NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I'm pretty sure the WiiU did from what I recall... apart from the at 1 patch I don't really recall having to wait for any others, including downloads.

Thats good then. Such a helpful feature, especially for someone like me who has a slow Internet connection.

The WiiU definitely had its sleep/rest mode with the orange light and as kav says I'm sure it could download stuff in that - but I think it was limited to game and system updates and possibly not on the same extent as that of the PS4(can't say about XBOne as I don't have one). I don't think it has the ability to log onto the web store and buy/download and push that through to a download queue though - I know with PS4(if you've got rest mode setup) you can do that; and I'd like to hope/think maybe the Switch can do the same to some extent. Of course it's a bit more redundant with the Switch as if you're taking it out and about with you as a portable then you surely needn't be remotely pushing stuff to it in that instance!

Yeah I do tend to buy a lot of my digital PS4 games at work these days and then set them to download so its ready when I get home. Hadnt actually considered that.

So @kav82 you complain that nintendo are clueless (or whoever you phrased it) about hardware, but actually meant the OS features that we don't know anything about yet. Then criticised them for being the multiplayer kings and now lost it, well they still are multiplayer kings, and the switch more so than ever... locally. You ever had friends over to play not he PS4 - there isn't much to play together that makes it a great local console. Let's be honest, nintendo are the ONLY company putting any focus into local multiplayer.

But you mean online. I presume. And again, we don't know. It's a problem wed on't know of course. But your knee jerking is getting worse by the week.

Why not just wait until we know more? You may be surprised; probably not, but maybe.

I think in a lot of ways things are moving dramatically forward - we can set up lobbies, voice chat, create rooms in the future, add people to a private group from social media not in our friends list... Other than the mentalness of it sounding like we need the phone. What exactly is missing? Serious question. What do the others do "so much better"?

So @kav82 you complain that nintendo are clueless (or whoever you phrased it) about hardware, but actually meant the OS features that we don't know anything about yet. Then criticised them for being the multiplayer kings and now lost it, well they still are multiplayer kings, and the switch more so than ever... locally. You ever had friends over to play not he PS4 - there isn't much to play together that makes it a great local console. Let's be honest, nintendo are the ONLY company putting any focus into local multiplayer.

But you mean online. I presume. And again, we don't know. It's a problem wed on't know of course.

This is a good point. Nintendo do quite a few things better than the competition, which is why I still have their console as opposed to the others.

There's not much point in analysing what isn't there at this stage. The console isn't even out.

Apart from a couple of hours on Rocket League I don't think my flat mate and I have ever played local multiplayer on PS4. There just isn't really anything to play in that sense. Nintendo clearly see a niche in local play and are the industry leaders in that sense. The Switch even goes a step further and lets you take local multiplayer on the go. It's brilliant.

There's no doubt that Nintendo consoles are more geared towards local multiplayer but man you should get on Towerfall. This generation's Smash.

I doubt many people would argue that Nintendo dont do a good job with local multiplayer when when the rest of the gaming community has moved onto online then you would at least hope they'd get the basic stuff right. There is nothing to say they cant do great local AND online right?

There's no doubt that Nintendo consoles are more geared towards local multiplayer but man you should get on Towerfall. This generation's Smash.

Don't get me wrong - I think Towerfall is a great and fun multiplayer experience(and a definite missed trick with no online) but I don't know if I'd go so far as to put it in the same leagues as Smash!

But you mean online. I presume.

They used to reign supreme as multiplayer kings (N64 days especially)... but with their attitude toward online gaming they'll never reach that peak again.

Why presume when you could go crazy and read someone's posts comprehensively before replying?

It raises a point however that's been raised before though. You can ask about local multiplayer experiences in the current day and age - but for the majority of us here we've been gamers a long while and we've grown up and moved on - what about the fact that actually getting these local multiplayer experiences together is just probably not as practical as it once was?

