NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

The switch selling point is it being a 2 in 1 console and the Nintendo exclusives. What counters that is the negatives - how much 3rd party? Will it have the social and online services modern gamers want? How gimped is the portable bit? Will it have enough first parties to cater for fans?

I'm confident this thing is going to be immense in every way.

Except party chat!

1. Decent third party from what I've been hinted at :) Not amazing, but decent!

2. Depends on what they want :p

3. Based on the leaks, it depends on the developer. The developer can make it run as well as when docked if they do so wish.

Amen to the power nonsense Colin raised in that video; all its done is create broken games that are constantly having to be patched and updated. You look at many top game polls and ocarina of time still hangs out around the top spots! You can have all the "p's" and "fps" you want but it doesn't make you care or enjoy a game any more if it's not a solid experience to start with, Nintendo or otherwise.

I've avoided everything for the presentation next week, can't wait to see what they reveal!

Thing is, IGN's PlayStation podcast had a thing about Switch and Brian said the Switch being 1080p was a bad thing.

I'll start caring about 4k gaming after developers can actually manage solid 1080p60/1080p30 rendered games

I expect the Switch to get decent 3rd party support. It appeals strongly to Japanese developers, it's the only handheld device on the market and production costs will be much cheaper than on other consoles. A lot of those mid tier franchises could find a home.

"Bigger crowds" as a selling point for next gen is so sad.

Colin on point with a few things in this video.

It's nice to see him positive about Nintendo again.

Great video, hard to disagree with much he says there.

Edited by Ronnie
Automerged Doublepost

He didn't say it was a selling point, but rather couldn't have been done on a less powerful console. And if you've got a game set in bustling city, you will want a crowd there to make the whole thing believable.

The main reason to care about power is that if a console isn't upgrading power then you wonder why a new console is even necessary in the first place. Power is always the thing people expect to go up considerably because technology is expected to have improved a lot in 5-7 years. It's also not just graphics as we've seen more player models and more sophisticated AI/level design (as well as VR) as a result of power jumps.

Of course in the case of the Switch, it brings portability so that's a big plus, and I can see people overlooking power in this case due to the obvious benefits portability brings. That said, if you're only really interested in home consoles you might be able to appreciate why those people could object to not so much of a graphical upgrade with this system.

I agree with this. People expect a graphical upgrade in order to buy the console otherwise some may question the need to buy another console.

In terms of the public - if you're a home console gamer only then I would expect the Switch to be disappointing as it does not appear to be that much better than the Wii U. The reverse is true for only handheld gamers - the graphics will be amazing!

In the reveal, the Switch was marketed as "Nintendo's next home console". If that is really the case then the system, as a home console, could be viewed as being underpowered.

As I said, as a handheld the upgrade is clear to everyone.

I agree with this. People expect a graphical upgrade in order to buy the console otherwise some may question the need to buy another console.

In terms of the public - if you're a home console gamer only then I would expect the Switch to be disappointing as it does not appear to be that much better than the Wii U. The reverse is true for only handheld gamers - the graphics will be amazing!

In the reveal, the Switch was marketed as "Nintendo's next home console". If that is really the case then the system, as a home console, could be viewed as being underpowered.

As I said, as a handheld the upgrade is clear to everyone.

Shouldn't people just look and say - the switch has all the games I do/don't want to play and that's how I'll make my decision. Not - yeah it has all these amazing games I can't play on any other device but, you know, it's not as powerful as a PS4... I just can't believe that many people think like that. Are people that stupid?!

VR could technically be possible on lower power devices. You do realise VR has been a thing for a while, right?

As for "convincing crowds"? Come on, man.

No it couldn't, the PS4 can only just about do it. The main problem is the very high refresh rate required so that you can map movements to what you see. I'm not talking about the joke VR that was around in the 80s, or cardboard, I'm talking about modern day VR that meets the standards of what is required for a competitive device. Let's not pretend that power hasn't been the primary force allowing the current level of VR tech to happen.

Great video, hard to disagree with much he says there.

Nowhere did I say it was a selling point - Serebii said graphics has not allowed anything new and off the top of my head I said more game models on screen and VR. I see that you have conveniently ignored VR though.

Edited by Sheikah

Some details about the event itself...

http://nintendoeverything.com/kimishima-will-be-presenting-at-nintendo-switch-presentation-2017/

- Kimishima presenting

- opens at 12 PM local time on January 13th

- event itself officially begins at 1 PM (8 PM PT / 11 PM ET on January 12)

- East Hall 8 will be used at Tokyo Big Site

- chance the presentation will contain software with age restrictions

- Nintendo will be putting up a list of playable software and stage times for its hands-on events in Japan

- sessions will be held on both January 14 and January 15

- attendees will be able to take photos and videos inside the exhibition except for the stage shows

- close shots of game footage is prohibited

- no stand to sell merchandise at the Japanese event

- My Nintendo members can participate in a lottery to win a Switch system

- 10 units will be given away each day

- attendees can check in using the new QR code feature added to Nintendo Accounts

Really does feel like the return of Spaceworld!

No it couldn't, the PS4 can only just about do it. The main problem is the very high refresh rate required so that . I'm not talking about the joke VR that was around in the 80s, I'm talking about modern day VR that meets the standards of what is required for a competitive device. Let's not pretend that power hasn't been the primary force allowing the current level of VR tech to happen.

I don't know about the details and how it works, but the PSVR does struggle a bit with VR and it is surpassingly low res and underpowered compared to normal games. I mean I don't care, I still really like it, but it feels like it's very early on and struggling technically a touch.

I don't know about the details and how it works, but the PSVR does struggle a bit with VR and it is surpassingly low res and underpowered compared to normal games. I mean I don't care, I still really like it, but it feels like it's very early on and struggling technically a touch.

Exactly my point - and that's with the PS4. All the improvements of the PS4 and it can only just about do it - power is an important factor for VR. Oculus and Vive need impressive rigs.

Exactly my point - and that's with the PS4. All the improvements of the PS4 and it can only just about do it - power is an important factor for VR. Oculus and Vive need impressive rigs.

Yeah, was just reaffirming it.

I'm excited to see what Nintendo can do with VR, but playing modern games on it feels almost impossible. But maybe they'll go for hyper stylised simpler games; which would be fine actually... Who knows. Maybe we'll never see it.

It being a 720p screen also makes me wonder how it'll be like strapped to your face...

No it couldn't, the PS4 can only just about do it. The main problem is the very high refresh rate required so that you can map movements to what you see. I'm not talking about the joke VR that was around in the 80s, or cardboard, I'm talking about modern day VR that meets the standards of what is required for a competitive device. Let's not pretend that power hasn't been the primary force allowing the current level of VR tech to happen.

tumblr_nilsaqoobN1rdod18o1_500.gif

Yeah, was just reaffirming it.

I'm excited to see what Nintendo can do with VR, but playing modern games on it feels almost impossible. But maybe they'll go for hyper stylised simpler games; which would be fine actually... Who knows. Maybe we'll never see it.

It being a 720p screen also makes me wonder how it'll be like strapped to your face...

Could they release 3DS style games on it, and use the VR as a type of stereoscopic 3D, albeit, flatter image. Or 3D Virtual console. Metroid Prime Trilogy in VR. Would be quite cool.

If anyone is moving the goalposts it's you. You said that the graphics of this generation have done nothing really when they have done full-fledged VR. Quite clearly they have done it because you can see the PSVR out now.

You're now trying to get out of it by pretending very simplistic VR that might work on Switch means that power hasn't given us anything and that these are comparable. Don't make me laugh.

This is the worst example of bait I've ever seen.

I mean, you move the goalposts in a conversation that you instigated and then claim someone else did it. Good lord, Joe. That's as bad as saying that a £199 launch price would leave Nintendo bankrupt. Oh wait... ;)

To me that gif always shows Nintendo trying to catch up with the competition.

Some details about the event itself...

http://nintendoeverything.com/kimishima-will-be-presenting-at-nintendo-switch-presentation-2017/

Really does feel like the return of Spaceworld!

"10 units to be given away each day"

God damn, that's awesome.

Yeah it really does feel like the return of Spaceworld. The amount of coverage Nintendo will get will be huge, especially straight after CES.

I've run out of thanks so; thanks!

If anyone is moving the goalposts it's you. You said that the graphics of this generation have done nothing really when they have done full-fledged VR. Quite clearly they have done it because you can see the PSVR out now.

You're now trying to get out of it by pretending very simplistic VR that might work on Switch means that power hasn't given us anything and that these are comparable. Don't make me laugh.

This is the worst example of bait I've ever seen.

I mean, you move the goalposts in a conversation that you instigated and then claim someone else did it. Good lord, Joe. That's as bad as saying that a £199 launch price would leave Nintendo bankrupt. Oh wait... ;)

I actually can't believe he had the gall to post it!

Come on. I said it could be done in the last generation. I didn't say it'd have been exactly the same as it is. You're splitting hairs just because I don't follow your own views

Literally nobody is going to buy Switch because they are looking for an upgrade on their PS4. It's two main selling points are being an HD handheld, so a huge advance on the 3DS and it's portability as a console, so the ability to play current gen games anywhere.

The choice people will have to make when buying their next FIFA/COD etc is do I want the better looking PS4 version that is tethered to my tv or a graphically inferior version that I can play anytime, any place, anywhere. I don't think you can say one is better than the other it's a lifestyle choice.

This deserves your favourite snarky gif

giphy.gif

But yeah, "catching up" to the competition has clearly been Nintendo's top priority these last couple of gens. BIGGER CROWDS! DEEPER SHADES OF BLACK! BROKEN GAMES! :laughing:

Edited by Ronnie

This deserves your favourite snarky gif

giphy.gif

This deserves a thanks too, so thanks.

...But yeah, "catching up" to the competition has clearly been Nintendo's top priority these last couple of gens. BIGGER CROWDS! BROKEN GAMES! :laughing:

They did have that game breaking bug in Skyward Seord...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-06-nintendo-details-game-breaking-zelda-skyward-sword-bug

But anyhoo, we all know he meant in terms of online/social features.

EDIT: aren't they both jokes? Thought it was a bit of banter.

EDIT: aren't they both jokes? Thought it was a bit of banter.

He will tell you it was but I'm pretty sure it wasn't. He's always out to call me out on my "snarky gifs".

It's ridiculous.

You can't make jokes about Nintendo...not here. ;)

Edit: I mean, the gif in itself is funny, especially in the context, but that stupid addition of defensiveness is unnecessary. It's what makes the post ridiculous.

Edited by drahkon

It'll be great

Though people will bitch because they don't understand technology and realise that they can't have PS4 Pro level tech in a hybrid device without it costing a fortune and having the battery life of a pencil

True, but I think people are more likely to compare it to other Tegra devices. Personally I was quite happy expecting it to be nothing like the PS4, but then we had Eurogamer's report, which claimed it's far more limited than a standard X1. I'm still really looking forward to the Switch, but I think any technical criticism of it will be along those lines rather than PS4/Xbox One.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-switch-spec-analysis