NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ronnie

Affordable Space Adventures (9 April)

Surprised not to see a thread on this game? I played it at EGX last year, played really well. Seemed a sort of metroidvania puzzle adventure game. It's also a game that's made specifically with the Wii U gamepad in mind, so deserves credit for that.

affordable-space-adventures-2-1.jpg

Some reviews out today (shamelessly stolen from GAF)...

Gamereactor eu 8/10

We've done things and reached places with this old banger that you could never imagine, and we will get back on our beloved Small Craft in a few weeks and return to this most unique of adventures so we can enjoy it once again. If you like artistic and ingenious games, this is one you don't want to miss.

Destructoid 9/10

Affordable Space Adventures is a game that can only work on the Wii U. Its two-screen experience is exactly what the system was designed for and the result is a unique breath of fresh air that might actually force player to hold that breath in certain situations. The multiplayer doesn't pan out too well and there were some physics glitches, but this is a game that Wii U owners need to get their hands on.

Nintendoeverything “thumbs up”

Affordable Space Adventures isn’t the best puzzle game on the Wii U, but it’s an intriguing experiment that’s worth checking out. It lacks the seemingly endless content of Pushmo World, the story of The Swapper and the production values of Captain Toad, but what it does have is a brilliant control scheme that makes use of the GamePad in creative ways. Though the journey is brief and linear, it’s packed with brilliant puzzles that push players to think creatively in figuring out how to best use the range of tools at their disposal. If you’re after a showcase for the Wii U GamePad, this is it.

Bitparade 8/10

Better still, the laughter which accompanies acts of incompetence among your space team becomes yet another unique experience which Affordable Space Adventures thrives on. Piloting a spaceship has rarely felt this engaging.

hobbyconsolas 9/10

Afordable Space Adventures is one of the best Wii U showcases. It uses the Wii U Gamepad as no other game has done before and it offers a bunch of intelligent puzzles and situations that will force you to think (and use all the spacecraft abilities) before act. It also offers a great atmosphere, light effects and a very, very enjoyable local multiplayer.

Nintendolife 8/10

Affordable Space Adventures is a unique game that can only conceivably work this well on the Wii U, though the 3DS could be a decent alternative in future. It not only utilises the GamePad, but makes it integral to the experience, while tackling it solo or with others is equally rewarding. There's evident devotion to small details and quality from the developers, and though it's over relatively soon we wouldn't have missed this adventure for the world. There's nothing else quite like this out there, and it's certainly a trip worth taking.

Nintendo World Report 8/10

Affordable Space Adventures is a brilliant ride from beginning to end. However, the game can understandably be overwhelming for the solo player and it can cause a lot of stress while playing through the game. With a team, though, you can remain calm and discuss your options on what to do next. The game is long enough without overstaying its welcome and there are plenty of interesting environments and obstacles to check out (and avoid, as the situation dictates). There are a few puzzles that I could live without, but most of them are solid in this linear but imaginative space trek. I can't ask really for more!

Can't wait! Been looking forward to this since last E3.

Thanks for making this thread. Impressions seem to be overwhelmingly positive, so I'm definitely gonna get on this.

It looks so good and the real use of the Wii U Gamepad should be commended. I really hope it makes the developers enough money for it to have been worth doing it for the Wii U.

I really think the real genius is in multiplayer. Started playing through in single player and it wasn't as amazing. Still great though.

I've just finished it today for a review. It's really good but Metroidvania, no. It's a puzzle game through and through, albeit a different one. The puzzles are based on altering your ship so it makes less sound, or outputs less heat and such. It's quite well-implemented.

Multriplayer is really good as well, although the third player controlling only the scanner and flares might be a bit bored by that alone.

Even though the price is higher than normal eShop-games, consider it if you like clever puzzles and physics-based games!

It's really good but Metroidvania, no. It's a puzzle game through and through, albeit a different one.

Fair enough I just assumed there was one giant cave system to explore area by area.

