NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Maybe inadvertently, but I have never heard anyone call games ports when they're released on different systems at the same time.

because they are developed simultaneously...

Ports are like say RE4. Made for the Cube. Then capcom modify it to play on the PS2 etc.

Edited by Pestneb

Maybe inadvertently, but I have never heard anyone call games ports when they're released on different systems at the same time.

I've never heard someone define it in the way you do, but hey ho, ultimately you and Goron 3 were in agreement about the games on offer anyway :heh:

Again, it has nothing to do with release dates. For some bizarre reason you're comparing the Wii U Zelda situation (and even the Twilight situation) to multiplatform games like Assassin's Creed which is the oddest comparison I've seen in a long time.

What's even funnier is that I started by saying that porting Wii U games is actually a good idea and you still went off on one.

Well, let's look at how things may be looking for launch, at least first party, that we know of.

Zelda is likely to be ported

A 3D Mario has been in development since 2013. Most likely launch.

Pikmin 4 is said to be near completion

That Smash NX rumour from that analyst who is quite trustworthy.

Already that looks a lot better than NSMBU and NintendoLand.

After the WiiU i thought i'd not buy another console at launch, i waited for PS4 and got a better library because of it, but if that is the launch line up, i might be swayed for a day one purchase again

Crazy theory: what if Nintendo are actually fixing third party relationships, and they need to reveal the NX before E3 so EA can reveal games at their event?

doesn't seem too crazy to me, it would be quite plausible especially if the recent meetings with EA that were rumoured went well enough

The third party situation is actually the thing I'm most interested in finding out about.

Because I believe the NX has little chance of real success unless it has the big multi-platform releases on par with the other consoles and not just late ports that don't satisfy anyone. Like it or not, it needs FIFA, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, and not gimped versions.

Great, unique Nintendo software can draw people to the console, but having plenty of games available is what will make people stay. The Wii U simply hasn't had enough games on it, for a whole array of reasons I don't think we need to go into.

I guess it really depends on how "different" the console is. I understand the need for Nintendo to carve their own niche and try and innovate, but ultimately, unless it has the games it doesn't matter how great the console/its unique features are. We've just got to hope that whatever unique features there are don't put developers off and that they think they are worth the effort.

Having a console that's identical to PS4/XBO won't do them any good. Who would buy it? People already have their PS4s and XBOs. Ultimately it has to be "different" enough to carve out its own space, mid generation.

Having a console that's identical to PS4/XBO won't do them any good. Who would buy it? People already have their PS4s and XBOs. Ultimately it has to be "different" enough to carve out its own space, mid generation.

I'm not saying it needs to be identical. I'm saying it needs the games.

That's where the differences and exclusives work out and make people decide on which to buy.

On Paper there was little difference between the Xbox one and PS4 (Ram the most part) but exclusive content and how they approached customers put sony in front

If the Nx offers parity with the Ps4 and Xbone then the nintendo games on a console of that power, its potential parity with a handheld will be its Unique selling point and give it an edge in some consumers eyes

Theres no point being the hipster console shunning what consumer wants in an effort to be completely different if consumers have to buy other products to get the games the want - which is exactly the gamble they made with the WiiU and that has failed, its very difficult to deny since its life has been cut short, sales are abysmal, public opinion is poor and the NX its successor is on the horizon.

That route makes you a niche product and Nintendo cannot survive as a niche product

That's where the differences and exclusives work out and make people decide on which to buy.

On Paper there was little difference between the Xbox one and PS4 (Ram the most part) but exclusive content and how they approached customers put sony in front

If the Nx offers parity with the Ps4 and Xbone then the nintendo games on a console of that power, its potential parity with a handheld will be its Unique selling point and give it an edge in some consumers eyes

Theres no point being the hipster console shunning what consumer wants in an effort to be completely different if consumers have to buy other products to get the games the want - which is exactly the gamble they made with the WiiU and that has failed, its very difficult to deny since its life has been cut short, sales are abysmal, public opinion is poor and the NX its successor is on the horizon.

That route makes you a niche product and Nintendo cannot survive as a niche product

You're forgetting that we're halfway through a generation. The core gamers already have their main console of choice. If this were the start of a console cycle then I'd absolutely agree with you.

[tweet]712682958864433152[/tweet]

pkfWmFK.jpg

GB8lTkz.jpg

Only the upper 'nubs' of the sticks move. The bottom part is static (kind of like the circle pad, but it moves along the bottom 'sphere'.

The rollers on the top feel and look pretty much identical to a mouse scroll-wheel. Though I do don't believe this will be the final design.

Haptic feedback is feels like Apples 'taptic' engine. Not like regular rumble.

3.5mm headphone jack on the bottom

A few details, as well.

