NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Did all the Sony boys think the PS3 didn't have a proper online system when they couldn't do party chat?

Yes, pretty sure the majority did. Mainly because the 360 had that feature.

Edit: Well, the PS3 did have chat, it didn't have cross-game chat, though. That was what made the 360's online so much better and a lot more enjoyable.

It may be the "same-old-same-old-talk" but to many gamers the voice chat service is incredibly important.

Some people, one I explained pretty clearly in the ps4 thread, would rather pay NOTHING for wii u online, than pay £40 for a better service on the other systems.

If the Wii U had more than the few worthwile online games it has I'd probably be quite happy with its current service. However, it would need those necessary features many keep talking about even more.

Edited by drahkon

Yes, pretty sure the majority did. Mainly because the 360 had that feature.

Really? Equally ridiculous. In my mind it's like saying a tele isn't a proper tele because a smart tv has more features. An iPad 2 isn't a proper iPad because it. Can't do what The pro can do. My ten year old peageuot isn't a proper car because he can't do what a tesla can do....

Really? Equally ridiculous. In my mind it's like saying a tele isn't a proper tele because a smart tv has more features. An iPad 2 isn't a proper iPad because it. Can't do what The pro can do. My ten year old peageuot isn't a proper car because he can't do what a tesla can do....

Don't agree with that.

Cross game party chat and parties in general improve the experience by much more than what a smart TV/ipad 2 enhances over a TV/ipad.

I'd rather The WiiU have all the online feäures and be on par with the other systems like Reggie said it would prior to it's release.

I'd not moan if he didn't blatantly bullshit us all.

Don't agree with that.

Cross game party chat and parties in general improve the experience by much more than what a smart TV/ipad 2 enhances over a TV/ipad.

But they're just opinions aren't they? David Dakota for example hates party chat so he wouldn't agree. But I guess it doesn't matter which is more valid etc Jist this complete denial on wii us online is really weird and is just causing arguments rather than a discussion.

I'd rather The WiiU have all the online feäures and be on par with the other systems like Reggie said it would prior to it's release.

I'd not moan if he didn't blatantly bullshit us all.

I would too, and pretty confident nx will be. I'm definitely trying to make out with u online is great, but I also don't think serebii was.

For me though, I want Nintendo to use online more - Pikmin. Nintendoland, Mario 3D etc more than say party chat. Given the choice. That's what's annoyed me the most. Hopefully we'll get it all.

But they're just opinions aren't they?

Yes, they are. And that's why I chose to give my opinion in this discussion.

Jist this complete denial on wii us online is really weird and is just causing arguments rather than a discussion.

I don't see any complete denial. I just see equally valid opinions.

For the people you've played. Go to the friend list and press Y. It goes to your player history and shows you everyone you have played with, the game you played with them, and the time you last interacted with them. You can tap them which displays their in-game name and NNID and it has a big friendly button for "Send Friend Request" as well as another for going to their Miiverse profile.

That i did not know! thanks for that

This is just hyperbolic rubbish. Shambolic is such a childish way to describe it. It isn't great if you want al that social stuff and voice chat, but it is a proper system. Can you play online, yes. Can you download games yes. Can you do doc etc it's missing a lot features others do, it's a bit naff, but to deny it is just playground criticism.

Did all the Sony boys think the PS3 didn't have a proper online system when they couldn't do party chat?

Don't confuse something not being good as being proper.

Some people, one I explained pretty clearly in the ps4 thread, would rather pay NOTHING for wii u online, than pay £40 for a better service on the other systems.

Whether or not you see it as shambolic depends on what you expect from an online service (free or not). When it doesn't match up to 3 other competitors (including 1 free) then I don't see any problem calling it shambolic.

How does the Wii U online compare to say the OG Xbox or Dreamcast? I seem to recall that with Splatoon I couldn't invite friends to matches once they appeared online. Is it fair to say that the online is in line with those systems? It's definitely well short of where the 360 was around 2007/08 if I remember correctly.