Well, sort of. There are many disconnected levels that together in some sense form a giant cave but you don't gain anything by going back. There are no secrets or things to collect. You gain your abilities by reaching certain levels.

The guy in red is spot on most of the time there. If you're in doubt about getting the game, listen to him!

Affordable Space Adventures: Tactical Space Stealth Action - IGN Plays

Played 15 levels of this last night, really enjoying it. Some nice puzzles, the atmosphere is great and the visuals are lovely. Makes perfect use of the Gamepad too. I really hope it sells well.

This is still a really good single-player game I take it?

For some reason I seemed to get the idea from impressions that you'll only get the most out of it from multiplayer which seems ludicrous to me as from the screens and the video footage I always has it down as an enjoyable single player game based around solitude mixed with exploration.

It's a very good game, full stop. But I really do think it's so much better in multiplayer. Shouldn't put you off though.

This is still a really good single-player game I take it?

For some reason I seemed to get the idea from impressions that you'll only get the most out of it from multiplayer which seems ludicrous to me as from the screens and the video footage I always has it down as an enjoyable single player game based around solitude mixed with exploration.

This is a very good, thorough and honest review.

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/affordable-space-adventures-review/#

This is a very good, thorough and honest review.

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/affordable-space-adventures-review/#

"The Ugly: When your co-op partner won’t stop honking the horn. The lease only has my name on it, Chris. Remember that."

Yeah, top notch reporting there.

What makes this review any better than all the others? Is it because you don't agree with this game and so picked one of the worst reviews? How do you know it's honest, you haven't played it! It's averaging 83 on Metacritic, and 9.3 user rating, for all intents and purposes an excellent game.

The single player is a great atmospheric exploration puzzler, it seems multiplayer is just as good but a very different experience.

Edited by Ronnie

Will get this when I get round to finishing The Fall - another great, dark, moody puzzle/adventure which I heartily recommend.

"The Ugly: When your co-op partner won’t stop honking the horn. The lease only has my name on it, Chris. Remember that."

Yeah, top notch reporting there.

What makes this review any better than all the others? Is it because you don't agree with this game and so picked one of the worst reviews? How do you know it's honest, you haven't played it! It's averaging 83 on Metacritic, and 9.3 user rating, for all intents and purposes an excellent game.

The single player is a great atmospheric exploration puzzler, it seems multiplayer is just as good but a very different experience.

Pretty sure "The Ugly" section is meant to be humourous, Ronnie.

For what it's worth. I completely agree with Wii and that review.

I watched DCubed play some of this, it's neat. But I got the distinct impression that single player requires the multitasking skill of an octopus to get through it.

This was only further cemented when I jumped in and took over piloting duties.

The game suddenly transformed into the ultra cheap adventures of the super budget space exploration duo! We would start discussing how to get past obstacles, and performing the most ridiculous manoeuvres.

We couldn't stop laughing when DCubed turned off almost everything and I started worming the Crappy Ship across the ground to not be detected. (It worked)

It's a fantastic co-op game, but if you're on your own. You might want to think really hard about buying this.

It's a fantastic single player game as well. I can't imagine relinquishing the controls to someone else.

Surprised there isn't more chat about this gem of a game. Done about 30 levels now. So good.

Got to agree with the EGM review. The puzzles aren't particularly taxing but implementing them in co-op is where it's at. Bought this game last night and me and the girlfriend had a right laugh on it.

Certainly my favourite co-op game since Portal 2.

Also, how do you see which level you're up to? I never saw a counter.

Also, how do you see which level you're up to? I never saw a counter.

Bring up the map in the pause menu.

Will get this when I get round to finishing The Fall - another great, dark, moody puzzle/adventure which I heartily recommend.

True to my word, I downloaded and started this today!

Early days, but the comparison with The Fall is surprisingly apt. Same sort of atmosphere and it even controls very similarly.

Nintendo Showcase - Affordable Space Adventures (Wii U)

Totally forgot about this , it's been out for over a month now it's probably worth waiting for the sale this late on.

Sign in to follow this