NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

But wouldn't the typical screen fit within the sticks, and the stuff to the sides would be EXTRA real estate we wouldn't normally get? That way it wouldn't affect the gameplay.

I still won't believe that is legit... but this has succeeded in one thing - I am now interested to see what Nintendo release about the NX

I don't really understand why people are entertaining this pic so much (aside from the normal information desperation!)

1) I can't fathom a single reason why there is any benefit to having a round edged display like that.

2) Having joysticks poking through the screen and buttons that would need to be display as well (to camouflage like that) as well as the round display would be hella expensive. Like, there'd have to be a good reason for it expensive.

3) Extra display area? Where? Like under your hands the vast majority of the time. Is that why we need the expensive display and the chance to waste more battery life?

I believe the implication is that the buttons are like this:

http://tactustechnology.com/technology/

Of course, that with the custom shaped screen (not just round but with holes) sounds like it would be insanely expensive.

It's fun to speculate, anyway.

But wouldn't the typical screen fit within the sticks, and the stuff to the sides would be EXTRA real estate we wouldn't normally get? That way it wouldn't affect the gameplay.

Yes, that is probably the case but then it becomes why. The second screen aspect of the GamePad has not really been used all that much so why would they replicate it but make it smaller?

Unless that control really does serve as the handheld in itself, but then we have the same problem but with a different console (i.e. the screen appears to be the same size, or smaller, than the 3DS so what's the benefit?)

I don't really understand why people are entertaining this pic so much (aside from the normal information desperation!)

That/avoiding work on my part.

I've been thinking about the colour of the 'controller' being classic Wii white, which is totally out of fashion now, which is reflected in the fact that the Wii U sold hardly any of the white variation (which is mostly down to the dire storage size, but I'm sure the colour played some part in it) so I don't think Nintendo would produce a new device in that colour, which could be a reason that this is fake.

On the other hand, Nintendo might have such a surplus of white Wii U stock that they've repurposed the analogue sticks to use with NX dev kits.

I've been thinking about the colour of the 'controller' being classic Wii white, which is totally out of fashion now, which is reflected in the fact that the Wii U sold hardly any of the white variation (which is mostly down to the dire storage size, but I'm sure the colour played some part in it) so I don't think Nintendo would produce a new device in that colour, which could be a reason that this is fake.

On the other hand, Nintendo might have such a surplus of white Wii U stock that they've repurposed the analogue sticks to use with NX dev kits.

Agree they need to do away with that whole white clinical look, in line with my 'purge anything Wii related' mantra. Ditch the hand model too, it reeks of a new way to play demo.

As for colour, I'm interested in the hues of grey ala the Snes or N64.

Yes, that is probably the case but then it becomes why. The second screen aspect of the GamePad has not really been used all that much so why would they replicate it but make it smaller?

Unless that control really does serve as the handheld in itself, but then we have the same problem but with a different console (i.e. the screen appears to be the same size, or smaller, than the 3DS so what's the benefit?)

Well yeah, why indeed. I mean, if it's the handheld, and the whole thing being one big screen, if it doesn't cost anything extra, then it's pretty cool I guess and unique, could have some good uses. But it being an important or expensive feature in any way then it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

I guess if they want backwards compatibility they are almost forced to have a screen on the main controller now.

This system lets them have an almost conventional controller and a screen in one. Having the screen round the analogue sticks allows developers to place labels on buttons round it and dictate the controller layout. if it is touch screen or not has some effect on it.

..hues of grey ala the Snes or N64.

Is black a shade of grey..? ::shrug:

Charcoal certainly is.. :grin:

It's almost crazy to think that Nintendo showing off a 'traditonal' controller would excite people as much as, if not more so than, anything else.. but that's where we are today! I'll probably be happy with anything as long as it feels good and the console has great games. I must admit, though, that I'm not enjoying what we've seen within the last couple of days so I currently hope it isn't that :heh:

Just to add more fuel to the fire, there was this article from January last year...

