S.C.G said:

So yeah... maybe a couple of hours or so spent on the demo, I don't even know if there's an "end" to it... (is there?) I totally bought the game anyway...

...but it's still sealed, because Metroid arrived so you can blame Samus returning as my reason for not progressing with Monster Hunter Stories. :p

And that's a damn good reason too I reckon!

Anyway, it's the next 3DS game I'll play because from what I did get to sample from the demo (so far) I've enjoyed a lot so I definitely won't let this game become a "Quest Failed" it's just that I'm clearly not prepared for it yet, but I will be... in time. :D

* ^ * This game...just...this game...Just....Just...yes...So much fun...I can see A LOT of hours getting lost into this! 
<3 Go Go rider ranger!

WVW69kpMVqcMH_TSig

• Like 1

@Ugh first aid's gone around looking awesome and no doubt fighting giant monsters (Probably with a Megazord or something). Meanwhile, I'm stuck with...

Azdoji5.jpg

No, that expression never changes.

• Haha 2

So, I saw the credits last night. I'll give my thoughts in the Gaming Diary thread soon, but this needs to be said...

Brachy Blow is the greatest thing the Monster Hunter series has ever done. Caught me completely off-guard. Masterful!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 2

Sign in to follow this