NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Because presumably NX will be more than just a lower priced Wii U. Not to mention the fact that within the industry the console is dead, they need to start fresh. Even with a price drop I doubt they'd shift many more units.

I think you're in the vast minority who wanted Nintendo to continue with motion controls.

Wii sold 100+ million consoles because of motion control whilst their previous couple of consoles both sold in the 30-40 bracket, so clearly people liked motion controls. It's a terrible business decision to change strategy when you're winning. Look at any other successful tech and the follow up does the same but better. And like I said they should have dropped the wii name if they weren't going to continue with motion controls

Wii sold 100+ million consoles because of motion control whilst their previous couple of consoles both sold in the 30-40 bracket, so clearly people liked motion controls. It's a terrible business decision to change strategy when you're winning. Look at any other successful tech and the follow up does the same but better. And like I said they should have dropped the wii name if they weren't going to continue with motion controls

Maybe 9 years ago motion controls were the big talking point but interest in them has gone downhill pretty quickly. It was something new and made for huge sales at launch but the continued success of the Wii was more down to things like Mario Kart 8 or Wii Fit. I genuinely don't think the market is there for motion controls. Tablet gaming was the hype train Nintendo wanted to jump on but the Wii U probably came a year or two too late for that (which Miyamoto has acknowledged)

Motion controls is not the way to go.

Console sales of the competition show quite clearly that gamers are more than happy with a standard stick and buttons controller.

Can Nintendo just concentrate on getting a pad out which isn't gimped somehow by having either a different amount of buttons or incorrect triggers.

Just give us parity and not try to do something different just to be different.

What about thought control?

I think that may be the next step, especially in regards to VR.

Obviously it's nowhere near functional yet, but a family friend had one of those kits and it worked rather well. If anyone can make it hit some form of mainstream success, Nintendo could somehow.

Obviously not as the huge "Buy this" thing with the console, but they could use it in some form.

If Nintendo released a console where you could control the games just by thinking about it, and it worked, I think we could safely say they'd win the decade.

If Nintendo released a console where you could control the games just by thinking about it, and it worked, I think we could safely say they'd win the decade.

Or would have ruined gaming forever, I can't decide which.

Depends. Would it let me think "I wish I was playing F-Zero instead" and it would turn into F-Zero?

Depends. Would it let me think "I wish I was playing F-Zero instead" and it would turn into F-Zero?

Don't do it. I did it while playing Mario Kart and this happened

zlCfzTRl68QkXCc9FG

Seeing those images of Nintendoland and Mario Kart just shows how much Nintendo mastered the Wii U's graphical capabilities over a couple of years. I know that's pretty normal for a console, but the difference is impressive.

What about thought control?

I think that may be the next step, especially in regards to VR.

Obviously it's nowhere near functional yet, but a family friend had one of those kits and it worked rather well. If anyone can make it hit some form of mainstream success, Nintendo could somehow.

Obviously not as the huge "Buy this" thing with the console, but they could use it in some form.

I do think it's got huge potential. There's been a lot of progress with understanding what the mind is thinking, and so this could be applied to RPGs where you form relationships with several characters. Could cause a few crossed wires in Fire Emblem. :heh:

Am I the only one who liked...

nintendoland-wii-u-18.jpg?44d51a

Not at all :smile: In fact, it's maybe one of the games I enjoy most from Nintendo Land!

Anyway, I was just posting in another thread about how I'd have loved another Pilotwings game set on Wu-Hu Island where the seasons change and what not. That led me onto thinking about how I'd just love to explore the island and have an entirely new experience there.

I've definitely posted about this before, but with NX I'd love for Wu-Hu Island to basically be the hub of the new console :hehe:

The Wara-Wara Plaza on Wii U is a small step in this direction but I think it would be amazing to be able to turn on the new console and be dropped onto Wu-Hu Island where all your friends who are online will be walking around and you can freely chat to each other, set up games together or just run around exploring the island and having fun! Perhaps there could be a few activities to do like hang-gliding or jet-skiing where there may not necessarily be set goals but you could all be like 'Hey.. let's race to see who can reach The Ninteenth Hole Gold Club first!' or whatever :hehe:

I've also mentioned before for this sort of idea that things like the tennis courts could be off limits unless you purchase it for a reasonable fee. Once that particular DLC is downloaded or unlocked, you'd be able to make use of the tennis facilities to play the CPU or friends, Wii Sports-style. You could even pay a smaller fee to rent the court for an hour, or the golf course, or wherever, like how you can purchase passes in Wii Sports Club :hehe:

Imagine just being able to explore this entire island whilst being able to communicate freely with your friends and having a laugh together? Your Mii could be dressed in outfits unlocked from particular games.

