NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

The HD rumble could be very useful if they ever follow through on any sort of VR. Having force feedback from your controllers during VR would be amazing.

I still don't quite understand the sale of one Joy-Con!? I mean they are supposed to be a pair, they are + & - how do you choose which side to buy? Aren't they different i.e. One has the 'media' button one doesn't?!

Just seems a weird decision?

Considering there's no Miiverse now (even though it was moderated before anyway) what could a kid actually do on a Nintendo machine that would warrant parental controls?

Play all those 18+ games we'll get? ;)

Plus the parent controls are more for ensuring kids don't play for too long.

I still don't quite understand the sale of one Joy-Con!? I mean they are supposed to be a pair, they are + & - how do you choose which side to buy? Aren't they different i.e. One has the 'media' button one doesn't?!

I think its ultimately to either a) replace a broken one or b) to get the colours balanced.

Considering that the Wii U has per-user parental controls, I reckon that it'll come in an update before long.

Nintendo are hilariously behind on the online/OS features as per usual. There's always gotta be something important that's not there in time for launch :indeed:

I think its ultimately to either a) replace a broken one or b) to get the colours balanced.

I hope they sell same colour packs of two, LKD mentioned they will, but I can't see it online.

I do wonder if Nintendo's ultra secrecy stance on Switch included 3rd parties and they didn't send out dev kits until late in the day. It baffles me how so many games won't be ready at launch, especially games that are basically ports.

Anyway, my main gripe is mostly the complete lack of software at launch and we know there are plenty of games on the horizon so all in all I'm back in.

I've got a 4 hour flight and 2 hour transfer for my snowboarding trip the week after Switch is released so I'll be putting the battery through it's paces.

Where do the games go in this thing? They seemed to gloss over that portion of the presentation, instead focusing on rock-paper-scissors detecting joy-con bullshit which will get used by probably 2 Nintendo titles before they give up, realising that none of the other games have given a shit about it.

I hope they sell same colour packs of two, LKD mentioned they will, but I can't see it online.

I had a look at the packaging press shots they sent and curiously they haven't sent any of the coloured Joy-Cons individually, only the large images in the spoiler tag below.

Obviously doesn't mean they won't come, just odd they omitted them. Particularly as they included the packaging for the EU and UK plugs :heh:

Joy-Cons_Pair_Grey.jpg

Joy-Con_Left.jpg

Joy-Con_Right.jpg

Joy-Con_Pair_Red_Blue.jpg

(they kind of look like they've been executed on the side of the box)

Considering that the Wii U has per-user parental controls, I reckon that it'll come in an update before long.

Nintendo are hilariously behind on the online/OS features as per usual. There's always gotta be something important that's not there in time for launch :indeed:

Every time we see Nintendo behind the curve. The whole give them time excuse has run dry.

I think that's just down to if you have 3 kids and just need one extra for multiplayer.

I really think marketing this as the most powerful handheld on the market with an option to output to the TV would be better. A luxury handheld with the option of TV out to me would me more attractive than vice versa.

As a console they are going against superior competition.

Where do the games go in this thing? They seemed to gloss over that portion of the presentation, instead focusing on rock-paper-scissors detecting joy-con bullshit which will get used by probably 2 Nintendo titles before they give up, realising that none of the other games have given a shit about it.

I'd rather they show off a nice little feature like the IR camera than spend time on a meaningless bit of information like where the games go. For the record, there's a slot on the top of the device for the game cards.

Rayman has extra content.

"This edition contains the acclaimed game Rayman® Legends – 92 metacritic on Wii U – as well as new exclusive content. Michel Ancel, celebrated creator of Rayman®, Beyond Good & Evil® and the Raving Rabbids® is bringing his innovative creativity to this new and exciting platform. It will make full use of the power of the Switch and its new controllers."

Expecting HD rumble goodness with this.

Fantastic, been desperate to play Legends but have never gotten around to it.

