NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

The more I see BotW the more I want one, Smyths still have them for pre-order and I had a nice football bet win last night.... I might have to take the plunge.

The more I see BotW the more I want one, Smyths still have them for pre-order and I had a nice football bet win last night.... I might have to take the plunge.

Do it.

j285178c647y.gif

It's not a console. The marketing has been great but it's a handheld with a kick stand.

Sorry if I'm really oversimplifying but... if I can connect this to my TV and it outputs at 720-1080p, and I use a controller, what's the difference to the PS4 (for example) at that point (in terms of what makes it a console)?

Sorry if I'm really oversimplifying but... if I can connect this to my TV and it outputs at 720-1080p, and I use a controller, what's the difference to the PS4 (for example) at that point (in terms of what makes it a console)?

I think it's just that the cpu and gpu are not as powerful

Doesn't really make it any less of a home console. Since when has there been power brackets to differentiate between handheld and home console?

It's not a console. The marketing has been great but it's a handheld with a kick stand.

With the dock providing an increase in performance it's fair to call it a hybrid. If it was just a TV out with no improvements then yeah, a handheld I'd call it, but as it is you couldn't call it a home console either as the console is the handheld part of it itself... but that it performs better as a home console (docked), a hybrid it is.

The controllers are seperate from the console and it acts like a console when docked (no handheld display, higher performance, split screen multiplayer etc). Ergo, it's not just a handheld with TV out.

Edited by Dcubed

Because people want to downplay its capabilities

So with that logic, the Wii U isn't a home console either?

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

I don't really understand this need to define the Switch as either a handheld or home console.. ::shrug:

Regardless of power or specifications, it clearly fulfils the criteria of both distinctions but allows for an exciting level of flexibility in terms of how and where you play. Just enjoy it :smile:

The Switch is a true hybrid.

But the more I see, the more I think its place in the market is as a console. There will be no more Wii U games, for instance, yet there are still (a few) 3DS games to arrive, and Nintendo has made noises that they might actually continue their dedicated handheld line aside from this.

Sitting waiting for Nintendo UK Store (Hut Group) to earmark the money and start processing.

giphy.gif

They've got me stuff early before. Don't hold off on the Switch.

Do we need to pick ourselves up a hefty SD card to go with our new Switch if we don't have one spare?

Do we need to pick ourselves up a hefty SD card to go with our new Switch if we don't have one spare?

Couldn't hurt. I ordered a 128GB one from Amazon a while back. May upgrade if 256GB ones come down in price a bit

Sitting waiting for Nintendo UK Store (Hut Group) to earmark the money and start processing.

giphy.gif

They've got me stuff early before. Don't hold off on the Switch.

They typically ship on Tuesdays these days, at least for software.

*Goes back to refreshing order page*

Edited by Ike

Apologies, I hadn't read the previous comments, so my response was not in the right context. Of course it's a hybrid but bottom line why does it even need to be catergorised.

As usual it's Nintendo delivering a brilliant and unique piece of hardware, that can only be ruined by it's software or lack thereof.

But we all know they have learnt their lessons from Wii U and have repaired all these damaged relationships with 3rd parties. Don't we................

I don't really understand this need to define the Switch as either a handheld or home console.. ::shrug:

Regardless of power or specifications, it clearly fulfils the criteria of both distinctions but allows for an exciting level of flexibility in terms of how and where you play. Just enjoy it :smile:

Amen to that!

I feel like it's whatever you want it to be, but with unprecedented flexibility.

Everyone wants/prefers different things and I can see how, if you are predominantly a home console gamer you may be disappointed, especially if power is your thing.

My moment of realisation came when, on a journey back from London, I played Hyrule Warriors Legends on my 3DS. I really enjoyed it on the journey and I was coming home to an empty house as mother and baby were away for a few days, and fancied carrying on.

But when I got home, I wanted to make the most of the space and play something on the TV. Ideally Hyrule Warriors, but I didn't want to have my face in my 3DS when I could be enjoying some quality gaming time on the big screen.

My circumstances involve being a full time manager, running another company, still taking acting work when I can get it...As well as an 8 month old son and a partner who would like to see me at some point as well (and yes, I answer to the name Billy Big Time :P) (also might explain no N-E shows for quite some time!)

My point is that that meme is true; spent my childhood wanting more money to buy games, now I have more money I don't have the time to play them.

I'm hoping/seems clear that the Switch will bridge a gap between not only home and handheld device but also real life and gaming time. Again everyone's Circumstances are different but for me this feels like a revolution.

Hmm. Think this'll be the first Nintendo console I don't buy at launch since the N64 (when I was much more into beer and girls)

It's not so much the console, as it looks a fantastic bit of kit, it's the poor launch line up. There's only BotW I'm interested in, and I can get that for Wii U without shelling out an extra £300. The lure of being able to take it on the go is not enough. That, plus no VC at launch, and it's not very tempting to me.

I had similar reservations with the Wii U, but even with that, ZombiU interested me, and there was a brand new Mario game that couldn't be played on any older console. But after that and NintendoLand got a bit stale, there wasn't much to keep me interested.

I'll likely buy one leading up to Christmas, as it'll likely be cheaper then, and hopefully Mario Odyssey will be out too.

My SHopto order is 'processing' as of 13.01 today and got my points :)

I wish I ordered from Shopto now as I would have got the points to spend. No idea why I ordered from Amazon.