The whole thing just sounds too awesome to me and it almost hurts to know that something like this just isn't likely, even if it is, in some ways, a very Nintendo-like take on things!

Fantastic idea, I love it.

(also a big fan of Wuhu Island)

N

I've definitely posted about this before, but with NX I'd love for Wu-Hu Island to basically be the hub of the new console :hehe:

Yes, I've posted about this dozens of times before EVERYWHERE basically since the Wii U launched, too. (Every wish list topic ends up with a huge post on it me rambling on about it...LOL)

It's such a good idea, but it's also a "Nintendo Magic Idea" too. Huge open-world island exploration with volcano, ruins, caves, indoor houses, hidden town, mini islands, lush valleys etc., Miis running around, bikes/planes/karts/boats etc. to ride around in, main town hub with updates/posts from Nintendo, also being a hub for a huuuuuge selection of online multiplayer mini games/good sized games etc. with other players roaming, Disneyland style mascot visits from classic Nintendo characters like Mario/Link etc. Your own little Mii house in the town that you can decorate and change Mii clothes/outfits/keep pets etc. A console achievement system for ALL games that you get coins/red coins/blue coins/star coins, which you can use to buy stuff in the town with (you buy more real world games, you get more achievement coins, you expand your Wu-Hu Island items/house etc....crafty but addictive money grab!) Nintendo holding competitions/tournaments/treasure hunts etc. for prizes every so often. A real interactive online community!

WHY haven't they done it yet...?

Edited by Mr_Master_X2

Third parties reacting favourably towards NX...

I've replied to your question about how to do Youtube links in WiiU General Discussion.

But for now, I'll sort that out for you.

Nintendo NX and its future.

Nintendo's hardware capabilities are inhibiting their software? Some decent points made.

Why should they leave the handheld industry, they are dominating it and it's probably what is allowing them to make profits again?

I do think that they are changing, but I do agree that they should wait a bit longer with the NX. The last franchise they made is almost only online, so they are moving to that side, but need to fix some issues.

Again, if the NX is something different it could sell well.

Wow, that guy in the video loves to stroke his own ego, haha.

Yeah, Nintendo is definitely in trouble when it comes to mass-appeal, acknowledgement by gamers, and their 3rd party relationships.

If it starts going down hill badly, what I see happening is them starting to focus more and more on Japan.

One really good step for them would be to somehow merge their handheld and console business so that both devices could play both handheld and console games. This would help them release games at a more steady pace.

Other than that, ... they might have to settle for a friendly, Nintendo-exclusive 2nd-console-next-to-your-Playstation-or-Xbox kind of deal.

What I hate though is people who are so identified with gaming that they start making you feel ridiculous for owning Nintendo consoles and playing Nintendo games/games on a Nintendo console. It's a bloody hobby and just because Nintendo consoles aren't the bleedin' edge tech/online wise doesn't mean they don't have fun games to play.

This is the image problem Nintendo has, unfortunately, and I have a hard time believing that if they were to partner up with Sony more people will pick up their games. Try selling Yoshi's Yarn, Splatoon or Pikmin 3 to the kids wanting to be a bad-ass by playing GTAV, Batman or any of the other ultra-realistic and serious games.

Nintendo should team up with Valve and the Indies, that would be a treat.

Wow, that guy in the video loves to stroke his own ego, haha.

Yeah, but he probably has every right to since he has been proven right.

I was in the Nintendo defence camp back then, pro Wii U thinking how can it go wrong? HD - check, close to traditional controller - check, promise of third party support (and good 3rd party launch support) - check and Miiverse, which looked like Nintendo was giving a boost to having a strong online community in their games...

How could it all go so wrong so quickly?

I agree with the vid and general opinion that Nintendo are in dire straights and will most likely be again if they release a home console early (or later but with another under-powered, non-port friendly machine).

And they have lost fans going by the general atmosphere and comments within Nintendo forums, so its hard to see how they will try to recapture the old fanbase, if they target them. On less they go all out and do something incredibly different, its going to take generations to rebuild that reputation that they had back in the Snes-N64 era.

This guy may sound like his bashing, but like most gamers - we all want to be proven wrong by Nintendo.

See, with that terrible video, it shows a major thing. People want Nintendo to be exactly like the other two, yet completely different. Nintendo has to find a balance. Innovation is something they need to continue doing as the PS4 and Xbox One are both very safe consoles and going the very safe path won't pay off forever. Nintendo was absolutely right to do the Wii U. Yes, it has flaws, but they did the right thing by creating it, they took a risk to create something unique. Hell, one of their mottos is to create something unique (

)

Nintendo should not drop handhelds. Nintendo should not capitulate solely to the demands of fanboys of other platforms who just won't buy it anyway. Nintendo should go a bit more in line with the industry, sure. Online absolutely, but they should remain unique and remain creating hardware that is unique. People continue to seem to think that consoles are all about power. They are somewhat, but that should not be the whole thing. It's not a horrible decision to try to be unique, like some people think, in fact it's probably the best thing for the industry as a whole. Will it always work? God no, but they should never stop trying and Iwata has put so many ventures forth so they can continue to experiment without a bad choice damaging the company as much as the Wii U and early 3DS blunders did.

I have faith the NX will be the balance of unique and powerful enough to placate those who see consoles more as numbers (like the guy in the video who made the claim that it'd get boring quick just because of specs) than as a portal into game worlds. Wii U is not a bad console, but there were mis-steps, and many people will never drop their view of Nintendo being "for kids", but they should never give up what makes them truly Nintendo.

Nintendo aren't a software company. They aren't a hardware company. They're an entertainment company that uses their software and hardware in a symbiosis like thing. Going third party or creating a third x86 device for the market would lose that as they'd no longer be creating something unique.

That's just how I see it really. Sorry if it was a ramble.

Edited by Serebii

See, with that terrible video, it shows a major thing. People want Nintendo to be exactly like the other two, yet completely different. Nintendo has to find a balance. Innovation is something they need to continue doing as the PS4 and Xbox One are both very safe consoles and going the very safe path won't pay off forever. Nintendo was absolutely right to do the Wii U. Yes, it has flaws, but they did the right thing by creating it, they took a risk to create something unique. Hell, one of their mottos is to create something unique (
)

Nintendo should not drop handhelds. Nintendo should not capitulate solely to the demands of fanboys of other platforms who just won't buy it anyway. Nintendo should go a bit more in line with the industry, sure. Online absolutely, but they should remain unique and remain creating hardware that is unique. People continue to seem to think that consoles are all about power. They are somewhat, but that should not be the whole thing. It's not a horrible decision to try to be unique, like some people think, in fact it's probably the best thing for the industry as a whole. Will it always work? God no, but they should never stop trying and Iwata has put so many ventures forth so they can continue to experiment without a bad choice damaging the company as much as the Wii U and early 3DS blunders did.

I have faith the NX will be the balance of unique and powerful enough to placate those who see consoles more as numbers (like the guy in the video who made the claim that it'd get boring quick just because of specs) than as a portal into game worlds. Wii U is not a bad console, but there were mis-steps, and many people will never drop their view of Nintendo being "for kids", but they should never give up what makes them truly Nintendo.

Nintendo aren't a software company. They aren't a hardware company. They're an entertainment company that uses their software and hardware in a symbiosis like thing. Going third party or creating a third x86 device for the market would lose that as they'd no longer be creating something unique.

That's just how I see it really. Sorry if it was a ramble.

No, I think you articulated your opinion well.

But just wanted to respond to the bold part: What automatically differentiates Nintendo from the rest are their IPs! This can't be stressed enough. I think most 'fanboys' are just hungry for a basic serving of the franchises they have come to love - Not the mini game-like compilations or the consistent stream of one genre of game.

Whilst having a somewhat identical hardware set-up to the other two will just help third parties with seamless porting and perhaps the possibility of exclsuives, without any time consuming efforts to add motion controls/gamepad connectivity without any real financial benefit.

No, I think you articulated your opinion well.

But just wanted to respond to the bold part: What automatically differentiates Nintendo from the rest are their IPs! This can't be stressed enough. I think most 'fanboys' are just hungry for a basic serving of the franchises they have come to love - Not the mini game-like compilations or the consistent stream of one genre of game.

Whilst having a somewhat identical hardware set-up to the other two will just help third parties with seamless porting and perhaps the possibility of exclsuives, without any time consuming efforts to add motion controls/gamepad connectivity without any real financial benefit.

It's not just the IPs that make Nintendo different though. In each generation, barring the Gamecube generation, they've attempted to revolutionise gameplay too. They did it with the NES, they did it with the SNES, they did it with the N64, they did it with the Wii and they attempted it with the Wii U (and I feel they succeeded in an evolution, not revolution way). That's a big part of what made them unique, not just the characters. They can't necessarily innovate with gameplay as much if they're shackled to standard hardware, new hardware choices/additions (that are mandatory to the system) are a great way of changing things up

Though, granted, the IP are huge.

How exactly did they do it with the SNES?

And you talk as if the others never innovate or think outside the box at all.