NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

The frustrating thing with the VC is that it could be such an incredible selling point.

"Hey man, can I get Smash Bros 64 on the Switch?"

"Yeah, all the N64 games are on it!"

Instead you have to say "If you're lucky it will be out in 2-3 years".

This is so true and yet so stupid! Typical Nintendo!

Jim doing good work, as always.

The drip feeding, especially if you already own the game on another device, is beyond a joke at this point.

His point about Nintendo not realizing they are in a global market is very true. Why different regions get different games at different times is baffling. I can forgive this if the titles are 3rd party games but when they are 1st party games, games Nintendo own, they should be released at the same time, regardless of region. NoA is easily the worst when it comes to getting their games to consumers.

In the past, the VC could be used as a platform to help up and coming games get some momentum built up. A Pokemon on the way? Then here's Pokemon Snap a couple of months in advance to get the hype flowing. Same goes for things like Smash Bros, Mario Kart or any other Nintendo franchise. Instead releases were pretty much random for the most part.

The service also could have been used for games that have never made to various regions. Why we didn't get ExciteBots on the Wii U is beyond me. It's the perfect platform to give it a release. The same goes for Another Code and Disaster for US customers.

It's going to be interesting to see the pricing structure of the service now that the NES Classic has been released. They gave us 30 games for under £50. It's gonna be a hard pill to swallow if the NES games cost the same as they've done in the past.

So bloody true too! Nintendo need to start taking steps forwards, not sideways!

I think they have to change the pricing structure with the introduction of Gamecube games, it would only make sense to lower the NES, SNES and N64 games down a tier and introduce the GameCube games at £8.99, but knowing Nintendo they'll probably keep the pricing the same and make GC something crazy like £15.

They'll sell more if they release 3-4 every week than if they put up 200 in one go.

They need to stop locking the stores as well. I should be free to go and buy games on the US store if I want.

They need to stop locking the stores as well. I should be free to go and buy games on the US store if I want.

It'll probably be done like the Sony one

However, I wouldn't be surprised if the eShop at least is locked, despite being Region Free. There's a whole legal issue.

They could get around the legal issue by IP locking, but that'd fuck me over so they better not fucking do that

Edited by Serebii

Iwata made quite a big deal about them wanting to make their future consoles region free during one of his Investor's Q&A sessions a couple of years back, so I actually wouldn't be surprised if they make the Switch's eShop region free like Sony do with their PSN stores...

Iwata made quite a big deal about them wanting to make their future consoles region free during one of his Investor's Q&A sessions a couple of years back, so I actually wouldn't be surprised if they make the Switch's eShop region free like Sony do with their PSN stores...

Though do note that even though Sony's is Region Free, it becomes locked to the region of your account so you'd need multiple accounts for different regions

It'll probably be done like the Sony one

However, I wouldn't be surprised if the eShop at least is locked, despite being Region Free. There's a whole legal issue.

They could get around the legal issue by IP locking, but that'd fuck me over so they better not fucking do that

Just let us make more than one account. A EU account and a US one if you want like PSN does.

I'm really hoping the menu system and UI is good and better than the PS4's which is just terrible and so clunky and unintuitive to use. Also fingers crossed for a good achievement system, preferably one that actually has benefits (cosmetic or My Nintendo related) and not just pointless check-boxes on a list.

I think Nintendo could learn an awful lot from the PS4 UI. Most people generally access just a few things regularly (load a game they recently played or just inserted, see friends online, see trophies or see parties). So long as the UI is structured so that these are very quick to select (a la a 'quick menu'), and the UI is very snappy, I'll be happy.

Folders and the like mean absolutely nothing to me. I'll likely not access most of my old games on a regular basis so it's just totally busywork.

I'm really hoping the menu system and UI is good and better than the PS4's which is just terrible and so clunky and unintuitive to use. Also fingers crossed for a good achievement system, preferably one that actually has benefits (cosmetic or My Nintendo related) and not just pointless check-boxes on a list.

I imagine My Nintendo and the earning of coins will be a big part of the Switch and it's games. Sadly, if the system isn't improved, My Nintendo will be just as pointless as achievements and trophies. I've been sitting on a stupid amount of coins for ages now but have nothing to actually spend them on.

