NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

There are countless things I give money to every day; the idea that giving money precludes you from complaining about said thing is, frankly, ridiculous.

Buying a console on launch day and complaining about it is absolutely hilarious. I loved my Wii U, mostly because I bought it 2 years after it came out when it actually had some appeal. It's called common sense and logic. It didn't appeal to me in the first two years, so I ignored it.

For all those people wanting Nintendo to change, giving them your cash on day one ain't gonna make them do it. Entitled gamers with no patience.

Buying a console on launch day and complaining about it is absolutely hilarious.

It's about as hilarious as me complaining about public transport which I use and pay for anyway. Whatever makes you laugh though, I suppose.

I loved my Wii U, mostly because I bought it 2 years after it came out when it actually had some appeal. It's called common sense and logic. It didn't appeal to me in the first two years, so I ignored it.

For all those people wanting Nintendo to change, giving them your cash on day one ain't gonna make them do it. Entitled gamers with no patience.

The Wii U was a joke day 1 and was a joke until the end. Everything about the console is a joke, but we will still bought it at some point anyway because of the software released for it. Saying not to buy a console because it has some features missing is silly, because ultimately you'd miss out on some pretty good games and suffer that way instead.

Whether we buy it or not at launch doesn't really matter to Nintendo in the grand scheme/"sending a message" side of things, because even the Wii U did well at launch but bombed later down the line because of a variety of bad decisions. Nintendo also have a habit of not reducing their stuff by much, with some notable exceptions (the N64 and 3DS price drops early on), so it's not like it's even that much of a smart move to wait. May as well play Zelda in its best way and get a system that can play the future Mario game - but that doesn't mean you should be criticised for calling out poor moves they make.

Edited by Sheikah

Why? Which other consoles bar the Wii have launched with a virtual back catalogue?

I'm so tired of this entitled gamer mentality where people feel they have the right to complain about every single decision. Why are you buying day one if the console doesn't have what you want? Why are you wasting your money on a product that you're not happy with?

How exactly is no VC a big deal? Just like every other consoles launch in history we won't have a huge choice of stuff to play initially. We paid our pre-orders knowing that, complaining about it now is ridiculous.

The VC will launch when Nintendo are ready to launch it and hopefully it will be much better than the Wii U one. Not being available at launch indicates they might be making an effort this time.

What's the mentality that consumers are apparently NOT allowed to complain? Or hell, just people complaining generally? Believe it or not, people DO have that right; and it doesn't make it an 'entitled gamer mentality' either.

Sure, no VC may not be a big deal to you. The online may not be a big deal to you. The games may not be a big deal to you. Just because these things aren't a big deal to you, why can't they be to someone else? Not everyone is buying system for 100% exactly the same reasons. As for the repeated question of 'why buy it if it doesn't have what you want' - I ask again, what if it's not the simple? The system does enough for some people at the price it's retailing for that they will buy it(and conversely not for a number of people, too) - just because you might like more doesn't mean you don't want the thing at all. Why does this argument keep getting posed so dichotomously? Like it has to be all or nothing? Who really approaches or thinks about much in life like that?

Also saying that people paid their pre-orders 'knowing' that they weren't getting the VC isn't particularly fair - a very large number of people put pre-orders on this system despite not knowing very many things as this thread has shown(online setup and support, accounts and purchases, online cost, voice chat, virtual console etc to name a few). It's due with us in pretty much a week and you have to admit there's still a number of unknowns and uncertainties around the system - if you want to ask any questions of what other consoles I'd dare ask if any other console launch of the last few gens has felt so unknown or so uncertain so close to release date?

Like Ronnie says, they're likely overhauling it, what with GC rumoured to be coming. Then there are the rumours regarding accounts and previous purchases carrying over. These things take time if they are being implemented. Though, all rumours at this stage, we could end up with another naff VC.

Ronnie also promised me a direct by now - but I've yet to see it. What basis does one have for suggesting they're 'likely overhauling it'? That's just some blind/hopeful assumption from what I can see. Besides which as Blade already said - it's not like they haven't HAD time. What have they been doing with it all this while, and if they still need more time why are they rushing a product to launch if they still need that time to work on its features??

Any other company that so blatantly ignored their core fanbase this consistently would have gone bust a long, long time ago. Thanks to what seems to be a kind of begrudging reverse-fanboyism, which is based on seemingly nothing but nostalgia, Nintendo are being kept in business by people who consistently rush out to buy products they don't really want. We all hate Nintendo, but damn we love their games.

