NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

EA and the other third party developers will come on board when there's a reason to do so. It's currently more profitable for them to develop for the PS4, Xbox One, PC, and mobile platforms because there are far more users on these platforms. If Nintendo is able to shift a decent number of NX units early in it's lifespan, you'll see all of the third party developers support the platform.

EA and the other third party developers will come on board when there's a reason to do so. It's currently more profitable for them to develop for the PS4, Xbox One, PC, and mobile platforms because there are far more users on these platforms. If Nintendo is able to shift a decent number of NX units early in it's lifespan, you'll see all of the third party developers support the platform.

I don't think it's that simple. The Wii was a fine example of a console selling great but not getting the same kind of support as what the HD twins were getting at the time.

I think it all comes down to how easy it is for developers to port their games over from one platform to another. If developers have to make new engines, downgrade their games, basically faff on to get their games running on the NX, then they simply may not bother, regardless if the NX is a success or not.

I don't think it's that simple. The Wii was a fine example of a console selling great but not getting the same kind of support as what the HD twins were getting at the time.

I think it all comes down to how easy it is for developers to port their games over from one platform to another. If developers have to make new engines, downgrade their games, basically faff on to get their games running on the NX, then they simply may not bother, regardless if the NX is a success or not.

This is the truth of the matter. They've got to offset the cost of creating a new engine or heavily modifying their engine to get it to run on the NX, as well as the cost in manpower in doing so, against the money they'll make back on projected sales on the Nintendo system, which is near enough guaranteed to be a fraction of the sales on other consoles.

There's one way for Nintendo to get third party support

It's the same way Sony and MS do to start things off.

Throw money at it.

Throw money at it.

It'd have to be more money than anyone has put up ever before though if the architechture of the hardware is too different than the other consoles.

If the architechture was similar than 3rd Parties wouldn't have any issues porting as the cost would be the bare minimum.

That's a very optimistic and simplistic way of looking at it. I think @Hero\-of\-Time's answer to this was spot on.

Also, if EA do come on board...what will they come on board with? A gimped version of FIFA here, a party game there? The problem is to do with the perception of what developers regard as Nintendo's demographic. Would the next Nintendo system get the next Dark Souls game? Will it get Cyberpunk 2077? Will it get the next Mass Effect, or Street Fighter, or Final Fantasy? Nintendo will lose tons of credibility for not having these. Will it even have FIFA on the next system?! The fact we have to ask that is absurd. It's a given on the other systems.

To me, third party games on Nintendo's systems are a real issue. I don't see any reason why this situation will suddenly change. Unless there is something that is absolutely earth shattering that brings the developers in, I don't see how Nintendo are going to entice these big games to appear on the console. Unless Nintendo firmly do decide to go down this "second console" route and play second fiddle to the bigger machines.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Well yes, you're obviously not going to get games that were designed to take advantage of more powerful hardware ported over. As long as Nintendo releases consoles that are sub-par in terms of processing power, their consoles are never going to see releases of most of the big multiplatform games, unless they were designed to run on consoles from the previous generation. But despite the difference in power between the Wii and the other consoles of it's generation, there was quite a bit more third party support for it. We certainly didn't see titles like Battlefield or Assassin's Creed. It just wasn't possible to port these games over. But you did see quite a few of the games that were possible to get ported over get ported, and there were still a reasonable amount of exclusive games released for the Wii relative to the Wii U. The Wii U, despite being a "generation" out of date in the same way that the Wii was, saw a decent amount of 3rd party support back when it was first launched, but once it became clear that the console had a relatively small user base, this dropped off pretty quickly. Take the Assassin's Creed series for example. Assassin's Creed III was a launch title, and Black Flag got a port. The Wii U was never going to get a port of Unity for obvious reasons, but Assassin's Creed rouge, a game that ran on pretty much the same engine as Black Flag, and was designed for the PS3 and Xbox 360 didn't get a port. Considering it would have been a relatively easy port, the low sales are a fairly likely culprit. Ubisoft actually made a pretty good effort to support the Wii U, but after a certain point, clearly even they couldn't justify it anymore. There are loads of other titles that the Wii U could have handled but never got ported. Despite Nintendo's spat with EA, I'm sure they would have ported Battlefield 4 and Hardline over if there were enough potential users to justify it. Yes, Nintendo does need to get better at supporting third parties in other ways, but the number of customers is a pretty big deal.

