NEurope
CoolFunkMan

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided [PS4, PC XOne]

Picked it up at the store earlier. Just going to eat now while I wait for the patch to download.

Figured I'd bump the thread as the game is out today.

Got my preloaded copy on Steam all ready. Just waiting to finish work so I can go home and play it!

Awesome. Give us impressions. No spoilers.

I got this on release day, and I've played it for a few hours.

I admit, it took a little while to get going; the tutorial mission was linear and a bit dull, plus the first hub world felt a bit odd at first. Also, let's just say I wasn't overly keen on what augmentations you start with. It did have me slightly worried that it had been dumbed-down a bit. However, when you get access to the new augs (which is really cool and well done, by the way) it balances nicely. I think initially, I wasn't in the right mindset for a DX game, but once I got into the right frame of mind, things got better.

The controls feel a tad clunky at times too (I went with the default Mankind Divided layout), so they may take a bit of getting used to, but I don't feel they really detract from the experience once you get to grips with them.

I'm really itching to play more, but I'm off to a festival for the weekend tomorrow, and I'm not back until Monday, so my playthrough will resume then. I'd say after a rough start, things picked up nicely I'm very impressed! I you liked Human Revolution, you'll like Mankind Divided!

I thought the Dubai mission was a tad pointless, and should've been an optional mission. I get that it was exposition for the story, but it could have easily been told in a cutscene. I wasn't keen on the fact that Jensen pretty much starts with all his augmentations either. Mind you, in hindsight, it does make a lot of sense that he would. I mean it's not like he'd dump them all for no reason, so really this was just more of a nitpick!

As for Prague, the fact that Jensen's augs were playing up became a bit too distracting for me. That said, I do LOVE how the side-missions seamlessly blend in with the world and the main story, it all blends together so well! The urban, run-down style of the environment really feels like a huge throwback to the original Deus Ex too. Breaking into apartments is fun. I was a bit of a douche at one point; after looting someone's place, I turned on their stove, left a cardboard box on top of it, before making a swift exit.

The way in which Jensen "discovers" his new augmentations is great too, I really loved how the whole scenario played out. The fact that they're hidden experimental augs has me massively intrigued on how the plot will develop, although I do have my theories. Managing the power levels is gonna be a massive bitch though, I see some huge decisions being made further down the road.

Oh, and I'm glad there's some recurring characters! I did expect Page to make an apperance, but I'm glad Sarif is still around. Was nice to hear Pritchard and Meg metioned too. I wonder if they'll turn up at some point...

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing to add! I highly recommend playing Human Revolution before going into this. Whilst there is an option to view a recap of the events prior to Mankind Divided, it's still a lot to take in. My flat mate (who hasn't played HR) was pretty overwhelmed by it all, and is having massive issues trying to get into the game. Just a quick heads-up!

Edited by CoolFunkMan

I'm finding the controls to be rather fiddly. Only played half an hour or so but I'm getting frustrated with them, especially when there are loads of enemies around.

Went with the Human Revolution controls, even though I've not played that game either but it sounded like the most natural. But I may switch it to the FPS controls and try again.

Also finding the controls fiddly, common theme eh? Also generally finding it a bit clunky to play, probably after my last console FPS being the smooth 60fps Overwatch. Aaaaand the dialogue sucks and I had to adjust the voice volume as I got Sonic Adventure 2 flashbacks when the music drowns out the audio, especially Jensen's.

So... struggling to find anything especially good to say about it so far :/ maybe I should crack on with the proper missions.

I havent played too much of it so far as the PC version launched as a bit of a buggy mess. For the first day I couldnt even launch it as it would crash everytime. Its taken a patch and me disabling all my dlc to actually get it running.

As for controls, I decided to go with normal shooter controls and they are working fine for me.

I have no problems with the controls.

Up to mission 11/12 so far and enjoying it a lot, despite all the reloads. Trying to get the no kill/alarm trophies, so I reload if an enemy as much as look at it me, let alone triggering an alarm.

The only problem with the controls is where sprint and cover are located in the default layout - Sprint which traditionally in FPS and almost every other game is L3......is Triangle

Snap to cover is L3

It also screwed me because i play divisions where X is snap to cover, in Deus Ex its jump

so the amount of times i went to run and snapped to cover, or went to snap to cover and jumped...

but the new control layout makes it more simple for Aug use really and Grenades, so once you get over that you are fine

I got this the day after release, was waiting for my physical copy. Loving it so far overall. Have stuff to say about it, but I'm preparing to go on holiday, packing and stuff, so it'll have to wait. And that also means I can't continue my game until I'm back.

I'm currently in Prague for the 2nd time, investigating the machine god idiots. I've fooled around a bit.. Doing it the easy way takes a few jumps, 2 guards, and an easy hack (the basketball achievement is back by the way, and found inside their church). But I'll probably go do it the hard way when I'm properly playing the mission, which means taking down (to be clear: with a stealth takedown) every single one of those motherfuckers, like I have so far. I'll post more when I get back.