I think Nintendo could learn an awful lot from the PS4 UI. Most people generally access just a few things regularly (load a game they recently played or just inserted, see friends online, see trophies or see parties). So long as the UI is structured so that these are very quick to select (a la a 'quick menu'), and the UI is very snappy, I'll be happy.

Folders and the like mean absolutely nothing to me. I'll likely not access most of my old games on a regular basis so it's just totally busywork.

Having games you play regularly within easy reach is all well and good (I love the Wii U Quick Start screen, so fast) but the inability to re-organise any games and having apps mixed in there as well is really annoying. Also their three tiered screen is just clunky and I find the whole menu just ugly. It's all a bit of a mess IMO.

Nvidia CEO on Switch:

Nintendo Switch is a game console. It's very Nintendo. That entire experience is going to be very Nintendo. The beauty of that company, the craft of that company, the philosophy of that company—they're myopically, singularly focused on making sure that the gaming experience is amazing, surprising, and safe for young people, for children. Their dedication to their craft, that singlular dedication, is quite admirable. When you guys all see Switch, I believe people are going to be blown away, quite frankly. It's really delightful. But it has nothing to do with AI.

Good praise... but should we worry about the bold bit? I doubt friend-codes will return but does this suggest a lack of social features..?

Never seen Myopically being used as a complement before... is this praise? :D

Having games you play regularly within easy reach is all well and good (I love the Wii U Quick Start screen, so fast) but the inability to re-organise any games and having apps mixed in there as well is really annoying. Also their three tiered screen is just clunky and I find the whole menu just ugly. It's all a bit of a mess IMO.

Don't ever buy a Xbox One. :D

Well, the ordering of the games is all automatic based on most recently played. If you have a manual system then it's fine for right now, but you would have to keep reordering the list yourself whenever you finish with a game and don't want it at the top of your list, or you get a new one. That to me feels like busywork.

Anyhow, regarding the features at quick access, I wasn't referring to the quick startup (which is also a must) but rather the quick menu:

28384890644_b33f467401_z.jpg

A quick press and this loads up right away without totally covering the screen, with the most used features (and you can customise it). I would like the Switch to have something like this.

There's a launch games list floating about on various sites. The list is probably fake but it has Dragon Quest X on it. I would LOVE it if this were true. I always wanted to play it and to have a massive online game all ready for launch would certainly lessen my fears of any droughts as I'd be too occupied playing that to notice.

There's a launch games list floating about on various sites. The list is probably fake but it has Dragon Quest X on it. I would LOVE it if this were true. I always wanted to play it and to have a massive online game all ready for launch would certainly lessen my fears of any droughts as I'd be too occupied playing that to notice.

If it's a fake then it's very good. I saw a comment on reddit where a former GameStop employee said that the interface they use on the tills looks identical to the one in the image so you never know...

Easy Allies tweeted to say they're doing bets for the Switch presentation.. now I'm hyped :yay:

Honestly, though, despite my lack of enthusiasm in recent weeks I'm finally starting to feel my anticipation build now that we've reached the week of the event. It's time to get strapped in and enjoy the ride :grin:

Oh man a Not Suitable for Work Sonic game? What I've always wanted!!

(yes, this is my first post in here for a month and boy is it a doozy)

Cheers for spoiler tagging it, it would be nice to make it through the last few days without any more leaks ruining the surprise.

Cheers for spoiler tagging it, it would be nice to make it through the last few days without any more leaks ruining the surprise.

Apart from DQX there's no real surprises on the list. We know about all the rest of them. Feel free to take a peek.

If the Gamestop list is legit, then a second Sonic game could mean Sonic Mania, which I was bummed about missing Switch and will be ridiculously happy if it makes it

If the Gamestop list is legit, then a second Sonic game could mean Sonic Mania, which I was bummed about missing Switch and will be ridiculously happy if it makes it

Sonic mania not hitting the switch seems bizarre to me and a nonsensical decision from Sega. Will be amazed if it doesn't get announced.