NEurope
Murr

A Cat passed away on my car passenger seat this morning

And I feel terrible about it.

On the way to work this morning, I saw a small black and white cat get hit down by a white van. The van didn't stop and drove off. I pulled over and the poor little guy was twitching in pain, and his head was banging the curb due to the twitching. I put my hand under his head to stop him banging it on the road / curb, and his twitching slowed down.

I had some bin bags in my boot as i'd lined the boot of my car while transferring rocks and plants from my parents to my place.

I lined my passenger seat with these bin bags, and picked the little guy up as gently as I could. He was still just about moving. I turned round and raced to the closest vets as quick as I could, but unfortunately I couldn't get there in time, and he stopped moving on my car seat.

I banged on the vets door, that was still locked as it was only 7:30am, holding him as gently again as I could hoping for the best. They let me in and rushed me through, but it was too late he had gone.

My eyes started to water as I explained how it happened to the vet who let me in. She was very comforting and praised my actions, told me to not beat myself up about it and I'd done a good thing to stop in the first place.

It's so strange how weird i'm feeling. I'm incredibly pissed off with the van driver that left the little guy. I'm surprisingly upset that this cat passed away despite it having nothing to do with me.

I'm going to call the vets shortly to see if the cat was chipped and if they've managed to find the owner. I'm not sure how to feel when they tell me they have or haven't found the owner.

All I know is I'm in work right now, replaying it all over again in my head. It's really quite insignificant to some. Telling the story to people in work, and they don't quite seem to be as concerned or have that much sympathy for the little cat.

I just can't wait for this day to be over to go to my parents house, hug both their cats that were mine when I lived there, and then get to my house and spend the evening with my 2 cats.

Genuinely devastated for the loss of a cat's life that was nothing to do with me.

Edited by Murr

The vet is right, you did more than anyone could have expected of you. Clearly it's still a sad situation, but at least you showed the cat some compassion and help in it's final moments, rather than letting it die alone on the side of the road.

You went above and beyond and provided the poor little thing some comfort in his final moments....Now i need to hug my remaining Cat and make myself feel better, that story hit me so hard

I just got off the phone to the vets.

So the cat was actually a girl, so replace little guy with little girl above. But she was also microchipped and the owners have been to the vet's to collect her and take her home.

She had suffered damage to her head, So putting my hand down to soften her head as she was twitching as her head hit the road, I feel a little better that it may have prevented as much pain. But still...

The owners were of course upset, but thankful someone brought her to the vets.

Peace of mind that the owners have her now, obviously gutted for them though.

I've thanked your post Murr as you did a very kind thing and at least tried your best for the sake of the cat. It's a very sad story and I got upset reading it.

Very sad story :( you did the right thing Murr and it was all you could do for it.

I think what you did was awfully kind, not many people would have gone through all of that.

So yeah you should be really proud of yourself ok!

Edited by M_rock

I despise people who deliberately run over/hurt animals or just don't give a shit. :(

You did a good thing today @Murr and you should be proud of that, I know it won't bring back the cat which was so carelessly killed by that faceless white van driver but at least you made her - the cat's - last moments more comfortable than they would have been, plus by bringing the cat to the vets at least the owners will be able to have closure rather than days going by and them wondering where their pet has gone off to.

All white van drivers are arseholes. You are clearly not.

@Murr you did everything you could, gutted she didn't make it.

I ran over a cat once in my train. Was gutted about it but couldn't exactly stop because of it but I'd certainly stop if I hit one in my car.

Oh :(

Poor kitty. You did everything you could have done and I'm sorry you had to do that.

I'm glad she could be reunited with her owners. <3

I'm sorry to hear this Murr, I think you did the right thing. I had a similar experience, except I euthanised the cat by smothering it. There was no way to get to a vet, the poor thing was yowling and there was mess... everywhere. It's tough, but if there's no hope for survival, better to stop the pain.

You did an amazing thing Murr and you need to hold onto the fact that you helped this poor cat as best as anyone could given the situation. It must be tough on you, but you did the right thing.

I'd definitely say good on you Murr especially considering she was part of someone's home - I know people who've lost their pets without explanation and it's been that minor bit weird for them(expected but not expected, as it were). I hit a fox with my car a few weeks ago for the first time(WHY did it cross THEN! I asked myself, the silliest of times!) and I felt pretty bad - I swung round straight away and checked to see if it was ok - but I essentially watched it die. I did pick it up and put it beside the road rather than let it get mashed to crap by various cars - but I couldn't help but think afterwards about how meh I then became it all. Not in a meh way, but just in a kinda resigned way and if it happened again I dunno if it'd hit me as much. Ofc, foxes and cats are very different so in some ways it's rather incomparable too.

(also when I totes saw this thread I was so worried it was one of yours! Not that it makes it any better but it's that much more, hence why it's so good you took her in somewhere that her family knows now at least)

I love cats and this is a very sad story. All I can say is that kindness is the best human quality and cruelty is the worst. By trying to help the cat, Murr, it at least shows you have the qualities that count.