Oh yeah:

20ABE4B67757D0064309670B7ECDC13092CA1826

Edited by Sméagol

I got this the day after release, was waiting for my physical copy. Loving it so far overall. Have stuff to say about it, but I'm preparing to go on holiday, packing and stuff, so it'll have to wait. And that also means I can't continue my game until I'm back.

I'm currently in Prague for the 2nd time, investigating the machine god idiots. I've fooled around a bit.. Doing it the easy way takes a few jumps, 2 guards, and an easy hack (the basketball achievement is back by the way, and found inside their church). But I'll probably go do it the hard way when I'm properly playing the mission, which means taking down (to be clear: with a stealth takedown) every single one of those motherfuckers, like I have so far. I'll post more when I get back.

Oh yeah:

20ABE4B67757D0064309670B7ECDC13092CA1826

I just did you spoiler, man that was a puzzle and a half to get there with that!

Out of interest is there anything of note in the lower levels of that level? worth knocking out all the guards etc?

I just did you spoiler, man that was a puzzle and a half to get there with that!

Out of interest is there anything of note in the lower levels of that level? worth knocking out all the guards etc?

You mean in the Throat? Or the flats / market area before it? Anyway, I can't remember, and I don't know what you find worthwile. I use almost no equipment, so I sell everything. That trip back to get the penguin was actually worth it to sell all my stuff. In The throat: You already got the praxis point.. There are a couple of sniper rifles, you can find the passwords to Marchenko's and that guys computer. And the codes to the lockers at the top. I'm pretty sure I got a few bottles of neuropozyne somewhere, but can't remember where exactly. And there's of course all the explorer experience. You can also talk to that guy you rescued in the prison by the way. Well, if you rescued him that is.

yeah the throat, i generally ignore passwords if i get the, hacking for the experience. Think i've managed to acquire most weapons etc in the area to sell (think i have £20k)

might do another round and then sell stuff before going to the end of the mission.

See i carried the penguin all the way there, maybe if i'd left it behind i could have done what you've said - but it did make a convenient thing to throw at guards

yeah the throat, i generally ignore passwords if i get the, hacking for the experience.

You still get the experience for using the password.

Anyone else just not that keen on this? I loved HR but I'm finding MD so clunky and jarring. There's a lot of things that break the atmosphere for me like people not caring if you walk into the back of their shop or apartment or smash things up, but then everyone panics just because you meander into a "red" courtyard or whatever. Battery drain is a real irritation, too. Not sure if it drains faster on "Give Me Deus Ex" but I feel like I should be able to use my built in augmentations much more often without feeling like they're so limited.

You still get the experience for using the password.

The same experience? was that changed from Human revolution? god damn

So, I completed this a few days ago, but I haven't had time to post my thoughts until today...

I really enjoyed the game a lot, and despite it's flaws, I actually think this could be my game of the year. However, I still can't shake the feeling that the game ended too soon, and that they've been forced to cut stuff out, to repackage it as DLC. In all honesty, the story was a bit weak, but I did have a feeling it would be a middle of a trilogy type game, which is what this probably is. Mind you, the loose ends do make a nice set-up for the inevitable sequel/DLC.

As for the ending itself, I didn't actually find it too bad, I'm just glad that the decisions I made actually had an outcome, and that this was a proper ending (unlike Human Revolution.) In my ending, Miller died, which made me a bit sad, as I kinda thought he was a decent character, but I went and saved the bomb maker, so missed out on the chance to save him, it seems. The boss fight was a tad easy, once I figured out I could EMP Viktor, and perform a takedown on him, but I guess that's the danger of trying to balance the game for every possible outcome.

At first, I was a bit gutted that Prague was the only hub-world in the game, but after some thought, I think this works better. After all, it's more ideal to have one big detailed world, that actually fits into the story, than to have a global tour, just for the sake of it. The different gameplay choices that the world offered, and the transition to and from missions were done pretty well too. Although the third and final visit to Prague was just brutal!

The main thing I absolutely love about this, is all the ties it has to the original game. The return of Bob Page, Joseph Manderley actually turning up, and a vague mention of Morgan Everett, plus Silhouette! Not to mention this new virus, 'Orchid' (which is obviously an early version of the Grey Death. Slowly but surely, the world is transitioning to the one we see in the original Deus Ex, and as a massive fan, this really excites me. To be honest, I think Mankind Divided was really a game made for the fans, and it shows.

Now, I'm tempted to get the DLC, but I'll see what 'Desperate Measures' is like first...

Edited by CoolFunkMan

Just finished the game. For the fourth time. Safe to say I enjoyed it :p

In the first playthrough I went for stealth, because it always the most fun way in every game like this were you get to choose. Used a guide to find out how to start a couple of sidequest but that was it. Had fun exploring both the missions and the hub myself. Prague may appear small, but I think the size was just big enough for this game. Wouldn't have worked with other stealth games like AC of course, but it worked fine here. I tried to go for both Pacifist and Foxiest, but I didn't know failing a hack counted as alarm(which is stupid because they never sound an alarm) Anyway, I got Pacifist even though when I let people die, just not by my hands, in case anyone else is going to try this.