Also wish they'd release that Ubiart engine they've been promising for years...

Find it a bit... bemusing that people are complaining about HD rumble and costs. The Rumble Pak was an additional cost but we all look back at it fondly with the enhanced feeling of immersion it gave us. Vibration feedback these days are non-distinct and boarderline noticeable - yet still affects the overall cost of a controller.

I welcome Nintendo innovating on technology that they pioneered HD Rumble is just another reason why I can't wait to experience the switch... and - just like the Rumble Pak - Im sure it will be something we look back at with appreciation, regardless of pricing.

[...] focusing on rock-paper-scissors detecting joy-con bullshit which will get used by probably 2 Nintendo titles before they give up, realising that none of the other games have given a shit about it.

Immediately sprung to mind...

alex267.png

Find it a bit... bemusing that people are complaining about HD rumble and costs. The Rumble Pak was an additional cost but we all look back at it fondly with the enhanced feeling of immersion it gave us. Vibration feedback these days are non-distinct and boarderline noticeable - yet still affects the overall cost of a controller.

I welcome Nintendo innovating on technology that they pioneered HD Rumble is just another reason why I can't wait to experience the switch... and - just like the Rumble Pak - Im sure it will be something we look back at with appreciation, regardless of pricing.

I agree that it's good Nintendo are innovating on the controller front. It's the stiff u like them to do. The wave bird blew me away, it's that kind of innovation I like from Nintendo.

HD rumble will probably become a fixture on Sony and MS controllers in the future.

On the flip side no analogue triggers is really annoying. How does GameCube VC work without analogue triggers? Racing titles without analogue triggers? Why do they keep doing it.

Edited by liger05

I agree that it's good Nintendo are innovating on the controller front. It's the stiff u like them to do. The wave bird blew me away, it's that kind of innovation I like from Nintendo.

HD rumble will probably become a fixture on Sony and MS controllers in the future.

On the flip side no analogue triggers is really annoying. How does GameCube VC work without analogue triggers? Racing titles without analogue triggers? Why do they keep doing it.

I thought @Ashley had confirmed they were analogue just no where near as deep as the GameCube triggers, a tiny amount of give, but analogue nonetheless, no? What about on the pro-controller? Can anyone who attended confirm anything?

Question for those who went to the play events: were you able to check in via My Nintendo and, if so, what was the reward for doing so?

Personally I disliked the deep click of the GC triggers. The rear shoulder buttons of the Switch look like they could be analogue - but in any case, couldn't they just map it to a button?

I thought @Ashley had confirmed they were analogue just no where near as deep as the GameCube triggers, a tiny amount of give, but analogue nonetheless, no? What about on the pro-controller? Can anyone who attended confirm anything?

Even if that's the case would it be sufficient for say that racing game where feathering the accelerator and brake is a must.

When the PS3 was released and Sony had issues putting in rumble into their Sixaxis controller. Sony's Phil Harrion said back in 2007 "I believe that the Sixaxis controller offers game designers and developers far more opportunity for future innovation than rumble ever did. Now, rumble I think was the last generation feature; it's not the next-generation feature. I think motion sensitivity is. And we don't see the need to do that".

Then the internet was ablaze with people for and against rumble. Later on Sony made the DualShock 3 controller and everyone became quiet. When the Wii came out many people dismissed motion controls and then later on Sony Move (ok EyeToy was earlier) and Xbox Kinect came out.

If there any concerns about the HD rumble then if people have a chance to use the new system and play with some games I'm sure those concerns will be lifted. I'm not concerned about the cost of the system or HD rumble but more about the cost of future games themselves.

Edited by sumo73

The problem for me is that I just doubt I'll be playing any games that'll really use the HD rumble. I hate motion control games (my heart sank when they started with those!)

Saying that though, I don't particularly mind it being there for everyone else. I just hope devs don't try and shoehorn it in. I don't want the Switch being another gimmick console.