Here's hoping Nintendo go third party so people can finally be at peace again.

No you are wrong. I can buy it day 1 and still get plenty of enjoyment from the the product. However that doesn't mean I accept whatever bs Nintendo give me.

No I'm not. You are giving Nintendo your money, therefore buying their "bs".

Can I point out that you've almost literally just said you know what liger is going to enjoy better than he will? You've insisted you're correct on your opinion of his being and self as a person and what he enjoys? I'm sure it wasn't intended like that, but it certainly does read like that to me. Can nobody see how unproductive comments/stuff like these are? Why attack the 'person' buying/not buying the system rather than discuss the system and its pros/cons or the points people are making? I remain convinced it's what leads to so much tension here. To say you don't understand something is one thing, to dismiss it is something else - especially when so much of this comes down to opinions or feelings where there is very rarely a right or wrong.

Anyhow, I digress. Tbh with you I think the worse candidates for the complaining and entitlement are probably actually the ones who are refusing to buy the system but still complaining(such as myself :D!) about it - surely if you buy/support a product you've a right to evaluate it and judge it?! Besides which if they're not then it leads me rather to wonder why statutory consumer rights exist in our law!

Switch is doing some good things, Switch is doing some not so good things or rather just isn't doing the good things. It isn't all black and white, yes or no, hate or love. I struggle to understand how people are managing to simplify the issue to such a fine point when I really cannot see it, nor even feel it myself as someone with interest in the system.

It's definitely disappointing that we won't get VC games at launch but it's what we all expected unfortunately. I'm willing to give them a couple of months to get it all up and running but if there isn't a large library of VC games available when the service launches and they appear to be going the same trickled release route as with the Wii U and 3DS then I will be very disappointed and will most certainly complain. Same goes for the online service too, Nintendo deserve some time to get things right but if there hasn't been any improvement in service over what was available on Wii U by the time they start charging for it then i'll happily join the outrage.

It's good news to hear that Fast RMX and Shovel Knight will be available on launch day too, hopefully the Nindies presentation next week has some more info on the eshop and online services. I got an email from Nintendo earlier telling me to make sure all my money was in order, so hopefully it ships soon!

It's definitely disappointing that we won't get VC games at launch but it's what we all expected unfortunately. I'm willing to give them a couple of months to get it all up and running but if there isn't a large library of VC games available when the service launches and they appear to be going the same trickled release route as with the Wii U and 3DS then I will be very disappointed and will most certainly complain. Same goes for the online service too, Nintendo deserve some time to get things right but if there hasn't been any improvement in service over what was available on Wii U by the time they start charging for it then i'll happily join the outrage.

It's good news to hear that Fast RMX and Shovel Knight will be available on launch day too, hopefully the Nindies presentation next week has some more info on the eshop and online services. I got an email from Nintendo earlier telling me to make sure all my money was in order, so hopefully it ships soon!

See, now this is a sensible and measured post. Instead of blind outrage, this post is frank in its assesments, not over the top. "Disappointing" instead of "ridiculous". "Willing to wait" instead of moaning or saying "typical Nintendo" who are "out of touch", like their word is gospel.

There are a few people on this forum who I'm sure say the things they do for a reaction, yes everything I've written today has been very black and white, but that is simply a response to the people who warble on about the same thing every time, that "it's not good enough" from Nintendo. Not good enough FOR YOU. Not good enough to get YOUR MONEY (even though they are). This is why I don't understand why they are buying day one, it just defies logic. "Oh but I'll enjoy the games" is used as justification for pissing on everything else. Like I said it's not that black and white, yet people endlessly make the same boring points.

When people claim they'll enjoy the games, I would ask, what games? Zelda is about the bulk of it and a couple of Wii U indie ports at lauch. What games? My arguments about this being a soft launch have been ignored because people want it ALL and want it NOW.

There are a lot of things I'm not 100% pleased about with the Switch launch, especially the price of the accessories. I have stated my criticisms previously, but overall I'm excited for release, feel the pros outweigh the cons and I'm looking forward to the console. Online and VC will come with time. No it's not the PS4, sorry, but this is Nintendo after all, so out of touch. I'm up for in-depth and well informed discussion about the launch and the games, but the same people (from both sides, incidentally) keep dragging it down with points we've heard 100 times. How can discussion move on if every time Nintendo make a perceived wrong move people drag the discussion back to stuff we've already exhausted.

