NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Alright alright alright let's all calm down please?

Let's try and remain speculative until we know any more.

Who says the console won't have a second screen, at least as an option

How do you anticipate that working in any kind of cohesive way? The benefit of the 3/DS is that the two screens are next to each other. How would you replicate that on a home TV?

I gave you the link last time you fucking asked.

Try actually looking at what I post rather than getting just one line here and there and attacking me for it.

Good god man

I remember what you posted, I still don't think this rules out a hybrid. What did he call them, brothers? Maybe the brothers are siamese twins :)

I really don't think a hybrid is out of the question, what he says doesn't mean it isn't either, and ultimately anything can happen; just don't think you should keep dismissing peoples predictions based on a really tenuous quote which doesn't prove what you think it does.

I don't foresee a hybrid but I imagine the next handheld and home console will compliment each other more that Nintendo consoles ever have done in the past :smile:

While I can see certain games and experiences being shared across both platforms, much like Tipping Stars on Wii U and 3DS, I think the focus will be to enhance gameplay possibilities when owning both devices without it being a necessity. For instance, off TV play or being able to draw on Miiverse would be possible by owning both or, like I mentioned previously, downloadable Wii U titles.

And also, even if Iwata said it definitely isn't a hybrid. Still doesn't mean anything; how many times do companies lie about a product? Many. Again, you just use things to fit your opinion.

Sorry... but kinda... "back up your opinions with fact"

followed by "even if you do have facts, they mean nothing" :wtf:

I agree with the meat of your post - that is if you mean Serebii has to tone down the strength of certainty and "oracle" tone he tends to portray, and that he has to maybe take others opinions into account a lot more... but that probably applies to all of us.

On the hybrid point he has linked text that certainly I would interpret as "aint happening" and I haven't seen a clear and convincing argument that dismisses that.

Although then we've had a fair few release droughts that weren't happening either so I do take your point :laughing:

But I just don't think a hybrid (reducing two pillars to one) fits with what we have seen them do - expanding their business to be less reliant on one area of the market - through theme parks, mobile and amiibo for example.

microsoft seem to be taking a path I foresee Nintendo taking a bit more.

Upto now a console lasts us for 5 years. It kept things easy and simple, compared to PC gaming where PC's needed upgrading on a fairly regular basis.

In todays culture people are more comfortable with the concept of regular upgrades.

I imagine a situation where hardware is more regularly enhanced.

So what if that controller isn't a console at all. What if it is gamepad 2.0

Why is it better? It has a greater range (more of us will be able to roam all over our houses without losing signal) better screen resolution, significantly better battery life and enough hardware inside it to enable it to run New 3ds software off an SD card, so long as the correct NNID is linked to the last Wii U it was used with.

Oh, and it does magical processing to allow a second gamepad to work with the Wii U, or in games like starfox the game can run at a faster speed (if you can handle it) due to the internal processing taken over by the gamepad....

Maybe half of it's new features are only compatible with the New Wii U though. (haha.. I can actually imagine that being the name :P) which allows the separate chip that sends signals to the gamepad to passively read data that is sent to the gamepad to process independently of the main Wii U architecture....

Edited by Pestneb

On the hybrid point he has linked text that certainly I would interpret as "aint happening" and I haven't seen a clear and convincing argument that dismisses that.

In fairness I can't image we would see something until the console is shown off anyway.

For now we wait.

sonic_is_waiting____by_clutch45-d54n0nd.gif

I agree with the meat of your post - that is if you mean Serebii has to tone down the strength of certainty and "oracle" tone he tends to portray, and that he has to maybe take others opinions into account a lot more... but that probably applies to all of us.

Although then we've had a fair few release droughts that weren't happening either so I do take your point :laughing:

But I just don't think a hybrid (reducing two pillars to one) fits with what we have seen them do - expanding their business to be less reliant on one area of the market - through theme parks, mobile and amiibo for example.

microsoft seem to be taking a path I foresee Nintendo taking a bit more.

Upto now a console lasts us for 5 years. It kept things easy and simple, compared to PC gaming where PC's needed upgrading on a fairly regular basis.

In todays culture people are more comfortable with the concept of regular upgrades.

I imagine a situation where hardware is more regularly enhanced.

So what if that controller isn't a console at all. What if it is gamepad 2.0

Why is it better? It has a greater range (more of us will be able to roam all over our houses without losing signal) better screen resolution, significantly better battery life and enough hardware inside it to enable it to run New 3ds software off an SD card, so long as the correct NNID is linked to the last Wii U it was used with.

