NEurope
Wii

Nintendo's Plans for DLC and Microtransactions Point to Changed Priorities

So the Splatoon stuff as been talked about in EDGE magazine. Each Amiibo contains 15 challenges/missions. So that's 45 challenges/missions that are essentially locked out by not having the figures. That seems like quite a substantial amount of stuff to be locked on to the disc already.

No ones mentioning Mario Golf which also had incredible DLC.

Amiibo is so tricky isn't it, people are talking about it not offering enough for them to get involved with the amiibo train, but then if it was substantial then people would complain they're locking good stuff. Personally, I'm happy with all these mini uses. In fact, amigo is probably better than I ever thought it was going to be.

Cut their free to play mobile tactics and I'll be happy with everything!!!

This is a very good point. With this kind of stuff I think Nintendo will always be subject to some form of criticism.

I have a couple of amiibo given to me as gifts. I have no interest in collecting anymore. On this basis I would be annoyed if substantial content could only be unlocked if I had a specific amiibo. I understand and support them adding a little extra like in Smash Bros but to add substantially to the game is just wrong.

The figurines are expensive and also in short supply. This independent game store in Sheffield had a Rosalina one in for 70 quid! What the fuck!?

I both agree and disagree with it.

Nintendo are doing DLC right. You just have to look at Mario Golf, MK8 and Hyrule Warriors for that, among others. Yeah, the costumes are a bit off, but that's fine. You don't need them. Characters I'm fine with being ~£3, too. A lot of work goes into them to balance, a lot more than people anticipate, and so forth so it's good for them to be paid for their work.

amiibo is a bit trickier. If you only get them for one game, then yeah it's expensive "on-disc DLC", and that does suck. However, the fantastic thing about amiibo is that these figures work across many Nintendo titles. Practically every amiibo is usable in more titles than just Super Smash Bros., and I hope the same is true with Splatoon amiibo. There's something in a game coming soon that makes use of practically every amiibo, too. When you spread it around all the games that support it, if you're a Nintendo fan who buys most of their games, you get great value for money. If they work in just one game, though, it is a kick in the teeth. That said, almost all the amiibo features are cute little extras or features that don't really impact the game much. Though Splatoon amiibo are said to hide 45 challenges, it seems they're just bastardisations of existing ones. Plus, as @dazzybee said, you have two sides to this coin. People complain amiibo don't do enough to warrant the cost, but when it does, as with Splatoon and Codename STEAM, people complain they've locked out content.

The F2P stuff is where it gets a bit weird, but that's because F2P is a horrific practice. That said, I think Nintendo is getting it right...mostly. Their games are fully playable for free. It's not pay to win, and that's good. I know many who have 100%'d Pokémon Shuffle without spending a single penny. Steel Diver is free to start, but you can pay to get the rest of the game. Rusty's Real Deal Baseball has you able to haggle prices down for each mini-game and Pokémon Rumble World limits you so you cannot spend more than £26 ever. Once you hit that, you can no longer spend money on it, but like Shuffle is playable and completeable on its own.

Now, I'm not a fan of free to play, but what they've done with Pokémon Rumble World, and a lesser extent Shuffle, has given me hope that they're not here to fleece us.

Edited by Serebii

Though Splatoon amiibo are said to hide 45 challenges, it seems they're just bastardisations of existing ones.

It's still additional levels that are already on the disc and that are locked until a fee is paid though. It's honestly something I thought Nintendo would never do.

And plus the 15 items also locked away. Depending on how you go about buying the Splatoon amiibo that's potentially £30-£45 extra on top of the game.

And that's also assuming you can find all 3 to buy. Otherwise how do you get the DLC?

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

It's still additional levels that are already on the disc and that are locked until a fee is paid though. It's honestly something I thought Nintendo would never do.

Yeah, as I said, it's tricky.

What I wish they would do is something that's either only possible with amiibo, like the Smash or Mario Party support, or something that's completely ridiculous and wouldn't be done outside of it, like Mario Kart 8

Edited by Serebii

I really hope they don't unveil any amiibo support for Mario Kart that requires an amiibo to unlock. Nothing substantial anyway. The DLC for that game is fine - I'd happily pay another tenner for more tracks/racers, but I don't want a figurine.

I really hope they don't unveil any amiibo support for Mario Kart that requires an amiibo to unlock. Nothing substantial anyway. The DLC for that game is fine - I'd happily pay another tenner for more tracks/racers, but I don't want a figurine.

The only Amiibo support for that are the new costumes they unlock. I think that is how it will remain as well.

The only Amiibo support for that are the new costumes they unlock. I think that is how it will remain as well.

Oh yeah, that's just for the Mii characters isn't it? Not really bothered about that but still, would like the option to buy those in one, quick online transaction without scanning Amiibos like I'm working on a till in Tesco.

Well articulated, but I don't agree with much of it. I can understsnd the fear of all the dlc, amiibo and freemium stuff, but personally I embrace it. How is it s bad thing to get more characters/levels/courses etc in games you love? I'm delighted about mario kart dlc and want even more, I think the strategy is amazing and pleased I get more value out of these games.

