NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I played a couple of Grand Prix with my brother in Super Mario Kart last week on his Wii U and it's still loads of fun :hehe: I can't remember the last time we done that!

Before we began, though, we had to hunt down batteries for his Wii Remote and plug in a dusty classic controller, then go into the settings and set the Wii U Gamepad to Player 2. I'm actually really excited at the thought of just being able to 'share the joy' by slipping the Joy-Cons off the Switch, handing one to my brother and instantly be able to jump in :yay:

I think a lot of you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

You realise we're already in the Switch thread, right? :p

Interesting mention about Gameseek keeping their low pre-order price. I'm wondering if they might even attempt to retail at that, or still lower than competition, post-release? £200 is definitely the right mark for this for me - and if I see it for that in the next year that I'll probably get it. Probably not going to get Switch Zelda either way, but I'd be interested in Splatoon or Mario coming within a year, and possibly XC2. Still need to play XCX at some point though.

The more I hear from Nintendo on the Switch the less I think of the system... it just sounds like a WiiU2, in that you can take the Gamepad with you.

Every interview I read just enforces my train of thought in that Nintendo have lost it. They no longer have what it takes to be relevant in gaming from a hardware standpoint and will slowly and surely decline into obscurity.

They haven't the foggiest!

Sure, I'm getting the system but only because I'm trading in my WiiU and 3DS, there's no chance I'd bother otherwise. I feel it's going to be another disappointing gen from Nintendo.

The more I hear from Nintendo on the Switch the less I think of the system... it just sounds like a WiiU2, in that you can take the Gamepad with you.

Every interview I read just enforces my train of thought in that Nintendo have lost it. They no longer have what it takes to be relevant in gaming from a hardware standpoint and will slowly and surely decline into obscurity.

Sure, I'm getting the system but only because I'm trading in my WiiU and 3DS, there's no chance I'd bother otherwise. I feel it's going to be another disappointing gen from Nintendo.

Interesting, given that 99% of people who actually went hands on with the Switch absolutely love the hardware. Great hardware + great games doesn't = a disappointing gen to me.

I suspect you may have said or thought the same before they released the 100+ million selling Wii, the 150+ mil selling DS and the 65+ mil selling 3DS.

Edited by Ronnie

...I suspect you may have said or thought the same before they released the 100+ million selling Wii, the 150+ mil selling DS and the 65+ mil selling 3DS.

You'd be very incorrect then. It's all on the forum, you could go back and see. I was hyped for each and loved each of them. It's the WiiU generation that has soured Nintendo for me.

Prior to the WiiU I was actually hyped... now I know better.

Interesting, given that 99% of people who actually went hands on with the Switch absolutely love the hardware...

99% of the people have been Nintendo fans.

Not sure about that. I really didn't expect Nintendo to produce such a nice piece of kit. I was fully expecting a cheap screen and a cheap looking device. Instead This looks premium. They don't seem to have cut corners somewhere on the design of the hardware which is surprising.

Now where I think the issue lies is what people want and expect. For me I wanted a high spec handheld and this is what the switch is for me. However I fully understand that those who wanted a new poweful nintendo home console could be disappointed as again it will still not offer at a minimum parity with the competition.

99% of the people have been Nintendo fans

That 99% certainly didn't love the wii u.

Edited by liger05

You'd be very incorrect then. It's all on the forum, you could go back and see. I was hyped for each and loved each of them. It's the WiiU generation that has soured Nintendo for me.

Prior to the WiiU I was actually hyped... now I know better.

So one dud and they now "haven't the foggiest"?

99% of the people have been Nintendo fans.

What?

Firstly, you're incorrect but more importantly why does that matter? Everyone says the hardware is fantastic, regardless of them liking Nintendo or not.

You realise we're already in the Switch thread, right? :p

Interesting mention about Gameseek keeping their low pre-order price. I'm wondering if they might even attempt to retail at that, or still lower than competition, post-release? £200 is definitely the right mark for this for me - and if I see it for that in the next year that I'll probably get it. Probably not going to get Switch Zelda either way, but I'd be interested in Splatoon or Mario coming within a year, and possibly XC2. Still need to play XCX at some point though.

Would love to know how they are doing this? How do the margins even allow it? Seems to me more of a tactic in getting people's details and a small amount will be sold at that price.

Huh, funny you feel this way. I'm way over in the cynical corner. I'm not counting down the days til the Switch, I'm waiting for the new Zelda and the colourful controller I'm going to have to play it on. The game lineup is, for my preferences, abysmal. I see no evidence they won't disappoint me like they did last generation.

But, the one thing I am really impressed by is the hardware, the physical device itself. It looks like so much more than a Wii U 2, which was basically like the Fisher Price My First Tablet that you could barely leave the room with. It looks like the perfect mobile gaming device, the screen looks fantastic on three fronts: design, screen quality and touchscreen responsiveness. The little controllers look great, I'm sure I'll at least get Bomberman if the price ever drops so I have a great on-the-go two-player system.

Like I say, I'm not psyched for the Switch, but at the same time I cannot wait to play Zelda on this lovely looking bit of kit.

Not sure about that. I really didn't expect Nintendo to produce such a nice piece of kit. I was fully expecting a cheap screen and a cheap looking device. Instead This looks premium. They don't seem to have cut corners somewhere on the design of the hardware which is surprising.

Now where I think the issue lies is what people want and expect. For me I wanted a high spec handheld and this is what the switch is for me. However I fully understand that those who wanted a new poweful nintendo home console could be disappointed as again it will still not offer at a minimum parity with the competition.

That 99% certainly didn't love the wii u.

The hardware is well made and visually appealing, I'm not saying it isnt, but it's sorely lacking on features that other consoles have. Also, I worry that things like HD Rumble & the IR pointer (now it's on the bottom of the controller) will have driven up price and not be used in any meaningful way, akin to the Gamepad... I doubt it'll justify a higher cost for the system.

So one dud and they now "haven't the foggiest"?

Firstly, you're incorrect but more importantly why does that matter? Everyone says the hardware is fantastic, regardless of them liking Nintendo or not.

It's not just that one dud, it's the series of continued missteps they take... online, poor software schedule (yes, I think it's poor, especially release), what I mention above. Reggie's stupid comments and other's lack of understanding when it comes to the online side of gaming.

Only the physical design of the hardware is good so far. Nothing else has suggested they're moving forward in the industry.

Edited by Kav

The hardware is well made and visually appealing, I'm not saying it isnt, but it's sorely lacking on features that other consoles have. Also, I worry that things like HD Rumble & the IR pointer (now it's on the bottom of the controller) will have driven up price and not be used in any meaningful way, akin to the Gamepad... I doubt it'll justify a higher cost for the system.

It's not just the one dud, it's the series of continued missteps they take... online, poor software schedule (yes, I think it's poor, especially release), what I mention above. Reggie's stupid comments and other's lack of understanding when it comes to the online side of gaming.

Only the physical design of the hardware is good so far. Nothing else has suggested they're moving forward in the industry.

Agreed on the features side. Unfortunately things like achievements, media apps, voice chat, online modes etc etc are things Nintendo will not take as serious as the competition does. They have had more than long enough to prove this isn't the case but just as the Eurogamer article a few months back said these things are not high on Nintendo's radar.,

Agreed on the features side. Unfortunately things like achievements, media apps, voice chat, online modes etc etc are things Nintendo will not take as serious as the competition does. They have had more than long enough to prove this isn't the case but just as the Eurogamer article a few months back said these things are not high on Nintendo's radar.,

This is probably why I'll never love Nintendo like I once did. They used to reign supreme as multiplayer kings (N64 days especially)... but with their attitude toward online gaming they'll never reach that peak again. Not when the competition do it so much better!

Granted, I'll probably keep getting their hardware as long as I can trade in their previous one for a good price, if only for Zelda and the hope of a Metroid game (where the fuck were you on WiiU Samus?! Haha).

I think the premise of the Wii U was brilliant, but the game pad was for intents and purposes tethered to the console and the Switch has resolved this. My only gripe is the frankly dismal launch line up. I'm intrigued after that comment about a lot of 3Rd party games waiting to be announced.

Yep and I think it's time for people to come to terms with that and accept it, rather than complain endlessly.
Do you see this choice as a sustainable future for Nintendo?

In a few weeks when I'm playing Zelda at 33000 feet I won't be thinking of all the things Switch can't do that my PS4 can.

Yep and I think it's time for people to come to terms with that and accept it, rather than complain endlessly.

That's an utterly poisonous way of thinking. For anything.

Just accepting what you're given is exactly what business wants from you.

But if everyone did that, without complaints. No product would ever improve over time and innovation would be even more scarce.

An 'Eh, That'll do' train of thought is just about the worst approach a customer can have.

I think it's more time for you to realise people have opinions and are ok to share them on a discussion forum.

Sure, discuss the issue, but to complain about people complaining? It's a bit silly isn't it..?

Endless complaints could be avoided if Nintendo have this online app/service work the same across the board for all their games. If they deal with it on a game by game basis however, then I can see complaints being brought up in each games individual threads.

...and thus, you'll have to suck it up.

Love this (ran out of thanks)

That's an utterly poisonous way of thinking. For anything.

Just accepting what you're given is exactly what business wants from you.

But if everyone did that, without complaints. No product would ever improve over time and innovation would be even more scarce.

An 'Eh, That'll do' train of thought is just about the worst approach a customer can have.