One thing the Switch potentially fixes is that with its portability and local multiplayer - though that will also depend heavily on the system being a success and having enough local friends to make the most of it. I'd definitely, for myself at least, prefer having an on-par online multiplayer system now than a banging local multiplayer infrastructure - simply because I think the former is much more relevant in the current day and age.

There is nothing to say they cant do great local AND online right?

Exactly this for me. Why must it be one thing or the other, rather than both? If forcibly given the choice then my situation takes online over local, but I really think both should be made equally as important and implemented as such.

Edited by Rummy

I was going to namecheck towerfall, I do have it and it is great fun. Hopefully it comes to switch. But yes, excellent.

Switch does have both. An industry leading local multiplayer and a likely good online set-up.

@dazzybee the OS is a part of the hardware, the hardware bloody encompasses it so yes, one can cite it as part of the problem! Also, do you know how many friends I had round to do local on WiiU? None!

Most of my mates that are gamers live in different cities these days after moving for uni/work, those that live in Manchester have kids or work shifts so them coming over wasn't really the norm... so we game online.

On the PS4 I can put on a game, create a Party and chat to my mates even whilst playing different games. Even whilst not playing, I could be on the web browser streaming something to the TV (I've done this a lot with @Blade ) but still chatting.

Nintendo have said you can chat whilst online in compatible games. So it's not a Party Chat, it's like how it was in some games on the WiiU. Also, on the PS4 I don't have to use a separate device to do so.

You say my "knee-jerking" is getting worse but evidence points to it being more on the money than other people's blind and unwarranted optimism.

Just a query @Ronnie what evidence suggests the online set up will be "likely good"? If you consider the industry standard set up, how is it looking the way you suggest?

Edited by Kav

!

Why presume when you could go crazy and read someone's posts comprehensively before replying?

Why do you feel the need to butt into other people's discussions with these antagonistic comments? You're supposed to be a mod and at times you make things worse. I'm sure Kav isn't bothered at all, I was just being very clear and making sure I wasn't putting words into people's mouths. And countering his point about being "multiplayer kings". Your comment was completely unnecessary, and frankly nothing to do with you. Join in the discussion or don't; the worst thing is these petulant comments.

Switch does have both. An industry leading local multiplayer and a likely good online set-up.

18 days from launch and one of their biggest fans can at best describe their online setup as "likely good" :heh:

I doubt many people would argue that Nintendo dont do a good job with local multiplayer when when the rest of the gaming community has moved onto online then you would at least hope they'd get the basic stuff right. There is nothing to say they cant do great local AND online right?

Well indeed, that would be perfect. Let's hope they manage it.

'Does have' and 'likely good' hardly mean the same thing though, do they? Nobody's making a falsely dichotomous argument saying it will have NO online.

The fact is we simply don't know enough about the online to fully comment. However from the tidbits I see us getting, such as that mentioned re: Splatton, seem to indicate it won't be on par with the standards many of has have come to accept as established since even the PS3/360.

Sure - we may still be wrong, but there's so far very little evidence to the contrary, and some to support the fact it might not be there.

Why do you feel the need to butt into other people's discussions with these antagonistic comments? You're supposed to be a mod and at times you make things worse. I'm sure Kav isn't bothered at all, I was just being very clear and making sure I wasn't putting words into people's mouths. And countering his point about being "multiplayer kings". Your comment was completely unnecessary, and frankly nothing to do with you. Join in the discussion or don't; the worst thing is these petulant comments.

If you're wanting to have a private conversation/dicsussion without me - then do it privately. However last I checked this was a discussion forum - and as has been repeatedly stated people should be able to discuss as they wish, whether you feel it fits your current agenda. Both points are relevant to mine about local multiplayer of old possibly not meeting the needs or wants of the current age - unless you'd somehow like to explain how they aren't I'll happily accept whatever your point was with this as moot.

EDIT: Even more relevant as kav has actually gone on to make the same point in regards to local play on his Wii U. So clearly I was extremely irrelevant to this supposed private discussion I'm allowed no part of :rolleyes:

Edited by Rummy

@dazzybee the OS is a part of the hardware, the hardware bloody encompasses it so yes, one can cite it as part of the problem! Also, do you know how many friends I had round to do local on WiiU? None!

