NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Achievements can be similar to how Miitomo/Mario Run and FE:H work, with the whole MyNintendo mission thing. At least those have an actual use and give you discounts/items, unlike trophies that don't really do anything.

I would rather have Xbox achievement or PS like Trophies.

To say they have no use is ridiculous when 10's of millions seem to enjoy them just fine.

I would rather have Xbox achievement or PS like Trophies.

To say they have no use is ridiculous when 10's of millions seem to enjoy them just fine.

I enjoy them too, but they still don't have any real use. They're just checkboxes in a long list, at least on PS4. I'm just saying it's nice to have a perk for collecting them, like on Xbox and MyNintendo.

Achievements can be similar to how Miitomo/Mario Run and FE:H work, with the whole MyNintendo mission thing. At least those have an actual use and give you discounts/items, unlike trophies that don't really do anything.

I wouldn't say they don't do anything.

They can breathe new life into games long after the story is finished.

Or sometimes I just enjoy a game so much, I want to try and get everything that the game challenges me too, whether that's collecting everything, doing something in a certain time or order or just doing things in a weird and wonderful way.

Nintendo games generally have a lot for completionists to enjoy so it still irks me that there's no such system to award that other than personal satisfaction. Some people (like me) just want a virtual gold star. :p

The fact that both the other consoles tie it to a gamer score and a trophy rating means people who like to collect them do feel like they're getting something.

I sometimes just like looking back at the games that were really satisfying to platinum / 1000 gamerscore as I can bask in all of my hard work. :grin:

I'll post a pic of the Switch Shelf™ when I'm done. ;)

Here it is...

My Switch Shelf™

2w74hmx.jpg

While I'm still busy sorting out my game room, I have now finished the shelf where my Switch games will be going. :)

I purchased some white cube storage shelves at a bargain price which come in three sizes, the middle of which seems just the right height for Switch titles.

So clockwise from top-left there's the top shelf which is backed with red card, with a Switch coaster fixed to the middle with a Switch pin badge between the top and bottom shelves.

Then on top of that shelf I've got a display of videogame merchandise which I'd already assembled before but it just looks better as part of this display I feel.

So there's an almost complete set of mini-console keychains which I've had for just over a decade with the one on the end being an N64 clock keychain but, close enough. :p

Mario Kart 64 gacha set behind those with some blue Pikmin, with my Tales of Symphonia figure set right at the back which I adore as I was obsessed with the game at one point. :D

Then you can see nearly the whole shelf from an angle which shows the Switch lanyard that I have attached to the N64 keychain so that it runs the whole legnth of the shelf.

There's an Xbox shelf which is much smaller to the left with two Phantasy Star figures on top.

You can also see about half of my boxed GameBoy/Colour/Advance games which have recently been sorted - more pictures of those another time - and finally you can see the box that the Switch badge came in on the bottom shelf.

Yes that is a Nintendogs Plush toy pug which I've had since the launch of the games, he's called Corruption and his job is to guard my GameCube memory cards. :grin:

Two weeks to go!

: peace:

Edited by S.C.G

I enjoy them too, but they still don't have any real use. They're just checkboxes in a long list, at least on PS4. I'm just saying it's nice to have a perk for collecting them, like on Xbox and MyNintendo.

You contradicted yourself there - their use is the same as the games themselves; to provide enjoyment.

Has anyone who ordered the Switch and Zelda bundle from GAME had confirmation that they'll receive it at launch yet? I tried asking on online chat a couple of weeks ago but they said they didn't have numbers yet. :/

I've got confirmation of my pre order on the app. Going to the midnight launch in Bolton. I did pre order in October though. Think I'm 4th or 5th in the queue.

You contradicted yourself there - their use is the same as the games themselves; to provide enjoyment.

You know what I mean.

You know what I mean.

I really don't. The point of them is to provide enjoyment, thus they have a use.

It's the same as the games themselves. They have no use other than to provide enjoyment.

Sigh. They'd have far more use than just enjoyment if they were like Xbox and MyNintendo, were you not only had fun collecting them, but they gave you items and discounts in exchange.

Sigh. They'd have far more use than just enjoyment if they were like Xbox and MyNintendo, were you not only had fun collecting them, but they gave you items and discounts in exchange.

They don't need far more use. They're great as they are.

I don't play games thinking that they'd be more useful if they gave me some discount after I cleared them. Same as when I work towards a trophy.

I'm a little disappointed to be honest. Just a tad. Just wish it had more personality, like Nintendo usually have. Just hope it isn't too sterile.

I'm just ecstatic that there's a language select, region select, etc, like the old DS. Truly region free consoles then. Means I can definitely get a Japanese one, and therefore a damn sight earlier and cheaper than importing. Yay! The Os is indeed slick, 2 weeks!