Oh, and it does magical processing to allow a second gamepad to work with the Wii U, or in games like starfox the game can run at a faster speed (if you can handle it) due to the internal processing taken over by the gamepad....

Maybe half of it's new features are only compatible with the New Wii U though. (haha.. I can actually imagine that being the name :P) which allows the separate chip that sends signals to the gamepad to passively read data that is sent to the gamepad to process independently of the main Wii U architecture....

Nintendo need to break completely from the wii and wii u. The wii u is toxic and we really don't need any hardware which is a continuation of the wii u.

Nintendo need to break completely from the wii and wii u. The wii u is toxic and we really don't need any hardware which is a continuation of the wii u.

tbh...I think Nintendo is "toxic" to most gamers (and maybe dev/publishers) who find the wii u toxic.

The next hardware needs to be something new and exciting, but lets face it, the gamecube was "toxic" when the wii came out - it was still backward compatible.

So I don't think any association with the Wii U would be toxic... Nintendo just need to avoid heavily promoting and publicising the fact.

I hope they know that themselves. They need to break from the "cheap low-end systems" that go along with the Wii brand. Let them make a new, high-end console with a cool concept. I for one don't see the mock-up as a bad concept. But I'm guessing the final version will look a lot different. ...I am a bit sceptical about the touch screen buttons though.

But no matter if the so called NX Devkit is the real deal or just a fake, it's gotten me really exited about the Nintendo NX, no matter how it's gonna turn out. Looking forward to a new generation :D.

Edit: We also need a better system to be able to play DoA Extreme Volleyball, Senran Kagura and Genkai Tokki on. High rez with loads of physics. Very important! /perv mode off

Edited by ArtMediocre

For handhelds, I maintain that two screen clamshell design is the best for oh so many reasons. I'll be very disappointed if they return to one screen

Care to go into detail? You often post saying 'I could argue' or 'for many reasons' but never do. Go on :)

(I'm not against the clamshell design, I'm just interested in knowing why people want it).

What's wrong with that? I guess my point is, either way, stop telling people they're wrong with what they want/predict. It'd be a little annoying even if they did state hybrid to dismiss someone who still thinks it would be; more annoying when it isn't fact at all anyway...

As far as hybrid and such, I'm changing my mind all the time, and it's a combination of what I want and what I think. I mean, I'd love two beastly new consoles that match, beat ps4 and vita; works in perfect sync etc. But would this be successful? I'm not so sure, mainly timing.

But a hybrid makes business to me more and more. Handheld is their most successful, always has been; so if it's a beastly handheld, that on its own could be really successful, but if it also streams to the TV and acts as a home console too...? Then maybe it could be even more successful.

If nintendo decide they're never getting third parties back on board, they lost out on n64 when it was the most powerful, on Gamecube when it was powerful, on wii when it was the most successful... it's almost whatever they do they struggle. So if they embrace that and create a nintendo box - massive virtual console library, all their studios creating for one platform, and whatever 3rd parties they can get and indies and such.

It may not be what we want, but I don't play their games on wii u and wish for more power. The only gimping is on their online features and that isn't power.

Care to go into detail? You often post saying 'I could argue' or 'for many reasons' but never do. Go on :)

(I'm not against the clamshell design, I'm just interested in knowing why people want it).

I'm not serebii :P

But reasons I don't like the clamshell aren't numerous... it's a mechanical point that on my nephew's 3ds has become loose, it almost flaps now and doesn't feel nice at all with lots of play at all the lock points! also with the control stick placement, if adequate support isn't present the screen/buttons are in peril...if something were placed on the screen for example, say the stylus, the screen was closed and 3ds placed in a pocket for example... but that's tenuous.

Also with my GBA I just switch it on and play... with the 3ds there are all of 5 milliseconds spent opening the lid for me to see the screen :P

more seriously... due to me being an idiot, my 3ds had a bath a few weeks ago.

Super gutted... I heard a "plop", wondered what it was, looked round in time to see my 3ds sinking deeper down into a bucket of water. Time seemed to slow down and before I knew it my hand had spontaneously plunged down into the water to pull the 3ds out.. I have no recollection of this but apparently I also said "oh crap" :D

did some emergency care, wiped it dry, inspected to see if any points still had visible water... apparently not. popped some paper towel down the stylus slot to try and draw any water out, opened everything up and waited a couple of days.

It seemed super slow for a couple of days, but since then it seems to be back to normal (even maybe ever so slightly faster than before) and much cleaner :P Though I don't think I will make "bathtime" a regular thing!

oh, my point there being I think it was likely protected by the clam shell and resulting water tension which I think may have helped reduce the amount of water getting inside the 3ds.. I was very pleasantly surprised that it wasn't dripping wet when it came out. I wonder if the Wii U would be similarly resistant...