Criticism is fair game, but using the appropriate language and not retreading old arguments would go a long way to making it more tolerable.

I somewhat regret not pre-ordering a Switch. I'll most likely get one once I can go back to riding public transport for work. Or when I get moved to the middle of West Virginia for work and will have to do a bunch of sitting around.

See, now this is a sensible and measured post. Instead of blind outrage, this post is frank in its assesments, not over the top. "Disappointing" instead of "ridiculous". "Willing to wait" instead of moaning or saying "typical Nintendo" who are "out of touch", like their word is gospel.

There are a few people on this forum who I'm sure say the things they do for a reaction, yes everything I've written today has been very black and white, but that is simply a response to the people who warble on about the same thing every time, that "it's not good enough" from Nintendo. Not good enough FOR YOU.

The bolded is one of the stranger comments I've seen made on here in a while. Surely it's fairly clear from people's posts that they're expressing their own opinions on the matter?

I find it odd that people spend so much time complaining about people complaining on here.

but the same people (from both sides, incidentally) keep dragging it down with points we've heard 100 times. How can discussion move on if every time Nintendo make a perceived wrong move people drag the discussion back to stuff we've already exhausted.

We've literally just learned today that there's no launch VC - totally fair game to talk about. As is anything, really.

Edited by Sheikah

The lack of VC at launch is disappointing, but I completely expected it. I don't expect it to start until September/October when the paid online service launches now.

The NES Classic Mini is probably partly to blame for the delay. Sucking up a lot of NERD's resources that would otherwise probably going into VC games on the Switch.

Gutting to think of how long we'll have to wait, but oh well. Hope we get some more concrete details about it soon (but we probably won't until E3 :( )

Any other company that so blatantly ignored their core fanbase this consistently would have gone bust a long, long time ago. Thanks to what seems to be a kind of begrudging reverse-fanboyism, which is based on seemingly nothing but nostalgia, Nintendo are being kept in business by people who consistently rush out to buy products they don't really want. We all hate Nintendo, but damn we love their games.

This strikes such a chord with me (and may hit a nerve with others). I'm not going to take sides in the debate here, but I admire you for having the guts to say it. I've ordered a Switch and I don't really know why - I'm not even the tiniest bit excited for it at the moment. I feel a bit gullible for doing so, but don't feel insulted by your point of view, because I'm well aware it's rather daft of me.

On the positive side, I'm looking forward to playing (probably) the best version of Zelda, and I do genuinely want a lot of the 2D indie games. : peace: But hey, who knows? Especially with that embargo. It's probably censored, with the best stuff behind a DLC paywall! ;)

I've seen two big BOTW billboards on the London Underground today. The word is slowly getting out to the masses...

Which stations!?

I somewhat regret not pre-ordering a Switch. I'll most likely get one once I can go back to riding public transport for work. Or when I get moved to the middle of West Virginia for work and will have to do a bunch of sitting around.

part of me regrets not getting the switch, but the sensible side of me knows that I wouldn't get the most out of it. BotW would likely never get finished, the switch would gather dust... I can't see myself really investing time into the switch till 2018, and tbh at that stage 1 2 switch may be just as appealing as BotW :D

but I will see. Would definitely love to have won a switch through one of the competitions I entered.

Why? Which other consoles bar the Wii have launched with a virtual back catalogue?

I'm so tired of this entitled gamer mentality where people feel they have the right to complain about every single decision. Why are you buying day one if the console doesn't have what you want? Why are you wasting your money on a product that you're not happy with?

How exactly is no VC a big deal? Just like every other consoles launch in history we won't have a huge choice of stuff to play initially. We paid our pre-orders knowing that, complaining about it now is ridiculous.

The VC will launch when Nintendo are ready to launch it and hopefully it will be much better than the Wii U one. Not being available at launch indicates they might be making an effort this time.

Don't wanna tread of any toes, but THIS!

If you kind of suspected VC wont be available for launch and it was one of your prerequisites before owning the system... why purchase it at launch? And when you do purchase it at launch, why get mad about it?

This strikes such a chord with me (and may hit a nerve with others). I'm not going to take sides in the debate here, but I admire you for having the guts to say it. I've ordered a Switch and I don't really know why - I'm not even the tiniest bit excited for it at the moment. I feel a bit gullible for doing so, but don't feel insulted by your point of view, because I'm well aware it's rather daft of me.