Absolutely, very well said.

Who knows.

I'll wait until more details come out before judging. I wouldn't have thought a standard definition console when HD was taking off would do well but the Wii proved me wrong. Likewise who expected the 3DS to demolish the much more powerful Vita?

I think it's more time for you to realise people have opinions and are ok to share them on a discussion forum.

Sure, discuss the issue, but to complain about people complaining? It's a bit silly isn't it..?

I've no problem with complaints and sharing said complaints, but when it's the 17th time the same person makes the same argument...

Nintendo aren't going to be the online-focused powerhouse you want them to be any time soon.

We should not just accept the faults of Nintendo. They need to keep getting pushed and pushed.

Region lock with the 3DS, Wii and wii u was BS. Nintendo had to be called out on this.

Pal VC games being released at 50mhz again BS and Nintendo were called out on this.

If they wasn't would they of bothered to change?

I've no problem with complaints and sharing said complaints, but when it's the 17th time the same person makes the same argument...

Then instead of complaining, ignore it! Whether it's the 17th time or 17 thousandth, if it's a valid complaint now as it was then, it's acceptable for it to be mentioned.

Outside of games I have an interest in I'll not mention it, but in games I have an interest in I'll continue to post my opinions.

And given this is new hardware, I'll post my opinions. I do have some positive ones too which I've said, it's handy being able to play on both the TV and portably, having the joycons work as 2 controllers gives more value to them. The design is lovely.

We should not just accept the faults of Nintendo. They need to keep getting pushed and pushed.

Region lock with the 3DS, Wii and wii u was BS. Nintendo had to be called out on this.

Pal VC games being released at 50mhz again BS and Nintendo were called out on this.

If they wasn't would they of bothered to change?

Again, I've ran out of thanks and I couldn't agree more.

Edited by Kav

Then instead of complaining, ignore it! Whether it's the 17th time or 17 thousandth, if it's a valid complaint now as it was then, it's acceptable for it to be mentioned.

Or do what most of us do and turn it into a running gag.

Whether it be kav's quest for decent voice chat or @Serebii taking digs at Grumpig just to annoy me and which I then consider pointing out that Bulbapedia is a really great site!

Did the Wii U allow you to download while in some kind of sleep mode like we have with the PS4 and Xbox One now? I find it so much better now being able to wake up and find updates have downloaded automatically overnight or being able to set a game to download and put the console in Rest Mode instead of leaving it running all night. Hope the Switch can do that.

Did the Wii U allow you to download while in some kind of sleep mode like we have with the PS4 and Xbox One now? I find it so much better now being able to wake up and find updates have downloaded automatically overnight or being able to set a game to download and put the console in Rest Mode instead of leaving it running all night. Hope the Switch can do that.

I'm pretty sure the WiiU did from what I recall... apart from the at 1 patch I don't really recall having to wait for any others, including downloads.

Would love to know how they are doing this? How do the margins even allow it? Seems to me more of a tactic in getting people's details and a small amount will be sold at that price.

We never truly know the price they buy in at and there could be all sorts of reasons. Don't forget they've already got a tarnished reputation(many here avoided against after the Switch reveal conference despite the price), they could have some weird secret trial deal with Nintendo or something that's given them an edge(rather speculative/conspiracy-esque), or maybe they're just taking a hit hoping to make a nice profit on the extras. Consider that BotW was said to be £60 and is already cheaper from some other places - maybe they knew they could make a nice profit on that and other games? Maybe it's a good place to take a hit and just secure some good future business, especially going back to their current reputation? They also take money up front - who knows if they try to make more money off of just simply having your money too! Could be all sorts of reasons, or just nothing at all - and I doubt we'll ever find out the truth!

Nonetheless, I'd buy at the price despite being well aware of the risks of Gameseek - I just feel confident enough that I'd know I'd be able to pursue it enough to get my money back if they fuck it all up and am not in a rush for the system so that's kinda fine by me. Also at the price if it turns out to be something not for me I know I'll stand a better chance recouping my money down the line if I opt to sell it on too.

The WiiU definitely had its sleep/rest mode with the orange light and as kav says I'm sure it could download stuff in that - but I think it was limited to game and system updates and possibly not on the same extent as that of the PS4(can't say about XBOne as I don't have one). I don't think it has the ability to log onto the web store and buy/download and push that through to a download queue though - I know with PS4(if you've got rest mode setup) you can do that; and I'd like to hope/think maybe the Switch can do the same to some extent. Of course it's a bit more redundant with the Switch as if you're taking it out and about with you as a portable then you surely needn't be remotely pushing stuff to it in that instance!

Edited by Rummy

I already addressed this once in recent weeks but I'm saying it one last time - stop making posts in here that are just complaining about complaining. Don't complain(alolol) you weren't warned(twice) when I take any action.