NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Interesting interview with a number of indie developers on Nintendo Life. Shin'en and Engine Software both confirm they are already working on games for the Switch.

Laura Kate Dale says the PAL launch date for the Switch is March 17th.

Edited by killthenet

Interesting interview with a number of indie developers on Nintendo Life. Shin'en and Engine Software both confirm they are already working on games for the Switch.

Laura Kate Dale says the PAL launch date for the Switch is March 17th.

Monster Hunter XX comes out on March 18th in Japan so that date is probably true ;)

They'd be missing a trick not launching it on the 10th... "Mar10".

I kept thinking: What the fuck would MarTen mean?

I'm very tired.

It would be silly without Mario as a launch title, though :heh:

It would be silly without Mario as a launch title, though :heh:

I never suggested Mario shouldn't be at launch, it totally should be!

I would be ecstatic if it was but I suspect it'll be released in the run up to Christmas.

I predict Breath of the Wild will be the big launch game with a couple of surprises while Mario Kart will perhaps come in May and Super Mario's Ice Crystal Adventure in Mexico coming in October :smile:

I would be ecstatic if it was but I suspect it'll be released in the run up to Christmas.

I predict Breath of the Wild will be the big launch game with a couple of surprises while Mario Kart will perhaps come in May and Super Mario's Ice Crystal Adventure in Mexico coming in October :smile:

Nintendo release three big games in one year?! That's unpossible.

Their two biggest franchises released on day 1? Makes no sense, far better to have Mario as the big Q4 game. Zelda will shift consoles on its own.

Isn't Luigis mansion launch day? If so then definitely makes no sense to launch with Mario. Plus didn't they say the reason they didn't show Switch sooner was because Mario wasn't running properly so that doesn't sound like it's anywhere near being ready for launch.

Isn't Luigis mansion launch day?

Has a new one been rumoured? That would be great news

Their two biggest franchises released on day 1? Makes no sense, far better to have Mario as the big Q4 game. Zelda will shift consoles on its own.

You guys are joking right? Why wouldn't you want their biggest franchises there with the system on Day 1?!? It'll shift units AND give you an excellent lead-in to the system! Didn't the N64 launch with at least SM64 and MK64? Didn't the GC launch with Melee? Some of their biggest/most widely appreciated games to date, no? Did it do any harm?

If they're not going to launch with big hitters then it's just going to be an exact representation to me that Nintendo haven't learned or changed anything up. BotW will not do as well to shift the system as people think - especially given the number of already burned WiiU owners out there. I'm not saying people won't buy Zelda mind, but I am saying that many probably won't buy the system FOR BotW. It's the TP route but it won't be the same because the WiiU's already put them at a disadvantaged start imo.

Shin'en had better be making F-Zero.

I don't think Shin'en will do F-Zero justice :blank:

There.. I said it!

I don't think Shin'en will do F-Zero justice :blank:

There.. I said it!

I don't think they would either. But at least they now have experience... a tester, that could develop into something far greater and more ambitious.

I don't think Nintendo would do F-Zero justice either tbh. Especially if they want to build it around some gimmick.

I'd rather have a grittier Shin-en F-Zero that perhaps take the series in a slightly different direction, than nothing.

I don't think they would either. But at least they now have experience... a tester, that could develop into something far greater and more ambitious.

I don't think Nintendo would do F-Zero justice either tbh. Especially if they want to build it around some gimmick.

I'd rather have a grittier Shin-en F-Zero that perhaps take the series in a slightly different direction, than nothing.

Interestingly, I'd rather have the Mario Kart team on it and have the game vibrant and colourful rather than the depressing gritty route :heh:

Why wouldn't you want their biggest franchises there with the system on Day 1?!?

Because then what? Another 3-4 years till the next Zelda and Mario games? It'd be a waste, no publisher drops two of their biggest games out on the same day, that would be stupid. MK64 wasn't a launch title. Nor was Melee. There's just no need for their two big hitters on the same day. It won't just be Zelda, there'll be other first party games there as well, just not Mario. Miyamoto already said they'll likely show it off at E3, it's the perfect big xmas game.

BotW will not do as well to shift the system as people think

"Game of E3" with four hour long queues won't do well?

especially given the number of already burned WiiU owners out there.

I suspect if you ask most Wii U owners if they enjoyed their system they'll tell you yes. There have been some outstanding games released for it.

I'd launch with both Mario and Zelda. Afterwards they can did into their long history of IP that they've had dormant for far too long.

MK64 wasn't a launch title. Nor was Melee.

My memory may be a bit off here, but I bought the gc at launch... and I am fairly sure I got it along with Melee, monkey ball and some other game....

Because then what? Another 3-4 years till the next Zelda and Mario games? It'd be a waste, no publisher drops two of their biggest games out on the same day, that would be stupid.

This IMO is a problem with the average Nintendo gamer's mindset and one that I feel Nintendo have for sure propagated over the years. Nobody seems to be yearning for new stuff or at least has any faith in Nintendo to do great off more than their big titles. I seem to see people all the time wanting old series revived but very rarely wanting totally new ideas. As you say...you think they'd be mad to release these big games at launch. But what if they did, and then focused on delivering new and great ideas?

You can't have a console floated on a few select massive titles. I think Nintendo need to shift their output to be at least 50% new concepts, characters and series for the next generation. They're stagnating and I'm getting bored of a lot of their series now.

Edited by Sheikah

I do agree however, releasing multiple big hitters too close to each other is a bit silly. I think BotW will do well on switch. If I was getting the switch at launch I wouldn't be considering BotW on the Wii U.

As for the other titles, I would reveal they are in the works, but probably space them out. 1 big hitter a quarter wouldn't be a bad call imo. MK9 would probably be a good call around late June/early July, Splatoon around end september/october, then mario switch probably end of November in a bundle for the US/Christmas period. Spreading big hitters leaves space for 3rd parties (I am assuming they will be around in year one).

My memory may be a bit off here, but I bought the gc at launch... and I am fairly sure I got it along with Melee, monkey ball and some other game....
In the UK at least, Melee came out a month or two after launch.