They don't need far more use. They're great as they are.

I disagree.

Let's move on.

I'm a little disappointed to be honest. Just a tad. Just wish it had more personality, like Nintendo usually have. Just hope it isn't too sterile.

I'm quite happy with the clean look of this OS compared to the cluttered icon layouts of Nintendo's past home consoles. I'm hoping it's still fast when you call the OS menu up mid game.

@S\.C\.G I've always been jealous of your mega collection but this takes the biscuit. And is that a Lloyd figure I see?! :o

@S\.C\.G I've always been jealous of your mega collection but this takes the biscuit. And is that a Lloyd figure I see?! :o

It has taken a while to build up, a lot of it from the past fifteen years or so and while I've purchased many of the games and merchandise from new it's only really within the past few years that I've really thought about properly preserving it all, plus having the games there ready to play so that I may have a hope of clearing my backlog someday. : peace:

That is indeed a Lloyd figure, all the other characters are there too, well the ones which make up this set anyway, the crazy thing is, I just checked and I only paid around £20 for the set many years ago but it'd be tricky to get that set again for anything like that now so I count myself lucky that I got the set when I did; the same goes for the console keychains as well. :)

With the Switch I really want to build up a comprehensive collection of really fantastic games for the machine, so I figured I'd need a decent space to dedicate to them. :D

Though I did buy a few Wii U games, I never really got the same sense of pride that came from seeing a whole row of titles - just like with the Wii - not like with GameCube games or 3DS titles but the Switch seems to be a return to having excellent box design to go with a hopefully excellent console which should see some really excellent games and I just can't wait to be part of it from the start. :smile:

That's a good spot on notifications in the menu - gives some hope there are some basic features.

It's extremely disappointing that it looks like no achievements also no friends list. I think the lack of a button for friends list, social or something similar is a worry.

Are we close to it being confirmed all social options really are through an app?

That's a good spot on notifications in the menu - gives some hope there are some basic features.

It's extremely disappointing that it looks like no achievements also no friends list. I think the lack of a button for friends list, social or something similar is a worry.

Are we close to it being confirmed all social options really are through an app?

Forgot about friend list. Yeah that blows. The only way to communicate with friends is via a phone app? No messaging, invites, friend requests via the device?

Could it be in the user bit?

It's almost a bit too stripped down, I'm glad it's isn't an utter mess of apps and features you never use like PS4; but it's definitely moved in the PS4 direction in style.

I'm quite happy with the clean look of this OS compared to the cluttered icon layouts of Nintendo's past home consoles. I'm hoping it's still fast when you call the OS menu up mid game.

IWeird you say cluttered, I see it as stripped down and bare essential, but the PS4 is tragically cluttered and messy. Unless you mean the visual style only, then yeah, this is definitely sleek Sony stye more than traditional Nintendo. I'm sure it'll be fine, I like Apple for this reason, but I guess I just like Nintendo being a bit different to everyone else.

Forgot about friend list. Yeah that blows. The only way to communicate with friends is via a phone app? No messaging, invites, friend requests via the device?

At one point the user is scrolling through the Notifications tab, and it clearly shows he hasn't linked his Nintendo Account, maybe, probably not, but maybe by linking it, it will open up the hoped for friend list???

At one point the user is scrolling through the Notifications tab, and it clearly shows he hasn't linked his Nintendo Account, maybe, probably not, but maybe by linking it, it will open up the hoped for friend list???

That seems quite likely. Would you be able to see a Friends list if you weren't signed in to PSN?

The UI development documents also clearly showed a Friends list

Good point.

You'd see the section of friends but obviously it wouldn't be populated.

We'll find out next weeks Nintendo direct...

It's almost a bit too stripped down, I'm glad it's isn't an utter mess of apps and features you never use like PS4; but it's definitely moved in the PS4 direction in style.

IWeird you say cluttered, I see it as stripped down and bare essential, but the PS4 is tragically cluttered and messy. Unless you mean the visual style only, then yeah, this is definitely sleek Sony stye more than traditional Nintendo. I'm sure it'll be fine, I like Apple for this reason, but I guess I just like Nintendo being a bit different to everyone else.

No I mean that the Wii U for instance has loads of icons displayed on the screen like an untidy desktop computer. Just a really outdated system that doesn't benefit the user at all.

It looks like Nintendo are getting with the times though and adopting the crossbar menu (two rows of icons). Which coincidentally, is much like what the PS4 has. :p

It's personal preference of course, but so long as it's clean and simple and still easy to use them that's all good by me.

Edited by Sheikah