Most of my mates that are gamers live in different cities these days after moving for uni/work, those that live in Manchester have kids or work shifts so them coming over wasn't really the norm... so we game online.

On the PS4 I can put on a game, create a Party and chat to my mates even whilst playing different games. Even whilst not playing, I could be on the web browser streaming something to the TV (I've done this a lot with @Blade ) but still chatting.

Nintendo have said you can chat whilst online in compatible games. So it's not a Party Chat, it's like how it was in some games on the WiiU. Also, on the PS4 I don't have to use a separate device to do so.

I wouldn't say OS is part of the hardware, in fact it's explicitly not surely? It's software no? And we don't know what it is and what it does.

And maybe you don't use local multiplayer, it doesn't mean it's not a great thing, maybe not for you, but you can't slag something off for nailing a feature you don't use... I mean you can, but it's the ramblings of a madman! I don't really use online but I don't slag off how amazing online features are on other consoles because I don't use them...

And yeah, it seems there is no party chat; not great; but it also seems a little bit of a step up wii u in game voice chat, how much in the middle of the two it is we'll see; but it sort of sounds like. You can create a lobby to chat, outside of the game itself. Ah who knows, we'll find out "after launch" :D

'Does have' and 'likely good' hardly mean the same thing though, do they? Nobody's making a falsely dichotomous argument saying it will have NO online.

The fact is we simply don't know enough about the online to fully comment. However from the tidbits I see us getting, such as that mentioned re: Splatton, seem to indicate it won't be on par with the standards many of has have come to accept as established since even the PS3/360.

Sure - we may still be wrong, but there's so far very little evidence to the contrary, and some to support the fact it might not be there.

But then there's the evidence of the official info saying you can attach headsets to the switch that says maybe we don't NEED an app.... Maybe. I think ultimately it sounds like it has all the features, but could be behind an app. If the app was an option I see it as nothing but an amazing thing. If it;just the app, then I'm sure we'll get used to it... It may not be horrific!

I've not slagged off local multiplayer @dazzybee, if anything I've recognised it's value in that I've said how the joycons being two controllers give it greater value for money.

Living with children I recognise this even more... however, what is worth noting is that the kids prefer to play locally on the Xbox One than they did the WiiU!

When I say multiplayer I encompass online into it because online is a part of it. I'm talking about it as a whole.

That lack of local multiplayer on other consoles argument is completely ass.

Diablo 3

Overcooked

Helldivers

Dead Nation

Alienation

ResoGun

Borderlands

Don't Starve

Two Lara Croft games

LittleBigPlanet 3

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime

Guacamelee

Nidhogg

Trials Fusion

Divekick

Sportsfriends

Enter the Gungeon

EDF 4.1

The Binding of Isaac

Spelunky

Any fighting game like Injustice

Those FIFA games that are so popular, and any sports game for that matter

Plus, already mention Rocket League and Towerfall

At the end of the day, Nintendo can't really compete against most of the industry. The numbers aren't with them.

At the end of the day, Nintendo can't really compete against most of the industry. The numbers aren't with them.

tumblr_inline_obddk5RIVy1qderj8_500.gif

Really?

Seriously?

REALLY?

MOD EDIT(by Rummy) : Consider this post at this point. What is this post saying, how does one react to it, and what does it add to the discussion? I don't want to end up censoring everything, and I don't want to call out every slight joke post, but really I think people need to ask when they post: What does this add to the discussion? My prediction is that this post would inspire a backlash against it due to its rather lacking/thin content and contribution to the discussion(possibly not with this edit, I don't know), and take things further off actual Switch discussion. This isn't a criticism against the poster as I realise I'm going to be called out for - it's a criticism of posts like this; regardless who is making them.

MOD EDITEDIT: Below came in as I was making the above edits. [/Rummy]

(Serebii)That list is also hilarious, mostly comprising of download and indie titles. On core retail games, local multiplayer is out the window, no longer a focus, and if included shifted away for an online focus. You cannot deny that

Edited by Rummy

And the problem with download and indie titles are what exactly?

What a straw man argument.

There's a range of titles there that Nintendo will never come close to. You cannot deny that.

Then criticised them for being the multiplayer kings and now lost it, well they still are multiplayer kings, and the switch more so than ever... locally.

They're the "multiplayer kings" if you basically ignore online multiplayer and having a decent number of recent multiplayer games, and thus anything that might potentially make them eligible for that title. :heh:

You can't extol the virtues of Nintendo getting indie support earlier in this thread and then decree indie games unworthy of note now.

As said, what the hell difference does it make? We just going to focus on what's on retail stores? Do we really want to discuss Nintendo's presence in retail stores?

And the problem with download and indie titles are what exactly?

What a straw man argument.

There's a range of titles there that Nintendo will never come close to. You cannot deny that.

I never said there was a problem.

And yeah, Nintendo has a big range, and they also have many indie titles, including some listed.

What I'm saying is that the notion that local multiplayer is gone is based on big developers and big publishers abandoning it. That's what people are getting at. You saying "But indies" doesn't diminish that.

What I'm saying is that the notion that local multiplayer is gone is based on big developers and big publishers abandoning it. That's what people are getting at. You saying "But indies" doesn't diminish that.

Yeah look at all these people saying "the notion that local multiplayer is gone is based on big developers and big publishers abandoning it".

Apart from a couple of hours on Rocket League I don't think my flat mate and I have ever played local multiplayer on PS4. There just isn't really anything to play in that sense. Nintendo clearly see a niche in local play and are the industry leaders in that sense. The Switch even goes a step further and lets you take local multiplayer on the go. It's brilliant.

Don't get me wrong - I think Towerfall is a great and fun multiplayer experience(and a definite missed trick with no online) but I don't know if I'd go so far as to put it in the same leagues as Smash!

[...]

One thing the Switch potentially fixes is that with its portability and local multiplayer - though that will also depend heavily on the system being a success and having enough local friends to make the most of it. I'd definitely, for myself at least, prefer having an on-par online multiplayer system now than a banging local multiplayer infrastructure - simply because I think the former is much more relevant in the current day and age.

Exactly this for me. Why must it be one thing or the other, rather than both? If forcibly given the choice then my situation takes online over local, but I really think both should be made equally as important and implemented as such.

I was going to namecheck towerfall, I do have it and it is great fun. Hopefully it comes to switch. But yes, excellent.

And maybe you don't use local multiplayer, it doesn't mean it's not a great thing, maybe not for you, but you can't slag something off for nailing a feature you don't use... I mean you can, but it's the ramblings of a madman! I don't really use online but I don't slag off how amazing online features are on other consoles because I don't use them...

I've not slagged off local multiplayer @dazzybee, if anything I've recognised it's value in that I've said how the joycons being two controllers give it greater value for money.

Living with children I recognise this even more... however, what is worth noting is that the kids prefer to play locally on the Xbox One than they did the WiiU!

When I say multiplayer I encompass online into it because online is a part of it. I'm talking about it as a whole.

Thank you.

My point was big publishers abandoning it and Nintendo creating hardware that allows for both innovative local gaming and online.

Can you play the likes of Enter the Gungeon, Spelunky, Guacamelee, ResoGun online or is it local multiplayer only? Those, and most of Daft's list, are all primarily single player experiences with tacked on multiplayer anyway.

a likely good online set-up.

The Splatoon 2 thread has Nintendo describing the online. It's virtually identical to the Wii U with two differences.

Positive: some calendar function for planning sessions.

Major negative: it's done through an app, not the console.

So, unless Nintendo are lying to us or are just being utterly moronic and describing the online wrong, the Switch seems like it has a worse online than the Wii U (based solely on official comments by Nintendo).