On the positive side, I'm looking forward to playing (probably) the best version of Zelda, and I do genuinely want a lot of the 2D indie games. : peace: But hey, who knows? Especially with that embargo. It's probably censored, with the best stuff behind a DLC paywall! ;)

I'm exactly the same. I'm just excited about playing Zelda on a new console. I'm buying it for that reason and will end up getting Matio. I don't want to miss out on the AAA Nintendo titles.

I am disappointed that the features of the Switch do not match those of other consoles. I am personally disappointed that there are no VC at launch. Why I am not allowed to be disappointed? Why does criticism of Nintendo receive such hostility from people?

I reluctantly bought a PS4 (I am now happy that I did). I rather that I didn't though as I wanted whatever Nintendo releases to be the primary console.

There are lots of positives about the new console, namely the concept, and it does look sleek.

I don't understand why people get so upset when they read negative feedback. Rather than complain about people complaining and trolling why not argue the other side?

"Entitled gamer" - nah, I am just a consumer, with valid complaints.

Oh come the hell on. That's a bit of an overreaction

Virtual Console is really not that big a deal. The numbers it does aren't big. If I'm not mistaken, the best selling VC games are the Pokémon 3DS VC games and they did less than 2 million sold combined at last number I saw (though that may have been fastest selling, not best. Looking now). VC isn't that big a revenue stream. We're lucky it's coming

Edit: Though I'm starting to think your post was sarcasm :p

Edited by Serebii

From neogaf

Nintendo France: Switch does not support Bluetooth headsets/headphones

Last week some French outlet did an interview with Koizumi in which he apparently confirmed support for Bluetooth headsets and headphones.

Now the same outlet reports that Nintendo France informed them that this was a misunderstanding or wrong translation. Switch does not support Bluetooth headsets as of now.

Source: http://www.melty.fr/nintendo-switch-...s-a592119.html

Yes I'm an entitled gamer and disappointed.

There's no need for posts to get so personal.

There are people on here that are very jaded by Nintendo and others that are still looking for every positive to support them. There are then lots of people also somewhere in between.

That's life, we would have nothing to discuss if we all agreed.

I'm exactly the same. I'm just excited about playing Zelda on a new console. I'm buying it for that reason and will end up getting Matio. I don't want to miss out on the AAA Nintendo titles.

I am disappointed that the features of the Switch do not match those of other consoles. I am personally disappointed that there are no VC at launch. Why I am not allowed to be disappointed? Why does criticism of Nintendo receive such hostility from people?

I reluctantly bought a PS4 (I am now happy that I did). I rather that I didn't though as I wanted whatever Nintendo releases to be the primary console.

There are lots of positives about the new console, namely the concept, and it does look sleek.

I don't understand why people get so upset when they read negative feedback. Rather than complain about people complaining and trolling why not argue the other side?

"Entitled gamer" - nah, I am just a consumer, with valid complaints.

Criticism is good. But when the same old "typical Nintendo" comments get recycled year in year out, its becomes a "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" scenario. Especially when people routinely buy the products they don't seem too happy about (probably a misconception due to the criticisms possibly being aired more than what people are actually enjoying about these Nintendo products).

Its very strange, that some members are day-oneing the Switch but by the comments they leave you'd think they wouldn't dare put £350+ on such a product, especially at launch.

(Not looking to get into any circular back and forths here, just putting down my two pence).

There's no need for posts to get so personal.

There are people on here that are very jaded by Nintendo and others that are still looking for every positive to support them. There are then lots of people also somewhere in between.

That's life, we would have nothing to discuss if we all agreed.

Quite. Better put than I probably could have - and hopefully people will give this post some notice and take it on board.

I am getting tired of the personal stuff. Don't call people names(however inoffensive you think it might be) and avoid attacking people.

Attack arguments and points and offer counterarguments. Agree to disagree where you can't do otherwise. Try to accept points even if you can't understand them, rather than dismissing them.

Mod warning: Posts I see that are solely complaints about complaints, or posts that are attacking people personally or calling names will be edited/deleted and the poster banned from this thread for a week without further warning. 'It was a joke' will not be any valid defence.

Edited by Rummy

Speaking of VC - Were people expecting GC VC games at launch? I'd imagine the other consoles VC we'd bought up since the Wii days.

@Rummy Is it worth having that discussion topic bought back up so we can discuss board issues? (think it was titled something like "this place")

Edited by King_V