- Only the upper 'nubs' of the sticks move. The bottom part is static (kind of like the circle pad, but it moves along the bottom 'sphere'.

- The rollers on the top feel and look pretty much identical to a mouse scroll-wheel. Though I do don't believe this will be the final design.

- Haptic feedback is feels like Apples 'taptic' engine. Not like regular rumble.

- 3.5mm headphone jack on the bottom

Surprised nobody posted these accompanying details:

- Only the upper 'nubs' of the sticks move. The bottom part is static (kind of like the circle pad, but it moves along the bottom 'sphere'.

- The rollers on the top feel and look pretty much identical to a mouse scroll-wheel. Though I do don't believe this will be the final design.

- Haptic feedback is feels like Apples 'taptic' engine. Not like regular rumble.

- 3.5mm headphone jack on the bottom

Hmm second picture the angle and the lighting shows square edges that appear as if that's where the screen ends. And the joynubstick is like 90% into the screen.

Looks like a good fake.

Hmm second picture the angle and the lighting shows square edges that appear as if that's where the screen ends. And the joynubstick is like 90% into the screen.

Looks like a good fake.

That's the reflection of the top of the monitor...

Oh man I just LOVE all this speculation! If they turn out to be true then I guess I wasn't all too far off in my guess for the controller prediction thread.

As per the NX Prediction thread, I think they'll do the controller we saw on that patent in the NX Discussion Thread (with a couple minor adjustments)...

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1788842&postcount=1138

These aren't in scale with each other...

[692668A9-6E43-4168-B65B-921DD5285FE3_zpsitw2vg5u.jpg

The Pad:

Clickable analogue sticks. The shoulder buttons are set up like the Pro Controller, so there's 4 buttons but no analogue triggers unfortunately. No + or - buttons, just the "home" button (labelled "Nintendo" here).

It'll have gyro, NFC, a USB charge slot and microphone jack.

The Portable:

Similar size to the New 3DS XL, but not clamshell in design. Two Circle pads as opposed to analogue sticks but they will be clickable (they'll depress slightly). The shoulder buttons will be set up like they are on the New 3DS XL as opposed to the Home controller, so still 4 buttons. Touch interface like the Home controller.

Card slot for the games on the top, headphone jack on the bottom, NFC and speakers. Will have gyro too of course.

They will both be 3D, multi-touch touch-screen and both consoles will be compatible with each other in some respects (save data, profiles, cross-platform play on some games etc)... Portable can be used as Home console controller which is why I've included it here.

Edited by Kav

As a hoax, they could create a file so others could 3-d print it. however, I think I am beginning to accept this is as real.

Also seems that there is an HDMI input at the top? could just be for dev kits though... but suggests 1080 resolution to me.. at least 720...

That's the reflection of the top of the monitor...

Could be but I really don't think so.

Looking back at the original "leak" these nubs looks slightly farther inset than before. Not that that means anything.

Now that looks a lot more realistic...

It's a LOT smaller than the Gamepad. Looks like they really wanted to chop away all of the excess they possible could.

This thing obviously must have a capacitive touchscreen, so it begs the question of whether or not they'll use one of those newfangled capacitive styli (like the one the iPad Pro uses), now that we're starting to see more accurate ones hit the market.

As for the lack of face buttons... Well... Nintendo know the benefits of physical buttons better than anybody and they make the most well constructed controllers in the business. I wouldn't imagine that they'd do something like this unless they were really confident about their haptic technology...

The control sticks remind me of the one on the SEGA Saturn 3D Pad... Which worked fine enough, though lacked the precision that we see in Nintendo's control sticks.

Edited by Dcubed

I really hope it's not true. Lack of face buttons would be a huge mistake.

If the console is designed to have virtual buttons, I imagine that they'll still feel like physical buttons, and that the touch screen can tell the different between resting your finger on the screen and pushing the screen.

If the console is designed to have virtual buttons, I imagine that they'll still feel like physical buttons, and that the touch screen can tell the different between resting your finger on the screen and pushing the screen.

How can they "feel" like buttons if they're a touch screen interface

So... camera at the front, like gamepad... ir sensor at the front bottom, like gamepad, two speakers at the front, like the game pad.

no tv button, power button, x,y,b,a button... no chunky plastic casing, no dpad, no plus or minus buttons.

Interesting.

and haha

I don't think Nintendo wants to make the mistake of not having any haptic feedback of where your buttons are. We have rumors where buttons would actually ascend from the touchscreen

that would be amazing but.. kinda weird :s

Edited by Pestneb

How can they "feel" like buttons if they're a touch screen interface

There are multiple techniques that companies have worked on, one using vibrations on the actual screen, one which uses air to create the sensation of force on your finger and another which uses a liquid to create physical buttons on a touch screen.