As for haven't done anytning amazing. Obviously subjective, but is Wii sports not a real moment in gaming? The motion controls in skyward sword? The sheer majesty and genius in mario Galaxy? Even something like splatoon, shaking up a genre like it is.

Nintendo are in struggling mode. The whole industry is figuring itself out - it's audience, it's distribution, it's pricing. It's an experimental phase, and maybe Nintendo are holding back a little for the next hardware. But either way, I personally still find it exciting.

All very true. TBH though, I find these times to be more worrisome than exciting though...

It feels like the good ol' days are coming to an end... I'm just hoping that Nintendo can hang on for dear life though as the world has changed around them and that they don't give up on what they want to do...

All very true. TBH though, I find these times to be more worrisome than exciting though...

It feels like the good ol' days are coming to an end... I'm just hoping that Nintendo can hang on for dear life though as the world has changed around them and that they don't give up on what they want to do...

To be honest, I think they have to change and adapt, especially when it comes to DLC. It's a good way to had legs to your games and can help fend off the dry spells during a release schedule. There's far too much money to be had not to do it.

They've shown they can do it really well with Mario Kart/Golf and Hyeule Warriors and, outside of the Amiibo stuff, I imagine Splatoon will have a good DLC/Season Pass plan as well.

I think with games that do have substantial DLC behind amiibo then maybe this becomes paid for for everyone else. Just the big stuff. But free for amiibo users. That way every can have it, but also amiibo users will feel like they're getting a bargain as there's a price on the value it's offering.

Sat if the splatoon mission packs came out at £5 or whatever, then suddenly having the amiibo may feel like a bigger bargain.

Think of it like this. Amiibo are giving Nintendo a new revenue stream. Using this, they will get more money and tied with mobile and QoL, will help Nintendo compete in the home console race again.

To be honest, I think they have to change and adapt, especially when it comes to DLC. It's a good way to had legs to your games and can help fend off the dry spells during a release schedule. There's far too much money to be had not to do it.

They've shown they can do it really well with Mario Kart/Golf and Hyeule Warriors and, outside of the Amiibo stuff, I imagine Splatoon will have a good DLC/Season Pass plan as well.

Yeah, I have no doubt about that. It's the mobile initiative that I'm really worried about though...

I know that they've always said that they wanted to use it as a way of promoting their games/consoles/IP and a way of trying to convert mobile users to their consoles (and they've always been consistent about that up until this point in time), but I'm still really very worried about it. We've all seen what mobile has done to every other Japanese developer/publisher... (just look at the latest Level 5 Vision conference! What they're doing to Layton and Fantasy Life is disgusting...)

The thought of that happening to Nintendo would basically mean that gaming is virtually at an end for me (outside of independent games and the very very rare retail 3rd party title that isn't an AAA quasi-interactive movie or a microtransaction/skinner box hell). I like to believe that they wouldn't give in to the pressure, but times are very very hard for them right now...

I think with games that do have substantial DLC behind amiibo then maybe this becomes paid for for everyone else. Just the big stuff. But free for amiibo users. That way every can have it, but also amiibo users will feel like they're getting a bargain as there's a price on the value it's offering.

Sat if the splatoon mission packs came out at £5 or whatever, then suddenly having the amiibo may feel like a bigger bargain.

That's actually not a bad idea! At least then people who can't get the Amiibos would still have an option at their disposal... (or at least until they get the Amiibo cards out already...) Even though it's still basically on-disc DLC.

Edited by Dcubed

I think before we get too hot under the collar about the Splatoon we need to find out what these challenges are. If they are just small remixes of already existing challenges, for example there is a challenge of shoot 150 blue squids, and the Amiibo unlocks shoot 150 orange squids, I don't really care.

Now if each Amiibo unlocked 15 extra missions or full levels or maps, that would be different.

I think before we get too hot under the collar about the Splatoon we need to find out what these challenges are. If they are just small remixes of already existing challenges, for example there is a challenge of shoot 150 blue squids, and the Amiibo unlocks shoot 150 orange squids, I don't really care.

Now if each Amiibo unlocked 15 extra missions or full levels or maps, that would be different.

They just modify the existing singleplayer stages slightly, i.e. instead of going through a stage with the standard ink gun, after scanning an amiibo you'd play the same stage again but with a different weapon.

They just modify the existing singleplayer stages slightly, i.e. instead of going through a stage with the standard ink gun, after scanning an amiibo you'd play the same stage again but with a different weapon.

Or they'll be bonus stages where you've to save young inklings before adult octarian strangers get a chance to talk to them. And then they'll do it in reverse where you've to save adult inklings before they're verbally abused by the kid octarians telling them life scarring things like 'You're crap. Go away'.

Yeah, that's what I'm expecting as well. I'm don't think it'll really end up being substantial, but it'll be a neat extra for those who have the Amiibo - pretty much like everything else with them so far (Mario Party 10's Amiibo Party and Smash Bros 4 being the big exceptions, but those are sensible choices because they're needed to save your tokens/fighter AI onto).