NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

That's assuming that the Directs will remain in the same format or if he will even make an appearance. From what I've read about the guy, he seems to like to keep himself to himself and that may very well remain to be the case. He may continue Iwatas legacy and host Directs, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are handled by regional representatives as a whole, rather than having the president start things off and then switching.

People seem to think that all company presidents are like Iwata and this isn't the case. Iwata broke the mould when he was appointed as president of the company and he really was one of a kind.

I disagree with this.

I recall that Yamauchi used to make quite frequent appearances. Iwata was a trail blazer by doing it much more than was commonplace, yes, but what he did has become the norm. Nowadays we expect to see Phil Spencer and Kazuo Hirai at different events.

He shouldn't necesserilly lead Directs but at this day and age, but it's strange that we haven't heard a word from him since he was appointed. Even if he wouldn't lead the Directs, I think that it's quite vital we hear SOMETHING from him in the next Direct.

They don't just need to add other consoles features, they need their own unique. They can start with the Wu Hu Nintendo Island online hub (with updated Miis) I've been pushing everywhere I post. Something neither Sony/Microsoft has done yet.

Sony already had Playstation Home and it was a disaster.

The Amiibo and Wuhu island are an embodyment of why Nintendo are in this mess to begin with. Nintendo need to show loud and clear that the NX has NOTHING to do with the Wii brand or the Wii line of thinking. That means dropping the Amiibos, updated or not.

While it would be nice to have, I think it's more important that it's streaming capabilities and apps are top notch. More and more people are using apps like Amazon, Netflixs, Hulu, Sky, iPlayer to get their TV and movie needs.

They are indeed but there is no reason why both cannot be avaliable just like they are with the competition.

Remember Nintendo didn't even have consoles playing dvd which was insane.

The Amiibo and Wuhu island are an embodyment of why Nintendo are in this mess to begin with. Nintendo need to show loud and clear that the NX has NOTHING to do with the Wii brand or the Wii line of thinking. That means dropping the Amiibos, updated or not.

Agree that there should be no link with the wii/wii u at all.

No more games that mention the word wii in them. No wii sports, wii play etc etc.

Kill the wii brand completely and move on.

I think blu Ray movie player should be in. Who owns blu Ray movie players now? It's a standard thing on other consoles and will be ridiculous if the NX can't play a blu Ray movie.

I believe Sony (the technology division) own the IP.

Playstation Home wasn't a disaster at all. Apparently it made a hell of a lot of money.

I looked at Playstation Home with a view of "Oh that's nice... but what's the point?" I much prefer just being able to access games quickly, compare scores etc from an easy to navigate UI than having a tacked-on hub world.

At least it was optional though, therefore I never used it, just never appealed to me. :blank:

For Nintendo's next console just give us a reasonably powerful console which is around the same as Xbox One and PS4, with ample storage of around 2TB, a Virtual Console Library where you can see all the titles on a virtual shelf but still access them almost instantly - they could do this for retail titles as well - and above all have a robust online system with features we have been wanting for the past decade or so as standard with all existing NNID purchases tied to a real account which allows you to download again if you choose to upgrade to a different console or if you end up needing a replacement machine. : peace:

Oh and one of the best traditional controllers out of the box which would be suitable for playing the entire Nintendo legacy while being more than adequate for any future game releases... so basically a Gamecube controller with those all-important shoulder buttons AND triggers plus a larger d-pad.

That'll do! :D

I also believe adding a Blu Ray is not essential and in some way I respect Nintendo for not tacking on a mediocre DVD player in previous consoles just for the sake of keeping up with the playstations. I owned the Panasonic Q - If it was £100 more just for the DVD player then its not worth it.

Like HOT said, I think enhancing streaming services is more important and more cost-effective for everyone.

I also believe adding a Blu Ray is not essential and in some way I respect Nintendo for not tacking on a mediocre DVD player in previous consoles just for the sake of keeping up with the playstations. I owned the Panasonic Q - If it was £100 more just for the DVD player then its not worth it.

Like HOT said, I think enhancing streaming services is more important and more cost-effective for everyone.