My second playthrough was perma death and another attempt at Foxiest. Failed the latter again, though no clue why. Used a video guide for this though, in an attempt to secure the Foxiest. Unfortunatly, there was a few unnecessary sections with e-book collecting and knocking out a few guards. That was probably what screwed me over, even though it shouldn't.

I was about to give up on the platinum at this point, although I liked the game I wasn't sure if I wanted to complete it at third time that may end up in failure as well. Learning that it only take a few hours on new game plus I gave it another try. Took me around four hours to beat the game with a fully upgraded Jensen. If you know where you're going and don't do dumb mistakes that forces you to reload, I wouldn't be surprised if you can beat the game in less than three hours, maybe even close to two hours. Basically cloaked my way through the entire game. Didn't have to even knock out a single guard until the final level when you have to stealthily take down the 11 guards in the reception area. Thankfully I got the foxiest in this run.

The fourth was knocking out all the melee/weapon trophies and collecting all the e-books, which takes me all the way to the final level.

All I'm missing now is the awful Breach mode. Does anyone want to boost this? You can send four challenges a day, and beating them gives both players a booster pack, so we can get up to eight boost packs a day, hopefully make the mode a little bit easier.

Edited by Tales

Still meaning to get hold of a copy of this. I'm expecting this to be on sale sometime soon. COME ON SALES!

If only there was a way you could both get what you wanted.

So, I completed this a few days ago, but I haven't had time to post my thoughts until today...

I really enjoyed the game a lot, and despite it's flaws, I actually think this could be my game of the year. However, I still can't shake the feeling that the game ended too soon, and that they've been forced to cut stuff out, to repackage it as DLC. In all honesty, the story was a bit weak, but I did have a feeling it would be a middle of a trilogy type game, which is what this probably is. Mind you, the loose ends do make a nice set-up for the inevitable sequel/DLC.

As for the ending itself, I didn't actually find it too bad, I'm just glad that the decisions I made actually had an outcome, and that this was a proper ending (unlike Human Revolution.) In my ending, Miller died, which made me a bit sad, as I kinda thought he was a decent character, but I went and saved the bomb maker, so missed out on the chance to save him, it seems. The boss fight was a tad easy, once I figured out I could EMP Viktor, and perform a takedown on him, but I guess that's the danger of trying to balance the game for every possible outcome.

At first, I was a bit gutted that Prague was the only hub-world in the game, but after some thought, I think this works better. After all, it's more ideal to have one big detailed world, that actually fits into the story, than to have a global tour, just for the sake of it. The different gameplay choices that the world offered, and the transition to and from missions were done pretty well too. Although the third and final visit to Prague was just brutal!

The main thing I absolutely love about this, is all the ties it has to the original game. The return of Bob Page, Joseph Manderley actually turning up, and a vague mention of Morgan Everett, plus Silhouette! Not to mention this new virus, 'Orchid' (which is obviously an early version of the Grey Death. Slowly but surely, the world is transitioning to the one we see in the original Deus Ex, and as a massive fan, this really excites me. To be honest, I think Mankind Divided was really a game made for the fans, and it shows.

Now, I'm tempted to get the DLC, but I'll see what 'Desperate Measures' is like first...

what was in the medical containers in the vaults of the bank (you can access this regardless of the mission from the parking lot circular air vents)

i assume since you went for the bomb maker you might have missed them, but i'd recommend going in and looking! seriously it has the most obvious hint to the next bit

Its amazing through the game there is a theme of dual lives, secret identities and not being who you think you are and it ties into the hinting that

You aren't Adam Jensen! you are someone else!

Your augs are not the same serial numbers

The work is not Sarif flare

theres missions about implanted memories

and the vaults have containers with the bodies (alive/dead) of Adam Jensen's

Are you a clone? are they Clones? is the real Jensen out there? are you the real Jensen?

It blew my mind by the end

the inevitable sequel had best address this and have flash backs to bits that are easily missed

Edited by Agent Gibbs

If only there was a way you could both get what you wanted.

Well I'd like to get slightly more than a bargain-bin price for it!

Yeah I initially had some of the same concerns as @Shorty, like the lack of response from characters when you fuck up their crib, but I figured that they get a pass on that since there was such a focus on dialogue rather than actual behaviour simulation as far as characters were concerned. It is janky though that people dgaf when you throw their fridge clear across the room, or start tossing their home entertainment system out the window, but will lose their shit if you walk into their bathroom. I found the rest of the game so captivating that it completely made up for that shit tho.

Also battery drain is the absolute worst. Like what is the point of state of the art goon murdering tech if it's all running on a fucking Lithium ion phone battery? I'd rather have a larger recharging pool than have the meter tied to consumables.

On the plus side though; literally everything else is baller.

So I managed to get a cheap copy on ebay and not having the greatest of times with it. Loved HR on the last generation but as a lot of you have mentioned, the controls are really loose. No confidence moving Jensen around and everything feels a little clunky. Some of the graphics completely destroy the immersion for me...cut scenes are so wooden and dry I find myself cutting characters short just to get through the scene quicker. Will give it another session later on today but so far, not great.

If anyone is interest this is currently £13.99 for PS+ members on the store (£22.49 for the deluxe version).

I've just picked it up, god knows when I'll get round to playing it though :heh: