NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

One thing for me and the Switch not having media streaming is that if I ever plan on going out and think I may stream something etc then I'm never going to want to take a tablet and the Switch to weigh my bag down. I might have chosen to just bring the Switch with my so I could play Zelda as well but now I'll just be leaving the Switch at home and taking the iPad instead.

Another game will be ready for launch.

I AM SETSUNA COMING TO NINTENDO SWITCH ON MARCH 3

Game to be Fully Playable on the go in Handheld Mode for the First Time

LOS ANGELES (Jan. 23, 2017) -- Nintendo Switch players will soon enjoy the unforgettable and heartfelt story of I AM SETSUNA, the debut title from Tokyo RPG Factory, SQUARE ENIX’s newest studio. It will be available as a digital day one launch title, and will include exclusive new features such as the “Temporal Battle Arena,” where players can enjoy thrilling battles against other players’ parties

Gutted we are missing out on the boxed version. If I went ahead with a Switch purchase I certainly would have snapped it up but now.... :(

I just threw together a video covering my thoughts on the Switch so far.

Hope it sparks a bit of debate :)

One thing for me and the Switch not having media streaming is that if I ever plan on going out and think I may stream something etc then I'm never going to want to take a tablet and the Switch to weigh my bag down. I might have chosen to just bring the Switch with my so I could play Zelda as well but now I'll just be leaving the Switch at home and taking the iPad instead.

Exactly, this is the point I was trying to make. Being a tablet-like device, now more than ever Nintendo should have been focused on those kind of extras.

From a buyers perspective, if you're thinking of buying a tablet or Switch, knowing the Switch has an internet browser and a bunch of streaming servcies as well as decent games might sway you that way but if you hear it only plays games compared to the mass multi-functionality of a tablet, it will potentially lose out.

I dunno, when I'm buying a games console I usually want to know if it will play games and if they will be decent. I'm not sure many people picked up a PS4 or 3DS based on whether they could surf the web on it.

Like you said, every device has basic web browsing features in 2017. Soon you will be probably be able to stream from your dog. Is it REALLY necessary? Is it really going to be the thing that forces a huge number of people to not buy a Switch? Time will tell.

But why not be both? At the minute the games it will play won't pick up until later in the year aside from a few ports and ARMS so some extra features would give me more reason to use the £280 gadget I just purchased.

And yeah, soon you will be able to stream from your dog and not from a Switch. What I mean is, the Switch is clearly lacking features that nearly every other device has, I just don't see how this is not a glaring problem, especially as it could be such a huge selling point for a tablet device.

I get your point that it's not for you and that's great. What I don't buy is the fact that masses dont care as I really think they do. It's just one of those things that Nintendo could have easily implemented but instead choose to shoot themselves in the foot.

Nice reaction video to the Switch events in London, the US and Japan...

Ditto. I also needed a ninth web browser to browse the internet on. Stupid Nintendo

It's about adding functionality to the console. If they have 10-12 big hitters lined up for 2017, cool we can forgive them, we have other things to do on the console. But if we have no games.. it is redundant.

I hate my phone browser, Wii U browser is good but tethered to the console, 3ds browser was ok but increasingly not able to handle many websites.

not sure on the new 3ds browser. But if the switch had an internet browser, I WOULD have purchased it, basically as a tablet with future Nintendo catalogue. Having done that I would have easily gone for BotW Switch.

Basically, so far it looks like a lacking line up (hopefully that will be fixed at E3) and nothing to make up for that. Fortunately Nintendo have a good 5/6 Million hardcore fans who will buy in regardless, so it isn't important. The actual Switch launch is in Autumn, I might get it then, but I don't see myself getting the beta release.

It's about adding functionality to the console. If they have 10-12 big hitters lined up for 2017, cool we can forgive them, we have other things to do on the console. But if we have no games.. it is redundant.

I hate my phone browser, Wii U browser is good but tethered to the console, 3ds browser was ok but increasingly not able to handle many websites.

not sure on the new 3ds browser. But if the switch had an internet browser, I WOULD have purchased it, basically as a tablet with future Nintendo catalogue. Having done that I would have easily gone for BotW Switch.

Basically, so far it looks like a lacking line up (hopefully that will be fixed at E3) and nothing to make up for that. Fortunately Nintendo have a good 5/6 Million hardcore fans who will buy in regardless, so it isn't important. The actual Switch launch is in Autumn, I might get it then, but I don't see myself getting the beta release.

10-12 big hitters in year 1? That's a big ask.

10-12 big hitters in year 1? That's a big ask.

Thats the number of an entire generations big hitters lol.

No resident evil doe...

No resident evil doe...

Maybe down the line if the platform sells.

"We can forgive them". You're kidding, right? This console has had hundreds, if not thousands, of people work on it, and hundreds, of not thousands, of livelihoods depend on it. People have poured time, energy, blood, sweat and tears into this thing. And we have to forgive them?

As for 10-12 big hitters, let's have a look at the confirmed, potential and rumoured "big hitter" titles (totally subjective, of course) for 2017 - which would not cover the launch year - shall we?

Confirmed

• Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

• Splatoon 2

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

• Fire Emblem Warriors

Super Mario Odyssey

Potential (announced)

• ARMS

1-2 Switch

• Shovel Knight

Minecraft

• Minecraft Story Mode

• Skyrim

Potential (rumoured/not dated)

• Pokémon Stars

Smash

• Metroid/Donkey Kong (Retro Studios Project)

• Project Octopath Traveller (2017?)

• Project Sonic 2017

• Pikmin

• Mother 3 (GBA VC)

• Melee (GC VC)

• Skyward Sword (Wii VC)

• Pokémon Gold/Silver (GBC VC)

And so on.

Simply adding Pikmin 4 would have made for a great launch... Didn't 3 come out in 2013? Wonder why its taken so long. IIRC the space between 1 and 2 was two years (?)

Simply adding Pikmin 4 would have made for a great launch... Didn't 3 come out in 2013? Wonder why its taken so long. IIRC the space between 1 and 2 was two years (?)

Yeah but the space between 2 and 3 was about 9 so... :heh:

If only there was some service that brings things right to your house! :p

Sell the Wii U on ebay, buy the Switch online.... Get a much better deal than the shafting you get from trading with high street gaming retailers.

Dude... now you're asking @kav82 to go to the post office!

Make sure you sell it 'collect from seller' only Kav ;) Although you will still have to answer the door x

Pikmin 4 is coming on the 3DS this year

Pikmin 4 is coming on the 3DS this year

Hell to the no, is that (decent looking) side-scroller my beloved Pikmin 4.

No resident evil doe...

Ok.. maybe not "Big hitters" but solid games (it is subjective thing anyway).

For me the gamecube achieved it. So far (and I appreciate we only have a hopefully small slice of the 2017 library announced) for me the switch only has 2 games announced that I can't get on the Wii U.

I'm waiting for the other 6 or 8 titles that interest me (obviously this IS subjective)

I'm waiting for the other 6 or 8 titles that interest me (obviously this IS subjective)

Fair-dos man. I understand how underwhelming the launch appears to a lot of people at the moment. Its strange, as the loudest rumours of last year were that Nintendo were going to launch big... To the point where we were discussing if its a good idea to launch with both Mario and BOTW.

Mario and Zelda would have been enough to subdue folks into buying.

Fair-dos man. I understand how underwhelming the launch appears to a lot of people at the moment. Its strange, as the loudest rumours of last year were that Nintendo were going to launch big... To the point where we were discussing if its a good idea to launch with both Mario and BOTW.

Mario and Zelda would have been enough to subdue folks into buying.

Had they launched with Mario I imagine the reception would have been a lot more positive. Some people are looking to pick the Switch up once that arrives.

I think a big problem is that Zelda is on the Wii U as well as the Switch. A lot of folks seem to be happy to play that on the Wii U, rather than fork out for a new console. Ideally it should have been a Switch exclusive but that means Wii U owners would have been screwed over. They left themselves in a tricky position.

Everytime I see the blue/red Switch in hands-on videos, I want it more. I'm almost annoyed I pre-ordered the grey one now, when a couple of weeks ago I would have never considered the coloured one.

"We can forgive them". You're kidding, right? This console has had hundreds, if not thousands, of people work on it, and hundreds, of not thousands, of livelihoods depend on it. People have poured time, energy, blood, sweat and tears into this thing. And we have to forgive them?

Haha. Yeah actually I wasn't being serious with that wording.

But I don't care about the livelihoods (seriously, you buy EVERYTHING that has livelihoods "depend on it"?????), nor most of those games you listed. To me there is Splatoon 2 and mario odyssey. I'm not going to base a purchase decision on a rumour so unannounced games may as well not exist.

So right now, if I bought a switch it would be £400 for 2 games. Keep in mind that my Wii U cost £200 with 3 games....

I find it quite funny how defensive people are about the switch already :D

I think Nintendo are good for 4 million Switches before E3 hits. With past precedents set with their manufacturing, I suspect even with the "gaps" they present us with, the switch will be in amiibo mode till E3. It's after E3 it will sink or swim. If it swims I may pick one up when splatoon2/Mario launch.

Had they launched with Mario I imagine the reception would have been a lot more positive. Some people are looking to pick the Switch up once that arrives.

I think a big problem is that Zelda is on the Wii U as well as the Switch. A lot of folks seem to be happy to play that on the Wii U, rather than fork out for a new console. Ideally it should have been a Switch exclusive but that means Wii U owners would have been screwed over. They left themselves in a tricky position.

Such a shame Zelda isn't a Switch exclusive, but as you say, had to be on Wii U as well sadly.

Yeah the red/blue Switch is strangely appealing.

I wonder if someone at Nintendo wasn't concentrating when putting Red/Blue joycons back on the early console and had a eureka moment :p

I think Mario needs a lot more development work and had no chance of making launch regardless. Let it cook.