Don't confuse something not being good as being proper.

But one console came six years before the other. It's like saying that we shouldn't expect phones to have 4G antennas because the Nexus One didn't.

It's not a noun, there is no definition of "proper" when it comes to online infrastructure. Can we say standard? Difficult given there's only three consoles, but in many ways Nintendo is behind the curve and when 2 out of 3 consoles do certain things, it's only natural people will say the third is falling behind.

Personally I'm not happy to accept a basic service when the majority (of a small sample) achieves much more.

It's not that difficult to accept that Nintendo need to up there game when it comes to matching the services of the competition. What they have given us with the 3DS and wii u was inadequate.

Just delivering online and a account isn't enough. I don't just want the bare minimum.

It's not that difficult to accept that Nintendo need to up there game when it comes to matching the services of the competition. What they have given us with the 3DS and wii u was inadequate.

Just delivering online and a account isn't enough. I don't just want the bare minimum.

I'm still keen to dream big and hope that they don't only match it(which I do think is crucial) but do go beyond it in too with some crazy but good ideas like Nintendo have. I just don't want the parity sacrificed for those types of ideas or innovation, I want it in addition to it.

Miiverse was/is a great innovation and a is a big plus point to Nintendo's online. Very clever idea and something that I missed when I first got my PS4.

Miiverse was/is a great innovation and a is a big plus point to Nintendo's online. Very clever idea and something that I missed when I first got my PS4.

Indeed. I love me some Miiverse.

While I can capture screenshots on my PS4, it's just not the same. I like being able to put a comment on a screen and then just fire it up on Miiverse, with little to no effort. I don't use any kind of social media so I can't instantly upload any screenshots that I do take from my PS4.

Miiverse is a huge deal for Nintendo and it's a big reason why I think their next controller will still feature a touch screen. Typing a message out without the screen will be a bit of a hassle after spending a generation doing it with one.

That makes me think of something else - the speed of the system. Miiverse is a very good idea, but I found getting into it slow, and posting limits etc jarring too. One thing I'm finding myself more greatful for than I expected is mobile integration of the PSN, that I can easily see requests etc whilst away from my console as well as sending/receiving messages - also very useful whilst I'm actually playing a game and I get a message and want to reply without even having to go into the message section and then faff with on-screen keyboard(something me and @Nintendo Fan have been making good use of recently, rather than voice chat).

I'm aware there's miiverse available via mobile, but it isn't quite the same as the parity of PSN mobile to console imo.

Indeed. I love me some Miiverse.

While I can capture screenshots on my PS4, it's just not the same. I like being able to put a comment on a screen and then just fire it up on Miiverse, with little to no effort. I don't use any kind of social media so I can't instantly upload any screenshots that I do take from my PS4.

Miiverse is a huge deal for Nintendo and it's a big reason why I think their next controller will still feature a touch screen. Typing a message out without the screen will be a bit of a hassle after spending a generation doing it with one.

Totally agree, feels a bit of a waste not being able to post screenshots from PS4 anywhere. They sort of fixed that with the community feature in the last update (inspired by Miiverse?) but it's still very limited.

As @Rummy says though, speed is an issue which hopefully they'll have fixed on NX, needs to be much faster to get in and out of.

I wonder if they'll make an NX gamepad optional, for things like Miiverse and Mario Maker (which I suspect they'll port across and continue to expand it). Having a second screen is still very useful for things like Zelda or games where you have an inventory or map. Or, the optional second screen will be their new handheld...

That makes me think of something else - the speed of the system. Miiverse is a very good idea, but I found getting into it slow, and posting limits etc jarring too. One thing I'm finding myself more greatful for than I expected is mobile integration of the PSN, that I can easily see requests etc whilst away from my console as well as sending/receiving messages - also very useful whilst I'm actually playing a game and I get a message and want to reply without even having to go into the message section and then faff with on-screen keyboard(something me and @Nintendo Fan have been making good use of recently, rather than voice chat).

I'm aware there's miiverse available via mobile, but it isn't quite the same as the parity of PSN mobile to console imo.

The miiverse on mobile is pretty naff. It's just the website rather than having an actual dedicated app. It's certainly something I hope they sort out in the future.

The speed of Miiverse has certainly come along way since the launch of the Wii U but I would prefer it to be more snappy, especially on the 3DS ( although I appreciate that the NEW 3DS is supposed to increase the speed ).

I wonder if they'll make an NX gamepad optional, for things like Miiverse and Mario Maker (which I suspect they'll port across and continue to expand it). Having a second screen is still very useful for things like Zelda or games where you have an inventory or map. Or, the optional second screen will be their new handheld...

I'm still in the camp that thinks the handheld will double as the controller. I really can't see them getting rid of the screen at this point.

Well you can post the PS4 pictures and videos straight to Facebook, twitter and Youtube, which I use much more than Miiverse.

Enjoyed Miiverse for about three weeks when it was first about but don't really have time for another social network, especially one so niche.

Well you can post the PS4 pictures and videos straight to Facebook, twitter and Youtube, which I use much more than Miiverse.

I haven't touched things like Twitter or Facebook, never have and never will, so I don't have this luxury. Granted, I appreciate that i'm in the minority but I like having a dedicated gaming outlet to put things like this.

I haven't touched things like Twitter or Facebook, never have and never will, so I don't have this luxury. Granted, I appreciate that i'm in the minority but I like having a dedicated gaming outlet to put things like this.

Fair enough. I agree Miiverse is a good thing for those who care, although the post limit and general speed of the whole thing needs improving.

Fair enough. I agree Miiverse is a good thing for those who care, although the post limit and general speed of the whole thing needs improving.

Speed certainly does but the post limit is something that's never bothered me. I post quite a bit when i'm really into a game and have yet to reach the 30 a day limit.

I use Twitter and Facebook all the time but have zero desire to post PS4 screenshots to it. A gaming social network like Miiverse is far more useful to me personally.

I am so out of date.... I only post on miiverse so I can say that I have used, but till now I didn't actually care at all.

I like to play my games and that's it.

I'm still in the camp that thinks the handheld will double as the controller. I really can't see them getting rid of the screen at this point.

Me too. The question is - would it be an expensive bundle deal for both so you can't have one without the other, or some sort of optional? Greater risk if your handheld goes missing/gets broke etc, though tbh we've had that sort of with the gamepad and its crazy repair/replacement prices already.

Enjoyed Miiverse for about three weeks when it was first about but don't really have time for another social network, especially one so niche.

Which is awesome because they're very popular channels and I do appreciate the fact they support it - however I must admit it's a feature I don't use often myself either. I've used it for facebook a couple of times, and contemplating when I stop being lazy to maybe get some crappy clips up on youtube or something - but it's excellent that the option is there and might actually make me indulge with these services more than I otherwise have. I don't tweet or make youtube content but I do use facebook a crapton, and it's been somewhat nice to be able to go straight from something on my PS4 to facebook(though I had to then go and tweak what I wanted visible, and it didn't quite work like how I hoped).

However having said that if they ALSO had a something like miiverse then it'd be excellent. That's what I'm saying about Nintendo and not just having parity but also going beyond - I'd love if the NX could do all those things but then had an improved miiverse on it too - a much more social little social network(not sure if it'd happen though) for the whole platform.

Imagine for example trying to get people together to play something - and managing to do it on miiverse like you might forums, and you could set date time etc get a little party group together and it makes a reminder on the console or something but it really helps facilitate it all. Or it can be an open invite to an activity and first come first serve signups get a crack and gaps can be filled by reserves or something. Imagine though if all of this was a system feature of sorts though.

Not saying that's necessarily what I want or what would be good, but it's just an example of a step beyond what we already have, and I'd like to see some sort of cool online innovations like miiverse was, but even better!