NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Sources Suggest Nintendo NX Is A Fusion Of Home And Mobile Hardware Powered By "Industry-Leading" Tech

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/10/sources_suggest_nintendo_nx_is_a_fusion_of_home_and_mobile_hardware_powered_by_industry-leading_tech

No! Because Serebi kept telling me this 100% isn't happening!!!

With the maintenance, Twilight Princess, mobile game imminent announcement, knowing nothing about mario tennis or amiibo festival... Surely an explosive Direct is incoming - New account system, game details, mobile game launch!! SURELY!!!!

But they all pretty much do the same thing don't they. The core reason one buys one is to play games. It's up to nintendo to show there games are worth the purchase of the console.

Being different just for the sake of it isn't the answer.

Agreed. For Nintendo to have focused primarily on 'ways to play' over the core mechanics of the actual game/franchise refresh tells me the company might not be as confident in their ability.

Nintendo games are their No.1 USP - that is what makes them unique and is what built up their cred. Build a solid game, with modern functions (ie online where applicable - No bs 'design choices' or Miyamoto limitations), on a console that has a capable infrastructure (ie voice chat etc) - and then market it well!

I think marketing in this day and age is perhaps the most important component, but Nintendo seem ten years behind in this regard - where as Sony and Microsoft have plastered their games all over public transport, magazines, billboards you name it.You can build a time machine but whos going to know about it if you dont show it to the world?

With the maintenance, Twilight Princess, mobile game imminent announcement, knowing nothing about mario tennis or amiibo festival... Surely an explosive Direct is incoming - New account system, game details, mobile game launch!! SURELY!!!!

A direct just can't possibly be far off now, it's been so long now and there so little info out there......they can't wait long to hype up Christmas

Give me a decent handheld/console hybrid that has a full library of cross-play games, a decently supported virtual console system and graphics as good as Wii U and I'll be happy. Don't know about the rest of the world though...

Nintendo's best chance is to exploit their current level of dominance over the handheld market and piggyback on that success with their console strategy. The Wii U is, after all, just a massive DS.

Edited by Guy

Give me a decent handheld/console hybrid that has a full library of cross-play games, a decently supported virtual console system and graphics as good as Wii U and I'll be happy. Don't know about the rest of the world though...

Nintendo's best chance is to exploit their current level of dominance over the handheld market and piggyback on that success with their console strategy. The Wii U is, after all, just a massive DS.

Well it's not a hybrid. We know that much

Not a traditional Hybrid no, its more akin to iOS over multiple devices, and i'd suspect the handheld (like the 3ds) would be usable as a controller, at least for any games you can play on both portable and non portable devices

Agreed. For Nintendo to have focused primarily on 'ways to play' over the core mechanics of the actual game/franchise refresh tells me the company might not be as confident in their ability.

Nintendo games are their No.1 USP - that is what makes them unique and is what built up their cred. Build a solid game, with modern functions (ie online where applicable - No bs 'design choices' or Miyamoto limitations), on a console that has a capable infrastructure (ie voice chat etc) - and then market it well!

I think marketing in this day and age is perhaps the most important component, but Nintendo seem ten years behind in this regard - where as Sony and Microsoft have plastered their games all over public transport, magazines, billboards you name it.You can build a time machine but whos going to know about it if you dont show it to the world?

Nintendo really need to use a well renowned marketing agency next time around.

Deutsch inc or similar.

Edited by liger05

Personally, I wouldn't be too upset if Nintendo's future was handheld-focused, or at least one that sees the handheld as the base unit.

The one thing that's bothering me is that in theory the first version of NX could be weaker than Wii U. That wouldn't normally be a problem for a handheld, but it may present some issues if Nintendo has scheduled dual versions of certain games.

Hypothetically, Zelda Wii U could have switched so NX is the lead format. If NX is weaker than Wii U, the Wii U version could simply be a hi-res version of the NX game. The actual game may turn out to be more limited than what we've seen.

What if the first NX system is a cross between a wii u gamepad and 3ds with power between a Wii U and new 3DS?

If it has enough power it may enable dual gamepad use on the Wii U, with the NX doing some graphical processing locally (A bit like with our eyes/brain, neither one does ALL the processing that results in the images we see, both do their own little bit) so the Wii U is able to send data to a secondary device (gamepad). Say in MK8, have NX dlc so two players locally can each have their own screen as they would if playing online against each other. The NX screen has maybe something closer to the visuals on Wii U when several players are playing (reduced visuals, although maybe keep 60fps) while the Wii U is graphically single player...When the NX home console releases the NX handheld remains compatible, then NX2 handheld is compatible with NX1 home console as well as NX2 when that releases...

Games could be customised to better suit handheld/home console environment, but be compatible, a bit like the 3ds can be used as a controller for SSBWiiU.

I do think something is happening though, 3ds and wii u prices seem to be dropping quite a bit.

Don't forget the first public appearance of the new CEO.

And that we'll see the release of the last confirmed Wii U games in just a matter of weeks. Let's face it, if Nintendo don't want the press to confirm the Wii U (and subsequently Nintendo as a console manufacturer) as stone dead before the year is out, they need to announce stuff. LOTS of stuff.

Don't forget the first public appearance of the new CEO.

That's assuming that the Directs will remain in the same format or if he will even make an appearance. From what I've read about the guy, he seems to like to keep himself to himself and that may very well remain to be the case. He may continue Iwatas legacy and host Directs, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are handled by regional representatives as a whole, rather than having the president start things off and then switching.

People seem to think that all company presidents are like Iwata and this isn't the case. Iwata broke the mould when he was appointed as president of the company and he really was one of a kind.

