NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Why they would use one of the most undergo mic devices to model it in I have no idea :)

It actually looks really cool to be honest, again, as long as it doesn't ramp up the price. How realistic is it to have see through buttons and dpad that could clearly show the screen underneath it?

Doesn't the Wii remote and/or Classic Controller have see through buttons? Think is would be fairly cheap, perhaps even cost effective if they use the same or similar.

wii_remote_a-button_macro_0-710582.jpg

(unless those are on-screen buttons).

Edited by King_V

I've just realised how much that design looks like the Vita! Would be amusing if it ends up like that, all things considered.

Looks like? It is the Vita, just with different button layouts. I just compared to mine and the shape is dead on.

Looks like? It is the Vita, just with different button layouts. I just compared to mine and the shape is dead on.

Came here to say the same thing.

This design would be pretty great, actucally as the Vita's design is awesome.

To be fair to Nintendo - they have never released a fugly product to my recollection. Even the GC handle was cute.

To be fair to Nintendo - they have never released a fugly product to my recollection. Even the GC handle was cute.

Really? The original Nintendo DS is ugly as sin.

876432NintendoDS.png

They made it up with the DSlite which looks sweet as hell. I don't think the gamepad is that aesthetic either.

Yeah the original DS is as bad as that Star Fox Zero shirt. Maybe even worse. Maybe...

Hell, the old brick Gameboy wasn't exactly sleek. Of course it did fit with everything else of the time. Virtual boy certainly wasn't pretty to look at.

Really? The original Nintendo DS is ugly as sin.

876432NintendoDS.png

They made it up with the DSlite which looks sweet as hell. I don't think the gamepad is that aesthetic either.

To me, that wasn't outrageously bad.

If Nintendo haven't given any information on nx other than its development name and won't do so until E3 then surely there's no way it's launching this year. That, I believe would be totally unprecedented. It's becoming annoying now, wish they'd tell us something.

On GAF, this concept idea about freeform displays was posted

I'd be ok with this, due to it having buttons. I'd still hate covering part of the screen with my hands, but I'd be ok with it.

For a portable console, it's certainly a nice idea and I wouldn't be against it at all :smile: Having it as an option for downloadable Wii U titles on the home console would be great too :hehe:

If something like this was to be the actual controller for NX, it would basically be facing many of the problems that Wii U has had and I just can't see it being what Nintendo would go with.

Games such as Super Mario Maker and features like Miiverse really do show the benefit of having a screen on the controller but any potential Mario Maker sequel, be it Mario or another franchise, could quite easily be made for the portable console but there'd be no reason why your creations couldn't be shared and played on the home NX console as well as the handheld. Things like this also act as an incentive to own both devices, which would surely be in the best interests of Nintendo!

Man, I'm starting to fantasize about playing something as atmospheric as Pikmin on that nice wide screen. Mmmmmmm.

Came here to say the same thing.

This design would be pretty great, actucally as the Vita's design is awesome.

Really? I think the Vita is awful to hold, have huge gaps in my had where it wants to wrap around something, but there's nothing there.

That's why the oval patent is awful too, though the handles would fix that!

The ide ahas really grown on me too, as long as it has physical buttons.

Also makes me think again that a high powered portable thats dreams to the tele could be the way to go. People would moan; but do nintendo need more power? Not convinced they do. 3rd parties are a lost cause anyway so why not a portable, make it cheap, make it stream to the tv so acts like the home console too, proper hybrid, and have all their studios develop for one device. Think it could be pretty successful.

For handhelds, I maintain that two screen clamshell design is the best for oh so many reasons. I'll be very disappointed if they return to one screen

Well surely if they wanted parity between the home and handheld version they'd need to just use one screen?

Well surely if they wanted parity between the home and handheld version they'd need to just use one screen?

Nobody said every game would work on both devices

I'm perfectly happy for the next handheld to have a single screen and for the home console not to have a screen on the controller : peace:

Like I alluded to previously, though, having both devices could open up advantages over only having one and it could help entice gamers to invest in both if done correctly. It's definitely going to be interesting to see what happens :hehe:

Nobody said every game would work on both devices

"Hey our home console and handheld can share games! Except one has one screen, the other has two. Some games work across both. Some don't. Enjoy that".

"Hey our home console and handheld can share games! Except one has one screen, the other has two. Some games work across both. Some don't. Enjoy that".

Who says the console won't have a second screen, at least as an option

Since I have ordered the Wii U Pro Controller, my "only" wish is that it's going to be compatible with the NX :D.

I would envisage that when used as console, the controller would act as a second screen and when used as a handheld you would pause the game and select the map/options menu the same way as we have always done before the Wii U. I don't think the second screen will be an issue for 3rd party games as nobody has really taken full advantage of it, in fact I maintain that the best use of the gamepad by far is the off screen capabilities and that would remain intact.

This thread is getting scary.

That gamepad concept is horrible. It's a bad shape and the gimmick of the whole pad being the screen is pointless. It'd be like Nintendo looking at how smartphones work and then only taking the parts that people don't like. Obscuring the screen with your hands and no physical buttons.

Having a handheld and console which are the same device is also a bad idea. They'd both be hobbled devices. The idea of two devices that have a similar development path so that skills can be transferable is a great idea though, so hopefully the rumours are just a corruption of that.

Yeah. As I've said and proven many times, Iwata shot down the entire concept of a hybrid. It's incredibly unlikely that they'd have changed their mind for it

Yeah. As I've said and proven many times, Iwata shot down the entire concept of a hybrid. It's incredibly unlikely that they'd have changed their mind for it

Oh for fuck sake you haven't proven it once. Your mind is mental. You literally twist things to suit your opinion.

Even in this thread you explain your desires for a clamshell, other people express one screen makes more sense - you then say 'no one said games would work on both' - NO ONE HAS SAID ANYTHING!!! We don't anything about it. You can't explain your opinion, then shoot someone else down by saying Nintendo hasn't dismissed that...

You then did it a little later - "who said it won't have as second screen?!"

Your opinion isn't the pinnacle everyone else needs to adhere to.

And also, even if Iwata said it definitely isn't a hybrid. Still doesn't mean anything; how many times do companies lie about a product? Many. Again, you just use things to fit your opinion.

Oh for fuck sake you haven't proven it once. Your mind is mental. You literally twist things to suit your opinion.

Even in this thread you explain your desires for a clamshell, other people express one screen makes more sense - you then say 'no one said games would work on both' - NO ONE HAS SAID ANYTHING!!! We don't anything about it. You can't explain your opinion, then shoot someone else down by saying Nintendo hasn't dismissed that...

You then did it a little later - "who said it won't have as second screen?!"

Your opinion isn't the pinnacle everyone else needs to adhere to.

And also, even if Iwata said it definitely isn't a hybrid. Still doesn't mean anything; how many times do companies lie about a product? Many. Again, you just use things to fit your opinion.

I gave you the link last time you fucking asked.

Try actually looking at what I post rather than getting just one line here and there and attacking me for it.

Good god man