I can't agree with this, except for your part about streaming services. A big reason I bought the original Xbox was because it also doubled up as a DVD player. Having a Wii at Uni was fun, but it also meant that I couldn't play DVDs through it directly and had to have an additional DVD player alongside it, meaning your whole set-up has to change to accommodate an additional device.

We bought a 3D BluRay player before getting a PS4 as we only had a WiiU...which couldn't play DVDs, let alone BluRays. We don't use that player at all now. I think it makes a lot of sense to have a single device that can do many things and it's actually more cost effective in the long run, plus easier on storage.

Streaming is a big deal and being able to have NetFlix, Spotify and NowTV through a console is what I'd consider essential now. But, I still think having a DVD player/BluRay built in is still very ideal.

I can't agree with this, except for your part about streaming services. A big reason I bought the original Xbox was because it also doubled up as a DVD player. Having a Wii at Uni was fun, but it also meant that I couldn't play DVDs through it directly and had to have an additional DVD player alongside it, meaning your whole set-up has to change to accommodate an additional device.

We bought a 3D BluRay player before getting a PS4 as we only had a WiiU...which couldn't play DVDs, let alone BluRays. We don't use that player at all now. I think it makes a lot of sense to have a single device that can do many things and it's actually more cost effective in the long run, plus easier on storage.

Streaming is a big deal and being able to have NetFlix, Spotify and NowTV through a console is what I'd consider essential now. But, I still think having a DVD player/BluRay built in is still very ideal.

It was kinda ironic that Nintendo wanted to own the living room space and cater to the causal audience and families yet those same consoles were dreadful for multimedia capabilities such as dvd/blu ray, media file support and streaming services.

Madness that a child cannot even watch a dvd on the wii u gamepad.

My blu-ray player hasn't been used since I bought my PS4 so I would also argue that, whilst not essential, it is certainly a very big plus.

Thats fine - but we should remember that Sony and Microsoft are Multimedia giants, with Im sure, lots of R&D within DVD/Blu Ray tech - its natural for these devices to have the feature to watch movies.

It was definitely relevant back in the GC/PS2 era as the streaming services were not on the radar and where gaming magazines were providing DVDs with reviews etc. I bought a Panasonic Q for that feature essentially, but I guess my point is if its going to bring down the cost £50-£100 by not having a standard DVD - Im for that instead.

All subjective of course, but I've used the Blu Ray player on my Xbox One twice. All I ever watch is Netflix/streaming services now, I'm happy to wait for their release in there, and films like Beasts of No Nation being released first shows that even the model of film release is being changed for the future.

Also to say Nintendo should drop amiibo support is ridiculous; they've finally found something that sells this generation and transcends the Wii U, got to be kept! I hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be that surprised if they called the machine the Amiibo Box or something...

Also to say Nintendo should drop amiibo support is ridiculous; they've finally found something that sells this generation and transcends the Wii U, got to be kept! I hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be that surprised if they called the machine the Amiibo Box or something...

I think he meant to put Miis and not Amiibo.

I can't see them getting rid of the Mii branding. They've spent this generation updating and refining Miiverse. I find it hard to believe that they would just throw all that away or rebrand it.

What about other multimedia functionality.

I'm hoping the next platform will have codec support mp4, mkv, avi, etc etc.

Stick in a USB stick and you can access those files.

Regarding Wu-Hu Island as a hub for NX, I just thought I'd quote a previous post I made several months ago which highlighted my thoughts on the matter :heh:

Not at all :smile: In fact, it's maybe one of the games I enjoy most from Nintendo Land!

Anyway, I was just posting in another thread about how I'd have loved another Pilotwings game set on Wu-Hu Island where the seasons change and what not. That led me onto thinking about how I'd just love to explore the island and have an entirely new experience there.

I've definitely posted about this before, but with NX I'd love for Wu-Hu Island to basically be the hub of the new console :hehe:

The Wara-Wara Plaza on Wii U is a small step in this direction but I think it would be amazing to be able to turn on the new console and be dropped onto Wu-Hu Island where all your friends who are online will be walking around and you can freely chat to each other, set up games together or just run around exploring the island and having fun! Perhaps there could be a few activities to do like hang-gliding or jet-skiing where there may not necessarily be set goals but you could all be like 'Hey.. let's race to see who can reach The Ninteenth Hole Gold Club first!' or whatever :hehe:

I've also mentioned before for this sort of idea that things like the tennis courts could be off limits unless you purchase it for a reasonable fee. Once that particular DLC is downloaded or unlocked, you'd be able to make use of the tennis facilities to play the CPU or friends, Wii Sports-style. You could even pay a smaller fee to rent the court for an hour, or the golf course, or wherever, like how you can purchase passes in Wii Sports Club :hehe:

Imagine just being able to explore this entire island whilst being able to communicate freely with your friends and having a laugh together? Your Mii could be dressed in outfits unlocked from particular games.

The whole thing just sounds too awesome to me and it almost hurts to know that something like this just isn't likely, even if it is, in some ways, a very Nintendo-like take on things!

I never experienced Playstation Home but I definitely feel like there is some potential in having Nintendo do something along the lines of that suggested above.

Getting rid of the 'Wii' branding is probably a safe bet but I think, and I hope, that Miis are here to stay. They're one of the best things Nintendo has created in the last decade and it's awesome having these personal characters appear in all sorts of games. If anything, I'd like them expanded upon :grin:

Blu Ray support is very important; a massive market (essentially the modern DVD) and not everyone wants Netflix. I generally don't care about paid for streaming, they often seem to lack the things I actually want to watch.

What about other multimedia functionality.

I'm hoping the next platform will have codec support mp4, mkv, avi, etc etc.

Stick in a USB stick and you can access those files.

But why? When you have a computer that can do all of that.

Why should a phone or tablet support those codecs?

For me it's standard features which it's time Nintendo embraced. Just because it's avaliable elsewhere doesn't mean Nintendo should not bother.

By the same logic, nobody would bother with Chromecast either (as in, why bother with Chromecast when you can link a PC or laptop up to a TV). Yet people do buy it, which proves people want it.

Because my computer sits a very long away from my TV and sofa.

I guess my main issue with all this extra clobber would be costs.

Nintendo have backed themselves into a corner abit because they need to have it on a par with PS4/Xbox, but they can't go charging £400 for the NX when people have already forked that out for a console in the last few years.

Personally I'd rather see power and better online functionality than too much extra fluff. I'd be happy to pay for an online subscription like Xbox Live too if it gave me similar perks and a similar level of online play and features.

Nintendo have backed themselves into a corner abit because they need to have it on a par with PS4/Xbox, but they can't go charging £400 for the NX when people have already forked that out for a console in the last few years.

They tried it with the Wii U :heh:

I guess my main issue with all this extra clobber would be costs.

Personally I'd rather see power and better online functionality than too much extra fluff. I'd be happy to pay for an online subscription like Xbox Live too if it gave me similar perks and a similar level of online play and features.

I don't think the fact that people have already bought other consoles really matters. If people think something is hot and have the disposable income they will buy it.

Why should a phone or tablet support those codecs?

For me it's standard features which it's time Nintendo embraced. Just because it's avaliable elsewhere doesn't mean Nintendo should not bother.

Well of course I can't 'dispute' your opinion any further. But my thinking is all these features will rack up the cost of the system.

Nintendo should focus on getting its bread and butter right first: Build a solid and up-to-date GAMES console and create solid games. I guess its subjective whats considered 'solid' - but a DVD/multimedia player on a Nintendo console (which will undoubtedly increase its price), doesn't attract me. The Wii U didn't fail because it lacked this service.

Where are T3 getting their info? They've an article on the nx, mentioning some info from the Wall Street Journal claiming it's going to be using the same chips as the Xbox and Ps4 producing ps4 levels in a semi portable device! That's more specific than other info I've seen

A portable ps4 level Nintendo console? Shit if that is true

Edited by Agent Gibbs

T3 getting their info? They've an article in the nx, mentioning some info from the Wall Street Journal claiming it's going to be using the same chips as the Xbox and Ps4 producing ps4 levels in a semi portable device! That's more specific than other info I've seen

A portable ps4 level Nintendo console? Shit if that is true

I'll eat my hat if that's true :p