NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Also wasn't there initial hate for the wii wand? that ended up really taking off well so..

Could Nintendo have turned a corner and be trying to make this viral with these "leaks"? ok never mind that thought :P

Personally I think it looks great.

Yes the lack of physical face buttons is worrying, but just think how useful it'll be to have UI and button layout be adaptable for each game you play. Sort of like what Steve Jobs talked about when revealing the original iPhone. Each game would have it's own control scheme. And there's also the benefit of having a second screen for maps, inventory etc like the Gamepad. Then imagine if you could take that device on the go and play the same NX game on the tube.

Personally I'm hyped. I suspect Nintendo will reveal NX sooner than E3 though now that it's likely been leaked.

My only real issue is that ergonomically it doesn't look like the most confortable thing to hold, but the design probably isn't final.

There are multiple techniques that companies have worked on, one using vibrations on the actual screen, one which uses air to create the sensation of force on your finger and another which uses a liquid to create physical buttons on a touch screen.

That doesn't sound cheap

There is this post on GAF that has me worry a bit.

Guess what everyone this console isn't for you. Its for those that have grown up with tablet gaming.

Sincerely,

Generation Z

i.e. GTFO Gen X and Y this isn't your console.

Yup.

It was telling on the latest bombcast when they got the email from the teacher talking about how the high schoolers scoff at gaming consoles. They call them games for "old people" and the like.

I think Nintendo is on to something big here.

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

this new controller has no microphone between the camera and left speaker.... FAKE :laughing:

There is this post on GAF that has me worry a bit.

I didn't realise tablet gaming used triggers, shoulder wheels and dual analog sticks

Got to enjoy that "confidential" sticker on the side of it...

But also on the top it says "unit 2". If it is real then does that fuel the hybrid rumour into overdrive? If that's the 2nd unit, 1st must be the unit under the TV?

Iunno. A lot of people that actually game still enjoy the console and real controller experience and not just the tablet experience.

Of course, if the future of gaming really is just bejeweled and angry bird clones and RPGs with dodgy controls, then yeah a tablet is great for controls.

I assume unit 2 meant two controllers and the other is unit 1.

Well it certainly looks more upmarket than the usual nintendo devices, looks almost like a high end mobile phone

Really not keen on no face buttons but if the haptics are like the steam pad then it could work, that certainly feels like you've got something under that touch pad

The thing that gets me is after the intial leak, thought the oval shape was an odd choice and perhaps the final model would be more squared off, this suggests otherwise

Kind of wish it was the new handheld, that could work, i mean the lack of things to catch means that could slip in pockets quite easily

I do think though with all these Leaks now nintendo needs to swiftly squash the rumours or reveal the Nx and control the narrative

Well it certainly looks more upmarket than the usual nintendo devices, looks almost like a high end mobile phone

Really not keen on no face buttons but if the haptics are like the steam pad then it could work, that certainly feels like you've got something under that touch pad

The thing that gets me is after the intial leak, thought the oval shape was an odd choice and perhaps the final model would be more squared off, this suggests otherwise

Kind of wish it was the new handheld, that could work, i mean the lack of things to catch means that could slip in pockets quite easily

I do think though with all these Leaks now nintendo needs to swiftly squash the rumours or reveal the Nx and control the narrative

Rule one of revealing a console:

Reveal it before you send dev kits to western developers.

Rule one of revealing a console:

Reveal it before you send dev kits to western developers.

Absofreakinglutely in this case

man dectectiveGAF is on point

lQaOiVTl

Oh god someone made a good idea on GAF, you know those stick on buttons and sticks you can get for ipad, combine that with a handheld style controller grip (leeching off the patent detachable parts)

CeQDW1ZWQAATf8y.jpg

That just might work

EDIT Fuck this is real isn't it? holy hell i don't know how to feel

lQaOiVTl

In my 17 years of experience in the press side of this industry, I can only recall ONE leak that came from the Japanese side of things (and that guy got caught and prosecuted) outside of Nikkei "reports".