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/7/7511317/sharp-free-form-display-nintendo-ces-2015

Sharp first showed off its unique Free-Form Displays last year, and the technology took on a whole other level of intrigue when it was reported that Nintendo would be the first customer

The displays are an evolution of Sharp's IGZO technology, and can be cut into virtually any shape. (Nintendo reportedly, inexplicably wants a doughnut-shaped display with a hole in the middle.) The gate driver circuits are embedded into the active area of the display, allowing for ultra-thin bezels and unprecedented form factors.
Edited by Kav

Is black a shade of grey..? ::shrug:

Charcoal certainly is.. :grin:

It's almost crazy to think that Nintendo showing off a 'traditonal' controller would excite people as much as, if not more so than, anything else.. but that's where we are today! I'll probably be happy with anything as long as it feels good and the console has great games. I must admit, though, that I'm not enjoying what we've seen within the last couple of days so I currently hope it isn't that :heh:

Black is comprised of every colour so yes, black is a shade of grey ;)

Black is comprised of every colour so yes, black is a shade of grey ;)

I was under the impression that black was an absence of colour, whereas white was the saturation of every colour.

Black and white aren't colours, so to speak...

I was under the impression that black was an absence of colour, whereas white was the saturation of every colour.

Black and white aren't colours, so to speak...

yeah.. technically depends on if you talk pigments or light. Light with red blue and green as primaries, black is absence of all the colours. In pigments with red yellow and blue as primaries black is the presence of all the colours. Although getting actual black from pigments afaik is impossible, the best we get is super dark grey.. though that is I guess what we define as black.

yeah.. technically depends on if you talk pigments or light. Light with red blue and green as primaries, black is absence of all the colours. In pigments with red yellow and blue as primaries black is the presence of all the colours. Although getting actual black from pigments afaik is impossible, the best we get is super dark grey.. though that is I guess what we define as black.

Yup, or very very very dark blue... Well... unless you buy priest's socks ;)

Just to add more fuel to the fire, there was this article from January last year...

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/7/7511317/sharp-free-form-display-nintendo-ces-2015

LOL at doughnut shaped screen.

Well, I'm honestly intrigued in the NX and I believe the world is to - we're craving so many Nintendo games right now - and this might just be the suspense Nintendo needs to edge in mid-gen.

I'm not gonna lie, if the NX launches with a Nintendo sports online game and a Zelda/Mario, and the tech feels new and 'HD' - I'll buy it.

Only three months to go till E3... I just need to survive to until then. :bouncy:

I think the "doughnut shaped screen" probably came from misinterpretation of the design of the rumoured pad... elliptical in shape with two holes is the more accurate description.

Yup, or very very very dark blue... Well... unless you buy priest's socks ;)

Fuark, I miss Father Ted. One of my favourite ever programs.

This bit always slayed me:

Dat scream.

On GAF, this concept idea about freeform displays was posted

I'd be ok with this, due to it having buttons. I'd still hate covering part of the screen with my hands, but I'd be ok with it.

Edited by Serebii

It looks good and I wouldn't mind that, but I hope the screen is big and I like proper borders on edges of the controller/handheld.

I'm still not keen, but unsurprising given I don't like the GamePad :heh: (or, I don't want it to continue to another generation anyway).

Plus a cynical part of me believes if they have to map VC games to display certain buttons on the controller they'd charge us for them again ;) but hopefully we're past that point now!

I'd be ok with this, due to it having buttons. I'd still hate covering part of the screen with my hands, but I'd be ok with it.

I actually think something like that would appeal to a lot of people.

That's kinda what I envisioned - when you take a way that weird oval shape, a whole screen face is a major technical draw imo. Just as how Apple and Samsung are striving for bigger screens, its a relevant and perhaps 'something that people are asking for' thing.

Why they would use one of the most unergonomic devices to model it in I have no idea :)

It actually looks really cool to be honest, again, as long as it doesn't ramp up the price. How realistic is it to have see through buttons and dpad that could clearly show the screen underneath it?

Edited by dazzybee

I've just realised how much that design looks like the Vita! Would be amusing if it ends up like that, all things considered.