That's assuming that the Directs will remain in the same format or if he will even make an appearance. From what I've read about the guy, he seems to like to keep himself to himself and that may very well remain to be the case. He may continue Iwatas legacy and host Directs, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are handled by regional representatives as a whole, rather than having the president start things off and then switching.

People seem to think that all company presidents are like Iwata and this isn't the case. Iwata broke the mould when he was appointed as president of the company and he really was one of a kind.

Didn't Iwata pass on the directs to someone (can't remember who) not long before his death?

Didn't Iwata pass on the directs to someone (can't remember who) not long before his death?

Yeah, it's assumed he would be the one to handle the Japanese ones going forward. Whether this was always planned or if it was due to Iwatas health issues isn't known. Regardless, he was being prepped to take over the Directs over there.

Hahaha, you don't give up, I asked you to provide me with this fictional quote, you couldn't (because it doesn't exist), but you're also naive to believe anything anyone says 100%.

Fact is, we don't know anything, never mind 'that much', nothing. We can all make educated guesses and such! No idea why you speak with so much authority, when you have none!

Hahaha, you don't give up, I asked you to provide me with this fictional quote, you couldn't (because it doesn't exist), but you're also naive to believe anything anyone says 100%.

Fact is, we don't know anything, never mind 'that much', nothing. We can all make educated guesses and such! No idea why you speak with so much authority, when you have none!

Iwata pretty much hinted/confirmed what it was in an interview. NX is a home unit and a handheld with cross architecture (Nintendo Cross, essentially) for quick ported games. It's even been stated the feature it has will appeal to third parties (presumably quick port between TWO Nintendo consoles). To top it off, haven't the Nintendo handheld and home console dev teams fused together? (Just a rumour?) The hints are there for all to see if you pick apart all the articles. Sure it's all hints and it could all be BS...but let's face it, it's highly likely.

The only thing we don't know is just HOW powerful and whether they'll release together. It's also possible both will use high capacity cards (obviously the handheld will), saving space/architecture/money by not having disc drives and expensive cooling fans. The handheld will obviously be more powerful than 3DS and most definitely at least Vita resolution, and the home unit most certainly more powerful than Wii U, likely at least XO power. Components are cheaper, they can catch up to XO/PS4 power for cheaper now. If they go no disc drive/expensive fan route, smaller design, it can afford to be more powerful due to saved money. Then it all depends on BC. BC for home games (Wii U/Wii) may be the thing that messes the home unit's power/price up. Of course this is all just theories and hopes...and could be all BS.

The potential IS there for Nintendo to hit the jackpot and cover all bases...but we all know what happened with the Wii U.

Edited by Mr_Master_X2

Good controller, good online ; nailed it.

Gimmick bullshit, same online ; fucked it.

I'll start getting pre-emptively excited when I see a controller.

For me it needs a few simple things:

1. Similar architecture to other console for ease of porting multiplatform games.

2. Multiplayer games to have online... decent online!

3. OS level Party Chat.

If it has those 3 things it's a day 1 purchase for me, if not I'll buy it second-hand at some point I guess.

Good list and their number 1 is the same as mine.

Same here too, it's my biggest problem with the Wii U. Some people are happy with it, and that's fine, but it's just so lacking in features.

As for the launch, I doubt that'll be an issue. They've had trouble with the 3DS and Wii U at launch and the fact that first party games are running very dry right now seems to indicate they're prepping for something big. The Wii having Wii Sports AND Zelda on launch date was fucking huge and basically secured its appeal to casuals and hardcore Nintendo fans, and I firmly believe that if the NX is a home console, the new Zelda is going to be a launch title whilst still being available on the Wii U.

Same here too, it's my biggest problem with the Wii U. Some people are happy with it, and that's fine, but it's just so lacking in features.

As for the launch, I doubt that'll be an issue. They've had trouble with the 3DS and Wii U at launch and the fact that first party games are running very dry right now seems to indicate they're prepping for something big. The Wii having Wii Sports AND Zelda on launch date was fucking huge and basically secured its appeal to casuals and hardcore Nintendo fans, and I firmly believe that if the NX is a home console, the new Zelda is going to be a launch title whilst still being available on the Wii U.

Agree with pretty much the whole video except "bluray movie player." Totally pointless expence with bluray licensing, space etc. It's a needless expence and truly hope they don't cave on it.

They don't just need to add other consoles features, they need their own unique. They can start with the Wu Hu Nintendo Island online hub (with updated Miis) I've been pushing everywhere I post. Something neither Sony/Microsoft has done yet.

Agree with pretty much the whole video except "bluray movie player." Totally pointless expence with bluray licensing, space etc. It's a needless expence and truly hope they don't cave on it.

They don't just need to add other consoles features, they need their own unique. They can start with the Wu Hu Nintendo Island online hub (with updated Miis) I've been pushing everywhere I post. Something neither Sony/Microsoft has done yet.

I think blu Ray movie player should be in. Who owns blu Ray movie players now? It's a standard thing on other consoles and will be ridiculous if the NX can't play a blu Ray movie.

I think blu Ray movie player should be in. Who owns blu Ray movie players now? It's a standard thing on other consoles and will be ridiculous if the NX can't play a blu Ray movie.

While it would be nice to have, I think it's more important that it's streaming capabilities and apps are top notch. More and more people are using apps like Amazon, Netflixs, Hulu, Sky, iPlayer to get their TV and movie needs.

They can start with the Wu Hu Nintendo Island online hub (with updated Miis) I've been pushing everywhere I post. Something neither Sony/Microsoft has done yet.

We're totally on the same page with that. I've been crying out for that sort of thing too :grin: