NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Such a shame Zelda isn't a Switch exclusive, but as you say, had to be on Wii U as well sadly.

Yeah. Still, nice of them to release it on the Wii U for those who don't want to upgrade. They could have easily scrapped it and just had the one version.

Yeah. Still, nice of them to release it on the Wii U for those who don't want to upgrade. They could have easily scrapped it and just had the one version.

I was fully expecting them to release the Wii U version a week or two later. It'll hurt Switch sales releasing it on the same day, but is the decent thing to do.

I think Mario needs a lot more development work and had no chance of making launch regardless. Let it cook.

I'm not so sure. I really suspect it is a Wii U title that didn't get announced before the unofficial death of the Wii U. They had to move Zelda publicly because it had been announced... but they were able to move Mario quietly. I'm sure they are still adding polish etc but the rumours may have come from it being READY for launch, even if it won't be released for then.

Had they launched with Mario I imagine the reception would have been a lot more positive. Some people are looking to pick the Switch up once that arrives.

I think a big problem is that Zelda is on the Wii U as well as the Switch. A lot of folks seem to be happy to play that on the Wii U, rather than fork out for a new console. Ideally it should have been a Switch exclusive but that means Wii U owners would have been screwed over. They left themselves in a tricky position.

Nintendo really should of had a AAA launch game built from the ground up on the Switch. Even a short Luigi's Mansion type game - anything really to break away from BOTW...

Even a short Luigi's Mansion type game

It's not AAA but you know... that might have got me hooked in!

That's why I'm hoping Fast RMX makes launch, it'll be perfect for cooling off between sessions of Zelda.

Metroid Switch for launch; biggest missed opportunity :sad: :sad: :sad:

That would've caught the interest of a very large long lost Nintendo fanbase...

Even more so than Mario I think. Not sales wise, but prospect and marketing wise

Even more so than Mario I think. Not sales wise, but prospect and marketing wise

But Nintendo don't need that at launch they'll need it next year, maybe this; and I imagine we'll get it then too.

I think the Switch hardware being so good and the gimmick being so clever bodes well for the future, at least compared to the Wii U. Even if it struggles for sales after the initial few months until Mario arrives, the core concept of the system is appealing. The Wii U got great games over the years but the system itself just wasn't particularly attractive; no one cared about the Gamepad so it didn't sell. If the Switch develops a big library of quality games in the next couple of years then this thing should have legs, sales wise as it's on a much stronger foundation than the Wii U ever had.

It certainly would have sent a message. Until I see Metroid or F-Zero (particularly the former), I can't be 100% certain this isn't just the same Nintendo that rehashes Smash Bros and Mario Kart (and now Splatoon) every generation as their "big" games. We need to be assured there's still the budget for a 3rd or 4th series as major and ambitious as 3D Mario and Zelda. My preference would be Metroid and Kid Icarus filling those roles.

It certainly would have sent a message. Until I see Metroid or F-Zero (particularly the former), I can't be 100% certain this isn't just the same Nintendo that rehashes Smash Bros and Mario Kart (and now Splatoon) every generation as their "big" games. We need to be assured there's still the budget for a 3rd or 4th series as major and ambitious as 3D Mario and Zelda. My preference would be Metroid and Kid Icarus filling those roles.

Agreed. Also includes the likes of Wave Race, Excitetrucks and 1080... in fact the more I think on it the more irritable I get - How could they not think of having a 'side' launch game!?

For me, with my Japanese GC it was Wave Race, with the Wii it was Wii Sports, Wii U Nintendoland. Hope Nintendo have some sort of ace up their sleeve to be this relaxed.

[TWEET]823623094266953728[/TWEET]

The quality of the screen will really help with word of mouth and viral marketing.

Am surprised Nintendo delivered on the screen quality to be honest. The viewing angles and vibrant colors are what will see people notice when others are using one out in the wild.

If I knew nothing of this and saw someone using it playing MK or Zelda I would be blown away and suddenly a smartphone would look like kids play for games.

Watch someone with this and you wont be able to keep your eyes off it.

Edited by liger05

Yeah that screen looks amazing. My tablet is a bit outdated and slow, so it's pretty awesome that this console will give me a bonus way to watch Netflix etc portably, in bed, on a plane and such, and at a nice high resolution! Really looking forward to that. In fact, that must be a key selling point for them, buy a console, get a modern, fast, high res tablet with media apps, built right in!

Post contains sarcasm.

Yeah the red/blue Switch is strangely appealing.

I wonder if someone at Nintendo wasn't concentrating when putting Red/Blue joycons back on the early console and had a eureka moment :p

I think Mario needs a lot more development work and had no chance of making launch regardless. Let it cook.

Kapeora (I never remember how to spell that) did suggest that perhaps they're different colours for families so kids can go "I'll have the red one, you have the blue one". Neat idea.

Agreed. Also includes the likes of Wave Race, Excitetrucks and 1080... in fact the more I think on it the more irritable I get - How could they not think of having a 'side' launch game!?

For me, with my Japanese GC it was Wave Race, with the Wii it was Wii Sports, Wii U Nintendoland. Hope Nintendo have some sort of ace up their sleeve to be this relaxed.

I guess they see the side game as 1-2 switch or Bomberman or something, but I think either Mario Kart or Splatoon (or ARMS actually) would've been perfect - epic single player game, cool multiplayer for people to play.

As for Wave race and Excitebike, and F Zero and 1080 for people who want that; they have a series of games that don't get made much, and will target a very different demographic. They have their fan base, how big that is who knows, but it would be incredible to see new versions of those... please Nintendo, you have loads more developement time now you have one platform, give us the niche titles!!!

Though with them all being racing game, they'll have to spread them out.... Wave Race first please!!!!

I think I've said this before but I think Nintendo should have tried to get one of the free to play MMOs onto the system for launch. I know its harder with the handheld side but an MMO would give people something to always be coming back to while they wait for new games. That or an Animal Crossing at launch would have kept people on the system daily. Maybe we'll get lucky and Animal Crossing Gamecube will be available at launch...

1. Metroid

2. Wave Race

3. Excite Anything

4. Advance Wars

5. F-Zero

6. Kid Icarus

7. 1080

8. Luigi's Mansion

9. Ice Climbers

10. Wario World

11. Donkey Kong

12. Kirby

13. Yoshi

14. Animal Crossing

15. Star Fox

16. Punch Out!!

17. Mother

18. Pikmin

19. Cpt. Toad

20. Golden Sun

21. S.T.E.A.M.

22. Sports, Fit, Music

23. Pokemon

24. Pilotwings

25 Nintendoland

26. Game & Watch

27. Boxboy

28. Brain Age

29. Chibi-Robo

30. Steeldiver

31. Dogs & Cats

32. Startropics

33. Sengeki Reginleiv

34. Sin & Punishment

35. Starfy

36. Doshin

37. Puzzle League

38. Trauma Team

39. Wrecking Crew

And I'm sure I missed many more...

Of course a lot of these are a stretch but I feel the Switch launch missed a huge opportunity to really surprise their core fanbase. It feels save but at the same time it could be another step that alienates some of the loyal fanbase that fell in love during the 80's/90's

1. Metroid

2. Wave Race

3. Excite Anything

4. Advance Wars

5. F-Zero

6. Kid Icarus

7. 1080

8. Luigi's Mansion

9. Ice Climbers

10. Wario World

11. Donkey Kong

12. Kirby

13. Yoshi

14. Animal Crossing

15. Star Fox

16. Punch Out!!

17. Mother

18. Pikmin

19. Cpt. Toad

20. Golden Sun

21. S.T.E.A.M.

22. Sports, Fit, Music

23. Pokemon

24. Pilotwings

25 Nintendoland

26. Game & Watch

27. Boxboy

28. Brain Age

29. Chibi-Robo

30. Steeldiver

31. Dogs & Cats

32. Startropics

33. Sengeki Reginleiv

34. Sin & Punishment

35. Starfy

36. Doshin

37. Puzzle League

38. Trauma Team

39. Wrecking Crew

And I'm sure I missed many more...

Of course a lot of these are a stretch but I feel the Switch launch missed a huge opportunity to really surprise their core fanbase. It feels save but at the same time it could be another step that alienates some of the loyal fanbase that fell in love during the 80's/90's

40. latest?cb=20140316074310&path-prefix=en

With the likes of wave race, 1080, Fzero all they need to do is remaster the old games and stick them on 1 disc. Most people would be happy to get 2 remastered games (n64+gc) for £30-40

With the likes of wave race, 1080, Fzero all they need to do is remaster the old games and stick them on 1 disc. Most people would be happy to get 2 remastered games (n64+gc) for £30-40

Let's be honest. We'd pay £50 for just a GameCube remaster.

Let's be honest. We'd pay £50 for just a GameCube remaster.

Sure if you're buying it for us...

Just a warning for anyone who preordered with Amazon (some may already know this as I dont think its new), people have been reporting that if they change their address on their preorder or add a gift card to it then it resets their preorder in the queue and some of them are no longer guaranteed for 3rd March.