NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I think better people talking about it now when the release is 5 months away than a year ago when everyone would have forgotten about it and/or lost interest by the time it releases.

I still think they should've given us an earlier reveal. They could've then done Directs for upcoming titles to keep the hype going.

Brexit means Brexit. No-one knows what state the UK's currency will be in March

In any event there is a thread somewhere about it. Lets all post there instead :)

I think the price point is going to be very telling about how they are going to position the Switch as a product. I can see there being serious issues if Nintendo don't match their messaging with the price. If not, people will be put off by a high price and claim that it's too much for a handheld and vice versa.

@Grazza - you've been too silent!

I haven't been around! :heh: I got logged-out ages ago and the password request didn't work. Hadn't seen anything I was desperate to comment on since then, but was particularly drawn your "Manning Up" topic as I really think you're onto something with that.

So, Switch... I quite like it. All I wanted from Nintendo was a powerful handheld, so I'm happy in that regard. If I have one nitpick it's that as a handheld it's going to be slightly held back by the console aspect, and vice versa. I don't think this is quite as exciting as getting a true successor to the 3DS (which I always imagined as similar to the Vita), but I can't complain too much.

Overall, I think Nintendo gathering all its resources into one machine is the right way forward. If it means we won't get games like Phantom Hourglass or A Link Between Worlds, I won't be too upset, as they always felt slightly compromised. Technology is now so advanced that we have a portable that can run Breath of the Wild - that's a great thing.

I do wonder if this thing is going to be slightly less powerful than the Wii U. My guess is very similar performance, but adapted to the new architecture. Not a huge problem, but there might be some things it can't do that the WiiU could. We'll see.

Slightly disappointed not to see Wayforward on the list of supporting developers - you'd think we'd have Mighty Switch Force! : peace:

The price to me has to represent a handheld. Yes it connects to TV but it's just TV out and even the trailer was more showing off its portable aspects.

The price to me has to represent a handheld. Yes it connects to TV but it's just TV out and even the trailer was more showing off its portable aspects.

In terms of power it's between a Wii U and a PS4, which says home console to me. Yes the ad showed off it's portable aspects, but it also showed it off as a home console just as much.

Nintendo themselves have called it a home console that you can take anywhere, which tbf sounds a lot cooler than a handheld with an HDMI out.

I'd expect it to be home console price. Then again I can't really remember what the 3DS was priced compared to the WiiU.

The 3DS launched at £219.99, the Wii U launched for £250 for the basic set and £300 for the premium. I'd expect the Switch to sit somewhere in between, part of what killed the Wii U and what gave the 3DS a poor start were that they were too expensive, especially when you consider that the Wii launched at £180 and the Gamecube at £129. Nintendo won't want to be forced into another price cut 6 months after launch so I think they will come in at a fairly reasonable cost, around £200 is probably too cheap so something like £230 - £250 would be about right.

For reference the DS launched at £130, the PSP for £179 and the PS Vita launched at €249 (couldn't find the UK price) so any higher than £250 would be pretty unusual for a Nintendo console and particularly expensive if you consider it a portable.

EDIT:

Nintendo just announced that there will be a live presentation about the Switch on January 12th. Rather than a Nintendo Direct it's a more traditional press event, with invited media and investors witnessing it live in Tokyo, as well as it being live streamed to the public online. It's great that they're actually inviting the media and means that we should get some hands on impressions soon after, hopefully they let Digital Foundry take a peak at it too so we can get a better idea of the technical side of things.

It's kind of crazy that we'll be finding out the majority of information only 2 months before launch.

Edited by killthenet

It's kind of crazy that we'll be finding out the majority of information only 2 months before launch.

How is that crazy?

I have never understood long hype cycles. Are you saying you really need more than 2 months! to digest the information they will give us? Heck, the internet needs a week at best to analyse all the footage and news, and all we might need is a day or two to take it all in.

You'd rather be dripfed bits and pieces of info over the year or would you rather know most of the info and what games are coming in one go to get it over with?

How is that crazy?