Compare this to the amount of leaks in western arms. It's ridiculous.

Well at least we can rest assured we'll be getting a just dance game for the NX...

I really like the look of it. Its so far away from the plastic cheap looking gamepad which is exactly what Nintendo need to be going for.

I hope the console is similar in style and not just a rectangle shaped brick as the Wii & Wii U were. Nintendo need to get back to making nice looking consoles.

Ignoring the Gamepad, Nintendo have always made the most innovative controllers. Who knows, they could be onto a winner here.

Edited by lostmario

lQaOiVTl

Sweden is the only place with trees.

I really like the look of it. Its so far away from the plastic cheap looking gamepad which is exactly what Nintendo need to be going for.

I hope the console is similar in style and not just a rectangle shaped brick as the Wii & Wii U were. Nintendo need to get back to making nice looking consoles.

Ignoring the Gamepad, Nintendo have always made the most innovative controllers. Who knows, they could be onto a winner here.

I think i'm totally with you on this, it looks so (uhh hate this term but) 'Premium' compared to Nintendo's past hardware, and as much as i hate the casual crowd a touch screen ipad like design could have mass appeal, especially if most apps on ios and android could be eaisly ported to the console/handheld for play in addition to the the usual games Nintendo put out

I suppose it looks very much how i'd envision apple to produce a game console, that is certainly a good thing! My only worry is if this is a you have to try it to get a feel for it, that didn't work with the WiiU

Does anyone have an iphone 6 with 3d touch? how is that? people on Gaf think if its like that it could be great, i have no reference point for this other than the steam controller.

Well yeah obviously!

Very close fit thought, unless the poster has insider knowledge?

IF it is Massive (part of Ubisoft) then i'd really love to know how the poster of that image knew it was them

Could just be as simple as, the Swedish keyboard narrows the search to Sweden and then they literally looked at google street view of known 3rd party devs offices and focusing on those with ties to nintendo first?

Edited by Agent Gibbs
Automerged Doublepost

Oh god someone made a good idea on GAF, you know those stick on buttons and sticks you can get for ipad, combine that with a handheld style controller grip (leeching off the patent detachable parts)

CeQDW1ZWQAATf8y.jpg

Unless those addons are free with every game this would suck. I don't want to pay even more for just a controller layout...

I swear to God, if this is what Nintendo is going for (I know it's just a rumour) then I'll lose all hope.

Those recent pics make the controller look a lot better...but I'm with those who think that a lack of feal face buttons is worrying. Also: Without grips it looks really uncomfortable to hold...if people think the Vita is uncomfortable then I'd like to hear what they think about this one :D

Edit: Not sure how much effort it would be development-wise but no face buttons would probably require at least some effort. Depending on how much, I worry even more when it comes to 3rd party games.

Edited by drahkon

Looks stylish but the lack of physical buttons concern me. Playing sophisticated games on my iphone are frustrating due only being able to use the touch screen.

Could just be as simple as, the Swedish keyboard narrows the search to Sweden and then they literally looked at google street view of known 3rd party devs offices and focusing on those with ties to nintendo first?

I asked on Gaf and the poster who suggested it was Massimo replied

Let's be real, it was likely Ubisoft. I checked Malmo and Helsinki

so he literally checked Ubisoft dev's first and got a close match

Man if its correct that is hilarious, now the Nintendo ninja's only need scale the walls and execute

Based on those images, would I like to sit down for a 6 hour play session of the new Zelda using that controller? The answer is probably no. I'm hoping that it feels good to hold for prolonged periods of time. At the moment, I'm just seeing too many red flags to get me excited.

tactusgif.gif

If the NX controller does this...I'm back on board.

Good, at least Nintendo will have found one customer who can afford it then :p

Man, don't we look like fools now for calling it a screaming fake last week.

I would hope that whatever solution Nintendo have come up with is on a par to actually pressing buttons, they'd be crazy to drop them in exchange for something way less accurate and responsive.

So they might have completely lost it.