But a hybrid makes business to me more and more. Handheld is their most successful, always has been; so if it's a beastly handheld, that on its own could be really successful, but if it also streams to the TV and acts as a home console too...? Then maybe it could be even more successful.

If nintendo decide they're never getting third parties back on board, they lost out on n64 when it was the most powerful, on Gamecube when it was powerful, on wii when it was the most successful... it's almost whatever they do they struggle. So if they embrace that and create a nintendo box - massive virtual console library, all their studios creating for one platform, and whatever 3rd parties they can get and indies and such.

Maybe time to circle back to the Nintendflix idea that's been banded around before...

Well. That escalated quickly.

Back to the normal routine of speculating, folks.

I speculate that whatever Nintendo come up with, it's going to involve lasers.

No one can prove Iwata is actually dead, so I still stick with the theory that NX is going to be a hybrid but not in the obvious way. There'll be a handheld and a console and software can work on either and that'd be fucking based.

No one can prove Iwata is actually dead, so I still stick with the theory that NX is going to be a hybrid but not in the obvious way. There'll be a handheld and a console and software can work on either and that'd be fucking based.

Thats how i see a Hybrid working for this, similar to the relationship between an ipad and an iphone, apps can play on both, one has advantages over the other - but with a twist in that the handheld can be used as a controller, afterall Nintendo have dabbled with that since the gamecube, so if both are designed at the same time with unified OS then they can line up form factor two.

i don't in anyway see games being made with any unique elements that require a NX console/Handheld set up, but it would be nice to see that if you are using the handheld as the controller on a game that runs on both, it simultaneously saves the game to both devices, so you can seamlessly pick up the game on handheld

I think the patent previously shown will in some way relate to the handheld - removable ergonomic grips that come with the console! Handgrips are popular for handhelds but equally are not very portable, so if nintendo can make a console that has slip on/clip on grips that are as standard and devise a way to make them easily portable then they are on to a winner!

Think cut half a loo roll in half, have something hollow that can slide into groves on the console, but then also due to its lack of form be easily put in a bag/pocket etc

I certainly think at the very least the patent shows they've dabbled with such ideas

Looking forward to @Kaepora_Gaebora next episode of the Neurope show to see if he discusses all this recent leaks and speculation

Edited by Agent Gibbs

Yeah the original DS is as bad as that Star Fox Zero shirt. Maybe even worse. Maybe...

I was about to defend the original DS design and then saw this comment, I guess I just have bad taste :p

The Gamepad though, my god, that thing is so hideous - It's like what tablets would look like in the 90's.

rumours are abound that there will be a NX reveal prior to E3. 'bout bloody time.

Oh god please be true!

Let it be

Nintendo Direct Event revealing console and some details like pricing, some games etc

Then

E3 > Lots of more details, Games etc and best of all release date shortly after E3 (November Worldwide as leaks suggest)

Of course that would pit the Nx against my purchase of PSVR....Nintendo might just win that round

I'm very surprised that people want Nintendo to cut the hype in half and reveal it in two stages. What's the point? Just go all out at E3 and blow everyone away. Playstation and Xbox would then be an afterthought and everyone would be talking about Nintendo.

I'm very surprised that people want Nintendo to cut the hype in half and reveal it in two stages. What's the point? Just go all out at E3 and blow everyone away. Playstation and Xbox would then be an afterthought and everyone would be talking about Nintendo.

I guess it depends what it is, if the leaks are getting close than a real could be underwhelming as we already knew what it was going to be, or even seen it. So revealing it in advance, people can get used to that, then blow everyone away with the games and service details.

The other thing is having the time to explain everything properly, so splitting in half could get everything the time it needs.

Yeah that's essentially the reason they announced the Wii name early - let that blow over to focus on other things at E3.

The other thing is having the time to explain everything properly, so splitting in half could get everything the time it needs.

They tried that in 2012 :p

They had that ace E3 Direct just before E3, which was done rather well and even well received.

NoG9K.png

Then, at E3...well...fireworks.

Edited by Serebii

They tried that in 2012 :p

They had that ace E3 Direct just before E3, which was done rather well.

Then, at E3...well...fireworks.

yeah I guess that's the potential problem, if they show quite a bit in advance everyone will be thinking - 'if they're showing all this now, just imagine what they're going to show us at e3!'

Though I'm confident they do have loads to show. If they just announce the basic gist of the console in advance - then all games and online services... presuming it's all great news of course!!