I have never understood long hype cycles. Are you saying you really need more than 2 months! to digest the information they will give us? Heck, the internet needs a week at best to analyse all the footage and news, and all we might need is a day or two to take it all in.

You'd rather be dripfed bits and pieces of info over the year or would you rather know most of the info and what games are coming in one go to get it over with?

No, I'm totally fine with it. I was simply saying it was crazy because it's unusual for a games console to come out so soon after a full information blow out. It might have become the norm for other products but it's still odd for it to be happening with a games console.

People put words in others mouths far too often on this forum.

How is that crazy?

It is pretty crazy when you consider that they're not letting any 3rd parties go into detail about their games until then.

2 months is not a lot of time to give 3rd parties the breathing room they need to tell people about their Switch projects. They're all gonna have to fight over the very limited message time they have (it's like launching a console 2 months after E3) and I reckon that many are gonna suffer for it.

And if your game isn't 100% ready to be shown? Then you're screwed. You don't get a chance to be part of that initial hype wave as your game will just reflect poorly in comparison to everything else.

While it might be good for the hardware itself (I mean, Apple basically invented this announcement model and the results speak for themselves), consoles aren't phones. It might get people hyped up for the machine itself in short order, but will the actual games benefit from the short hype cycle? I'm not so convinced...

Nintendo has tried this tactic before to very mixed results (Wario Land: The Shake Dimension springs to mind...). I'm not necessarily convinced that this is a good idea.

Mind you though, it wouldn't be such a bad idea if they only had a very limited number of launch titles... You know, if we have already seen all of the launch day titles in that teaser video....

Edited by Dcubed

Of course it would totally depend on the software output around launch and what additional features there are for the Switch that are not yet unveiled, but £250 would probably be my maximum. That would easily be upped to £300 if there are some killer apps in the pipeline that are fully announced instead of rumoured.

To be honest, there would need to be something special to get me to pick it up at launch and I know I'm not the only one in that boat, so Nintendo needs something to not have a repeat of the Wii U where too many potential customers sit on the fence so see what happens to the point that the adoption never gains traction or it's too late and third parties aren't convinced.

Oh! Something that kinda got lost in the hype bubble of the Switch E3 conference video announcement...

We also plan to provide a “Nintendo Switch Hands-On

Experience 2017” as early as January in Japan, the U.S.

and Europe. In Japan, we will follow the presentation

on January 13 with the hands-on experience for the

general public at Tokyo Big Sight on January 14 and

15. Hands-on experiences will be offered for media

and business partners in the U.S., Europe and Australia

at around the same time. Our local subsidiaries will

provide more details.

So they're planning a pre-release demo tour for January in Europe? Nice :)

Umm I posted about that in the Presentation thread. Told you that you should continue looking at Nintendo news sites ;)

Umm I posted about that in the Presentation thread. Told you that you should continue looking at Nintendo news sites ;)

I'm half asleep and struggling to wake up, cut me some slack :p

The hands on event sounds good, I'll definitely head along to that and check it out. I dread to think how many people will go along to that though.

Was obvious it would be but nice to get confirmation (ish). I still don't think the IR sensor is for pointing. The touchscreen is probably just an optional method of menu navigation in the UI/games and the accelerometer/gyroscope will be used for text input like on PS4.

No third party embargo.

Koei Tecmo games will bring its Nobunaga’s Ambition series to Nintendo Switch, general producer Kou Shibusawa announced during a “Historical Simulation Game Day” live stream today.

Further details were not announced.

The latest entry in the series, Nobunaga’s Ambition: Sphere of Influence – Ascension, launched this week in North America and Europe for PlayStation 4 and PC.

http://gematsu.com/2016/10/nobunagas...-coming-switch

Nice to see the series coming back to a Nintendo platform once again...

;)

nobunaga-s-ambition-usa.png

...though it has been on just about every other format over the years as well. :heh:

I love the fact that the SNES game got a release on the Wii U VC a couple of years ago, I knew of the series before but I hadn't really played it until then. :smile: