NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

For me, the main draws for the switch could have been the internet browser (not coming apparently), Zelda (£20 extra and I feel they just delayed the Wii U version to coincide with the switch release), Mario kart 8 (£50 for 1080p and battle mode dlc....no thanks). Splatoon 2 with online subscription.... the price of the console just isn't justified for me so far. But perhaps, with a limited supply, that is almost the aim. if they sell out, mission complete. They just need to get new units out asap and get those sold too.

I like the Switch launch line-up more than the Wii and Wii U, but not the 3DS. My reasoning: the Wii felt a bit insulting, personally, as I'd been waiting for Twilight Princess on GC and they delayed it one week for us. Wii U was a bit uninspiring - I think they misunderstood the sort of software gamers buy a new, expensive console for.

With Switch, there is at least one game I want to play more than any of the Wii U launch titles. Plus, unlike the Twilight Princess situation, I'd slightly rather play it on the newer console. So I do want the Switch earlier than I wanted the Wii or Wii U (neither of which I bought at launch), but I do agree with @markderoos that there's just a slightly strange feeling about it. For me, it seems quite mercenary - high price, lacking a huge amount of features, no word on eShop/Virtual Console etc.

I'm definitely less excited for the Switch launch than I was for the Wii U, with the Wii U it was the first Nintendo console I had ever been able to buy myself on launch day so I was really keen to get one. Launch day was mostly disappointing though because I suffered severe problems in connecting my Wii U to my wifi and it took a few hours before all of the firmware updates had downloaded and I was able to actually play it. I had fun playing Mario, Nintendoland and ZombiU with my cousin and a couple of my friends who came round later in the day but in hindsight it didn't live up to the excitement and after completing Mario & ZombiU I never really played the console consistently until a few months later when the software selection picked up a bit.

The negatives of that launch day are definitely helping to temper my expectations for the Switch, I'm excited to get one but I'm trying to be more realistic about it that I was with the Wii U launch, there's no guarantee that my excitement won't build out of all proportion over the next few weeks though.

I'm definitely less excited for the Switch launch than I was for the Wii U, with the Wii U it was the first Nintendo console I had ever been able to buy myself on launch day so I was really keen to get one. Launch day was mostly disappointing though because I suffered severe problems in connecting my Wii U to my wifi and it took a few hours before all of the firmware updates had downloaded and I was able to actually play it. I had fun playing Mario, Nintendoland and ZombiU with my cousin and a couple of my friends who came round later in the day but in hindsight it didn't live up to the excitement and after completing Mario & ZombiU I never really played the console consistently until a few months later when the software selection picked up a bit.

The negatives of that launch day are definitely helping to temper my expectations for the Switch, I'm excited to get one but I'm trying to be more realistic about it that I was with the Wii U launch, there's no guarantee that my excitement won't build out of all proportion over the next few weeks though.

I think with the Type of game BOTW is there will be more staying power than any off the Us launch line up. If they maintain a monthly first party release schedule it shouldn't feel as droughty as say the Wii's launch after TP was done with.

The wii u left a sour taste in my mouth day 1.

The UI and OS really made for such a bad user experience I just didn't really want to use it. The speed was disgraceful and I felt like I was using a new console which was worse than my 360. You didn't even have a VC to get some games. It was pretty damn abysmal.

With the switch I think that me using it 90% as handheld really keep me happy. It's a huge leap from my 3DS.

http://nintendoeverything.com/ea-exe...third-parties/

“I only spoke about FIFA today, but our company’s structure lets us release all sorts of games for every platform, so we’ll go wherever the gamers go. I think Nintendo Switch will put Nintendo at the forefront of the game industry once again. Their approach is quite different from anything they’ve done in the past – they’ve listened to EA, Activision, and other companies since the beginning of the Switch’s development, so we’ve been involved throughout the whole process. They teamed up with us because they wanted to guarantee the console would be successful. Doing business with Nintendo is very important for us… We’d like to bring more and more games over for everyone.”

Good to hear Nintendo have been talking to third parties.

It's just a question of hardware selling to get third parties developing games.

Edited by liger05

I think the biggest difference is that last time I was excited for the hardware but not necessarily the software, whereas this time the majority of my excitement is for Breath Of The Wild and I want the Switch mostly because it will be the best way to play it. I'm more optimistic about the launch window line up than I am about the launch day line up though, I'll definitely be picking up Fast RMX and Snipperclips in March, with Arms and Mario Kart to follow in April/May. Might have picked up Bomberman is the price was at all reasonable and I wasn't so intent on picking up a Pro Controller, thankfully my brother is picking up a Switch on launch too so we're going to go halves on 1 2 Switch so I should have something else to play in downtime between Zelda sessions on launch weekend.

I think the biggest difference is that last time I was excited for the hardware but not necessarily the software, whereas this time the majority of my excitement is for Breath Of The Wild and I want the Switch mostly because it will be the best way to play it. I'm more optimistic about the launch window line up than I am about the launch day line up though, I'll definitely be picking up Fast RMX and Snipperclips in March, with Arms and Mario Kart to follow in April/May. Might have picked up Bomberman is the price was at all reasonable and I wasn't so intent on picking up a Pro Controller, thankfully my brother is picking up a Switch on launch too so we're going to go halves on 1 2 Switch so I should have something else to play in downtime between Zelda sessions on launch weekend.

Same - The launch window is quite satisfying for people who skipped a lot of the Wii U offerings.

I was mostly excited for ZombiU on WiiU's launch day - and it was a game I really enjoyed, though it has since dated pretty terribly.

I'm slowly getting excited for Zelda but that's more of the WiiU's swan song than the birth of the Switch, for me at least.

To be totally honest, I was most excited by the switch hardware. The software on it is by far the least compelling. Zelda is interesting, but the game is on the Wii U... the graphical boost is nice, and portability sounds great, but in real terms I question if it is worth £20 extra + a new console. 1, 2 switch would be a nice pack in game, but for me right now I don't see it being a game I would get to use much. Arms has a few people excited... splatoon interested me a lot, but arms really doesn't appeal that much right now.

As for the hardware, I like it, it seems moderately well powered, reports point to it being comfy, battery seems ok and it looks good. It just needs some compelling software. For me right now, that software would be internet browser... and from the announced line up constructor, mario odyssey, BotW if the price drops before I decide to buy the Wii U version... and 2 or 3 other games. 4 or 5 if I purchase BotW on the Wii U.

I'm coming round to the fact that the launch up isn't horrific; most people will be getting it for Zelda, if you don't want it for Zelda than waiting isn't a huge problem, but in under 2 months there'll be Zelda, Mario Kart and Arms, that's not bad for first part games, plus a batch if Indies and such. I think a steady stream of games is infinitely more important that a 30 game launch for example. My only concern is what is there for May/June/July? They need games here - August Splatoon, then Hyrule Warriors, Mario, Xenoblade 2 (yeah right) likely Pokemon, Smash and surely another surprise (though already looks a bit congested).

It's this steady flow of first party games which it needs, a few months of no big game and the sales will drop, the bad news will start and people will be thinking - here we go again!!

I'm coming round to the fact that the launch up isn't horrific; most people will be getting it for Zelda, if you don't want it for Zelda than waiting isn't a huge problem, but in under 2 months there'll be Zelda, Mario Kart and Arms, that's not bad for first part games, plus a batch if Indies and such. I think a steady stream of games is infinitely more important that a 30 game launch for example. My only concern is what is there for May/June/July? They need games here - August Splatoon, then Hyrule Warriors, Mario, Xenoblade 2 (yeah right) likely Pokemon, Smash and surely another surprise (though already looks a bit congested).

It's this steady flow of first party games which it needs, a few months of no big game and the sales will drop, the bad news will start and people will be thinking - here we go again!!

Arms is in that timeframe :)

Maybe Nintendo saw the Wii U launch with too many games which saw most of them bomb hard?

You can. You absolutely can. Click cancel, it takes you to a screen where you can choose to cancel part of your order or the entire order. For heaven's sake choose 'cancel part of my order'.

You could be trolling me. Ain't no way I'm going to my order and clicking cancel.

You could be trolling me. Ain't no way I'm going to my order and clicking cancel.

This is 100% true as I have a bigger order and canceled individual items within it/. Click cancel, it then gives you the option.

Maybe Nintendo saw the Wii U launch with too many games which saw most of them bomb hard?

yeah exactly, so many games, sales get diluted at this early stage, a thinner, steadier supply of games may give games like Bomberman and such a chance!

Same - The launch window is quite satisfying for people who skipped a lot of the Wii U offerings.

Exactly why I feel unimpressed, there's not enough fresh looking software

I'm slowly getting excited for Zelda but that's more of the WiiU's swan song than the birth of the Switch, for me at least.

Again, exactly how I feel... I'm absolutely gutted that this makes me less hyped for Zelda.

To be totally honest, I was most excited by the switch hardware. The software on it is by far the least compelling. Zelda is interesting, but the game is on the Wii U... the graphical boost is nice, and portability sounds great, but in real terms I question if it is worth £20 extra + a new console. 1, 2 switch would be a nice pack in game, but for me right now I don't see it being a game I would get to use much. Arms has a few people excited... splatoon interested me a lot, but arms really doesn't appeal that much right now.

As for the hardware, I like it, it seems moderately well powered, reports point to it being comfy, battery seems ok and it looks good. It just needs some compelling software. For me right now, that software would be internet browser... and from the announced line up constructor, mario odyssey, BotW if the price drops before I decide to buy the Wii U version... and 2 or 3 other games. 4 or 5 if I purchase BotW on the Wii U.

And three people in a row that give arguments why I feel so bummed out with this launch. The hardware is so so so right for me, but the software feels like it rewards people who skipped the Wii U :shakehead

Only 2 of the 9 first party games being released this year on Switch are also on Wii U. I don't understand the sentiment that the window is enticing to people who missed Wii U

Only 2 of the 9 first party games being released this year on Switch are also on Wii U. I don't understand the sentiment that the window is enticing to people who missed Wii U

For me the big hitters on a Nintendo console are Zelda, Mario Kart, Smash and Mario. This time around 3 of those are available on WiiU, or will be. And Mario isn't out for just under a year. Maybe that's why it feels there isn't much - yet - for those who already have a WiiU.

I think part of it is at the moment Splatoon feels like a rehash. I know it's not (before anyone jumps on that), but based on what little we have seen of the game...

They should have really showcased what was new, rather than what was largely the same, when announcing it. I don't doubt there is more new stuff than what we've seen, but god damn it Nintendo open your mouths! [insert voice chat joke here]

It will be interesting to see if any other Wii U games get ported/remixed at E3.

957E4BB5-C476-4666-B535-6388002C151F_zps37i3ux6n.jpeg

This keeps cropping up on my instagram feed and it's giving me life.

Obviously never gonna happen (probably) but imagine if a third party did a GameCube style one. Do you reckon it would actually work? Be an absolute dream to have that with a GC virtual console!

It'll probably cost you like £100 either way if they do...:heh:

Interesting...

Not sure if already posted, I did a quick search and couldn't see... but anyhoo, it would be a total and utter piss-take charging again for VC games we've already bought, especially if these are practices Nintendo undertake.

Wow. Very first time I've ever heard about this - very interesting! Classic Nintendo statement on it too :rolleyes:

I may well get a Switch sooner than I was thinking I would. After I finish Zelda on the WiiU I'll be trading the WiiU and my 3DS in, so I may as well put that towards a Switch.

I'm not sure why I forgot about trading stuff, haha. The only thing that will push the purchase back a bit is that I'll have finished Zelda so won't be double-dipping and there's not much on the immediate horizon that interests me.

I may well get a Switch sooner than I was thinking I would. After I finish Zelda on the WiiU I'll be trading the WiiU and my 3DS in, so I may as well put that towards a Switch.

I'm not sure why I forgot about trading stuff, haha. The only thing that will push the purchase back a bit is that I'll have finished Zelda so won't be double-dipping and there's not much on the immediate horizon that interests me.

Why not just trade them in now, get a Switch now, and play the better version of Zelda for £8 more.

Why not just trade them in now, get a Switch now, and play the better version of Zelda for £8 more.

Could do, just don't fancy the hassle of having to get up, get the tram into Manchester to get the Switch and then come back home. I used to live about 100 metres from a Grainger Games so I would've, but now I live a good few miles from any store so it's a bit of a ball-ache.

I might well do yet though.

Personally I won't bring myself to trade the Wii U in - but I still echo that if you guys are thinking about trades etc including all your games to give people an offer here too! Knowing that I'm keeping my WiiU I might attempt to fill in some of the gaps I left by not getting certain games.