NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Who knows, maybe it is the first mk battle mode you played will always set the standard and anything else will fall short?

Well the SNES MK was my first and I still prefer 64's. That's mainly due to Block Fort and the ability to play with 3 friends.

You know if I played MK64 again I might change my mind, but the first (and only) time I played it I just found the controls felt sloppy. The only N64 game I think I genuinely enjoyed was ssb, so it probably counts as the most disappointing Nintendo console for me, with the Wii not far off.

SMK, MK64, MKDS and MKDD all had Battle modes I really liked!

My favorite battle arenas in those are:

Battlecourse 1 - 4 (SMK)

Block Fort, Double Deck, Skyscraper (MK64)

Luigi's Mansion and Pipe Plaza (MKDD)

Twilight House (MKDS)

You know if I played MK64 again I might change my mind, but the first (and only) time I played it I just found the controls felt sloppy. The only N64 game I think I genuinely enjoyed was ssb, so it probably counts as the most disappointing Nintendo console for me, with the Wii not far off.

You must have ridiculously high standards if the N64 was your most disappointing Nintendo console.

Lylat Wars, Goldeneye, WWF No Mercy (The best wrestling game of all time), Wrestlemania 2000, Mario Kart 64, OCARINA OF FUCKING TIME, Majora's Mask, PERFECT DARK, Mario Tennis, Super Mario 64, Paper Mario, etc, etc.

Perfect Dark alone makes it one of the best Nintendo consoles. Sickening amount of content, especially in multiplayer. 4 player split screen PLUS bots that you can actually assign to teams. You could even issue commands to the bots on the fly. Co-op and counter-op story gameplay. Excellent cut-scenes. Hnnnnggg.

It's that sort of quality that's missing from current Nintendo systems. RARE were in god mode on that console. It's a shame that Retro aren't being put to good use.

You must have ridiculously high standards if the N64 was your most disappointing Nintendo console.

Lylat Wars, Goldeneye, WWF No Mercy (The best wrestling game of all time), Wrestlemania 2000, Mario Kart 64, OCARINA OF FUCKING TIME, Majora's Mask, PERFECT DARK, Mario Tennis, Super Mario 64, Paper Mario, etc, etc.

Perfect Dark alone makes it one of the best Nintendo consoles. Sickening amount of content, especially in multiplayer. 4 player split screen PLUS bots that you can actually assign to teams. You could even issue commands to the bots on the fly. Co-op and counter-op story gameplay. Excellent cut-scenes. Hnnnnggg.

It's that sort of quality that's missing from current Nintendo systems. RARE were in god mode on that console. It's a shame that Retro aren't being put to good use.

You assume I gave it a fair chance ;) I was young and didn't persevere. Once Mario 64, Mario Kart 64 and and Lylat wars didn't meet my expectations the N64 became irrelevant to me (they were sequels to my favourite snes games).

The fact that my 3 favourite games had sequels that failed to grip me guaranteed I wasn't buying the console which wiped away it's chance at wooing me.

Tbh the Wii being my second least favourite console is actually probably more of an insult against it as, given my circumstances, it should have been up there fighting with the GC to be my favourite console so far

Edited by Pestneb

Going back to Super Mario Kart and MK64 these days; I find MK64 easy to control and the snes version very difficult.

Going back to Super Mario Kart and MK64 these days; I find MK64 easy to control and the snes version very difficult.

I played snes mk before mk8, and it was great! I played MK8 for a few weeks... then tried to go back to mk snes... and I agree with your assessment now. But I still love the music (no doubt 100% due to nostalgia :P)

I played snes mk before mk8, and it was great! I played MK8 for a few weeks... then tried to go back to mk snes... and I agree with your assessment now. But I still love the music (no doubt 100% due to nostalgia :P)

Yeah so did I. I grew up on MK snes. :P

But yeah the tracks, music and general feel of MK snes is great. I just can't play it very well any more.

The SNES and N64 Battle Modes are both superb and have never been match since. Double Dash started the decline with poor stages and, from what I remember, awkward steering in tight spaces.

If I had to pick a favourite, it's be Mario Kart 64 due to having a 4-Player option and the excellent levels to battle in! If they dropped that straight into Mario Kart 8 with updated visuals, it would be a blast online :grin:

You assume I gave it a fair chance ;) I was young and didn't persevere. Once Mario 64, Mario Kart 64 and and Lylat wars didn't meet my expectations the N64 became irrelevant to me (they were sequels to my favourite snes games).

The fact that my 3 favourite games had sequels that failed to grip me guaranteed I wasn't buying the console which wiped away it's chance at wooing me.

Tbh the Wii being my second least favourite console is actually probably more of an insult against it as, given my circumstances, it should have been up there fighting with the GC to be my favourite console so far

I forgive you, but you're still a nutcase as those three sequels that you mentioned were far superior to their originals, imo. I liked Starwing, but LOVED Lylat Wars. Mario Kart 64 was tons better than Mario Kart SNES for me. Hmm, Super Mario All Stars or Super Mario 64? That's a close one.

Still, you should build a time machine so that you can go back into the past and hate your younger self in person. The N64 is perhaps the only console I would actually slaughter a man for disliking. I swear to God-

I forgive you, but you're still a nutcase as those three sequels that you mentioned were far superior to their originals, imo. I liked Starwing, but LOVED Lylat Wars. Mario Kart 64 was tons better than Mario Kart SNES for me. Hmm, Super Mario All Stars or Super Mario 64? That's a close one.

Still, you should build a time machine so that you can go back into the past and hate your younger self in person. The N64 is perhaps the only console I would actually slaughter a man for disliking. I swear to God-

Ok well in that case I'll try to remember to never meet you in person!

I think it was probably because I was so used to navigating with d-pads and I didn't "get" analogue controls when they were first introduced, being young I didn't give them a chance. If I had gone back to lylat wars/MK64 after having played smash a bit I may have reassessed my opinion of them.

Back on topic, I agree the NX needs 3rd party support. If Nintendo don't get it they need to find another way to get a wide range of genres.

N64 was Nintendo's most epic console in terms of games. A true powerhouse; a console never to be denied.

It's a shame that Retro aren't being put to good use.

Unfortunately, the Retro that developed the Metroid Prime games doesn't really exist anymore. After Prime 3, three of the studio's key people (director, art director, and principle technology engineer) left to form their own studio, which is probably the main reason they've been relegated to Donkey Kong games since then (not that there's anything wrong with Donkey Kong, but I don't think it's nearly as impressive as the Prime Trilogy). They're currently developing a new Wii U game though, so fingers crossed that it's something interesting.

Sadly, the new studio that the former retro employees founded (Armature) has pretty much just been porting games to different platforms since their founding. Although, interestingly, one of their current projects involves porting Unreal Engine 4 to the Wii U, which they say they will make available to other Wii U developers once complete. They also have a new original IP in development to be released in 2016, but not much is known about it aside from being a space themed multi-directional shooter for the PC and PS4.

N64 was Nintendo's most epic console in terms of games. A true powerhouse; a console never to be denied.

For it's time. I feel it's aged so badly, that whole generation has.

I loved the N64, it has some of my favourite memories, it was the first console I bought with my own money, between I play it now, barring the odd game, it's pretty painful.

Well yeah it was transitional. It was an industry re-finding it's feet so it's bound to be ropey in retrospect, but it was ambitious.

For it's time. I feel it's aged so badly, that whole generation has.

I loved the N64, it has some of my favourite memories, it was the first console I bought with my own money, between I play it now, barring the odd game, it's pretty painful.

If a generation of games wows you like nothing else ever has than what does it matter if in 20 years it doesn't feel as good? Just because games age, it doesn't detract from their status as being god tier.

Edited by Sheikah

Ok well in that case I'll try to remember to never meet you in person!

I think it was probably because I was so used to navigating with d-pads and I didn't "get" analogue controls when they were first introduced, being young I didn't give them a chance. If I had gone back to lylat wars/MK64 after having played smash a bit I may have reassessed my opinion of them.

Back on topic, I agree the NX needs 3rd party support. If Nintendo don't get it they need to find another way to get a wide range of genres.

The point you make about analogue sticks is true. I remember taking a while to adjust to that freedom of movement. Also, everything going from 2D to 3D confused me a little. I felt like I was actually living about 20 years into the future the first time I played Lylat Wars and saw that water in the first level.

Ocarina of Time ruined me when I saw that field. :D

Unfortunately, the Retro that developed the Metroid Prime games doesn't really exist anymore. After Prime 3, three of the studio's key people (director, art director, and principle technology engineer) left to form their own studio, which is probably the main reason they've been relegated to Donkey Kong games since then (not that there's anything wrong with Donkey Kong, but I don't think it's nearly as impressive as the Prime Trilogy). They're currently developing a new Wii U game though, so fingers crossed that it's something interesting.

Sadly, the new studio that the former retro employees founded (Armature) has pretty much just been porting games to different platforms since their founding. Although, interestingly, one of their current projects involves porting Unreal Engine 4 to the Wii U, which they say they will make available to other Wii U developers once complete. They also have a new original IP in development to be released in 2016, but not much is known about it aside from being a space themed multi-directional shooter for the PC and PS4.

I didn't actually know that. How sad. So, the Retro we have now aren't the same as the Retro that made Metroid Prime? I wonder what they are working on.

Eek, that's a bit of a negative assessment. These roles would have been filled by you'd imagine equally capable talent (art director certainly was, by Eric Kozloski who worked on Uncharted). It's unacceptable to correlate staff members leaving with a decision to follow up with DKC.

You know, I think in the early days of Wii U studios just weren't prepared for the transition to HD and so leaner projects were chosen to ensure there was some support.

http://www.destructoid.com/ea-will-evaluate-any-and-all-opportunities-with-nintendo-going-forward-318410.phtml?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Remember when EA came out on stage with a massive amount of support for Nintendo's Wii U at its first E3, and then basically ran off into the night in 2013 without so much as port support? A lot of third-parties have flocked from the Wii U actually (Ubisoft included), but evidently EA is looking at what Nintendo can bring to the table in the future.

Regarding striking up a new relationship with Nintendo, EA CEO Andrew Wilson had this to say:

And as it relates to Nintendo, we’ve had a tremendous relationship with them over the years. And we will evaluate any and all opportunities with them, in the same way we do all platform opportunities.

Though the source has named the NX as part of the conversation, it was never specifically mentioned by Wilson, so we'll have to wait and see what happens. Nintendo is in such a weird spot -- the 3DS is doing great, the Wii U is kind of there, and it has two completely new markets on the horizon. 2016 will be a very interesting year for them

If a generation of games wows you like nothing else ever has than what does it matter if in 20 years it doesn't feel as good? Just because games age, it doesn't detract from their status as being god tier.

Don't fully agree, the best games, like the best films and art and music remain classics. Some art is a product of its time, and it has nostalgia for the people who experienced at the time (again same with certain stuff in other mediums) but it does stop it from being god tier (well, other than the fact it's all subjective).

Eek, that's a bit of a negative assessment. These roles would have been filled by you'd imagine equally capable talent (art director certainly was, by Eric Kozloski who worked on Uncharted). It's unacceptable to correlate staff members leaving with a decision to follow up with DKC.

You know, I think in the early days of Wii U studios just weren't prepared for the transition to HD and so leaner projects were chosen to ensure there was some support.

Exactly, a few people left a company so "they're not the same" every company in the world has people leave, it's not exactly an exodus, and it's like Tropical Freeze isn't an incredible game...

Exactly, a few people left a company so "they're not the same" every company in the world has people leave, it's not exactly an exodus, and it's like Tropical Freeze isn't an incredible game...

Will people say the same when the next Metal Gear doesn't have Kojima attached?

The DKCR games have been really good but they're totally different to Metroid Prime.

Don't fully agree, the best games, like the best films and art and music remain classics. Some art is a product of its time, and it has nostalgia for the people who experienced at the time (again same with certain stuff in other mediums) but it does stop it from being god tier (well, other than the fact it's all subjective).

Films don't tend to suffer from framerate issues, blocky models and lack of twin sticks to control a character, do they?

We have moved on considerably from the early 3D days but that doesn't mean we shouldn't give credit where it is due. Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Smash, Mario Kart (in 3D). These were genius creations and the generation deserves full credit for what has essentially served as the archetype for Nintendo's bread and butter franchises ever since.

Edited by Sheikah

Bro, you can't just not say Banjo Kazooie. Also, Body Harvest, Blast Corps, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Turok, Rogue Squadron, Episode One: Pod Racer, WCW/NWO Revenge (No Mercy's predecessor). Lets face it the N64 is the reason a lot of us are on this forum.

Bro, you can't just not say Banjo Kazooie. Also, Body Harvest, Blast Corps, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Turok, Rogue Squadron, Episode One: Pod Racer, WCW/NWO Revenge (No Mercy's predecessor). Lets face it the N64 is the reason a lot of us are on this forum.

That's my point though. There were tons of fantastic games.

Also, you missed Wave Race 64 and 1080 Snowboarding. :heh:

Yup, the reason I'm on here is because of the transitional period between N64 and GameCube. Think I came here looking for Zelda wallpapers as Ocarina and Majora both made me lose my shit.