Throw money at it.

No amount of money is going to save Nintendo when it comes to third party games if they don't sort their next console out. Proper online infrastructure/accounts, hardware parity and standard control setups are what is needed.

No amount of money is going to save Nintendo when it comes to third party games if they don't sort their next console out. Proper online infrastructure/accounts, hardware parity and standard control setups are what is needed.

Yeah Wii U has standard control setups and proper online infrastructure and accounts so bringing that up as a point is a bit weird.

The only issue with Nintendo's accounts is that they aren't easily floatable. This has no impact on third party support but is rather just a desire for consumers.

WiiU with proper online... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

WiiU with proper online... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

How does it not? Just because it lacks party chat does not mean it doesn't have proper online. Party chat is a feature anyway, not part of the infrastructure or accounts so is irrelevant to what was said.

You are being a bit disingenuous there Serebii, you know exactly the points he is making, the swipe about party chat is a tongue in cheek/sarcastic dig at Kav since he's the most vocal advocate of 'if i don't have no party chat no purchase'

Its only recently gotten a proper account system and even then it is not on par with the competition as yet, its obviously a set up for the NX

Up until late 2014 (iirc) the wiiU's online consisted of having a nintendo ID to tie purchases to the club nintendo account, it was only when they rolled out nitnendo id's to 3ds did it have what resembles an online account.

Yeah Wii U has standard control setups and proper online infrastructure and accounts so bringing that up as a point is a bit weird.

The gamepad is not a standard controller...it is particularly divisive in fact. While you can buy a more traditional controller the Wii U does not come with one of the box which means less support and less confidence from other parties.

The only issue with Nintendo's accounts is that they aren't easily floatable. This has no impact on third party support but is rather just a desire for consumers.

Don't you think it's odd that every time you say Wii U has proper online, literally nobody but yourself believes it?

Edited by Sheikah

The gamepad is not a standard controller...it is particularly divisive in fact. While you can buy a more traditional controller the Wii U does not come with one of the box which means less support and less confidence from other parties.

Don't you think it's odd that every time you say Wii U has proper online, literally nobody but yourself believes it?

That's not true.

If people said "Nintendo's online is missing features", I'd be quiet and nod saying "Yes, sometimes it does". However, saying it doesn't have proper infrastructure or accounts is factually untrue. Just because Nintendo choose not to include some things doesn't mean it doesn't have infrastructure or accounts.

Next time, if you word your argument better, maybe you'll be right :)

Also, the GamePad is a standard controller in every single way except it has a screen on. It has an additional component but everything else about it is standard. It's not like the Wii Remote where it was completely different, the GamePad is a standard controller in terms of input and even button layout.

Edited by Serebii

People's meanings here are very clear, and it's well established on these boards that those 'features' Serebii refers to are the same things that others refer to as 'infrastructure'. I personally think they're certainly equitable, but I haven't time to get trolled down. Not sure how 'standard' the gamepad is without analogue shoulders either. Anyhow, I'd rather ask;

I see IdeaMan has returned to Gaf and mentioned a couple of things regarding the NX. The most interesting is that one of the major western 3rd parties doesn't have a development kit yet. At a guess I would probably say that it's EA. Of course it's all rumours and speculation but it will be another blow if EA don't develop for the system.

Why bloody not if true?! If you were Nintendo and you had a big developer, why would you not ensure they had a dev kit regardless? I just don't get it. Sure, cost money etc but get that thing into people's hands!! They really need to cosy up to devs for the next system, and big devs being out there without a dev kit is absolute madness to me.

I actually hope again for a different controller as an option and an option which will be used a lot. A like how they change the controller with every new console, as it feels different. With PS and Xbox (which are great consoles) I have a feeling the only new thing is the graphics (which I can get on PC), but with Nintendo it just feels new.

Again, this is just my opinion, nothing for discussion :).

People's meanings here are very clear, and it's well established on these boards that those 'features' Serebii refers to are the same things that others refer to as 'infrastructure'. I personally think they're certainly equitable, but I haven't time to get trolled down. Not sure how 'standard' the gamepad is without analogue shoulders either. Anyhow, I'd rather ask;

Then they're misusing the term infrastructure and I highly doubt the Wii U lacking Party Chat (the only big missing feature I might add) is deterring third parties.

Edited by Serebii

It will be nice when something solid is actually announced.

Speculation is all well and good but it only seems to lead to unrest due to the uncertainty of it all.

At this point it doesn't feel like much fun and I'm usually one for finding enjoyment in discussing what may or may not become reality.

Personally I think it's likely that Nintendo will end up surprising us all again in an unexpected way but hopefully in the sense that it will be a pleasant surprise which many of us will be able to appreciate even if it doesn't end up pleasing everyone, which is an unrealistic aim anyway.

One thing is for certain, 2016 will be a year to remember in gaming. : peace:

Up until late 2014 (iirc) the wiiU's online consisted of having a nintendo ID to tie purchases to the club nintendo account, it was only when they rolled out nitnendo id's to 3ds did it have what resembles an online account.

Purchases were tied to your NNID (and still are), linking your Club Nintendo was for registering the stars/surveys.

Anything bought on the eShop before NNID was rolled out to the 3DS aren't linked to your NNID/Nintendo Account (at least that seems to be the case in Japan).

Then they're misusing the term infrastructure

This.

The thing about Voice Chat is that Nintendo simply doesn't want to implement it instead of providing options that let's the players choose to use it or not. The Wii U is perfectly capable of doing it.

Accounts are a bit of a mess at the moment, the problem with NNID is that it's locked to a device, which therefore locks purchases to that device. Hopefully this is what the Nintendo Account will solve.

Purchases were tied to your NNID (and still are), linking your Club Nintendo was for registering the stars/surveys.

Anything bought on the eShop before NNID was rolled out to the 3DS aren't linked to your NNID/Nintendo Account (at least that seems to be the case in Japan).

This.

The thing about Voice Chat is that Nintendo simply doesn't want to implement it instead of providing options that let's the players choose to use it or not. The Wii U is perfectly capable of doing it.

Accounts are a bit of a mess at the moment, the problem with NNID is that it's locked to a device, which therefore locks purchases to that device. Hopefully this is what the Nintendo Account will solve.

If Nintendo does let you float your Nintendo Account and NNID, I think they're going to be quite restrictive on it.

If Nintendo does let you float your Nintendo Account and NNID, I think they're going to be quite restrictive on it.

They shouldn't though, especially since they want you to link to your phone/tablet/toaster. I can see them being restrictive on consoles, but hopefully they won't be.

Although having a new president makes it hard to speculate what they will do at this point.

They shouldn't though, especially since they want you to link to your phone/tablet/toaster. I can see them being restrictive on consoles, but hopefully they won't be.

Although having a new president makes it hard to speculate what they will do at this point.

I imagine they'll make it so you have to float them online and you cannot have more than 1 NX Console and 2 NX Handhelds with the same account connected at any one time. If you want to float, you have to disconnect the account from that console and doing so removes all game data (except saves, they're not monsters) from that console that is associated with that account.

Edited by Serebii

Surely online features are a part of the infrastructure, seeing how it's the infrastructure that enables said features?!

Forming a party and having party chat is inherently part of the infrastructure... no? ::shrug:

Surely online features are a part of the infrastructure, seeing how it's the infrastructure that enables said features?!

Forming a party and having party chat is inherently part of the infrastructure... no? ::shrug:

No. It's an additional feature.