NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Monster Hunter Stories (3DS 2016)

Loving the art style that is being used here. It's cute, colourful graphics + Monster Hunter + RPG. This is so my kind of thing. :D

Looks good, but the trailer tells us nothing about how it actually plays...

Certainly interesting. Going with this art style is a good choice if they're doing it on the 3DS. I love the machine to death, but it doesn't handle the realism that comes with standard Monster Hunter so well. Look at Yo-kai Watch...it goes with a similar style and looks lovely.

Certainly interesting. Going with this art style is a good choice if they're doing it on the 3DS. I love the machine to death, but it doesn't handle the realism that comes with standard Monster Hunter so well. Look at Yo-kai Watch...it goes with a similar style and looks lovely.

Totally agree. I love MH to bits but I think, at times, it looks rough as old boots on the 3DS.

Nice surprise. :) Loved the ending to that trailer:

Quality. :grin:

Not sure about the cat design though, doesn't look as cute as in previous games. :blank: They should have stuck with this style:

Jpl6KYu.gif

Anyway, interested to see more of this game.

Totally agree. I love MH to bits but I think, at times, it looks rough as old boots on the 3DS.

MH4 looks great on the New 3DS :D

Looks good, but the trailer tells us nothing about how it actually plays...

This. The Wii U could have in game graphics like that. But alas!

This game does looks great, and surely if this was a cartoon kids would love it? Figures of all the monsters? Seems ripe.

I can't believe the ones stealing the babies are the good guys.

Hey. They're probably hungry and want some scrambbled eggs.

7813.gif

Which I'm off to make for myself. :)

A Monster Hunter RPG, announced out of nowhere, with an excellent new visual style as well?

Sold! :D

This. The Wii U could have in game graphics like that. But alas!

The visuals are nothing that the 3DS can't handle. It's obviously just 3DS assets being run in a higher resolution for this trailer, so that's how the game will probably look like - just not as high resolution (but on the actual 3DS screen, it won't look far off really).

Capcom did the same thing with the Ace Attorney 5/Grand Ace Attorney trailers. And AA5 ended up looking just like the trailer on the actual console, just in 3DS resolution.

Well it's hard to say how this will play, but I did like that trailer alot! The visual style looks great and should be a good match for the (new?) 3DS!

New details finally!

http://gematsu.com/2015/09/monster-hunter-stories-first-details-screenshots

Story Details: See link.

■ Character Bios: See link.

■ Locations: See link.

■ Battle System

Battles are turn-based. You’ll fight using “Power,” “Technique,” and “Speed” command options.

Monsters have habits so if you pay attention and read their movements, you can tell what will be advantageous in battle.

“Otomon,” friendly monsters that Riders can deepen their bonds with, have their own minds and will act at their own will. If the condition calls for it, the Rider and monster can perform a cooperation attack.

A Rider’s attack changes based on the equipped weapon. Large swords have the “Nagiharai” special skill, one-handed swords have the “Shield Bash” special skill, and so on.

Once riders build a good enough bond with their monsters, they an use the “Ride On” technique to dramatically increase their ability. Using the Kizuna Stone, you’ll be able to use stronger “Bond Techniques,” which includes different techniques depending on the monster.

■ Otomon Eggs

You can find monster eggs on the field and bring them back to the village to raise them. What kind of monsters will hatch depends on the location you find them.

■ Interview Tidbits

The following are tidbits from the interview in this week’s Weekly Famitsu:

Since there are a lot of players that have an interest in the world of Monster Hunter, we were looking into a game in the the RPG genre that takes advantage of the setting for about five or six years. Actual development started two years ago.

There are a lot of people who love monsters, so for this game we put the spotlight on monsters.

I want players of all ages to play this game. We made the visuals and world setting as familiar as possible, and we’re aware the story is not too serious.

The “Power,” “Technique,” and “Speed” command-based battles are not only games of luck. For example, the Velociprey likes to speed, etc. There are different habits for each monster. By continuously getting into battle, you’ll learn their habits.

The hero can have a party with multiple monsters. In a battle, he can fight together with one of them. It’s also possible to change which monster you are partnered with in battle.

The hero participates in battle but largely in a support role. The core attacks are dished out by the Otomon.

Otomon have their own particular abilities, and there are cases when you can go places you normally can’t by making use of them.

New areas previously not seen in the series will be depicted in this game.

Riders form bonds with monsters, while Hunters hunt monsters. From the perspective of these opposing groups, the game will depict a deep story about the world of Monster Hunter.

The way that the Battle system is described actually reminds me quite a bit of Panzer Dragoon Saga! Which is rad :D

Monhan-Stories_09-02-15_Charas_001.png

Main boy character looks so much like Billy Hatcher that it hurts (Girl looks like she's been ripped out of Harvest Moon, so she's way cooler by default).

Monhan-Stories_09-02-15_Charas_002.png

This dodgy looking feline is your sidekick character who follows you around.

Monhan-Stories_09-02-15_Charas_003.png

He's your mentor and about 100000 times cooler than you will ever be.

Monhan-Stories_09-02-15_Charas_004.png

She's your she rival, but I swear that she's not Tron Bonne! Really!

Monhan-Stories_09-02-15_Charas_005.png

He's your he rival... apparently :p Well I suppose he does look suspiciously like Zelos from Tales of Symphonia... just with a flatter chest.

Monhan-Stories_09-02-15_Charas_006.png

He's the village chief and thus he will be completely unhelpful and a lover of endless puns, mostly at your expense.

Monhan-Stories_09-02-15_Charas_007.png

This is a normal feline! Slightly less creepy looking than your companion, thank God, if only slightly ;)

And some screens!

Monhan-Stories_09-02-15_Battle_001.jpg

I swear that it's not Pokemon

Monhan-Stories_09-02-15_Battle_002.jpg

Making good use of his Yokai Watch/V-Watch/Mega Ring here

Monhan-Stories_09-02-15_Otomon-Eggs_001.jpg

REALLY trying to channel his Billy Hatcher origins here...

img_tab01j2k1x.png

img_tab02oaj9i.png

Prospects for awesome... Pretty dang high! :)

Edited by Dcubed

I am so hyped that it's turn-based!

Nothing wrong with Old-fashioned Monster Hunter. But I'm very relieved that this will be it's own experience.

Turn-based means I drop all interest in it now.

Maybe you can still hammer the attack button and win in their turnbased system too. :wink:

Maybe you can still hammer the attack button and win in their turnbased system too. :wink:

"Hammer the attack button" is not Monster Hunter!

"Hammer the attack button" is not Monster Hunter!

Lynch him! LYNCH HIM! He knows nothing of the insane amount of skill needed to be good in that game!

Man, the CG version of the main boy character looks even more like Billy Hatcher! :laughing:

Looks great, but I wish they'd just show us some un-cut gameplay already!

Sign in to follow this